PDA

View Full Version : Communicating with my Stylist? (Pics)

heyitsmiriam
October 5th, 2014, 03:53 PM
So, since my sister can no longer get me a discount from the amazing salon and spa she used to work at, I have to pick up and move on...

My recent-ish haircut from my now former stylist was this:

http://oi57.tinypic.com/oo3uo.jpg

Looking back at it, I don't think I really liked it. Question is: How would you describe the cut in that picture? I want to know what exactly he gave me so I can avoid getting this cut next time.

My goal for my style is this:
http://oi62.tinypic.com/125j49v.jpg

I feel like her layers are a bit longer and less choppy and defined than mine were. I'm aiming for a U-shaped cut, and I love the volume she has, as well as her parting. I've since started parting my hair deeply and love it. In my provided pic, I have a more shallow part.

Since I'm going to a new stylist, I want to know exactly how to communicate with her to achieve this cut. I tried clicking the "How to Communicate with your Stylist" link on the newb guide, but it doesn't work. :(

Any help is appreciated :)

heyitsmiriam
October 5th, 2014, 04:09 PM
oops...double post. Can mods please delete this thread? Thank you :)

lapushka
October 5th, 2014, 04:18 PM
To get to the style on the bottom, you're going to have to thicken up your layers, meaning, letting it grow out, and microtrimming the bottom layer until the other layers catch up. You can't just go in and have that cut in the second picture, you're lacking the hair for it right now.

heyitsmiriam
October 5th, 2014, 04:26 PM
To get to the style on the bottom, you're going to have to thicken up your layers, meaning, letting it grow out, and microtrimming the bottom layer until the other layers catch up. You can't just go in and have that cut in the second picture, you're lacking the hair for it right now.

That photo was taken in April. Any and all layers have grown out 96% of my hair is back to a one length.

lapushka
October 5th, 2014, 04:40 PM
That photo was taken in April. Any and all layers have grown out 96% of my hair is back to a one length.

Sorry, thought that was a current picture. :)

Stormynights
October 5th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Show the stylist where you want your shortest layer to be and where you want the length to be, then say a prayer.

heyitsmiriam
October 5th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Sorry, thought that was a current picture. :)

No problem :), thank you for your advice though. I needed to know that!

Show the stylist where you want your shortest layer to be and where you want the length to be, then say a prayer.

LOL. Thank you so much :)

Hootenanny
October 5th, 2014, 07:13 PM
The difference between the pic of your haircut and the pic of the haircut you would like, as far as I can tell, is the your hair was given medium to long layers throughout. That means layers were cut into the back as well as the front. In the pic of the hair you want, the layers are face-framing only. So, what you should tell your stylist is that you want face-framing layers only, and that you want the back to be all one length. Hopefully you will have a good stylist who can understand the difference! :)

Macaroni
October 5th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Look at YouTube for face framing layers. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how good most of them are at cutting their own hair.

heyitsmiriam
October 5th, 2014, 07:51 PM
The difference between the pic of your haircut and the pic of the haircut you would like, as far as I can tell, is the your hair was given medium to long layers throughout. That means layers were cut into the back as well as the front. In the pic of the hair you want, the layers are face-framing only. So, what you should tell your stylist is that you want face-framing layers only, and that you want the back to be all one length. Hopefully you will have a good stylist who can understand the difference! :)

Ahh! YES! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! You are completely correct - my hair was layered throughout. Thank you so much!!!

Merlin
October 6th, 2014, 12:21 AM
If they're any good you should be able to show them the picture of what you want, then they'll deliver that adapted if needs be to work with your hair and face shape. But you started by asking around all your friends who have good haircuts where they go first so you've got some solid recommendations didn't you? :-)

heyitsmiriam
October 6th, 2014, 12:30 PM
If they're any good you should be able to show them the picture of what you want, then they'll deliver that adapted if needs be to work with your hair and face shape. But you started by asking around all your friends who have good haircuts where they go first so you've got some solid recommendations didn't you? :-)

Many of my friends don't actually get their hair cut often enough to recommend! I'm trusting yelp and pictures to help me find a good salon, and I think I've found a good one :) I'm trying to make an appointment for this week or next week if I'm lucky!