PDA

View Full Version : Back to Basics - Bunning 101 Tips For All Hair Types and Lengths (Updo 101 basics)

rowie
October 8th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I know the topic of updos are all scattered everywhere throughout LHC. I found some comprehensive lists for updos like these two:

The (tentative) Bun and Braid Reference Thread! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112682)
Hair Style Dictionary Instruction links - please help! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=259752#post259752)

While a lot of the instructions gives an idea of how to accomplish these updos, a lot of what is missing I feel are important tips that work for your own current length (also texture in some cases), and also the appropriate "tension", fingering techniques, etc. Someone with mid back length will have a different experience or technique to accomplish a certain look versus someone with knee length hair. Also something to consider is someone who has curly hair will have a different experience than those with straighter hair. Hence, I wanted to be able to start a new thread where I can share my tips, going back to the basics (things I take for granted) and also read other peoples' success tips in accomplishing a certain style. It would be nice to have a thread to revisit for each new milestones reached, because I find that every milestone is like having to re-learn all my favorite updos to accommodate the needs of that length. Nothing worse I find is not being able to make a personal favorite updo work because of that new milestone, or maybe explore options or techniques to help alleviate tension to prevent headaches from certain updos.

I hope this thread can grow in time so that anyone can have a reference, compilation of "golden" tips for any style of updo from members here. So please come share your tips, and techniques. Don't see a tip for your hair type/length? Feel free to share your tips or even concerns or frustrations (maybe someone in this community who has a similar hair type can jump in and help or add tips). Any contribution will give those who have your similar hair texture and length, a point of reference that can be used or applied. Any frustrations you may have with bunning? Please share them! I know I still need help with pinning placements or even working on my tension for certain buns.

I'll start first. I have multi textured hair that range from 1c-2c, and my hair is very coarse, almost like horse hair texture.:lol: I'm currently at hip length with some of my ends brushing down to BCL. Recent tip i've learned on here is testing out the tension of my updo. I call it;

Rule of thumb: When completing an updo, you should be able to wiggle your thumb (or any of your fingers) in your hair and any area of your head. If you cannot wiggle your thumb (or finger) in certain areas of your hair, it means you are making your updo too tight. Depending on the updo style I now do the finger or thumb test in areas that I feel are sections where breakage are more prone to happen depending on the style of updo. Also test sensitive areas like the front hair line, sides, etc. In this case I did a simple sectioned lazy wrap bun without any braiding. Areas i'd check for tensions are as follows:

http://i.imgur.com/kHVF61Sl.jpg

So far i'm able to wiggle my finger in these section so i'm free to keep my updo. If I couldn't wiggle in any section i've just tested out, than I think it would be worth my while to redo my updo because those tight tensions will be bad for the roots of my hair (also i'm essentially trying to avoid the path to alopecia). Also if I did a second test where I failed this test, than i'd explore doing an updo where I can pass this test. I remember when I was at APL length, I used to make my updos tight because it was the only way for me to get it to work because I felt like I needed to stretch my hair to accommodate the length needed for a particular updo. Had I known this tip, I could of avoided times when an updo gave me a headache, and I probably would of explored other updo options where I can pass the finger test.

hennalonghair
October 8th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Oh thank you so much!
This is quite detailed instruction!
Awesome!!!

kittenface
October 8th, 2014, 12:09 PM
This is a great idea for a thread imo! I know all of *drumroll* 3 updos, but I'm trying to learn more, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Nieve
October 8th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Thank you so much for this thread!

I find trying to lay a braid into a bun shape is so difficult. I just cannot figure out how to do it the braid is always on its side so it doesn't look right. Most people just braid them wrap the braid round like a cinnabun. I wish it was so simple!

Entangled
October 8th, 2014, 02:11 PM
The tension thing is a good idea!
For me, on (I think it's called lazy wrap rather than nautilus?) if you can't pull the center above the outer ring of hair, it will be too tight.

Entangled
October 8th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Oh, and for braids-to-buns, my hair isn't long enough to cinnabun them, so I go the opposite way and start at the end of the braid and roll it up. It's not as secure as a braid wrapped around its base, but it's pretty and holds well with spin pins.

brickworld13
October 8th, 2014, 02:20 PM
rowie, that purple Ficcare looks fabulous in your dark hair.

