PDA

View Full Version : Time to get started

mamaherrera
October 6th, 2014, 04:07 PM
OK I want to start learning how to do these "hair safe" buns. Any links for good tutorials or threads that get people started from the beginning/? I Need a link to for where to buy good quality hair sticks and the hair styles I want are things that will be secure for exercising, I exercise daily and I don't want to have to change hair styles in the day. Thanks

kdaniels8811
October 6th, 2014, 04:14 PM
The only bu I know that is rock solid while exercising is the sock bun. Claw clips can hold your hair but I find them damaging. How long/thick is your hair?

Madora
October 6th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Check out Torrin Paige's You Tube channel for hair inspiration and tutorials on hairsticks.

I have a written tutorial on wearing the comfy sectioned braided bun. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post it for you.

mamaherrera
October 6th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Mine is pretty much like yours and yes right now jaw clips are all I know. Many people talk about using high ponytails braided, but aren't ponytails damaging??? Why are jaw clips damaging, in which way?? How do you do a sock bun without ponytail holders?? And are hairsticks secure for running and laying on your back (exercises like that)

The only bu I know that is rock solid while exercising is the sock bun. Claw clips can hold your hair but I find them damaging. How long/thick is your hair?

mamaherrera
October 6th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Hit me up with the comfy sectioned braided bun, does it involve more hair clips?? Still not getting them. Someone said it's like putting in a hairfork.

Check out Torrin Paige's You Tube channel for hair inspiration and tutorials on hairsticks.

I have a written tutorial on wearing the comfy sectioned braided bun. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post it for you.

gthlvrmx
October 6th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Have you tried using spin pins before? They hold my buns like a rock and i can exercise and go running with them without having my bun fall out or hurt me.

mamaherrera
October 6th, 2014, 05:38 PM
I had those get all stuck in my hair. I guess I'm not a good learner

Madora
October 6th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Back in the day, I had very, very thick hair. When I first visited the George Michael salon in NYC they advised that to wear long, thick hair comfortably, you had to section it to distribute the weight. It is also better for your hair to be sectioned than glomed all in once place because you're not putting a lot of pressure on a small area on your scalp.

Sectioning (for the double braided bun) (hair should be at least waist):
1) Detangle your hair gently with a wide tooth comb
2) Part your hair from the top of your right ear, around the back of your head, to the top of your other ear
3) Take all the hair ABOVE the part, comb it out gently.
4) Divide hair in 3 parts and braid it loosely. Tie off w/hair friendly elastic
5) Coil the braid you just made by holding it FLAT against your scalp. While you are coiling, pin the braid to the scalp using crimped hairpins. Pin at the four directions (North/South/East/West..use more pins if needed)
6) Tuck the tassel under the braid coil
7) Take the remaining hair, comb out gently so there are no tangles
8) Divide in 3 sections. Braid Loosely! Fasten w/hair friendly elastic band.
9) Take the braid and wind it around the braided bun already made.
10) As you wind the braid around the bun, pin with crimped hairpins. Tuck in tassel.
Voila: you have created a comfy, long lasting double braided bun! Holds like a rock.

Sectioning can also be used to create: cameo bun, triple braided bun, double twisted bun, and a whole bunch of other variations
Sectioning can be done in more than 2 sections but I've only used two for most of my braids and stuff.
Special tip for step # 8 In order to get the remaining braid as close to the bun as possible, bend your head down steeply and then begin the braid as close to the bun as you can. It is a lot easier for gravity to work for you, than against you, when you are braiding the final braid!

I have 2 other styles if you would like the instructions for those, Mamaherrera.

hennalonghair
October 6th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Yes I have to agree with Madora. Sectioning hair is much gentler on the roots on your hair because the weight of your hair is better distributed. It's ESPECIALLY helpful for people with extra thick hair. My hair isn't that long but I often have trouble using smaller hair sticks and trying to do many of the hairstyles because there's just too much hair to wrap around.Another thing you might want to consider is the style of bun you want if you are going to be lying down on your back. Perhaps some of the lower style buns would be best. Most of my buns start out sectioned first but for lower type buns I often just braid hair from the nape of the neck and roll it either on top or underneath and secure it with either a flexi clip or two sticks.Hair sticks are great, flexi lips work well, there's those coily things, Amish pins those colourful clips. I forget what they are called. I also second the Tori videos. :)

Trin
October 6th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Here's a few super easy ones from the person Madora recommended https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcSaBWbBYug. You can also use a paranda if you don't want to tie off your hair, here's a tutorial for how to make them: https://sites.google.com/site/habioku/home/do-it-yourself.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 6th, 2014, 11:41 PM
My first bun was a lazy wrap bun. It's very easy to do and very secure when done with a fork rather than a stick. Forks always provide better security.

mamaherrera
October 7th, 2014, 12:41 AM
I will check these all out and I Just got a ficcare so I hope that will help too. A medium as I don't have super thick hair.

mamaherrera
October 7th, 2014, 12:42 AM
PS : Which are the friendly elastic? and can a sock bun be done with no damage and no elastic bands or no??

Trin
October 7th, 2014, 12:59 AM
friendly elastics have no metal and are coated with cloth, and you do NOT use them super tight, despite the temptation to do so to make sure the hairstyle doesn't fall out.

mamaherrera
October 7th, 2014, 01:42 AM
so the cloth covered ones at Walmart, no?

lapushka
October 7th, 2014, 05:25 AM
To learn some updos, this YT'er (Habioku) is great as well:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Habioku?feature=watch#p/u