PDA

View Full Version : Can I substitute a different vinegar for ACV to rinse with?

ohdokey
October 7th, 2014, 07:46 AM
I moved this summer to a new country-a fun and amazing adventure thus far. But I am having trouble finding ACV in this country-available at fancy import stores which are not near my neck of the woods. Are there any other vinegars I could dilute to use with as part of a no-poo routine?
Rice vinegar, for example?

lapushka
October 7th, 2014, 07:54 AM
What country are you in? Just plain white vinegar should do just fine!

Phexlyn
October 7th, 2014, 07:57 AM
I think you can also use lemon juice, but be careful, too much of it can be drying/damaging, so you need to dilute it!

DweamGoiL
October 7th, 2014, 08:06 AM
I've used red wine vinegar with success

Theobroma
October 7th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I've used white vinegar for years.

Entangled
October 7th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I use white vinegar all the time, and it works perfectly fine. It's one of my favorite tithings to do, actually. It makes my hair very shiny and soft.

MeowScat
October 7th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I use White Vinegar and I love it! The smell from the ACV was too gross for me.

Whittles308
October 7th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I do white vinegar rinses if I ever find my scalp is getting itchy and it seems to work well.

Anje
October 7th, 2014, 10:36 AM
White vinegar is really popular among blonds who don't want any warm tones deposited in their hair by cider vinegar. I imagine rice vinegar would be great, but in the US it tends to be milder than white or cider.

Citric acid crystals dissolved in water are also popular and work for a lot of people who don't like vinegar. It doesn't smell and it helps chelate minerals a bit more effectively than acetic acid would, so it's worth trying if you can find the stuff.

ohdokey
October 8th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Thanks, everyone. I will give it a go with rice vinegar-the most accessible one here. Lapushka, I am in China! :) I will also look for white vinegar since that may be better and usually is in larger bottles.

gossamer
October 8th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I used rice vinegar in my rinses quite successfully for the year I lived in Taiwan. Unlike rice vinegar in the US, even the cheap stuff doesn't seem to have sugar added to it, which is great!

Panth
October 9th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Yeah, I was going to say just be careful not to get rice wine vinegar with added sugar. Otherwise, I think it'd be fine.

You can use most mild acids, e.g. white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, white spirit vinegar (though this is often stronger and thus needs diluting more), citric acid crystals (from the chemist) dissolved in water, etc. Just be careful not to make it too strong. As Anje said, ACV is actually not recommended for blondes as it can cause brassiness.