PDA

View Full Version : Scalp pain from jaw clips

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Anyone else experience sore scalps from jaw clips and any idea as to why?? I used to always wear the same big jaw clip before, and do a french twist, and now if I do that, or if I bun my hair and use a medium size jaw clip on both sides, my scalp feels bruised.

Madora
October 5th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Maybe the clips are too close to the scalp (pressing too hard)? Maybe the clips are too large and heavy for the task at hand?
While you may want to hold the hair securely, you need to be extra careful to have a little "leeway" in the scalp hair so that claw clips won't try and make a hurtful impression on your scalp.

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Funny though how before, I could wear the same size jaw clip and it didn't hurt. I kept telling my husband, did I lose hair or something, and he said, no but now since you don't brush it, your hair is in clumps, so it compacts faster/easier and is less "hair" to draw up together, because it's in clumps and not all separated. I hope that is it!

lapushka
October 6th, 2014, 05:49 AM
When my hair got to be too much to handle for my claw clip, I switched to bunning with a fork. Much better!

Anje
October 6th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Yeah, I rarely use them because they have always given me sore spots on my scalp. I think they might pull at the scalp hairs in strange ways, in my case, which wasn't comfortable.

I agree with Lapushka -- bunning with a fork or with hairsticks is far more comfortable!

Agnes Hannah
October 6th, 2014, 11:56 AM
I use claw clips 95% of the time when I'm not asleep! I have had very few problems with scalp pain, but I have fine and thin hair so that may make a difference. I have found that my hairs needs change as it grows and this may change. Try a different way of wearing your hair for a while to see if that helps. Good luck

mamaherrera
October 6th, 2014, 02:10 PM
This sounds like what it might be. And what someone else said too, I used to wear them every day. Maybe now my scalp needs a change. Thanks all!!

Yeah, I rarely use them because they have always given me sore spots on my scalp. I think they might pull at the scalp hairs in strange ways, in my case, which wasn't comfortable.

I agree with Lapushka -- bunning with a fork or with hairsticks is far more comfortable!

Wosie
October 6th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Indeed, you might just need a break from the claw clips (especially if you used to place them on the same spot every time). :) I used to make a high pencil bun virtually every day for a while, and around the area where I inserted the stick the scalp got quite sore. :S

mamaherrera
October 6th, 2014, 03:20 PM
I think this is very true!

lapushka
October 6th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Have to add, I too got a sore spot from the claw clip! It all changed when my hair was long enough for buns (I had to wait until waist/hip). I wore my claw clip all the way from APL to waist/hip and boy... after that I got a cyst on my scalp where the claw used to always rest (was always one spot where it had all its pressure). Now I'm rid of the cyst, the claw and I'm much more comfy with my buns.

mamaherrera
October 6th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I'm still struggling with buns, how to secure them, as I have no hair forks or stuff like that. I've just been playing with hair pins the U shaped ones, and I ain't' getting that either. Can someone come to my house and teach me??? Maybe use a whole bunch of little jaw clips instead of a big on?? I"m just so good at using them. What's the next easiest hair toy for securing buns so that I can run in them?

Anje
October 6th, 2014, 04:22 PM
I've heard good things about lots of little claw clips, but I haven't gone that route myself. Honestly, I'm not fond of the look in my own hair, even if others pull them off beautifully. :lol:

Youtube videos are fantastic for how to use forks or U-shaped hairpins. Here, this one shows the technique pretty well. (http://youtu.be/0loExGWWgiM) The secret with U-shaped hairpins is that you insert them exactly the same way; they are just tiny hair forks.

Hope that helps!

swearnsue
October 7th, 2014, 07:29 PM
For me Flexi 8s are very comfortable for updos during the day. The only time I use claw clips is in the shower when my hair is full of conditioner, about 3 minutes.

Hair pins are good too, but not as secure for my hair. Hair pins are never put in the exact same place twice in a row so the scalp won't get pressure sores like a claw clip might do.

Maybe as your hair has grown and gotten heavier, the claw clip puts more weight on your scalp.