PDA

View Full Version : New hair trend: "babylights"

Larki
October 7th, 2014, 11:20 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/the-new-word-in-hair-color-babylights-99415152398.html

Lol, or, you know, you could just not dye your hair in the first place, instead of dyeing it to make it look natural? :rolleyes:

Sparklylady82
October 7th, 2014, 11:24 PM
EEEEEK $547.00!!! No thanks! :confused:

Jumper
October 7th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Maybe I am just weird, but as a dark brunette, my baby hair was all one dark color.

It's only as an older child/teenager/adult that my hair took on some subtle natural blond highlights (and the overall color of my hair is lighter too, but not by a lot).

Plus I can't imagine spending that much to get my hair dyed.

Chocowalnut
October 8th, 2014, 12:17 AM
I just saw this earlier too and tbh I don't really get it at all. Her hair looked like normal, undyed hair, with natural high lights from the sun I suppose. Spending that much money for essentially the same thing your hair looks like without doing it? Makes no sense.

dottodot
October 8th, 2014, 01:04 AM
What in the world is the point of a "sombre?" (subtle ombre). Hopefully it stays in trend long enough for me to grow out the rest of my dye job, though. It definitely looks like a sombre. It's hard being accidentally trendy.. 8)

inanna
October 8th, 2014, 01:09 AM
I for one welcome the new over-priced salon treatments that apparently make your hair look the way mine does if I'm lazy about wearing hats during the summer. :cool:

I prefer being accidentally on trend instead of being "that weird lady who must be in an oppressive cult or something to wear her hair like that".

Dreams_in_Pink
October 8th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Just wait a little longer girls, virgin hair trend is just around the corner! :D

First it was all-one color, then piecey drastic highlights, than ombré and sombré...and now this. Does anyone else see the pattern here? We're going back to basics :)

cathair
October 8th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Maybe I am just weird, but as a dark brunette, my baby hair was all one dark color.

It's only as an older child/teenager/adult that my hair took on some subtle natural blond highlights (and the overall color of my hair is lighter too, but not by a lot).

Plus I can't imagine spending that much to get my hair dyed. )

This exactly ^^^

fiðrildi
October 8th, 2014, 05:51 AM
I for one welcome the new over-priced salon treatments that apparently make your hair look the way mine does if I'm lazy about wearing hats during the summer. :cool:

I prefer being accidentally on trend instead of being "that weird lady who must be in an oppressive cult or something to wear her hair like that".

Lol, hahaha, this!! ^^

I think I will never understand the obsession of people wanting to look like a natural blonde... what's so special with being a blonde? I used to have light blonde hair, and I never felt special for that :P
Plus, it doesn't matter how sophisticated are the highlights, they never look like natural hair colour!!

I feel pity for all of those women who need to colour their hair, spending a fortune every month, and pretending that it is their natural colour since they were born.

Gertrude
October 8th, 2014, 06:04 AM
I honestly don't get it either. I used to be a very light blonde child, now am a darkish golden ( caramel whatever) blonde. Which apparently is so desirable an otherwise very rational friend of mine went to get that colour. She always bleached, as in was always double process. Thing is of course is that naturally she has gorgeous, thick, strong brunette hair. That grows and grows. As I age I am more and more washed out. Pale skin, pale hair, pale everything. Desirable??? I am way too old to be a Disney Princess............My hair after summer has some really unsubtle highlights courtesy of the sun. Look cheap (-;

Majorane
October 8th, 2014, 07:08 AM
......I don't get the picture. It looks like.... normal undyed hair. Is that the new trend? Going back to your natural color? I even googled those babylights, and all you get is pictures of natural looking hair. And baby lights, of course, for in the nursery. Usually for way less than 500 bucks.

As a hennahead since 12, I have no problem with people that want to dye, but I never got the whole blonde thing either! As a child I loved my barbies but always wondered why they were blonde. I mean, some, okay, but all of them blonde.... I like diversity.

#endoffofftopic but I reeeeally don't get those babylights...... But, natural hair for the win, I say! Henna is natural, too. So I have a natural color.

LadyCelestina
October 8th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Lol, hahaha, this!! ^^

I think I will never understand the obsession of people wanting to look like a natural blonde... what's so special with being a blonde? I used to have light blonde hair, and I never felt special for that :P
Plus, it doesn't matter how sophisticated are the highlights, they never look like natural hair colour!!

