PDA

View Full Version : How do you care for your hair in the winter times?

gustavonut
October 5th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Hey ladies and gents, Gustavonut here.
I'm just wanting to know what I could do to protect my hair in the bitter cold winters, and also how to care for it.
A couple questions:

-Can I still CO in the winter time?

-What products, if any, protect your hair from the cold?

-Should you wash your hair more or less?

And

-What do YOU do during winter to keep your hair healthy and keep it growing?

Larki
October 5th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Lol well I live in California so this topic doesn't usually apply to me, but I would like to know how to take care of my hair when I vacation in the snow, so I'll be watching this thread! In the past when I've been on vacation in snowy places I just go heavier on the oil and leave-in conditioner and keep my hair contained in braids.

DweamGoiL
October 5th, 2014, 08:33 PM
I pretty much use the same routine in the Summer than the rest of the year. I don't CO wash, but my 10 year old curly haired daughter does throughout the year. I see no reason why you would not be able to as well. Because my hair is fine, I use a lighter protein conditioner in the Summer and Spring and a more moisturizing and creamier one for the Fall and Winter. Whenever I go out, I protect my hair by wearing a cowl and I make sure it is always completely dry before venturing outside. As a general rule, I wash twice a week, and after a wash, seal my ends with a tiny bit of Monoi oil.

gustavonut
October 5th, 2014, 08:40 PM
Lol well I live in California so this topic doesn't usually apply to me, but I would like to know how to take care of my hair when I vacation in the snow, so I'll be watching this thread! In the past when I've been on vacation in snowy places I just go heavier on the oil and leave-in conditioner and keep my hair contained in braids.

Exactly! I'm going to be working in Germany this coming christmas and it gets beyond nippy there. Brrr...it makes me cold just thinking about it.
Plus, before this I didn't care about my hair at all, I wore ponytails every day at one point!
I haven't really thought about how to take care of my hair in cold climates so now we can both find out together. :bow:

I pretty much use the same routine in the Summer than the rest of the year. I don't CO wash, but my 10 year old curly haired daughter does throughout the year. I see no reason why you would not be able to as well. Because my hair is fine, I use a lighter protein conditioner in the Summer and Spring and a more moisturizing and creamier one for the Fall and Winter. Whenever I go out, I protect my hair by wearing a cowl and I make sure it is always completely dry before venturing outside. As a general rule, I wash twice a week, and after a wash, seal my ends with a tiny bit of Monoi oil.

Yes, I thought maybe conditioning more would help. But then again my hair is always greasy sooooo I don't want to look like Jack Frost with crazy hair lol!

ETA:
And huh, I've never heard of Monoi oil. What's it like? (:

Nadine <3
October 5th, 2014, 08:56 PM
For me, I love hair care in the winter because I get completely lazy about it. I wash WAY less because I despise having wet drippy hair when it's cold and I'm not sweaty and gross. I wear a lot of dutch braids in the winter, usually with the last inch or two covered in oil. I use my regular RO conditioner as a leave in and I seal it with an oil. My favorites being coconut, olive, and grape seed.I'm usually stunned at how much my hair grew during the winter because it's always shoved under a hat, in braids or in a dirty bun.

Madora
October 5th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I'm in Northern California and we don't have snow or really low temps (well, 30's sometimes).

I don't put anything on my hair to protect it.

I DO wear a wool scarf on my head outdoors. I don't wear my hair down.

Dr. Michael stressed that you should protect your entire head against the cold. He suggested that if you prefer wearing your hair down in winter, you could protect it by parting it in two sections in the back. Cross the 2 sections of hair, and bring the right section forward so that it sits on your chest. Bring the left section forward so that it sits on your chest. Your hair is "sitting" on your chest where it won't get as mussed up as if it were down your back. Also, it will be well protected by your wool coat or jacket.

DweamGoiL
October 5th, 2014, 09:03 PM
And huh, I've never heard of Monoi oil. What's it like? (:

Monoi oil is made in Tahiti and it's basically refined coconut oil infused with Frangipani (Plumeria). I have been using it for over a decade and absolutely love it!

Not Lynn Merely
October 5th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Hey ladies and gents, Gustavonut here.
I'm just wanting to know what I could do to protect my hair in the bitter cold winters, and also how to care for it.
A couple questions:

-Can I still CO in the winter time?

-What products, if any, protect your hair from the cold?

-Should you wash your hair more or less?

And

-What do YOU do during winter to keep your hair healthy and keep it growing?

