PDA

View Full Version : So...Valka's braid tutorial? (how to train your dragon)

LadyCelestina
October 10th, 2014, 08:00 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't popped up (or has it?).There were only a couple of scenes where you could see the whole hairstyle.A google search only yielded Astrid's braid.Did anyone try to re-create the hairstyle here? :) Or any links to a tutorial ?

Sharysa
October 10th, 2014, 01:27 PM
YAY! Unfortunately, I'm about as lost as you on full shots of Valka's hair.

As far as I can tell, she has three braids that hit around thigh-length, but I don't know whether they're French/Dutch or standard braids. She TUCKS HER HAIR INTO HER CLOAK to keep it from being a health hazard! :applause On one hand, I love that the designers thought that out, but on the other hand, it makes recreating 90% of her style hard.

Entangled
October 10th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I think there was one clear shot, but I can't find it on the Internet.

rowie
October 10th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I don't mean to sound ignorant, but who is this Valka? It sounds like something from World of Warcraft or something. :lol:

Eta; found it. Interesting character!

If anyone is interested I found someone's drawing a lot better to get an idea of what you are talking about!

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Valka-460975015

Sharysa
October 10th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Awesome, Rowie!

So it looks like it's just three plain braids that are tied off at various points for easier braiding.

Aeris
October 10th, 2014, 07:47 PM
This gif has a good close-up of the back of her head where the braids start..I'm not really sure what's going on or how she did that though :p
http://gooreviewsonline.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/hugging.gif?w=690

edit: oh! here is a still of it, much better:
http://medias.gifboom.com/medias/t_978643370ef6404fbde51ebf24196b99.jpg

Entangled
October 10th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Given what I've seen of the braid animation in How to Train Your Dragon, I would say it doesn't matter exactly how you do the three braids. Astrid and Ruffnut's braids tend to be chunky and random, with no apparent order to the strands, so I wouldn't be surprised that Valka's look the same. I would do three strands, but occasionally cross from the same side twice to make it random. I might also throw in a few knots, if you're interested. They look cool, but I usually avoid them because they're not the most gentle. You could also experiment and make one strand much larger than the others. So, I would do three random braids and wrap them in various places with leather strips or beads. I would also (at one or two points,) exchange strands between the braids so the three braids are connected at one point. If you want them to be full like hers, you might braid in a matching paranda or scarf. Of course, my hair isn't long enough to try this out and make it look good.:shrug:

Edit: Never mind on the joining the three braids together. Scratch that. I would tie it off at random points though, and play with braid tension.

Sharysa
October 10th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I don't know, Dreamworks' braids aren't the most reliable way to gauge thickness. Everyone has ridonkulously thick braids, so combined with the general random-chunk feel of the actual braid pattern, I'd say they're going for a more stylized/animated effect with the hair.

Georgii
October 10th, 2014, 09:27 PM
I found a picture! Here (http://monologoandkomposi.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/image5.jpg?w=700) it seems to be a segregated braid?

Sharysa
October 10th, 2014, 09:38 PM
By "segregated," do you just mean "a bunch of separate braids?"

LadyCelestina
October 11th, 2014, 09:36 AM
From where she is hugging Hiccup it looks like those are regular messy english braids,started a bit before the elastic,then it is conjoined somewhere in the middle I think (can't see it from the picture but it looked like the braids joined together in the film),but the ends are loose

rusika1
October 11th, 2014, 12:24 PM
That last picture almost looks like the some individual sections are randomly twisted before crossing over? I think I'd go with somewhat unevenly sectioned hair. I'd also braid for a bit, tie off as though I were finished, then resection and braid some more. In other words, making three long braids, then going back and adding ties down the length would quite look right.

On second look, are some of the sections loose rope braids?