I feel pity for all of those women who need to colour their hair, spending a fortune every month, and pretending that it is their natural colour since they were born.

Well it's the extremes that are apparently attractive.When a girl wants to be the 'hot' type here,she either dyes her hair blonde or black.Why is that,is beyond my comprehension.I thought maybe the blondes have lighter natural hair colour so they bleach and those with darker hair dye it black because it cannot be bleached blonde easily,but this doesn't seem to be the case and I'm really puzzled since I see a lot of other colours on celebrities and stuff,and I have a feeling that the traditionally 'hot' hair is red?

abauer789
October 8th, 2014, 07:23 AM
So this makes me even more happy that I have grown out my natural color! I am right on trend with my "baby lights"! All I did was go about my normal business - exercise outdoors and voila! I am super trendy!
I am thinking that the natural hair color trend is coming very soon. With all the 70s fashion - it is bound to happen. I love being natural! I hate that the beauty industry preys on women's insecurity and encourages them to color their hair! Ugh! Don't get me started.....:soapbox:
but back to the topic at hand, I am rocking the "baby lights" apparently and loving it! Thanks for sharing this.

sabrinaclrke
October 8th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Well, her hair looks pretty. But I swear I see virgin hair that color... So is it really worth the damage? I understand she's a model and she probably has to change her hair all the time, but still.

I don't think this will become a trend, but if it does I doubt anyone will notice such a subtle highlight haha! Wasting money AND damaging hair -_-"

Unofficial_Rose
October 8th, 2014, 07:35 AM
I think it's really pretty. Plenty of people dyeing their hair blonde aim for as natural a result as possible. It is very expensive though.

Melispelos
October 8th, 2014, 07:39 AM
I never got the blonde thing either. It needs too much upkeep and has to be done very neatly for it to look natural, otherwise it looks kind of tacky, in my opinion. I have very light skin and hazel eyes, and dark hair. I tried going blonde once but I only had it for three months. It was just too much of a pain to keep it looking good, I hated the showing growth and that it turned brassy so quickly. Too much work. I prefer natural looking hair. And this babylights thing is ridiculous, if you are a naturally light-haired person, you can get those by spending a few afternoons in the sun, or by doing a chamomille rinse.

Macaroni
October 8th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Are infantlights just around the corner?

Bene
October 8th, 2014, 10:10 AM
I suppose that works for blondes or whatever, but it means diddly squat to people who, like me, hatched with the one hair color they will have their entire lives, black or deep dark brown. I was born with a full mop the exact same color I have now.

JessicaAnn
October 8th, 2014, 11:34 AM
My hair was white-blonde as a child (with ringlets!) and I have tried as an adult to duplicate that look to no avail. My natural hair now is light/medium reddish brown with a fair bit of blonde/brassy highlight thrown in when I get out in the sun. I always wished I could go back to blonde, even for a little while. But the results have never looked great and the cost of upkeep with my growth rate is too much. I guess my point is, if people have found a way to get the color result they want, and have the means to do so, more power to them! Everyone should be able to enjoy their hair, whether it be natural or altered, however it pleases them.

(Personally, I love the sombré/ombré effect. Part of the beauty of coloring my hair with demi-permanant dye is that as it fades and my hair grows I get a nice blending effect, so I don't have to keep it up every 4 weeks to avoid hideous roots. I enjoy that the look is now in style.:cool:)

Panth
October 8th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Are infantlights just around the corner?

No, no, no. Don't be silly. The next trend is foetuslights. Even younger / more subtle, see. :)

jacqueline101
October 8th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I honestly don't get it either. I used to be a very light blonde child, now am a darkish golden ( caramel whatever) blonde. Which apparently is so desirable an otherwise very rational friend of mine went to get that colour. She always bleached, as in was always double process. Thing is of course is that naturally she has gorgeous, thick, strong brunette hair. That grows and grows. As I age I am more and more washed out. Pale skin, pale hair, pale everything. Desirable??? I am way too old to be a Disney Princess............My hair after summer has some really unsubtle highlights courtesy of the sun. Look cheap (-;

I agree the sun bleached mine enough. I agree with my age I'm too old to be a child.

meteor
October 8th, 2014, 12:13 PM
First of all, that's insane pricing. If the starting price is $547, then LHC-ers probably wouldn't get away with less than a few thousand: hairdressers always charge WAY more for thickness and length.
The resulting color is ... like everybody else said ... natural. Maybe it's attractive for women who have naturally dark or grey hair and they are not natural blondes but they want to "improve" their salon blonde color to make it more realistic-looking and less "done", but there are already many highlights/lowlights and balayage/ombre techniques out there for that.

