PDA

View Full Version : Help for my damaged layers

Nadine <3
October 8th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Hi everyone!

So I've bee fairly pleased with my hair, aside from the layering I'm still cursed with! All of it is gone in the back since I've been frequently trimming to get ride of it, but the hairstylist really did a number on the sides with a razor. The hair is an inch - two inches shorter than the rest of it and it's looking rather ratty. I've been S&Ding them frequently because I'm getting some pretty ugly splits and breakage. They just generally look frazzled and not nice! I just want these bits to catch up but they're growing soooo slow and the ends are breaking off!!:( I take special care to oil them heavier when I use coconut oil and I'm keeping them tucked in buns and braids...when I use my leave in I even give these bits extra spritzes to try and keep them soft and happy. What else can I do? Or am I just doomed to always having these funny frazzled bits??

gustavonut
October 8th, 2014, 01:52 PM
The only thing I can say (and you are going to hate it..) is maybe get it cut to the length of the layers? :/ I dunno man. I have some pretty bad layers myself. Along with bangs that I wish would just grow out already. I know it's sad but it's the only thing that can make it look like all the same length. I've considered getting cut so I don't have the layers but nah. I'm going to wait till the layered part is a bit longer, and then I'll get it cut. :) that's all I can really say, hehe.

Nadine <3
October 8th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I knew someone was going to suggest I chop LOL that would take me all the way back to collar bone length though :/ It would be nice to get rid of the layers and have all healthy nice hair but I might cry if I whacked it all off. I'm guessing I should just stick with maintaining at APL until they catch up...

divinedobbie
October 8th, 2014, 02:24 PM
The only thing I can say (and you are going to hate it..) is maybe get it cut to the length of the layers? :/ I dunno man. I have some pretty bad layers myself. Along with bangs that I wish would just grow out already. I know it's sad but it's the only thing that can make it look like all the same length. I've considered getting cut so I don't have the layers but nah. I'm going to wait till the layered part is a bit longer, and then I'll get it cut. :) that's all I can really say, hehe.

My life story. OP, all I can suggest is patience. I know, it sucks.

brickworld13
October 8th, 2014, 02:24 PM
It sounds like they may be damaged. I would try cutting the entire layer by about an inch and see if that alleviates the frazzled ends. I know it will make it take longer to grow out, but the ends won't misbehave as much. I had layers for a while and had to have them trimmed to keep the ends from being horrible.

Nadine <3
October 8th, 2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks everyone...I took a deep breath and trimmed the layers. I took off about a half inch. If they still give me trouble I'll take off another half inch later but they already look and feel so much better. Hopefully I got enough off that the ends will stop breaking and causing so many tangles!

Sparklylady82
October 8th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Getting ready to do the same thing. I wanted to grow my layers out but they are getting so bad and split. It's been 6 months since I've cut the outer layers.

Crumpet
October 8th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Its probably the razor cut that made them so prone to splitting and whatnot. Razors are hard on hair ends. I think you did the right thing to trim them. I'm growing out layers too (not razored) and still need to trim them now and then so they don't frazzle and break. So long as you still trim them less than the rest of your hair, they'll catch up!

Nadine <3
October 8th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Getting ready to do the same thing. I wanted to grow my layers out but they are getting so bad and split. It's been 6 months since I've cut the outer layers.

Good luck with your layers! They're such a pain in my butt and I can't wait for them to be gone! I guess I kinda forgot that those ends need to be cared for too...I did a great job protecting my ends, but I haven't trimmed my layers since I got them over a year ago. Trimming them never crossed my mind.

Its probably the razor cut that made them so prone to splitting and whatnot. Razors are hard on hair ends. I think you did the right thing to trim them. I'm growing out layers too (not razored) and still need to trim them now and then so they don't frazzle and break. So long as you still trim them less than the rest of your hair, they'll catch up!

That probably explained why I would usually love my layers for about a month after I get them done. After that they would be frazzled and yucky looking. For some reason stylists think I need lots of choppy, razored layers. I'm glad I stopped letting stylists decide how my hair should look :)

Federica
October 9th, 2014, 01:56 AM
Patience patience patience, nothing else.
If you don't want to chop it all back to your bangs lenght (and I suppose you don't), just ignore them.
I know how hard it is, I'm also growing out bangs since like, uhm, 3 years! not funny at all to grow bangs from chin to hip, I swear.
Microtrimming the rest will allow the bangs to catch up, sooner or later. Or at least this is what I keep telling myself :D
Keep on S&Ding and if your bangs are REALLY damaged or breaking off (THANKS, RAZOR CUT) you could microtrim it as well, just less often than the rest of your hair.

Here's the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109123&highlight=growing+bangs) about growing out bangs and fringe!

ETA: Just noticed that you were talking about layers, and not bangs.
So here's another link to a support thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351&highlight=growing+layers+complain)!

lapushka
October 9th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Maintaining at APL really isn't that bad. Your hem will gradually thicken up, most likely with each trim you do. Happy growing!