PDA

View Full Version : problem with conditioner--curls

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2014, 11:39 PM
Today I tried to lubricate my curls more with conditioner for easier detangling. IN the past I try and avoid conditioner up above my ear length because conditioner build up on my scalp is not fun nor is it healthy and I have a hard time rinsing it all bye-bye. But today I did apply up close to the crown/roots because I wanted to detangle in a more gentle way. After I detangled/fingercombed/ combed, I did the squish-condish method, scrunching all that lovely conditioner up and into the hair, not scalp, but just scrunching. Then I rinsed after a few.
POSTIVES: It was way easier to detangle, the comb glided through and I shed less hair.

BUT:: I am pretty sure that I had conditioner left on my scalp because when I went to scratch my head, a whole bunch of white gunk came off, I mean a lot!! I'm pretty sure that what got applied to the top part of my hair, rinsed in and down into the scalp, instead of away. :stirpot:Not a good formula or look to go to church with.

My question is: for the rest of you who do lots of conditioner to detangle in the shower, how do you get conditioner close to roots so you can detangle (because usually I have lots of tangles on the top half of my hair) but still rinse all that product out and down the drain and down and into the scalp, if you know what I mean. Or should I just continue to avoid conditioner no my top part of my head and detangle with great care and no product???? Problems always!! Even with gel, I get great definition on bottom half, because I scrunch it in, but then I don't want product build up so I avoid the top half and have Poofy curls on top and defined on the bottom half. Yikes!! I'm 34 and still don't know how to "do my hair"!

Hotrox
October 6th, 2014, 01:53 AM
I only put conditioner from the ears down and then comb the bottom section, I find the conditioner residue on the comb is just enough for the top section without getting too much on the scalp. You can do this section by section if you need more conditioner higher up. I then rinse thoroughly.

I also have a much poofier top layer, so try to lift that section up by itself to get conditioner or product into it. Someday it works, others not so much!!

hennalonghair
October 6th, 2014, 04:42 AM
I also just condition from the ears down. Perhaps condition your hair first then use diluted shampoo (25% shampoo/75% water) to wash the scalp only. Then deep condition the ends. This works good for me. I have a fair amount of 3a curl in the under layers of my hair and if I don't really condition this it gets all dry and frizzy. If I condition my scalp I get flat hair and scalp issues; dandruff, itchy etc.,
A few drops of tea tree oil or peppermint rubbed into the scalp before washing can eliminate most scalp problems.
Scalp health is an extremely important part of haircare

lapushka
October 6th, 2014, 05:36 AM
You could try and condition from ear down, then use a leave-in out of the shower to get close to your scalp. Just an idea.

dezibela
October 6th, 2014, 05:46 AM
I first rinse standing up with my back to the water & my head tilted up. I work my fingers through the roots while doing this, moving the hair around to let the water hit different parts of the scalp.

Then I turn around & bend over to rinse the hair upside down with the same finger movement.

If I'm somewhere with weaker water flow, I might turn the shower head off and use the stronger flow from the tub spigot to rinse upside-down, turning my head from side to side to let the water reach the temples & forehead.

Also, if your conditioner isn't rinsing well, maybe try diluting it before you apply it to the scalp.

mamaherrera
October 6th, 2014, 02:12 PM
all very god points. Thank you so much. I might try the comb thing, or like you said, condition it up in the air (top parts) and rinse in the same way. Or like someone else said, just do a leave in on top but apply it from the side or upside down. Funny how many people only conditioner ear down.

lapushka
October 6th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Funny how many people only conditioner ear down.

For me, my scalp can't stand the conditioner (seborrheic dermatitis), and I'm oily. If conditioner goes near my scalp, I need a wash again in a hurry.

Anje
October 6th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I just rinse a long time when I have conditioner on my scalp. However, my hair is very different from yours -- not nearly so wavy/curly nor so thick. I don't need to have any leftover conditioner in my hair at the end of the shower, and it might rinse out easier for me because my hair is less thick. As for that first point, you could always re-apply some to your length before stepping out of the shower, if you like conditioning to the root.

mamaherrera
October 6th, 2014, 03:56 PM
This is me!! I didn't like going to church with all this white flakey stuff.
I need to rework my methods, I loved the squish condish thing, but I need to find a way to be able to detangle my roots/ top part of my head!!

For me, my scalp can't stand the conditioner (seborrheic dermatitis), and I'm oily. If conditioner goes near my scalp, I need a wash again in a hurry.

In2wishin
October 7th, 2014, 07:31 AM
maybe use a lighter conditioner, one without 'cones or heavy conditioning agents. Kiss My Face Whenever conditioner is really good and light and rinses out well. You can still use a heavier conditioner on the ends.

mamaherrera
October 7th, 2014, 12:36 PM
good point, very good point!!