I suspect that this hair stylist simply wants to create false impression that his stuff is new to attract more customers to his shop and make more money.

And if you are tired of seeing over-the-top marketing around the blonde trend, how about this new "French brown": https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/forget-brunette-it-s-all-c1412107210360.html
I was laughing so much reading about the mystery of that elusive "French brown" color they are trying to create. :lol:
And every single head of brunette hair I saw on the LHC looks richer and more natural than that newly minted "French brown" they are trying to show off on models and actresses. How on earth can people be so gullible to spend huge amounts of money trying to create a pale (and hair-damaging) imitation of what nature already gives them? :lol:

Majorane
October 8th, 2014, 12:41 PM
"Artfully disheveled? Never visibly 'done'"? New words for "unbrushed dye damaged". Oh, fashion euphemisms.... My IQ hurts from reading that stuff.

spidermom
October 8th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Dyeing your hair the color it was as a child has been a "trend" for a long time. They've repackaged it with a new name - woohoo. I'm so underwhelmed.

brickworld13
October 8th, 2014, 12:49 PM
I could shave my head. I didn't even have hair until I was 3-4. Then it was platinum blonde, strawberry blonde, brown, dark brown, and many other naturally occuring colors. This seems so unnecessary and pointless. People need to stop fussing so much about their appearance. It's not that big of a deal. In 200 years nobody is going to even care.

lapushka
October 8th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Starting at more than £300? Yeah, right. Of course. :rolleyes:

Zindell
October 8th, 2014, 01:52 PM
So this makes me even more happy that I have grown out my natural color! I am right on trend with my "baby lights"! All I did was go about my normal business - exercise outdoors and voila! I am super trendy!

lol, I hear you! Suddenly I feel like my natural haircolor might be IT! ;)

(I starred and starred at the pic of Karlie and yet couldn't understand what part of her hair consisted of "babylights"...)

Carolyn
October 8th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I'm sure the salon mentioned is an upscale very trendy place. They charge the big bucks. Getting baby lights in a regular salon would never cost that much. I've stopped doing high lights due to bleach damage in the past. If I wasn't set on growing back to waist again I'd probably get them again and I could see trying the baby lights for a more subtle look. I'd never pay $547 but I wouldn't flinch at $100 or so.

luckyshot
October 8th, 2014, 02:25 PM
This is just odd to me. I was born with platinum blonde hair, all one color, and it stayed that way until I was around 4 years old, and then it slowly got darker. Now my natural color is blonette, but I get all sorts of color variation from the sun. So my adult color is way closer to this new trend. I would be bleaching my whole head if I wanted to go back to my baby color. Just a ridiculous new way for the celebrity stylists to try and make a bunch of money.

leilani
October 8th, 2014, 02:31 PM
This is just highlighting but with a very finicky technique to bleach as little as possible which is how I always have done it for the last sixteen years (I highlight my friends' hair and until this year, my own as a hobby).... I never understood chunky streaky highlights that grow out awfully. I have always painted the bleach on painfully tiny and sparse clusters of strands to create a "catching the light" trick effect but actually damaging as little as possible.

koolkittychick
October 8th, 2014, 03:42 PM
And here I thought I was going to read about a crazy new trend involving dyeing only your "baby hairs" blonde (that would be a freaky cool look!), but this is even stupider. No doubt there is some vapid heiress or starlet somewhere reading about this and having their money stolen from them by stylists who dump a clear rinse on their existing highlights or hair color and telling them they look faaaaabulous dahling! :rolleyes:

Rushli
October 8th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Over priced but i would never go to a spendy salon in the first place. I always light natural looking high lights. I hated the ones that had a huge color difference. The past couple years I looked into getting high lights from a local lady and at $60, I passed. She would have actually listened to me and done the colors I wanted unlike every other person that has done it. The I went to another gal to see about ombre. I was ready to pay the price finally, but timing was just off and she said she did not know if ombre was still in style. (working in a small town for the past year or so meant that she did not keep up on trend any more since she mostly did old lady perms, hair cuts and prom hair.)

Now I sit here with a bleach bath ombre in my hair. (I hope it turns out, so nerve wrecking.) Then I will be turning it blue!

Beckstar
October 8th, 2014, 06:40 PM
I was a bald baby! The answer is neaux!