PDA

View Full Version : Hair falling out after washing

aforestfae
October 5th, 2014, 05:12 AM
How much hair coming out is typical after washing?
Every time I wash my hair I get quite a bit coming out, it's enough for me to wonder if it's too much, my comb goes from hair free to completely tangled in hair and then more comes out after as I'm styling it or finger combing it, it comes out as I'm washing it too, I'm not sure exactly how much hair is coming out as I haven't counted.
I changed my shampoo from head and shoulders to lush seanik/fairly traded honey but I'm having to change back as my dandruff has returned :justy:
But I don't think changing shampoo has had much of an impact on the amount of hair coming out.
I sometimes comb before washing depending on how tangled my hair is and a fair amount comes out then too, today I combed and used a brush and still the usual amount of hair came out after washing.
Is there anything I can do to minimize the amount that comes out once my hair is wet?

leilani
October 5th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Don't touch it until it's totally dry.

StellaKatherine
October 5th, 2014, 06:58 AM
My hair falls pretty a lot while washing and whie finger combing it ( after it is dry ),but after that I get about 5 hair per day falling out. What I noticed is, that the longer hair is the more it looks like you have a LOT of hair falling out while it is actually same amout as before, strands are just so much longer!

Isilme
October 5th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Try to comb your hair before washing and then don't comb again until it is dry or mostly dry.

Beckstar
October 5th, 2014, 07:30 AM
It's quite normal to shed a lot of hair per day. I know I do lose 100+ hairs a day. The hair on my scalp isn't thinning, I'm careful about having my hair when it's wet (lots of conditioner, protein treatments, and only combing when I use a leave-in or oil that helps the comb slide through and detangle rather than breaking from being rough). That's 3a/b hair care though. I don't do much to my hair when it's drier because it breaks up my curl pattern. It looks like the advice to leave it alone until it's almost dry makes a lot of sense.

lapushka
October 5th, 2014, 07:34 AM
My hair gets combed both pre-wash and post-wash (when it comes out of the towel and is toweldry). Both times it's a sink full (mind you, no combing/brushing for a week here). Do use a comb, and then a brush before you wash, a brush gets much more sheds out than a comb does, that's why we follow up with a brush. After a wash it's comb-only, and once.

Madora
October 5th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Be sure to brush your hair out well before you get it wet.

How are you using your hands/fingers when shampooing? That can have a bearing on hair fallout too. Do you shampoo gently? Rinse gently?

You can comb your hair...very carefully, when it is full of conditioner. Go very slowly! **

From personal experience, I would not wait until hair was dry to try and get a comb through it! Breakage city..not fun! ** Your hair should be in THIN, SMALL STRIPS when you detangle it. Small, thin strips are better because they allow you to find the tangle more easily.

dogzdinner
October 5th, 2014, 08:14 AM
I think it varies with alot of factors. Like how often you wash your hair, what is normal for you and what type it is. I have lots of fine hair that gets washed once a week so I tend to lose a giant clumpful at a time (waaaaay more then what is supposed to be average!). But thats totally normal for me so I dont worry.
I agree with Madora too that gentle detangling can help. I always comb my hair before washing with a wide toothed comb then finger comb it when I condition so there are never any real tangles.

Phexlyn
October 5th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Be sure to brush your hair out well before you get it wet.

How are you using your hands/fingers when shampooing? That can have a bearing on hair fallout too. Do you shampoo gently? Rinse gently?

You can comb your hair...very carefully, when it is full of conditioner. Go very slowly! **

From personal experience, I would not wait until hair was dry to try and get a comb through it! Breakage city..not fun! ** Your hair should be in THIN, SMALL STRIPS when you detangle it. Small, thin strips are better because they allow you to find the tangle more easily.
I agree 100%. How much hair do you lose in between wash days? If you keep your hair up all the time and don't do much with it between washes, you'll end up with more hair falling out on a wash day because the hairs are already lose/have fallen out but didn't get the chance to seperate themselves from the rest of your hair. Therefore, it'll look as if you're losing a lot of hair during the wash, but in fact it's just the normal amount accumulated over several days.

lilin
October 5th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Yup, I get tons of hair fall when I wash and comb, but not much at any other time. It's always been that way, but more now that I wash my hair only twice a week.

I think it's a simple case of "saved up" shed hairs. I only comb every couple days, and only wash it twice a week. Given that I have some texture, my hair just tends to cling on to those shed hairs, and they all come tumbling out together when washed or combed.

I don't think I'm actually losing any more hair, and it certainly doesn't look like it's thinning. I think the less you wash it, the more shed hairs you'll see when you do, and the more texture you have, the more dramatic the effect will be.

Hootenanny
October 5th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I'll just second everyone who said that if you keep your hair up all the time, then it'll look like more hair is coming out when you wash. I keep my hair up all day, every day, and when I finally let it down to wash, the hair that comes out can be made into a ball roughly the size of a hamster! It looks like a huge amount, but that's my total hair loss for the week, so it's well within the range of normal.

Panth
October 5th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I don't think it's the fact that it's wet that's causing hair fall but rather that the manipulation of washing plus the pro-slip qualities of conditioner that help the hairs that are shed but still in your hair to work their way out.

Generally, everyone loses more hair on wash day than any other day. How much you lose will depend on how often you detangle (daily detangling will result in about 1/7th of the hair that weekly detangling will, for obvious reasons), how often you wash (same reasoning), whether you wear your hair contained (if you braid/bun your hair, much less of the shed hair will be able to work its way out during the day than if you wear it loose) and how long your hair is (longer hairs look like "more hair" shed).

If you're concerned about hair loss, a much more effective way to monitor it is to measure your ponytail circumference every month.