What products protect it? Hats. A nice, knit hat that is not made of anything catchy and will fit over bunned hair without fuss is ideal. Maybe I'll make myself a nice, big one and line it with sillky fabric.

Since winter is coming, up the moisture. I use more oil on my face to seal in moisture, and I do what I can to prevent moisture loss from my hair.

gustavonut
October 5th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Monoi oil is made in Tahiti and it's basically refined coconut oil infused with Frangipani (Plumeria). I have been using it for over a decade and absolutely love it!

Whoah! That sounds amazing, and I love coconut oil! Is it very expensive? Also, could you get it on amazon I wonder..?

Madora: I was thinking about wearing a silk scarf on my head (like a babushka :). )
Nadine: That's so awesome to hear! That makes me look forward to it getting cold now haha. I'll try to wear my hair in braids more often then.

melusine963
October 5th, 2014, 09:22 PM
My hair gets a lot drier in winter, so I use a lot more coconut oil as a leave-in than I do in the warmer months. That's pretty much the only change to my routine. It also takes a little longer to get oily, but I like my once a week washing routine so I don't make any changes there.

Rushli
October 5th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Amazingly my hair does not seem to get all that much drier in the winter. Then again last winter I was doing heavy oil treatments every two weeks, even before LHC. I did not find LHC until January, so we will see if this winter I pay more attention and decide it needs more moisture.

gustavonut
October 5th, 2014, 09:55 PM
My hair gets a lot drier in winter, so I use a lot more coconut oil as a leave-in than I do in the warmer months. That's pretty much the only change to my routine. It also takes a little longer to get oily, but I like my once a week washing routine so I don't make any changes there.

Very good. I need to get in the habit of washing once a week.. I'm slowly transitioning from washing every other day to once a week. I have a lot of coconut oil as well so yippee!

Mellenoire
October 5th, 2014, 11:37 PM
I usually drop back the frequency of washing and will diffuse with warm (not hot) air after washing. Otherwise it would stay wet until the next wash! I also up the frequency of oil application, especially on the ends.

gustavonut
October 5th, 2014, 11:59 PM
I usually drop back the frequency of washing and will diffuse with warm (not hot) air after washing. Otherwise it would stay wet until the next wash! I also up the frequency of oil application, especially on the ends.

I thought the same thing, except I have an old 80s hair dryer with one setting.. My hair is always "wet", as in always feels wet and stringy :/ I wish there was a better way to dry.. I can't just wrap it up because my hair hates that. I've tried everything really. My hair always looks stringy for hours. Wish I knew how to fix that. :steam

YGDW
October 6th, 2014, 12:16 AM
- Don't go outside with wet hair when it's freezing. Your hair will turn into icy spikes.
- I always cover my hair when the weather really bad.
- Most often with a water proof, insulated hood that comes with my super warm winter coat. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit that well with a bun, so I wear braids much more often.
- I also tend to oil it a little more often for extra conditioning. The air seems dryer due to all this heating systems in offices and things like that.

I can't believe it, but I'm actually looking forward to winter!

veryhairyfairy
October 6th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Since I already wear my hair up all day every day, there are really only 3 things I do different in winter vs warm seasons:
1. Step up the oil. Instead of my usual 4 drops after a wash, I might put in ten drops and some Fox's Shea Conditioning Creme on top. My hair will be in a bun or braid anyways, so I take advantage of having a warm hat on to do a 24/7 deep treatment.
2. Cover it when outside. A nice warm hat, a scarf, a hood, etc. The dry winter air makes my skin unhappy, so I try to minimize my hair's contact with it, too.
3. NO HUMECTANTS! This is one that is essential for me, and the big tip I always give when talking about winter. Humectants are great for me in the warm/humid months because the moisture in the air gives the honey/aloe/etc something to grab onto; but when there is low/no humidity, that honey/aloe/etc grabs the moisture out of your hair instead.

jacqueline101
October 6th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Well my routine stays pretty much the same all year. I don't co wash but the rest of my routine stays the same.

DweamGoiL
October 6th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Whoah! That sounds amazing, and I love coconut oil! Is it very expensive? Also, could you get it on amazon I wonder..?

Yes, you can get it from Amazon and it's not that much more expensive than coconut oil...ok, maybe a bit, but not anything crazy. You just need to make sure that it has the Appellation D' Origine logo to be sure you are getting an Authentic Monoi from Tahiti. http://catbabe1.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/monoi.jpg There are a lot of other mixes that claim to be genuine Monoi Oil. Since you use it so sparsely, a small bottle will last a really long time.

