PDA

View Full Version : COers who also dye your hair...

DarleneH
October 10th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Does the CO remove enough of buildup (both from natural oils and styling products) that dye will take well and evenly? Or is it better to shampoo if you're going to color your hair?

LeonineMane
October 10th, 2014, 06:02 AM
I've never had a problem with it (chemical or veggie dye).

In2wishin
October 10th, 2014, 06:23 AM
I've never had a problem either. One thing I have noticed is that my color stays truer much longer with CO washing. Shampoo tends to slowly strip it away.

dezibela
October 10th, 2014, 07:51 AM
^^^ This. Plus, I always thought (perhaps wrongly) that it was better to go for a color job with hair that is *not* freshly washed. Something about giving the dye something to stick to. No idea if that's true, but it's what I do & it's never caused me a problem.

Robot Ninja
October 10th, 2014, 08:23 AM
With deposit dyes you're supposed to have super-clean hair and conditioner closes up the cuticle so shampooing without using conditioner before you dye will probably help it penetrate better. Buildup will make it uneven or not take at all. But after it's colored, yes, CO-washing does help the color last longer.

I never had any problems CO-washing and using chemical dyes. You're supposed to use them on dirty hair but I don't know if that's because of the oils (apparently coconut oiling before using chemical dyes helps protect against damage and makes the dye stick better.)