PDA

View Full Version : My Amazon/Supermarket haul!

gustavonut
October 6th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Hey everyone! Here's the stuff that I got today:
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k626/ImprintedLittleGirl/6ab6609681e34cc6b8b4498e05aa977d_zpsd50a896c.jpg
Yay I'm so happy! I can't wait to start using everything :applause

(The apple cider vinegar was purchased at the store for 6 bucks. Everything else is from Amazon.
I was expecting the coconut oil to be bigger, but it works for me. The conditioner was wrong, so I contacted the seller.)

So..here's a few questions that I hope someone can answer:

1. I was just wondering how to add avocado oil to my hair regimen. Could I use it the same way I use coconut oil/jamaican black castor oil? (I just put it on my ends when I'm done showering.) how do you use avocado oil?

2. About the amla powder; instead of using it the way they say on the box, could I just make a paste with different oils in it instead of just water? Or what would you suggest?

3. Since I'm going to be cowashing, how many times per week should I do the no-poo method with baking soda and ACV as a clarifying shampoo?

4. How many times per week should I CO? What's worked the best for you?

Thank you all for being so patient and helpful in my past forum posts. Grow, hair, grow!!

Dreams_in_Pink
October 6th, 2014, 11:38 PM
As far as i know, avocado oil is an alternative to coconut oil, for those whose hair doesn't like coconut oil or who don't like the smell.

gustavonut
October 7th, 2014, 12:38 AM
As far as i know, avocado oil is an alternative to coconut oil, for those whose hair doesn't like coconut oil or who don't like the smell.

I see. Well I put some on my ends and so far so good. It doesn't really have a smell unlike coconut oil. But I like that it's light and not a solid like coconut oil.

sarahthegemini
October 7th, 2014, 02:52 AM
You don't need to use baking soda to clarify. It can wreck havoc on your hair. Just use a very basic shampoo (with no silicones, waxes, butters or oils) to clarify.

As for how often, that really is down to the individual. I have been co-washing for just over a year amd have only shampooed a handful of times. When you do clarify, follow up with conditioner. ACV is not a conditioner.

gustavonut
October 7th, 2014, 11:08 AM
You don't need to use baking soda to clarify. It can wreck havoc on your hair. Just use a very basic shampoo (with no silicones, waxes, butters or oils) to clarify.

As for how often, that really is down to the individual. I have been co-washing for just over a year amd have only shampooed a handful of times. When you do clarify, follow up with conditioner. ACV is not a conditioner.

Oh, alright! I've used the baking soda before and never thought about it being so drying, and man, it did cause a lot of shedding. Now about the ACV...how do you use it (if you do)?

ghost
October 7th, 2014, 03:17 PM
I really like avocado oil :) I don't use it as a leave-in because it can go rancid really quickly, but it makes a great pre-wash treatment left on for an hour or more.

Nadine <3
October 7th, 2014, 03:39 PM
You could mix some of the coconut and the avocado together and see how your hair likes that. I do a coconut/grape seed as a leave in and it prevents the coconut from solidifying in my hair when it's cold outside :)

MJ1972
October 7th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Now about the ACV...how do you use it (if you do)?

That, too, is down to the individual. Some people use much stronger concentrations than others. Back when I still used ACV, I used about six parts water to one part ACV and rinsed it out very thoroughly. It made my hair look gorgeously smooth and silky, but did result in a lot of split ends, so I've stopped using it for the time being. Hopefully, you won't get the split ends.

gustavonut
October 7th, 2014, 04:40 PM
You could mix some of the coconut and the avocado together and see how your hair likes that. I do a coconut/grape seed as a leave in and it prevents the coconut from solidifying in my hair when it's cold outside :)

That I will definitely try since I have two big tubs of coconut oil!
I think I'll try it as a prepoo treatment since my hair can't handle coconut as a leave in.

swearnsue
October 7th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I like to oil my ends with coconut oil in the summer and avocado in the winter. They are also great for your skin. Although coconut oil on the face can cause breakouts or clogged pores.

I no longer recommend baking soda/acv method to clarify. It works, but is too harsh. If you still want to do it, you add about 1/2 tsp. baking soda to your shampoo and rub it in for a minute. Then you must rinse with a water vinegar rinse to balance out the extreme alkalinity of the baking soda. A mixture of about a Tbs of vinegar to a cup of water. Pour over hair and massage in a bit for a minute and then rinse out with plain warm/cool water. Shouldn't be done more than once every 2 months, less is better. And use a good conditioner and leave on for a couple of minutes, rinse well. You may need to condition twice depending on how drying the clarifying was on your hair. You will know by how it feels while you are still in the shower.

I switched to Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo to clarify. It's still a strong shampoo but it still cleans off all the silicones and other product junk but doesn't make my hair as dry as the baking soda/acv method.

One of the best things I have learned from LHC is that shampoo and conditioner is my friend.

gustavonut
October 7th, 2014, 04:41 PM
That, too, is down to the individual. Some people use much stronger concentrations than others. Back when I still used ACV, I used about six parts water to one part ACV and rinsed it out very thoroughly. It made my hair look gorgeously smooth and silky, but did result in a lot of split ends, so I've stopped using it for the time being. Hopefully, you won't get the split ends.

Oh man I never heard that it caused split ends :/
Looks like I'll have to really really dilute it then.
I'm going to use it as a clarifying rinse if that's possible.

I like to oil my ends with coconut oil in the summer and avocado in the winter. They are also great for your skin. Although coconut oil on the face can cause breakouts or clogged pores.

I no longer recommend baking soda/acv method to clarify. It works, but is too harsh. If you still want to do it, you add about 1/2 tsp. baking soda to your shampoo and rub it in for a minute. Then you must rinse with a water vinegar rinse to balance out the extreme alkalinity of the baking soda. A mixture of about a Tbs of vinegar to a cup of water. Pour over hair and massage in a bit for a minute and then rinse out with plain warm/cool water. Shouldn't be done more than once every 2 months, less is better. And use a good conditioner and leave on for a couple of minutes, rinse well. You may need to condition twice depending on how drying the clarifying was on your hair. You will know by how it feels while you are still in the shower.

I switched to Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo to clarify. It's still a strong shampoo but it still cleans off all the silicones and other product junk but doesn't make my hair as dry as the baking soda/acv method.

One of the best things I have learned from LHC is that shampoo and conditioner is my friend.

Well now I know not to use baking soda ever again! It's never helped me in any way besides cleaning teeth.
I think I'll use the ACV between shampoo and conditioner and then see how that goes.