I find trying to lay a braid into a bun shape is so difficult. I just cannot figure out how to do it the braid is always on its side so it doesn't look right. Most people just braid them wrap the braid round like a cinnabun. I wish it was so simple!

I have trouble with this too, and I'm not entirely sure why. I think it might have to do with taper, but I'm not positive. I can make buns with smaller braids, but not with all of my hair in the same braid. So the double braided bun is easy for me, but making one Dutch/French braid and turning it into a bun is impossible. I have to fold it and use a claw clip.

meteor
October 8th, 2014, 02:40 PM
I like the logic behind the thumb-test, however, my updos simply won't hold if I can stick finger in there - I have slippery hair. Any tips for hair that escapes updos? So far, what helps me is using claw-clips/pins around the perimeter and using oils and leave-ins to make hair hold better - the dirtier it is the better it holds. :lol:

Nieve, brickworld13, for braided buns, have you tried starting English braid from not very close to your scalp? Sort of starting it loosely and then wrapping around the (unbraided or losely braided) base close to your scalp? I don't do a real cinnabun with the braid, more of a braided knot, just tucking the ends under the main blob.
(Sorry if it was clear as mud, I suck at instructions. :oops: )

brickworld13
October 8th, 2014, 02:57 PM
meteor, I will attempt that later and see if it is truly mud or just murky. :D

tokugawa.miyako
October 8th, 2014, 03:12 PM
Woah, those are some comprehensive lists you linked to! That's really helpful because my knowledge of buns and updos is severely lacking. I second the "slippery hair" question though. Mine doesn't like to hold a lot of the time.

rowie
October 8th, 2014, 03:14 PM
This is a great idea for a thread imo! I know all of *drumroll* 3 updos, but I'm trying to learn more, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.
Aww thanks! I hope it is as i'd like a thread where I can look for info or ask help for any troubles I may have for any updos I am exploring currently and in the future. Can't wait to see what your are trying to explore. Three updos, wow I have a hard time just learning one updo at a time.

I'm not sure if you have a particular updo in mind. Generally with a simple braid you should be able to perform the techniques for any style updo (i.e, nautilus, LWB, cinna bun, etc). With these types of styles you can secure it with a clip , stick or fork as usual. However, if you are referring to a more stationary braid style that incorporates a French braid or a Dutch braid, then the technique would be different. Which would sometimes require the use of pins for rolled up braided updo styles. I'm not sure what your hair length is so this will have a different impact on the end results.

The simple kinds are like the Flipped braid types. FrannyG is a good example for the shorter lengths like this:
* Hairstyle How-To: Flipped Braid (http://frannyslonghair.blogspot.com/2010/04/hairstyle-how-to-flipped-braid.html)

I think I did this style when I was getting close to reaching APL
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/My%20Ficcare%20Collection/51d5dc08-a434-459a-9383-15be8a7ff238_zps8e9ac8ab.jpg

I'd probably at hip length can't get away with this style anymore since i'd have a hard time making it secure so that the clip I use won't hurt. An alternative i'd revisit would be "The Masara" updo that Torrinpage created:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND5dJXnBs2k

again, I wish I could offer more advice, but i'm not sure if you are getting frustrated with how to make an "overall shape" of the bun (which would depend on the style or type of bun you are trying to achieve).

Oh, and for braids-to-buns, my hair isn't long enough to cinnabun them, so I go the opposite way and start at the end of the braid and roll it up. It's not as secure as a braid wrapped around its base, but it's pretty and holds well with spin pins.

I'd have to agree with you, as I sometimes used even regular bobby pins, or even the clear magic grips or an Amish Pins. I generally save the Amish pins for more compacted braided buns like the braided cinnabun. I think adding some type of pin helps to reinforce the structure of the overall bun.

ETA: Also for the nautilus bun it really depends how you make the knot big. If I make the knot a little bit bigger than what it calls for, it at least for me helps alleviate the tension when securing the initial knot. I think also now that i'm practicing to lightly wrap the hair around the base is another thing that is helping me with this. How do you make your initial knot? Do you use all of your hand twist and pull and the end will form a knot that you use to secure the initial knot. Or do you form the knot without the twisting or pulling method?

rowie, that purple Ficcare looks fabulous in your dark hair.