Madora
October 6th, 2014, 08:44 AM
I thought the same thing, except I have an old 80s hair dryer with one setting.. My hair is always "wet", as in always feels wet and stringy :/ I wish there was a better way to dry.. I can't just wrap it up because my hair hates that. I've tried everything really. My hair always looks stringy for hours. Wish I knew how to fix that. :steam

Gustavonut, apologies if I sent this to you already! Here's how to dry your hair outside ..or indoors, with a portable electric heater:

Hair should be completely detangled and slightly damp before starting. The more water you can express from your strands, the faster the air drying will be.

Part your hair from nape to center of forehead so that it is in two sections. Band off one section with a scrunchie to keep it separate from the other section.

Take a pencil thin size sliver of hair in your hand.
Bring your hand up to your ear and then extend it all the way out (to the side)
Slowly let the strands drop to the floor

Take another pencil thin section and repeat steps 1-3

Repeat with the rest of the hair. Keep repeating the hair fanning motions until the hair is dry.

Once you notice that the hair is becoming drier, you can take larger portions of the hair, but use a wide tooth comb in place of your hand. Go slowly and gently when using the comb.

When hair is dry, band off the section with a scrunchie to keep it out of the way. Repeat the hair fanning procedure with hair in the other section.

When finished, you can leave hair as is, or apply your favorite oil, etc. and style as desired.

The technique was developed by me after years of having to wait forever for my very thick, long hair to dry (using the hair laying on a towel down the back approach). It took forever and I wanted a faster method.

Outside, my hair dries in 20 to 25 minutes. Indoors it takes about 45 minutes, using a portable electric heater (standing about 4 feet away).

The secret to drying your hair quickly is to thoroughly detangle it when you start, and to keep the air circulating through it as you fan the strands.

chen bao jun
October 6th, 2014, 08:49 AM
I quit using humectants in winter, too. I do crown braids (made with french braiding around my head) a lot because they fit under hats and can be left in 2-3 days. I wear satin sleep caps under wool hats and I try to arrange washing so that my hair will be dry when I go out. I watch the dew point carefully on the weather to see if I will need lots of extra oil or only a little.

fairy_hair
October 6th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I will be putting olive oil on the open ends of my french plait :)

Chromis
October 6th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I switch to wearing a log roll held with a Ficcare in the winter because it is really flat and fits well under hoods and hats. Hoods and hats are pretty much mandatory for me if I don't want to freeze my ears off in the winter here. Because I am a wienie about being cold, my hair is covered when outside as soon as it gets nippy. In fall I start wearing slouchy wool berets and in winter I wear even thicker berets and put my parka's hood up over them to block the wind. I've shown off my knitted hats in a few threads. Long hair is a great reason to learn how to knit since I can make just the hats I want! I don't have any trouble using wool and do not use any sort of silk liner or such.

I wash the same way all year round and and never use heat. I try to time my washes such that my hair is only damp when I need to go out and then I just put it up and throw a hat on like normal. When I get home, I let it down again to finish drying and this works out fine. I do oil it a little more, but I am not sure if my hair really needs it or I am just more compelled to do so in winter. My hands soak it right up at least :lol:

Actually come to think of it, oiling it a bit heavier might be why I don't have frizz troubles from my wool hats!

lapushka
October 6th, 2014, 09:52 AM
LOC to me is *the* way to go, especially in winter time. It locks the moisture in your hair after washing, and moisture is key! Link is in my signature.

maegalcarwen
October 6th, 2014, 09:55 AM
What works well for moisture? I tried the SMT, but its not enough for my ends. They usually get dry and frizzy.
Also, here winter it not really freezing, just windy and wet. As in, rainy and very high humidity. My hair is so frizzy...How to deal with that?

gustavonut
October 6th, 2014, 10:56 AM
What works well for moisture? I tried the SMT, but its not enough for my ends. They usually get dry and frizzy.
Also, here winter it not really freezing, just windy and wet. As in, rainy and very high humidity. My hair is so frizzy...How to deal with that?
From the advice I've gotten, wear a hat more often in winter. Just a nice soft one that won't cause friction, or maybe just a silky thing to cover your hair.
I've never tried the SMT because I don't have Shea butter. So far nothing is working for me, and it's already really windy and cold here.
My hair can't be put up into anything else but a ponytail, anything else just makes it greasy and flat. I wish I knew how to fix that.
Grow, hair, grow!

