PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bobby Pins?

Auntbeast
September 24th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I had some scunci bobby pins that in my opinion, are complete crap. I picked up some Goody pins and they are much better, but while wandering around the local Sally Beauty Supply they had an octagonal container of Bobby Pins, since I'm dead broke, I didn't pick them up.

So tell me folks, what are your favorite bobby pins?

Chromis
September 24th, 2008, 02:19 PM
My favourite bobby pins are the ones that Sally's sells in the black tins. The octagonal boxes might be the same only in bulk. I don't use them enough to need so many of them :)

heidihug
September 24th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I use bobby pins sometimes in a pinch, usually the big ones that are meant to hold in large bristled curlers. But I am quite taken with the plastic Good Days pins, which you can get at Sally's; I've even seen them at an occasional Walmart. They are $2 or less for 8, if I recall correctly.

CopperHead
September 24th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I have the Sally's pin that come in the octogonal container and they work very well. I have recently become an Amish hairpin convert. They are amazing and hold like crazy.

Tapioca
September 24th, 2008, 02:55 PM
But I am quite taken with the plastic Good Days pins, which you can get at Sally's; I've even seen them at an occasional Walmart. They are $2 or less for 8, if I recall correctly.

Ditto on the Good Hair Days pins. They're plastic, but I've never had one break, and they hold like a rock.

yogachic
September 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I buy the Goody secure from Walmart. I'm not picky, as long as the ends aren't catchy when putting then in or out of my hair. I had some like that. They went in the garbage can.

Magdalene
September 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
I'm not picky as to the brand, but I love that they come in blonde now.

Shanarana
September 24th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I got some Goody bobby pins, just your run of the mill kind that work just fine for me when I need them. I don't use them often, but like to have some around if I do.

Shanarana
September 24th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm not picky as to the brand, but I love that they come in blonde now.

That is pretty cool that they come in blond.....didn't know that. Maybe they have other colors? Brown for example? I always just get the black ones because that's all I can find.

yogachic
September 24th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I always get black too. I use them for my fly away sides sometimes, and to pin the ends of my buns down. I just learned the chinese bun, and i need to pin my ends down.
They get lost so easy, I will take them out and set them here, and there, and before i know it I need to buy more. It was just on my shopping list a few days ago.

Shanarana
September 24th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I always get black too. I use them for my fly away sides sometimes, and to pin the ends of my buns down. I just learned the chinese bun, and i need to pin my ends down.
They get lost so easy, I will take them out and set them here, and there, and before i know it I need to buy more. It was just on my shopping list a few days ago.

I hear ya....where do they go? lol I seem to need to buy more every couple of months or so.

Chromis
September 25th, 2008, 07:38 AM
That is pretty cool that they come in blond.....didn't know that. Maybe they have other colors? Brown for example? I always just get the black ones because that's all I can find.

My Sally's bobby pins are brown :)

Katze
September 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I love the dark gold (not sure if these are 'blonde' or 'brown', but they match my hair) long ones meant for curlers. They are my all-purpose hair accessory, don't fall out, can be shown or hidden, and they HOLD.

What I've noticed is that I have to be careful taking them out to make sure that I open them wide enough so they don't rip hair. Oh, and they get lost (how?). But having tried (and HATED) U-shaped pins, I will stick with my brown/blonde bobby pins. In a pinch, I do use black...

Periwinkle
September 25th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I buy the matt brown ones from superdrug. They aren't shiny which seems to make them hold better and the colour matches really well.

Cantabile
September 25th, 2008, 02:39 PM
The best that I've come across thus far have been the steel bobby pins I got from the Ichiban store in San Francisco's Japantown. They've somehow (rather miraculously) managed to retain their tension and shape despite having to pin down massive hanks of hair. Other than these...I've tried quite a few drugstore brands and they've all widened out and died. :rolleyes:

misstwist
September 25th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I had some scunci bobby pins that in my opinion, are complete crap.

I bought some scunci bobby pins about a month ago and have thrown away about 1/4 of them because they are complete crap. Thought it was just me.

yogachic
September 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I work in a nursing home and they have some old things in picture frames on some of the walls. Today I was walking in to work, down my hall and i noticed there are old U shape hair pins and one other U shape with a wave to the prongs in one picture frame. I found that pretty neat, and I wanted some.

bjt
September 26th, 2008, 07:14 AM
...and one other U shape with a wave to the prongs in one picture frame. I found that pretty neat, and I wanted some.

Yogachic--those wavy U-shape ones are the kind I'm looking for, too. In another thread a few people said they find them in regular drug stores, but I've never seen them for sale. The 5 I got from my hairdresser work fabulously! If you ever see them for sale, let me know where. ;)

I can't use bobby pins, they slide right out of my hair! My hairdresser used a few big industrial strength bobby pins a couple of weeks ago and by the time I got home, they were mostly about half way out of my hair. Its amazing how these things work so differently on everyone!

Stevy
October 7th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Bumping old-ish thread to say that if you want those straight or wavy u-shape old-style pins, it's worth searching for 'celluloid pins' on eBay. You sometimes have to be patient and wait, but they do come up on sale pretty often.

Anne~
October 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM
These! They are Scunci pins. About 2.5 inches in length.
The tips never come off. Bad thing.....I can't find them anymore so I have to buy straight ones and bend them myself.

http://www.sullyswebdesigns.com/pics/hairpins.jpg