I have trouble with this too, and I'm not entirely sure why. I think it might have to do with taper, but I'm not positive. I can make buns with smaller braids, but not with all of my hair in the same braid. So the double braided bun is easy for me, but making one Dutch/French braid and turning it into a bun is impossible. I have to fold it and use a claw clip.

Aww thank you!:flower: I don't have a lot of toys (only Ficcare), but I have some from Makers that are no longer in production only because I was experimenting by purchasing toys to see if they will work for me, but it seems like that will be never ending and so I just stick to what I like the best. :)

I totally agree with you, I'm only at hip and i'm starting to love doing sectioned types of buns. I now have a hard time doing a single braided nautilus and also the other versions. However, if I do a vortex bun, or any type of sectional braiding it seems to alleviate the tension for me.

I like the logic behind the thumb-test, however, my updos simply won't hold if I can stick finger in there - I have slippery hair. Any tips for hair that escapes updos? So far, what helps me is using claw-clips/pins around the perimeter and using oils and leave-ins to make hair hold better - the dirtier it is the better it holds. :lol:

Nieve, brickworld13, for braided buns, have you tried starting English braid from not very close to your scalp? Sort of starting it loosely and then wrapping around the (unbraided or losely braided) base close to your scalp? I don't do a real cinnabun with the braid, more of a braided knot, just tucking the ends under the main blob.
(Sorry if it was clear as mud, I suck at instructions. :oops: )

That is interesting, yeah oiling does help. So you have a good suggestion with that. I like to use my favorite oils after I have detangled. I guess if someone didn't use oils they can lightly mist their hair with water (unless they are in the NW/SO routine). I sometimes have hairs that will slip out of my updo, or my updo will just sag. I'm now exploring ways to add extra security with my updos simply by using bobby pins, or magic grips and the like. Maybe someone with 1a type hair can offer suggestions please!

brickworld13
October 8th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I have the slippery hair problem, and I'm mostly 1a. I can't do much of anything with my hair when it's clean. Dirty it up with sebum, oil, or some powder and it holds much better. I use cocoa powder if I'm trying to do something challenging. I just have to keep it off my scalp or it makes me itch. ETA: I've also used aloe gel. Mostly I use U-pins and spin pins because my hair likes to shoot bobby pins at people.

Madora
October 8th, 2014, 04:21 PM

Nieve, the secret to doing a simple one braid bun is: to braid it loosely (be sure it has just a little slack at the very top of the braid).
Then, start the coil on your head by holding the flat side of the braid snugly against your scalp with your hand. The fingers should be outspread as much as possible so it can hold the bun against your hair as you form it. Pin the bun in the 4 directions with 3 inch crimped hairpins. Bobby pins are rubbish for long hair styles. Bobby pins are meant to hold SMALL, THIN wisps of hair. You want to use a crimped 3 inch hairpin (Amish pin or Good Days faux plastic pin).

Continue holding the flat side of the braid around your head as you coil it into a bun. When finished, tuck the tassle under the bun. You need to use more than just 4 crimped hairpins if you want your bun to stay rock solid.

There is a method of using crimped hairpins (which I illustrated with a photo shoot) in another thread.

The hairpins should never be scraping or hurting your scalp. Your bun should not feel "tight"..no pulling hair from the front or side either. If you feel tension from front/side hairs, you've combed back the hair too tightly! Detangle again and try the style anew.

@ROWIE...excellent post re: tension! Wiggle room is what it's all about for comfy, hair friendly updos!

rags
October 8th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I have the slippery hair problem. I mist my hair with water if it's washday. That or use a Ficcare or stab it with a four-peong fork. If I've used cones, everything but the Ficcare will fail on washday though!

As a general rule, mist with water, have dirty hair, add oil or some sort of dry shampoo.Otherwise it will slide RIGHT out. (And I even have a teeny bit of wave. Mine doesn't care; it will slide out of elastics some days. )
OH, and my favorite - if I know I really, really want an undo to hold and it's washday, I rag curl it after washing it (I wash at night). The curls give it some good texture that really helps hold. Braid waves will work too.

Robot Ninja
October 8th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Ooh, I have a problem that needs troubleshooting!

