PDA

View Full Version : How many strands of hair fall out when you detangle your hair?

Zin79
October 8th, 2014, 02:27 AM
After washing your hair or, in the morning?

I think for me, after a hair wash, it's around 10 and normally 4-5. Is that normal? Or am I losing hair?

I am taking multi-vitamins and omega 3 tablets....what else can I do, any advice, girls?

monsoonstorm
October 8th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Significantly more than 10.

I don't count.

It depends on a great many things, how often you wash your hair, how often you comb/brush it, do you wear it up or down etc etc. So your question is a little bit like "how long is a piece of string". I wouldn't focus on the minute details like that to be honest.

dogzdinner
October 8th, 2014, 04:45 AM
wow, 4-5!? Thats hardly any!!
I measure by clumps anyways....more then 2 clumps and i would start to worry!:D

YGDW
October 8th, 2014, 04:48 AM
After washing your hair or, in the morning?

I think for me, after a hair wash, it's around 10 and normally 4-5. Is that normal? Or am I losing hair?

I am taking multi-vitamins and omega 3 tablets....what else can I do, any advice, girls?

Honestly, it's not normal. Most people lose way more hair after washing or when detangling. Advice? Stop worrying about it.

fiğrildi
October 8th, 2014, 04:53 AM
You aren't losing hair, so don't worry :wink:

In fact, you shed much less amount of hair than it's average. Also, keep in mind that it's shed time now, so it's normal to shed the double or triple amount of hair than you do the rest of the year.

Federica
October 8th, 2014, 05:15 AM
I don't even want to think about counting it.
That would be only another hair obsession, so I don't count at all.
I'm noticing the seasonal shedding, but I tell myself "hey! it's fall! Have you seen the tons of golden leaves all around?" and just try to keep it up and brush it less to discourage it. That's all.
I think that if someone has a shedding issue, and I mean a real hair loss matter, it's clearly visible, because the mane gets thinner and the scalp more visible.
It is normal to shed between 40 and 70 strands everyday. Those strands are replaced by baby hair. Since normally the strands that fall are the oldest, they probably are also long, and give you the impression that you're shedding a lot.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 8th, 2014, 05:23 AM
I never had the patience to count my shed hairs. But i can tell you that i shed a small animal right after wash :D It's way more than 10.
I'm not worrying about it because my ponytail circumference isn't decreasing. You should stop worrying too.

lapushka
October 8th, 2014, 07:36 AM
I don't count, but pre-wash, sink full. Post wash? Sink full. No combing/brushing during the week, though - except maybe finger detangling a few days pre-wash.

Edelweiss
October 8th, 2014, 07:44 AM
To be honest, no it's not normal it's not enough lol Do you really worry about shedding ?

5 strands after combing... wow

I lose like 20 maybe ? haha

Zin79
October 8th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Oh thank you so much!!! I am new in the field of growing hair long so, I had no idea about this....phew! I am relieved. :D

brickworld13
October 8th, 2014, 08:05 AM
A small rodent worth almost every day. Like tiny hamster type stuff. I'm not about to count them.

Federica
October 8th, 2014, 08:07 AM
You're very welcome!
Don't obsess yourself with how fast your hair grows, or how thick and strong and healthy it is: that would never be enough.

spidermom
October 8th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I don't know. I can barely believe that people actually count things like this.

lapushka
October 8th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I don't know. I can barely believe that people actually count things like this.

This. ^^ I don't think I ever counted sheds. Why? Why?

StellaKatherine
October 8th, 2014, 09:46 AM
I never count the amount of hair I loose, I don't think there is point in doing so. If I shed too much for some reason - I will notice it anyway without actual counting. I shed a lot of hair when I am in shower even if I combed before washing and in between I do not shed much.

AmyBeth
October 8th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I don't count them, but I know it's way more than 4-5! Especially now, when I seem to be shedding much more than usual. This is my second huge shed in the almost 3 years since I've been actively pursuing very long hair. Sometimes I look at how much hair that sheds everyday and wonder how I can still have so much left on my head. I mean, sooner or later, I'm going to run out of hair to shed! But it doesn't seem to happen. It is a bit disconcerting, but until I see that my pony circumference dwindles or bald spots start appearing, I won't worry about it.

leilani
October 8th, 2014, 11:51 AM
A kitten every day.

Chromis
October 8th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I don't count either. I'd say less than a rodent, but more than a dustbunny.

Wosie
October 8th, 2014, 12:04 PM
I don't count them, but I know it's way more than 4-5! Especially now, when I seem to be shedding much more than usual. This is my second huge shed in the almost 3 years since I've been actively pursuing very long hair. Sometimes I look at how much hair that sheds everyday and wonder how I can still have so much left on my head. I mean, sooner or later, I'm going to run out of hair to shed! But it doesn't seem to happen. It is a bit disconcerting, but until I see that my pony circumference dwindles or bald spots start appearing, I won't worry about it.

I'm in the very same boat -- I'm shedding way more than usual and I am surprised every time I look in the mirror and the hair still looks as thick as before... (What is this sorcery? o_O)

Arete
October 8th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I shed the equivalent of an extra-adorable fluffy kitten. :D
I'm a HUGE shedder, but my hair keeps growing, and my ponytail is still 4.25" circumference.

Mellenoire
October 9th, 2014, 04:11 AM
I've never counted but I can easily fill my hands cupped together. Probably approaching 100 after a wash. There's plenty of it for me to shed without losing ponytail thickness.

lapushka
October 9th, 2014, 06:11 AM
I shed the equivalent of an extra-adorable fluffy kitten. :D
I'm a HUGE shedder, but my hair keeps growing, and my ponytail is still 4.25" circumference.

Same here. I'm also 4.25" and shed like an absolute monster.

hanne jensen
October 9th, 2014, 07:38 AM
In lose somewhere between 15 and 30 hairs a day. I've never been a big shedder.

Frederikke
October 9th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I feel like i could knit a hat if I saved my hair for a few weeks. I always think i loose so much But my hair isn't getting thinner so I think it's just paranoia

Beckstar
October 9th, 2014, 03:52 PM
100s of hairs are removed when I detangle. I lose 100+ per day and I don't wash/detangle except maybe once a week.