PDA

View Full Version : see through hair?

Chocowalnut
October 5th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I did not know what this meant until recently but I am now noticing all of my hair is see through and it feels like hardly any hair at all when I hold it. What is the cause of this if I take care of my hair? What can one do to get "more hair" I guess so it is not see through and does not feel like nothing?

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I feel like that with my hair, but it's got lots to do with my texture, my hair poofs, and it feels very airy and light always. Even if my braid looks thick, it feels like no weight at all. Is it my type of hair, I don't know. But I feel the same with my hair.

Chocowalnut
October 5th, 2014, 06:18 PM
I feel like that with my hair, but it's got lots to do with my texture, my hair poofs, and it feels very airy and light always. Even if my braid looks thick, it feels like no weight at all. Is it my type of hair, I don't know. But I feel the same with my hair.

Exactly the same with the "airy" description that's how mine feels too.. :/

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Your hair is wurly too, so maybe it has to do with our types of hair. Anyone else that feels like their hair weighs nothing?? Mine is see through too, because it "poofs" which I mean, each hair wants to be separate from the other hairs, they don't stick together like "straight" people's hair, mine make like spiderwebs, so that's why it is see through. When it's wet, it is not like that, which is why I think it's texture. People who have thinning hair say that when there hair is wet, it looks more thin, and mine is the opposite, mine is more "sealed" when wet, because my hairs are "sitting" and as they dry, they all poof up and go in weird directions, so it becomes more see through. Hope that helps!

DweamGoiL
October 5th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I think a picture would be good to assess how 'see through' your hair really is. Hair thinness can be maximized with good nutrition and protecting your hair against breakage and damage, but for the most part, it's just genetics. Some illnesses and medications can thin out hair as well, but basically there is no magic to make hair thicker.

petitepraline
October 5th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Is it tapering off? Agree with DweamGoiL. A picture would help.

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Looking at your picture on your profile, it doesn' t see through, but mine doesn't either, but when I see it in person, it does look see through. But my ponytail measurement is 3.75" and even at that good number, it still feels very light, especially compared to my daughter (her pony is 4.25")

Chocowalnut
October 5th, 2014, 07:38 PM
I will post a picture when I get my camera

gustavonut
October 5th, 2014, 07:47 PM
This is exactly how my hair is too. I think it's because my hair is so light colored.

Chocowalnut
October 5th, 2014, 08:19 PM
OK I posted a picture in my albums it kind of shows what I mean.

DweamGoiL
October 5th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I saw your picture and I don't think it's see through. To me, it looks like the waves clump together, which is something a lot of people want to achieve :)

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Yep exactly what she said. It's just normal curly/wavey, just like me. Look at my pictures. If I straighten my hair, but it is still in clumps, it is STILL see through. If I want all my hairs to sit down together, I have to start blow drying from when it's wet, otherwise, forget it, my hairs just aren't attracted to each other. Just part of having our type of hair. I'm glad to know you think your hair does weigh anything,because I feel so like that. My daughter's hair feels twice as heavy as mine, mine is just so lightweight!! Part of it is from all the curls in the air!!

Chocowalnut
October 5th, 2014, 08:45 PM
OK :) I have just been worried about it somewhat being so light and seeming thin-ish.. Thanks!

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2014, 08:55 PM
And don't know if you're like me, but my part looks wider than others because the "poofiness" allows more light to enter!

Chocowalnut
October 5th, 2014, 08:58 PM
And don't know if you're like me, but my part looks wider than others because the "poofiness" allows more light to enter!

Yes! My part seems a little wide and I just thought my hair was thin or it was from always letting it part in the same place. Haha it's funny how similar the behaviors are for similar hair types.

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2014, 09:11 PM
good to know because I was asking everyone the same question, because in pictures, you can see "scalp on both sides of my part", not much, but you can see it, and someone mentioned to me that it was also because of how my hairs grow up and out, and they dont grow sitting close to the scalp. That's why it is so good to find others who have similar traits so you don't think it's a problem.

Chocowalnut
October 5th, 2014, 09:26 PM
good to know because I was asking everyone the same question, because in pictures, you can see "scalp on both sides of my part", not much, but you can see it, and someone mentioned to me that it was also because of how my hairs grow up and out, and they dont grow sitting close to the scalp. That's why it is so good to find others who have similar traits so you don't think it's a problem.

Looked at your pictures and it seems like we could be hair twins other than the color. Our curl patterns and behaviors seem pretty identical.

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I think we are both happy to find this thread and find each other so we can relieve each other's worries. The other day someone else told me that she finds these little short, transparent hairs when she oils her scalp and she was worried about them. I said, hey, I shed those two, little hairs like 1 inch long that are super fine (my hair is medium to coarse) and are kind of kinky and they just dont grow. We both felt better knowing we're not the only ones in the world to have this. I was almost ready to people watch and try to find people with wide-er parts than mine. But look, I found you!!

StellaKatherine
October 5th, 2014, 09:44 PM
It looks normal to me. And the longer the hair becomes - the more so called "see though" happends. I noticed especially if I brush my wavy hair it becomes huge and see through :D Honestly this never actually bothered me. But then again in LHC everything might start feel weird after looking at all the stunning manes here ;)

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2014, 09:52 PM
good point!

It looks normal to me. And the longer the hair becomes - the more so called "see though" happends. I noticed especially if I brush my way hair it becomes huge and see through :D Honestly this never actually bothered me. But then again in LHC everything might start feel weird after looking at all the stunning manes here ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
October 5th, 2014, 11:11 PM
I don't know why you are worried, this looks perfectly normal for wavy hair. Plus your ends are less see through than mine :)

jeanniet
October 6th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Nope, it's perfectly normal for wavy/wurly hair. It's because of the way it clumps together. If it makes you feel any better, I have a 5" pony and the same kind of look. I actually want my hair to be airy, lol, so it's very layered. Without the layers, it tends to be limper and just too much.

mamaherrera
October 6th, 2014, 01:55 AM
the only thing I don't like about the "airy" part, is when I want to put in jaw clips or clips, it's like I'm grabbing no hair, it's hard to find "hair" to clip because my hair opens up so easy, not like straight hair that has a heavy "layer" over layer. Ours is so poofy than whereever you stick the clip or whatever, it goes straight to scalp almost!!