So I make my bun, I have the wiggle-room you mentioned, all is good. No headaches, as the weight is pretty well distributed at this point. Until a few hours later, when the weight of the bun pulls it down my head, and it starts pulling on the hairs around my hairline. The only way to prevent this is to make my bun way tight, but then it pulls on all my hair and is never comfortable.

Suggestions?

Great idea for a thread, by the way.

gthlvrmx
October 8th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I never knew about the finger testing thank you so much for putting it up! I think i've been making my buns too tight then!

rowie
October 9th, 2014, 10:16 AM

So I make my bun, I have the wiggle-room you mentioned, all is good. No headaches, as the weight is pretty well distributed at this point. Until a few hours later, when the weight of the bun pulls it down my head, and it starts pulling on the hairs around my hairline. The only way to prevent this is to make my bun way tight, but then it pulls on all my hair and is never comfortable.

Suggestions?

I think you bring up a really difficult question because I know this will depend on hair texture and hair length. I know a lot of my friends on here who have slippery silky straight hair complain about buns unravelling, and also having to redo certain updos throughout the day. *cough* *cough* Kaelee i'm talking about you! I think for her now that she is getting close to hip length she hasn't complained to me much about this because I've noticed she wears her buns low in a simple nautilus or lwb. She uses the usual sticks and forks, flexi 8s, and the occasional Ficcare clip.

In my case I used to be able to wear high buns, even as high as a ballerina bun. But I differ from you because I have grippy hairs to begin with. At my current length I tend to avoid high buns because they become just to weighty for me. Now that I think of it, even if I wear my buns midway it will sag and further loosen up. But to me this depends on what I use. If I use sticks or forks, i'll have to redo my updo 2-3 times within the day. If I use a ficcare clip my bun will be stay put like a solid rock, but then again Ficcares are costly and the older models are insanely costly because they are much more prized by some of the more veteran members in here. I think rags is a good example who has your hair texture and I'd have to go with her recommendation:

I have the slippery hair problem. I mist my hair with water if it's washday. That or use a Ficcare or stab it with a four-peong fork. If I've used cones, everything but the Ficcare will fail on washday though!

As a general rule, mist with water, have dirty hair, add oil or some sort of dry shampoo.Otherwise it will slide RIGHT out. (And I even have a teeny bit of wave. Mine doesn't care; it will slide out of elastics some days. )
OH, and my favorite - if I know I really, really want an undo to hold and it's washday, I rag curl it after washing it (I wash at night). The curls give it some good texture that really helps hold. Braid waves will work too.

Her recommendation for a four prong might be beneficial in helping to contain your slippery hair in a bun. I just tend to avoid the four prong fork because no matter how careful I am i'd hear some hairs snap. If I use regular bobby pins, I can get it to stay without it sagging. But I find this method time consuming and I don't like having to search for pins when I remove my updo because I get a tangle mess. Claw clips work for a lot of people, but those don't look good on me and so I save those for lounging days at home or if I want to keep my hair contained in a shower cap. I'd probably re visit my sticks and forks if I could ever reach classic and beyond. I just wish I knew if sticks and forks will start to hold better at those lengths because you can wrap more hair for more support to certain buns, and i'm hoping that I'll be able to wear my buns a little bit higher and it won't ever sag or droop down with sticks and forks. Anyone with classic and beyond have better success with sticks and forks not unraveling in an updo by the end of the day?

Federica
October 9th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Well, I don't know if it fits to this thread, but I've never been able to do a cinnabun.
It always turns out to be a ball of hair, no matter how carefully I twist the hair, or brush it before, or even when I did (eeeek) flat iron it (loooong time ago).

Madora
October 9th, 2014, 11:01 AM

Suggestions?

First of all, what kind of bun are you describing?
Two: how did you make it?
Three: what held it up? Hairpins, sticks or a fork?

Based on the info you supplied, it would seem your bun problem could be due to 2 things:
a) Not sectioning the bun
b) Not using enough hairpins to secure it

For the sake of your hair and to avoid damage, never, ever, pull it tightly! You're just asking for traction alopecia if you do this over time! Not worth it!

Clarkie
October 9th, 2014, 11:04 AM
OMG this is a fantastic idea for a thread, thank you so much Rowie. I've spent loads of time on youtube watching bun tutorials but getting advice from the pros here is priceless!!

Robot Ninja
October 9th, 2014, 11:37 AM
First of all, what kind of bun are you describing?
Two: how did you make it?
Three: what held it up? Hairpins, sticks or a fork?

