PDA

View Full Version : New shampoo promises to grow hair faster

Hotrox
October 9th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Have you seen this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2785528/Can-WASH-hair-longer-A-new-shampoo-promises-make-hair-grow-99-faster-FRANCES-CHILDS-test.html

Such bad hair advice coupled with an unnecessary expensive product. Makes me feel sad but also a little curious about whether the concept could actually work!

SnottyDotty
October 9th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Honestly I learned to not believe a single word written in the Daily Mail :)

Even if it proved to be true I don't think I'd try these products; I don't have time to wash and air dry my hair every day. Also my scalp would hate me.

farmlass
October 9th, 2014, 04:38 AM
You need much more testing before you can start to make claims like that. The reporter said her hair grew 3mm more that month she was using it than the month before. That is not very scientific, hormones, and many other factors can affect hair growth rates. They have also only tested it on a small handful of people. It needs months or years of testing, on a much larger cross-section of the population before they can make any claims. Personally, I think it's a load of rubbish, yet another company making a killing out of selling a phoney product.

Gertrude
October 9th, 2014, 04:52 AM
There is one born every minute as my grandfather used to say. He also said there was nothing new under the sun. Shampoo does not grow hair, it would need to be a licensed medication to do that.

Isilme
October 9th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Please, someone give this women a packet of henna or cassia, then send her here to read!

DreamSheep
October 9th, 2014, 04:58 AM
The scientist inside me is sobbing histerically :p

I'm curious about this claim of "99%" - did they try it on a bald person who grew a whole (normal) centimeter? Still, I agree that the claims don't seem to be well supported.

Zindell
October 9th, 2014, 05:09 AM
New shampoo promises to grow hair faster

Bah, just another snake oil. :p

Angels+Eyeliner
October 9th, 2014, 05:39 AM
I always have a problem reading anything written for the Daily Fail, because they always manage to push some deep-down irate button I don't normally have. The fact that this reporter has forgotten all her priorities (giving her daughter a bar of chocolate for breakfast two days in a row just so she could wash her flipping hair?) was enough to remind me why I don't normally click on their articles.

The conclusion was basically that her hair grew a tiny amount more (my hair grows almost an inch a month, I wouldn't even notice an extra 3mm) and that her hairdresser (who would be paid for a trim) said it was getting long. The experts couldn't agree what about the product might work, all still touting their pet theories.

Not to mention, the poor woman's hair was being stripped and coated every day, and then straightened!

And, of course, it wouldn't be the Daily Mail if it didn't remind us that a woman's place is to look pretty for her man.

UniqueWabbit
October 9th, 2014, 05:49 AM
I wish it was true. But as someone else pointed out, if we washed our hair every single day it would be super dry. They just want you to use the product up really fast and have you buy a new bottle every month for about 6 months until you find out it didn't work. How can it do all of that if it's just on your hair for the time it takes to shampoo it? I'm with the others thinking it's just another money grab.

momschicklets
October 9th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Yay! I've just ordered 14 bottles!!! Just kidding :p

Hotrox
October 9th, 2014, 06:12 AM
I totally agree with you all, it's all hokey. It's just such a shame to see that products and daily washing still being touted the way to long healthy hair. I see old Phillip Kingsley managed to get his daily washing philosophy another mention!

Anyway, hopefully most people know what is written in the Daily Mail has no basis in reality!

cathair
October 9th, 2014, 06:16 AM
If it worked, it would have to be sold on prescription as a drug not a cosmetic, the same as if anti-wrinkle cream actually worked. </end thread> :)

Nice to see even Daily Washer Philip Kingsley is dubious. Agree with all the Daily Fail comments.

lapushka
October 9th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Can you imagine there are actually people out there who believe this cr*p? :rolleyes:

hanne jensen
October 9th, 2014, 07:37 AM
I don't think the poo and conditioner worked. What probably worked was the massaging as stated by a real trichologist in the article. I know that I have increased my hairgrowth by massaging my scalp until it tingles every evening. This is free as I already own a scalp and already own 2 hands with all fingers attached. What a load of hooey.

Madora
October 9th, 2014, 07:49 AM
LORD, what fools these mortals be! P. T. Barnum is alive and well..and selling snake oil formulas again!

diddiedaisy
October 9th, 2014, 08:29 AM
I actually tried this last December/January. I know, I know but I was new to this hair malarkey.
I had lost so much hair I had decent sized see through patches on my scalp and I was desperate as well as ignorant!!!

It didn't improve my growth surprise surprise, but it did give me straw hair. Not quite the look I was going for and I ended up cutting up to 2 inches off my length. Booooo

gustavonut
October 9th, 2014, 08:35 AM
The only way to grow hair is to treat is like it's silk. I treat my hair like it's my best friend and it's gotten a lot softer and more manageable.
My hair loves to be oiled every day.

Hootenanny
October 9th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Well, at least folks in the comments of the ad... ahem, article all seems to realize that this is complete BS.

spidermom
October 9th, 2014, 08:48 AM
results may vary