PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening scissors

JustPam
October 6th, 2014, 04:46 AM
Hey, what do you all use to sharpen your hair scissors? Is a standard kitchen knife sharpening stone ok or do you need something a bit finer? I only have a small pair of Babyliss scissors I got from the chemists, which are not that old or heavily used, however OH thought they would be perfect for unjamming the paper shredder so yeah...

lapushka
October 6th, 2014, 05:19 AM
I see no need to sharpen my scissors, from just cutting the ends off once in a while.

If you can get them to a place that sharpens scissors, I'd do that. Don't fall for the sharpen them by cutting through tin foil trick (useless).

dezibela
October 6th, 2014, 05:58 AM
This made me curious, so I googled 'how do hairstylists sharpen scissors', & I read that hair scissors have a u-shaped bevel that's hard to sharpen by hand. There are services that use machines to do it.

So if you have any stylist friends, maybe you can get your scissors done when their salon has its service guy do theirs.

I also read that sharpening is recommended every 600 cuts, so once yours are re-sharpened, they should never need sharpening again unless there's another paper jam.

Entangled
October 6th, 2014, 08:10 AM
It really depends on the scissors. There are two types of edges, one rounded and the other flat. Someone else can probably give more specific info. What's important, though, is that scissors ability to cut is based off of two blades slicing together. The danger of home sharpening is that you end up with two sharp blades that don't cut together, rendering the scissors useless for their original purpose. That's why most recommend getting scissors professionally sharpened.

Phexlyn
October 6th, 2014, 08:43 AM
It really depends on the scissors. There are two types of edges, one rounded and the other flat. Someone else can probably give more specific info. What's important, though, is that scissors ability to cut is based off of two blades slicing together. The danger of home sharpening is that you end up with two sharp blades that don't cut together, rendering the scissors useless for their original purpose. That's why most recommend getting scissors professionally sharpened.
This. Get a pro to do it.

Stormynights
October 6th, 2014, 08:51 AM
I am a retired stylist and the only way to get them done properly is to send them in to the manufacturer. Even the so called professionals that sharpen destroy your scissors.

JustPam
October 6th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Ok, thanks for all the replies. Since they are just a cheap pair it's not worth the hassle getting them professionally done, they were only about £6.50 they would probably just laugh at me. If it turns out they are damaged from OH's moment of improvisation then I can just buy a new pair. I'll put the knife sharpener away...

lapushka
October 6th, 2014, 09:54 AM
I'll put the knife sharpener away...

Good decision. My mom bought a knife sharpener as well, and she tried to sharpen one of my cheaper scissors, and the blades came out all uneven, ruined the scissors, and they weren't even dull to begin with.