Based on the info you supplied, it would seem your bun problem could be due to 2 things:
a) Not sectioning the bun
b) Not using enough hairpins to secure it

For the sake of your hair and to avoid damage, never, ever, pull it tightly! You're just asking for traction alopecia if you do this over time! Not worth it!

I have the problem with lazy wrap buns, nautilus buns, and my unholy mess version of a cinnamon bun. Both braided and not.
I'm securing them with a hairstick. Using two parallel sticks doesn't help, and all I have are Ead sticks so I can't wear them crossed, because they're too thick. Although I'll be ordering a Quattro fork as soon as Paypal lets me, so maybe that'll help?
It also happens with Chinese buns, but I tie the ponytail with pantyhose which isn't super-secure.

My pitiful updo skills aren't really up to sectioned buns.

Yeah, I redo my bun if it's too tight. It hurts! But I'm starting to worry about traction alopecia at the hairline now, what with all the tension my slipping buns are putting on those hairs.

There is also the possibility that I have naturally slippery hair. It's hard to tell, because only the first 9 inches or so are virgin, but if those 9 inches are slippery then that might be contributing to the problem.

DreamSheep
October 9th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I made this video recently (you may have seen it in another thread) which I think would help for bunning with hair that is either a bit short or thick, and slippery.

1) Wrap hair around one or two fingers than around the whole hand
2) Pin the hair tightly over the ends so they don't poke out.
3) I like the rule of thumb, but my updos cannot be so slack when using a stick, otherwise it slips out. There has to be a bit of wiggle room which I achieve by "massaging" with my hands. If it is still too tight, then I redo it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b6WVvzfV9U

meteor
October 9th, 2014, 05:05 PM
DreamSheep, that's such an awesome tutorial! :D Thank you so much for posting! I love your gorgeous hair and your presentation style! :D

rags, thank you so much for the recommendation to use water on slippery hair - water is like a perfect styling aid, because it evaporates and leaves hair clean, unlike oils, conditioners, aloe, etc.

I love this thread and all the ideas shared here! :D

Robot Ninja, if your updos are sliding down under the weight of hair, why not try very simple kind of sectioning: where you make a bun from a half-up, braid or twist the remaining hair and place it around the base bun with U-pins/small claw-clips? When I do this, my hair stays put even on slippery days. It's also super-comfy on scalp.
I find something like this works very well, too, and holds all day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXu9enBrK0

LadyLongLocks
October 12th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Keeping the hair loose is very important when wearing a bun. I expressed this point in my last hair tutorial "Pretzel Bun 2014".
I have been doing a ponytail first for many of my buns. This helps distribute the weight of the hair for me. Any hair that is pulling is loosened right away.

lapushka
October 13th, 2014, 07:06 AM
I have the problem with lazy wrap buns, nautilus buns, and my unholy mess version of a cinnamon bun. Both braided and not.
I'm securing them with a hairstick. Using two parallel sticks doesn't help, and all I have are Ead sticks so I can't wear them crossed, because they're too thick. Although I'll be ordering a Quattro fork as soon as Paypal lets me, so maybe that'll help?
It also happens with Chinese buns, but I tie the ponytail with pantyhose which isn't super-secure.

Maybe try a 2-prong or 3-prong fork, see if that helps. I wear a LWB 24/7 and wear a fork and don't get this issue. I don't know why you are having problems or why. Maybe the length of your hair has something to do with it. I know I had all sorts of issues when my hair wasn't yet long enough.

Laurenji
October 13th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Slippery haired person here! I cannot get a lazy wrap bun to stay solid to save my life, even with a 3-prong fork, and DEFINITELY not with a hairstick. I only use it when I need to put my hair up temporarily.

In fact, I can't get any bun to stay with just one hairstick. I never have. Amish pins are the only thing that I KNOW will hold my hair up all day. And sometimes a ficcare if I can put it in just right.

Charybdis
October 13th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Rowie, I am so impressed with your growth! Your hair looks beautiful.