Oh and about the moisture thing, have you tried coconut oil? Or jamaican black castor oil? That seems to work for me but the next day my hair gets greasy...ugh.

Gustavonut, apologies if I sent this to you already! Here's how to dry your hair outside ..or indoors, with a portable electric heater:

Hair should be completely detangled and slightly damp before starting. The more water you can express from your strands, the faster the air drying will be.

Part your hair from nape to center of forehead so that it is in two sections. Band off one section with a scrunchie to keep it separate from the other section.

Take a pencil thin size sliver of hair in your hand.
Bring your hand up to your ear and then extend it all the way out (to the side)
Slowly let the strands drop to the floor

Take another pencil thin section and repeat steps 1-3

Repeat with the rest of the hair. Keep repeating the hair fanning motions until the hair is dry.

Once you notice that the hair is becoming drier, you can take larger portions of the hair, but use a wide tooth comb in place of your hand. Go slowly and gently when using the comb.

When hair is dry, band off the section with a scrunchie to keep it out of the way. Repeat the hair fanning procedure with hair in the other section.

When finished, you can leave hair as is, or apply your favorite oil, etc. and style as desired.

The technique was developed by me after years of having to wait forever for my very thick, long hair to dry (using the hair laying on a towel down the back approach). It took forever and I wanted a faster method.

Outside, my hair dries in 20 to 25 minutes. Indoors it takes about 45 minutes, using a portable electric heater (standing about 4 feet away).

The secret to drying your hair quickly is to thoroughly detangle it when you start, and to keep the air circulating through it as you fan the strands.

I'll remember that. Because I never comb my hair when it's wet, my hair can't take it.

Yes, you can get it from Amazon and it's not that much more expensive than coconut oil...ok, maybe a bit, but not anything crazy. You just need to make sure that it has the Appellation D' Origine logo to be sure you are getting an Authentic Monoi from Tahiti. http://catbabe1.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/monoi.jpg There are a lot of other mixes that claim to be genuine Monoi Oil. Since you use it so sparsely, a small bottle will last a really long time.

Thank you so much :) I'll try it out once I have the money!

Would this happen to be it? http://www.amazon.com/Monoi-Tiare-MONOI-TIARE-Vanilla/dp/B006OC9HWA/ref=sr_1_35?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412615960&sr=1-35&keywords=Monoi+oil

maegalcarwen
October 6th, 2014, 11:31 AM
From the advice I've gotten, wear a hat more often in winter. Just a nice soft one that won't cause friction, or maybe just a silky thing to cover your hair.
I've never tried the SMT because I don't have Shea butter. So far nothing is working for me, and it's already really windy and cold here.
My hair can't be put up into anything else but a ponytail, anything else just makes it greasy and flat. I wish I knew how to fix that.
Grow, hair, grow!

There is no shea butter in SMT, just conditioner, aloe vera and honey: )

And for coconut oil, its not really for moisture, more for shine for my hair. Its like nothing moisturises it... maybe time to clarify?

DweamGoiL
October 6th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Would this happen to be it? http://www.amazon.com/Monoi-Tiare-MONOI-TIARE-Vanilla/dp/B006OC9HWA/ref=sr_1_35?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412615960&sr=1-35&keywords=Monoi+oil

It looks like it. I got mine years ago and it has a stamp on the back with the appellation from Tahiti.

LadyCelestina
October 6th, 2014, 12:29 PM
What I have been doing to deal with the cool weather is that I forego any leave ins except for oil,and if I wash my hair in the evening,I slightly over oil my hair.It is just right in the morning.I also try to get my length wet as little as possible by doing scalp only washes (I don't apply water-based products in between washes to my length,just oil),and let it dry fully before going out if the temperatures are close to zero.

I focus on moisturizing/patch repairing my hair when I fully wash it.

ETA: I use either oil or oil/silicone serum.I also wear my hair up a lot during the winter.

ETA 2: Aha your hair gets weighed down easily,so my advice probably won't work for you :( sorry

gustavonut
October 6th, 2014, 01:56 PM
There is no shea butter in SMT, just conditioner, aloe vera and honey: )

And for coconut oil, its not really for moisture, more for shine for my hair. Its like nothing moisturises it... maybe time to clarify?

Oh! Too bad my aunt used all of my aloe vera. (Without asking, and she drank it all...)
Ah I just clarified today and I think it helped a lot.
I'm going to co my hair again in 7 days