I have thick wavy hair, with a variety of curl patterns among the individual hairs, mostly medium thickness. Now that I am past waist (past hip when wet), I can finally make a cinnabun work. The key for me is to use U-shaped hair pins (I use these (http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Essentials-Tipped-Waxy-Hairpins-for-Thick-Hair_1038163/), but Amish pins are probably even better) plus a hair stick. The hair stick supports most of the weight, but the hair pins keep everything in place so that the bun doesn't slide down and fall out after a few hours. I usually use about half a dozen hair pins with the stick (I use one of Ead's normal-thickness sticks, because I prefer a non-chunky stick), and if I get the stick placement right the bun will stay all day.

My nautilus method is similar to DreamSheep's, but as my hair is a bit longer I get more of a complete outer loop and hold with a horizontal hair stick instead of a vertical one. I find the nautilus stays longer if I add a second hair stick, but I can't get all day hold with this bun either unless I use some hair pins as well.

My hair isn't exactly slippery (it loves to grab onto itself), but it's springy and heavy, and is a bit of an escape artist for that reason.

dogzdinner
October 13th, 2014, 11:44 AM
This thread is actually quite encouraging! Its nice to know that others have problems with their 'do's too!
Bun tension is def an issue for me. I havent figured out yet how to get a decent hold without my hair pulling too tight and giving me a tender scalp. If I do a bun with no tension or pull I just know it will fall out within a few hours. If Im just going out for an hour or two then keep my tight rock steady bun (after my bun fell out whilst I had bent down to pick up dog poop! It was a near miss!LOL) otherwise I just have a looser one I have to redo several times a day.
For work (13hrs) I use the Elling Woman as it can be pinned without involving any scalp hair at all and is super comfy. That one is a work of genius!LOL

Santi
October 22nd, 2014, 05:17 PM
DreamSheep, great video. You are so cute & your hair is beautiful! It's so nice of you to share your video. :)

LauraLongLocks
October 22nd, 2014, 09:35 PM
Another one with slippery hair. My buns will slide down as well and pull on the hairs right behind my bangs. If I do the bun tighter, it holds better without sliding. If I do it too tight, it hurts and I have to redo it looser. If I do it too loose, it slides and sometimes will even fall out completely. I have been thinking of starting some of my buns with JJJ's idea using a ponytail holder. That would help distribute the weight a bit better and prevent the sliding I think. It's just that I have to be careful with my fine hair and using ponytail holders too often. My hair will rub or break off easily because it is fragile. Though I love the weight distribution of dutch and french braiding, it is time-consuming to do those types of braids, and I struggle to keep my sections separate. So, I usually do a quick bun of some sort and if it gets too loose or feels too tight after a few hours, I just take it down and switch to a different style midway through the day.

squirrrel
October 23rd, 2014, 01:20 AM
What a brilliant thread idea! :) Loving seeing all of these ideas - and thanks to whoever pointed out that for many of these styles hairpins are better than Kirby Grips (sorry,bobby pins..). I have fine slippery hair as well... Never ceases to amaze me just how some of my long strands manage to wind their way out of my rope crown braid by the end of the day (hairstyle of the moment for me!), but they do! That's one of the reasons I'm pretty well looking at the NW/SO routine as it means I get to skip that 'just washed' extra fly away type hair.

Only bun I've ever tried is put hair in pony tail and twist twist twist... Didn't know there was any other way to do it at that point though. Gave up on them as I found that my hair was struggling to stay nice in the twist - that's when I began looking at hairstyles and started to learn about crown braid - definitely easier for me with the rope twist version though! :)

One of my colleagues tells me she likes how 'bohemian' my hair is with the escaping strands and all... I'm hoping that I'll eventually learn to do it neatly though! :)

raudr
October 29th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Yikes, I never even thought of this! And I love to braid my hair every night and while it's wet. Definitely will keep in mind.

Crumpet
October 31st, 2014, 11:15 AM
Fine-haired Buns Question: I have a fair amount of hair, but it compacts into nothing when its bunned. My gibraltar buns, for example, are really tiny. I prefer the nautalis because it is more loose and looks bigger.

What other buns would be good for keeping my hair from looking too tiny when bunned?

LauraLongLocks
October 31st, 2014, 12:41 PM
Crumpet - the LWB is bigger on me than the nautilus. I don't do the gibralter often. I have to be careful with cinnabuns not to turn them into bee-butt buns. On the one hand it has to be tight enough to hold, and on the other hand, if I go too tight I get a bee-butt, lol.

truepeacenik
October 31st, 2014, 12:50 PM
Ok trouble shooters, here is a question.
My buns, no matter the type, of which I manage three, always shift stage left.
The hair is gathered in the center, but in twisting and securing...it does the electric slide off by a half inch or more.

Sometimes, repinning with the stick or fork will get it close to center again.

Im twisting with the right hand, palming with left.

What's causing this?

LauraLongLocks
October 31st, 2014, 02:14 PM
The hair is gathered in the center, but in twisting and securing...it does the electric slide off by a half inch or more.

What's causing this?

Are you left-handed? Mine always shift to the right. I'm right-handed, so I figured that was why.

ravenheather
November 1st, 2014, 07:48 AM
I would just start bun a little to the right to compensate.

rags
November 1st, 2014, 07:53 AM
Fine-haired Buns Question: I have a fair amount of hair, but it compacts into nothing when its bunned. My gibraltar buns, for example, are really tiny. I prefer the nautalis because it is more loose and looks bigger.

What other buns would be good for keeping my hair from looking too tiny when bunned?

Crumpet, I do a LWB with a three prong fork - the fork makes it look larger than it is! The Artemis bun can make kind of a "messy" bun effect if you do it with a stick or small two prong fork, whack looks larger. Gibralters are teeny on me, I don't do them much. Oh - and for sticks the hypnobun is larger too!

Also, if you have the time/patience, even thin/fine hair (mine is both) can look fabulous in a vortex bun!

DarleneH
November 1st, 2014, 06:51 PM
I have never been able to make a bun that wasn't painful in some way. :(

meteor
December 6th, 2014, 12:41 PM
For fine or slippery hair that escapes updos:
I just found a really cool trick on YouTube about how to help U-pins and forks stay in place and keep hair from sliding out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS7sisvbJp0
She puts a small elastic (Ouchless silicone one, I believe) on the ends of the prongs after bunning her hair. I think it should work well for some slippery-haired folks. :)

Laurenji
December 8th, 2014, 06:55 PM
I just found a really cool trick on YouTube about how to help U-pins and forks stay in place and keep hair from sliding out:
She puts a small elastic (Ouchless silicone one, I believe) on the ends of the prongs after bunning her hair. I think it should work well for some slippery-haired folks. :)

Ooooo, I may have to try that sometime . . . though my problem is not necessarily that the fork itself slips out, but that all of my hair around the fork escapes. So the fork doesn't move any, the hair just moves around it . . . if that makes any sense.

ravenheather
December 13th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I have that same Houdini hair. If it's being particularly difficult I Dutch braid and put the tail in a nautilus bun held with a FLEXI. That won't go anywhere.

Crystawni
December 13th, 2014, 11:42 PM
For my fine, slippery yet heavy mass of hair at MBL, I start most of my buns by twisting them like a cinnabun, and only use my fingers for making the loops (not my hand). As a righty, I hold the stem of my pony with my left hand, and twist the tail in a clockwise direction with my right. The twisting and flipping gets looser, though, until I'm not twisting anymore. Then, I bun this coil by looping it (clockwise for me) over my left hand (which is holding the pony) with the thumb below the stem, and fingers in a C shape around it. The hair coils over the left pointer and between the rest of my fingers that grab the hair in a loop while I spin the loose tail clockwise and grab and flick it around with my left thumb, and tuck. Then I boof out the loop with my right hand (pointer, mainly) by gently pulling it over and out of the centre bit, while doing the same on the left side with my left hand, to form the bun. I then follow my right pointer with a stick or fork, under, grab some scalp hair and out of the centre bit. The initial twisting seems to keep my hair rock solid all day with no redos, and often highlights the grain of my hair. Oh, and sometimes I do a double loop that looks kinda like a figure eight; pointer finger as mentioned, then another, smaller loop around my pinky, then wrap the tail as above and secure with a stick or flexi (pointer finger loop to the top right, pinky loop to the bottom left).

julee
December 15th, 2014, 12:05 AM

What's causing this?

I have the exact same problem. Even if I make a conscious effort I can't always get my updo to be in the centre.

brickworld13
August 21st, 2015, 10:30 AM
So, I know rowie is taking a break from LHC, but can anyone tell me what color that ficcare is that he's wearing in the OP? Pretty please. It looks really awesome in dark hair.

Groovy Granny
August 21st, 2015, 10:35 AM
Great links and info :thumbsup:
Bookmarked for my style practice ;)

Anje
August 21st, 2015, 11:58 AM
So, I know rowie is taking a break from LHC, but can anyone tell me what color that ficcare is that he's wearing in the OP? Pretty please. It looks really awesome in dark hair.
That's the Amethyst Jewel one. Relatively new, Ficcare still sells it. :)

brickworld13
August 21st, 2015, 12:02 PM
That's the Amethyst Jewel one. Relatively new, Ficcare still sells it. :)

:happydance: I'm going to add it to my wish list of pretties. I have to leave something for people to get me for presents.

MoreAutumnForMe
August 21st, 2015, 12:15 PM
I've got 2 slippery-hair tips! Forgive my clumsy language... I could be convinced to do a visual version.

1. When it was shorter, I always wanted to have my hair up in a flip, but it would sliiide out of the claw as soon as I let go. So I started a twisty bun, let's say counter clockwise, turned it left so there was a loop on top, and used the clip HORIZONTALLY on the top of the loop and the scalp hair. I had a cute little side floof that still looks pretty at BSL, and kept my fine tickly hair out of the way. It wasn't sturdy enough for lots of activity or (...not that I would know) exercise :P

2. A trick to stop hair sliding out of twisted buns: (works with both my claws and fork, but I don't have anything else) (flipping your hair upside down at the beginning helps it sit) On your last twist around, don't tuck your end in straight or completely hide it. Hold the very tip with your other hand and poke a loop through the next row of hair in. Catch that loop with your hair claw and give it a first squeeze, or go through it with a fork, and then fasten it to your scalp just a little :) With the claw, you close it again, and with the fork, you flip it right-side-up and wiggle it through the bun to the other side.

These styles will last the night if you're a side sleeper, or if you're a back sleeper who doesn't move around in your sleep. I sometimes feel the hairline-pull thing on top. I might try to move the bun forwards a little with my palm, or massage/loosen hair; if it's bad enough I have to take it out and detangle again, which makes the bun gentler. I always have a little bun sag / hairline pull, though. :/

meteor
August 21st, 2015, 01:36 PM
^ Sounds really great! I'd love to see how that is done, MoreAutumnForMe! I have trouble understanding instructions without videos or graphs/pictures. :oops:

A bun that I think works great for slippery hair that's long enough for this (maybe from hip+ ?) is L-Infinity: (by WaitingSoLong) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ
I can do this from an English braid and though my bun sags a bit if I'm active, it holds very well (because the hair forms 2 loops held with one tool, sort of "pinching" the whole style together).

MoreAutumnForMe
August 21st, 2015, 01:52 PM
^ Sounds really great! I'd love to see how that is done, MoreAutumnForMe! I have trouble understanding instructions without videos or graphs/pictures. :oops:

A bun that I think works great for slippery hair that's long enough for this (maybe from hip+ ?) is L-Infinity: (by WaitingSoLong) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ
I can do this from an English braid and though my bun sags a bit if I'm active, it holds very well (because the hair forms 2 loops held with one tool, sort of "pinching" the whole style together).

Will do! There's a post-it with your name on it - I shall report back :)

Thanks for the link. I saved it in my "hair" playlist. Not HL yet, but one day :heartbeat

meteor
August 21st, 2015, 02:14 PM
^ Thank you so very much, MoreAutumnForMe! :flowers: That would be so awesome!

mwallingford
August 21st, 2015, 09:01 PM
Well golly gee, you guys never fail to impress me with your unlimited knowledge of hairstyling tips and tricks! I agree that for me personally, a LWB will only hold well for me if it is secured with a fork. And spin pins, magic grip hair pins, and (flexi 8s in particular) do a wonderful job of holding up hair for me and spreading out the weight of said hair. :flower:

Groovy Granny
August 21st, 2015, 10:15 PM

Awesome; thanks for sharing that tip :thumbsup:

MoreAutumnForMe
August 22nd, 2015, 11:57 AM
^ Thank you so very much, MoreAutumnForMe! :flowers: That would be so awesome!

I've made an album :heartbeat Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12442) it is! I hope that helps a little. If it still doesn't make sense, let me know. :flowers: