PDA

View Full Version : Layers or no layers

jen5972
October 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM
Hi all. I have tailbone length hair, and the tangles are once again horrible :(. I keep growing out to this length, then chopping because the tangles get so bad. I have tried oils, conditioners, spray detanglers, and silicones. Nothing has worked. I am thinking about cutting in long layers (keeping the length at tailbone) to see if it would cut down on the tangles. Any thoughts or opinions?

animetor7
October 3rd, 2014, 10:37 PM
I would say only cut in layers if you're alright with some braid shred, because it is unavoidable. Perhaps a way to lessen braid shred and possible tangles is going for a u or v shape in your cut so that less of the hair has to reach so long, but it also won't be layered which can be obnoxious.

Madora
October 3rd, 2014, 11:36 PM
Cutting layers is not going to solve the tangling problem. Hair tangles, period.

Have you tried clarifying your hair? Cranky hair is sometimes due to buildup on the strands that makes hair "grabby" or "tangly". If you do clarify, be sure to follow it with a moisturizing treatment directly afterwards. The clarifying shampoo removes all the gunk from your strands and they feel like hay. They're supposed to feel like hay. That shows the clarifying shampoo has done its job. You restore your hair to rights by doing the moisturizing treatment.

You can avoid tangles if you wear your hair UP.

If you prefer to wear it down, then you are going to have to be much more proactive in keeping it detangled more often. Don't wait until the end of the day to deal with tangles.

Personally, I don't care for layers. I prefer hair that is all one length because it is more powerful, more attractive, more eye catching than something that has been cut in layers. Also, one length hair is easier to care for when it comes to trims and S and Ding is a lot simpler when you have one length hair.

And if you leave your hair all one length, you don't have to go thru the interminable time it takes to grow out layers! Hair all one length is easier to style. With layers, you're constantly battling little hairs springing out all over when you try to braid or bun.

fišrildi
October 4th, 2014, 02:31 AM
I wouldn't go for layers, definitely. Do you normally wear your hair down? Or do you do protective styles often?
Just like Madora says, wearing your hair up avoids tangles, and you can avoid them by braiding as well. If you wear your hair loose, you're going to get tangles... that's unavoidable. Sleeping with a silk cap could do wonders for your hair, have you tried that out? Gently detangling every night before going to sleep (fingercomb), moisturizing the ends with a tiny drop of coconut oil, braiding, and putting on a silk cap, and you'll wake up with glorious, tangle-free hair.

If you decide to go for layers, make sure that's what you want. Layers will take time to grow again, hair will loose volume, and braiding will look... well, different.
But that is up to you :wink:

DreamSheep
October 4th, 2014, 03:05 AM
Yes, I'd be wary of getting layers. I have layers - and although my hair isn't particularly tangle prone, I certainly feel my bottom, longest and thinnest layer is most fragile because it is not protected by the rest of the hair, and I think after all it is the length that tangles.

Layers will certainly get rid of weight and volume and might make hair more manageable to an extent, but beware of bits poking out in supertapered braids and rebellious ends saying hello from the updos.

Siiri
October 4th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I have had both one-length and layered hair, and didn't see a difference in tangling. If for one reason or another you decide to get layers, remember that there are different kinds of layers. For example if the shortest layers start from your chin, your length will be a lot thinner and you'll have more bits sticking out of your braid or bun than if the layers start from 4 inches above your hemline. Also it's better to cut them or have them cut with scissors rather than with a razor in my experience, because the result will be less frizzy.

DweamGoiL
October 4th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Layers is something you should consider very carefully. I currently have layers in my hair and love them. I have wrestled with letting them grow out and instead going for a U hemline since yes, my updos are a pain and I don't even bother with thick braids anymore. I only do accent braids when in the mood because of the wispy bits sticking out all over the place. However, I do love to wear my hair down most of the time so the layering helps off-set the weight due to the thickness of my hair. The layers also add mobility to the hair. It no longer lays flat on my back like a thick cape, and I can wear it down longer as it grows. In the past, I grew to TBL with a straight hemline, and by the time I hit wais, my current length, I could only wear it up because it got into everything. The layers also adds bounce to my waves, and in some regards do help slightly with tangling since the hair is maintained freshly cut and any scraggly ends, get cut off at the next appointment so the ends never get really grabby.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/dweamgoil/Long%20Hair%202003%20to%20Now/092914_2_zpsab44fd41.jpg

Having said that though - I only usually end up redoing my layers maybe once or twice a year. I S&D every couple of months, but my hair is not very prone to splits. I have the layers cut in with scissors not razors, and keep them relatively long starting at about shoulder length and having them gradually blend into the length. The key is to get a really good stylist that can blend the layers in well if you decide to get them. Layers are challenging to begin with, but badly cut choppy layers can be nightmarish.

Good luck in your decision!

lapushka
October 4th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Hi all. I have tailbone length hair, and the tangles are once again horrible :(. I keep growing out to this length, then chopping because the tangles get so bad. I have tried oils, conditioners, spray detanglers, and silicones. Nothing has worked. I am thinking about cutting in long layers (keeping the length at tailbone) to see if it would cut down on the tangles. Any thoughts or opinions?

You might try conditioning twice. That's the way I deal with tangles. And it's great for your ends, as well!

turtlelover
October 4th, 2014, 10:40 AM
My opinion is that straight hair looks better w/ no layers when it is really long, or w/ just a little bit of layering/angle on the sides, but wavy/curly hair usually looks better w/ some layering.

DweamGoiL
October 4th, 2014, 10:48 AM
My opinion is that straight hair looks better w/ no layers when it is really long, or w/ just a little bit of layering/angle on the sides, but wavy/curly hair usually looks better w/ some layering.

I tend to agree with this as well.

jen5972
October 4th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Thank you all for the advice so far. My hair is naturally wavy, and has ALWAYS had a tangle issue (grrr!). I do CWC, which helps somewhat. The tangles aren't so bad when it is wet. It is when it is down and dried that it is so bad. I wear my hair down about 50% of the time. I'm thinking against layers now, except for maybe around my face (the shortest layer being bra strap length). Maybe a U shape would help. I am willing to try that before layering. I trim my own hair, so I don't have to worry about a hairdresser cutting off too much. I just wish I could wave a magic wand and have no more tangles!

captaincrunch
October 4th, 2014, 03:59 PM
I am at TBL. I have layers but am trying to grow them out. I recommend avoiding tangles altogether by detangling with a ton of conditioner then braiding all while in the shower. Once it dries in the braids you can put it up into a bun.

TBL seems to be the length that it gets impractical to wear hair down.

Turtle above is right about who layers look good on.

lilin
October 4th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I would vote no, if wanting to avoid tangles is your only reason for wanting it.

One, I have not noticed any reduction in tangling for having layers. If anything, they are sometimes even worse. Those shorter hairs on the top layer don't have to travel as far to wind up tangled up in the longer hairs. All layering has done is move the worst of my tangles from the end of my hair to right on the back of my head. And in a way, that's worse -- it takes longer to comb them down, because they start so far up the hair shaft.

Two, I agree with a couple others that I think layering has made my longest layer more vulnerable to damage. Because the thickness at the bottom is so thinned down, each individual hair takes more of a beating than it would if it were surrounded by more of its buddies. And keep in mind, these are your very oldest hairs, which need the most protecting.

I've recently come to the conclusion the last 6 inches or so of my hair is unsavable, due to mechanical damage (both due to my previous styling, and also due to the aforementioned mid-shaft tangles which I used to rip through pretty harshly). I don't think it would have been this bad if my hair had all been one length. It's not all due to the layering -- as I said, I used to have pretty bad handling practices. But I think uniform length hair would have withstood it better, and I might not have wound up having to do a huge chop.

leilani
October 5th, 2014, 06:31 AM

I have long straight hair with compact cut layers in the most drastic fashion, as shown here :

http://i.imgur.com/akBE9I3.jpg

Is it awful or will it be far better without layers if I go into "really long" territory? I've never had longer hair but I know I like the shaping and style layers give me since I only wear it down. I am genuinely asking,& not trying to be contrary.

LongCurlyTress
July 30th, 2015, 08:46 AM
I am trying to grow out my layers that I creaclipped in myself last June, 2014. The thinner braid tassel and also the more pronounced tapering from the layers drive me nuts. ;( plus I also get more tangling throughout the length due to the layers and ends throughout the body of my hair. ;( Wish I had never cut them in. The do look nice though on others and periodically I am tempted to just brush all my hair in front of my face and cut accross the hemline two inches up and walllaaa! layers again!! ;)

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw5HH5z3z4o[/url

Another alternative to cutting layers throughout your hair is to just layer into the front bangish section from ear above the head to in front of the other ear, so only face framing layers. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j176GUXEjU0

vpatt
July 30th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Layers is something you should consider very carefully. I currently have layers in my hair and love them. I have wrestled with letting them grow out and instead going for a U hemline since yes, my updos are a pain and I don't even bother with thick braids anymore. I only do accent braids when in the mood because of the wispy bits sticking out all over the place. However, I do love to wear my hair down most of the time so the layering helps off-set the weight due to the thickness of my hair. The layers also add mobility to the hair. It no longer lays flat on my back like a thick cape, and I can wear it down longer as it grows. In the past, I grew to TBL with a straight hemline, and by the time I hit wais, my current length, I could only wear it up because it got into everything. The layers also adds bounce to my waves, and in some regards do help slightly with tangling since the hair is maintained freshly cut and any scraggly ends, get cut off at the next appointment so the ends never get really grabby.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/dweamgoil/Long%20Hair%202003%20to%20Now/092914_2_zpsab44fd41.jpg

Having said that though - I only usually end up redoing my layers maybe once or twice a year. I S&D every couple of months, but my hair is not very prone to splits. I have the layers cut in with scissors not razors, and keep them relatively long starting at about shoulder length and having them gradually blend into the length. The key is to get a really good stylist that can blend the layers in well if you decide to get them. Layers are challenging to begin with, but badly cut choppy layers can be nightmarish.

Good luck in your decision!

Your hair is awesome! Lol, I think I just mentioned that yesterday, but this photo really shows it off. So much great hair here.....Will mine EVER be long?!?

vpatt
July 30th, 2015, 09:06 AM
I have long straight hair with compact cut layers in the most drastic fashion, as shown here :

http://i.imgur.com/akBE9I3.jpg

Is it awful or will it be far better without layers if I go into "really long" territory? I've never had longer hair but I know I like the shaping and style layers give me since I only wear it down. I am genuinely asking,& not trying to be contrary.

I cannot advise on layers, just wanted to say how pretty your hair is.....can everyone tell I have hair envy?

turtlelover
July 30th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Layers vs. no layers.....the perpetual issue when growing out my wavy hair. Pros for layers -- less tangling, my hair looks better air dried, and it has more volume on top. Cons -- I can't blow dry it straight because it frizzes, I can't do decent braids, the ends seem thinner, and my hair looks less impressive overall. *sigh*

Oh, I see now that this is an old thread. I wonder if the original poster ever decided what to do!

LongCurlyTress
July 30th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Layers vs. no layers.....the perpetual issue when growing out my wavy hair. Pros for layers -- less tangling, my hair looks better air dried, and it has more volume on top. Cons -- I can't blow dry it straight because it frizzes, I can't do decent braids, the ends seem thinner, and my hair looks less impressive overall. *sigh*

Oh, I see now that this is an old thread. I wonder if the original poster ever decided what to do!

I reactivated this for someone who is thinking about letting her layers grow back out. The original poster did cut very long layers into her hair last spring, 2015 and now loves them so it's all good! It's always good to reactivate a helpful thread imo!! But her hair is also at TBL so the weight was very heavy for her and now she is good to go with layers alleviating that weight. :popcorn: I cut my layers in last June, 2014 and regret it due to uneven frizz, thin hemline (the l layers took away the hemline thickness which I miss ;( and bun/braid shredding. :( Also I have very curly 3b hair which has its own difficult issues to deal with at this TBL almost length so... anyways, no more layers for me but on some they work great! ;) guess it all boils down to personal preference. ;)

lapushka
July 30th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I'm not actually thinking of growing out my layers, just going from the short layering technique to the long layering technique again. :D

turtlelover
July 30th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I'm leaning towards growing out the layers once I hit bra strap length, but my hair gets too pyramid shaped w/out layers up until that point. Unfortunately, I DO know I would miss being able to air dry my hair, brush through it, and still have the waves look nice! Without layers, it looks top heavy and poofy at the bottom when air dried. I either need to blow dry it straight (the ends usually turn under a bit w/a little coaxing) or put gel in it and diffuse for some nice waves/curls, but I can't brush them out and have them look decent like I can w/ layers. However, I just love the thick hemline and shine I get w/out layers when I do blow dry it straight.

spidermom
July 30th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I like variety. I've loved them, but right now I'm letting my layers and bangs grow. Actually, I'm letting it all grow; no trimming. I'm happy that there are so many options. When I get tired of one look, I can get a different look.

Laur
July 30th, 2015, 09:57 AM
I like them when I wear my hair down, but I hate them when I try to wear it up (bun/braid shred is a real issue). Currently I'm growing my layers out, because the hemline of my hair looks so pathetic - even if the layers do add bounce and movement to my curls when I diffuse my hair, it's just way easier for the 95% of the time I wear my hair up to have it be all one length. (But then I might change my mind in 6 months!)

henné
July 30th, 2015, 10:12 AM
I agree with others that said that layers are best for wavies and one length tends to be better for straighties. I'm a wavy and yes, my hair looks better with layers in.

I see lots of you folks dislike braid taper and I don't. I don't see it as a problem and I don't see layers as an issue in updos either.

I like the movement layers give, I like the variety of texture it gives - shorter layers tend to be wavier than the longer ones - I like the light it adds to the hair. It gives more life to the hair. Not to mention that certain face types really really need layers (for example I do - I have a very square/angular face).

If you want to avoid tangles, condition, moisturise, clarify and get trims periodically. I don't think getting layers will do anything about that though ... so getting layers should not be based on trying to avoid tangles :)

lapushka
July 30th, 2015, 10:31 AM
If you want to avoid tangles, condition, moisturise, clarify and get trims periodically. I don't think getting layers will do anything about that though ... so getting layers should not be based on trying to avoid tangles :)

Yes, totally! Only a good conditioner takes care of the tangles! :)

LongCurlyTress
July 30th, 2015, 10:41 AM
I'm not actually thinking of growing out my layers, just going from the short layering technique to the long layering technique again. :D

Oh!! ;) LOL! I am sure your hair will be beautiful with either long or short layers Lapushka!! :blossom:

LongCurlyTress
July 30th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I'm leaning towards growing out the layers once I hit bra strap length, but my hair gets too pyramid shaped w/out layers up until that point. Unfortunately, I DO know I would miss being able to air dry my hair, brush through it, and still have the waves look nice! Without layers, it looks top heavy and poofy at the bottom when air dried. I either need to blow dry it straight (the ends usually turn under a bit w/a little coaxing) or put gel in it and diffuse for some nice waves/curls, but I can't brush them out and have them look decent like I can w/ layers. However, I just love the thick hemline and shine I get w/out layers when I do blow dry it straight.

If you can wait it out and not layer into your length-- I have very curly 3b hair and what happens at waist? and beyond is the weight of the hair due to the length of the hair pulls down the curls and the pyramid shape calms down, at least this is what happened to me. If you layer into your hair at apl? not sure with your profile pic, but then it will just extend the need to cut in layers, but everyone has their own way of doing this. Good luck with your curls. They are pretty though in your profile pic!! :)

lapushka
July 30th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Oh!! ;) LOL! I am sure your hair will be beautiful with either long or short layers Lapushka!! :blossom:

Oh thank you, that's so nice of you to say! :D

lilin
July 30th, 2015, 11:26 AM

The first thing I did was look at your texture, and for someone with any amount of wave, I wouldn't recommend layering as a way to solve tangles.

It didn't help my tangling issues on the whole, and actually made it worse on the very back of my head. I believe the reason is because the longer hairs -- which are heavier, and therefore straighter -- just serve as a perfect anchor for the shorter and wavier hairs to loop themselves around it and get into a mess.

Also, I found that the longer layers were more vulnerable to damage, despite that they were the thickest hairs on my head. I wonder if this is because they aren't as protected by the surrounding hair because there's less thickness at the bottom, the same way people with thinner ponytail circumference often have more trouble with mechanical damage.

I think clarifying is probably the thing you should try right now. Mineral or product build-up can cause roughness, which means the hairs are more likely to twist around each other as they rub together, resulting in tangles. Even if you add more slip with oil, cones, or whatever, it's settling on top of an uneven, bumpy hair surface. So clarifying may help clean off that bumpy surface and give you less tangles.

You may also want to try some lock-encouraging techniques, like only detangling when you wash and then plopping when hair is wet. I find my hair tangles much less when I have defined locks, because there's groups of hairs all curling in the same direction, and when the hairs are grouped together like that, they don't twist around each other as much. I don't know if 2a hair will lock as much as curlier hair does, but it's worth a shot anyway.

If you do find clarifying helps, you may want to take a look at whether you have hard water, or if you use products that contain hard-to-shift ingrediants, and perhaps either address those or make clarifying a thing you do on a schedule (however often you need, really).

jen5972
July 30th, 2015, 12:04 PM
This is an old thread that I started. I fought with my tangles for years. The tangles were so insane that I was ready to chop my hair. In May of this year, I decided to try layers out of sheer desperation. I used the CreaClip and kept my length but cut in layers. The tangles are SO much better. Updos and braids are a challenge, but the layers are worth it to me. Here is a link to my before and after: https://m.facebook.com/#!/706922369425972/photos/pcb.766291660155709/766290383489170/?type=1&source=48

lapushka
July 30th, 2015, 12:10 PM
This is an old thread that I started. I fought with my tangles for years. The tangles were so insane that I was ready to chop my hair. In May of this year, I decided to try layers again out of desperation. I used the CreaClip and kept my length but cut in layers. The tangles are SO much better. Updos and braids are a challenge, but the layers are worth it to me. Here is a link to my before and after: https://m.facebook.com/#!/706922369425972/photos/pcb.766291660155709/766290383489170/?type=1&source=48

I, for some reason, can't see those pictures. Oh well. :shrug:

I have layered hair, but if I use the wrong conditioning treatments, I can get tangles (I make damn sure I don't). It's a moisture game, IMMHO. Not a length or layers vs. no layers thing. That is what goes for me, in any case.

spidermom
July 30th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Layers helped my tangling issues a lot.

Like lapushka, I couldn't see pictures, either. The link took me to a miniature view of my own FB page.

jen5972
July 30th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Hmmm. Not sure why it isn't working. If you type in the Facebook search box "A Style A Day" it will take you to my page. You will have to scroll down past the newer stuff to get to it. I tried to post from photobucket, but my Kindle won't let me. Sorry about that! I haven't been super great about updating my page, as summer has kept me busy.

lapushka
July 30th, 2015, 03:15 PM
I don't have FB, sorry. :(

jen5972
July 30th, 2015, 03:25 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s227.photobucket.com/user/jen5972/embed/Mobile%20Uploads/story"></iframe>

Okay, I'm trying this again with photobucket. Hope it works!

jen5972
July 30th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Aaaaand that would be a no. I cannot get the link for photobucket to work :(.

DaveDecker
July 30th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Hi Jen! :waving:

In your link, replace "embed" with the file name (ex: xyz.jpg), and wrap everything between http and jpg with the [ IMG ]and [ /IMG ] tags only (remove the spaces). You could also use the test forum to work out the formatting.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s227.photobucket.com/user/jen5972/embed/Mobile%20Uploads/story"></iframe>

Okay, I'm trying this again with photobucket. Hope it works!

lapushka
July 30th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Did you grab the BBcode? It looks like you grabbed the html links.

jen5972
July 30th, 2015, 04:03 PM
I couldn't use my Kindle for the link. I had to get on my laptop. Top pic is before. Bottom pic is after. http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd88/jen5972/Mobile%20Uploads/11143589_766290346822507_907445780708827072_n.jpg (http://s227.photobucket.com/user/jen5972/media/Mobile%20Uploads/11143589_766290346822507_907445780708827072_n.jpg. html)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd88/jen5972/Mobile%20Uploads/11244919_766290383489170_7066232833376736271_n.jpg (http://s227.photobucket.com/user/jen5972/media/Mobile%20Uploads/11244919_766290383489170_7066232833376736271_n.jpg .html)

jen5972
July 30th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Hi Dave :)!!! Long time no "see"!

lilin
July 30th, 2015, 04:21 PM
This is an old thread that I started. I fought with my tangles for years. The tangles were so insane that I was ready to chop my hair. In May of this year, I decided to try layers out of sheer desperation. I used the CreaClip and kept my length but cut in layers. The tangles are SO much better. Updos and braids are a challenge, but the layers are worth it to me. Here is a link to my before and after: https://m.facebook.com/#!/706922369425972/photos/pcb.766291660155709/766290383489170/?type=1&source=48

Interesting! I'm glad it worked for you. :)

turtlelover
July 30th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Jen, I think I remember following your styling videos on youtube awhile back, and I remember one video where you were talking about cutting your hair because you were frustrated with it, and I told you I wouldn't! Anyway, the layers look great. This is making me re-think growing mine out!

*ReiKa*
July 30th, 2015, 06:28 PM
Just popping in to say that your hair looks soooo much better with layers :) but I love layers, so I am kinda biased ;)
Very glad it helped with the tangles too!! Some layers can actually make hair more tangly (the ones refined with thinning scissors/razors. Ugh God, nobody wants those!!shudder:)

spidermom
July 30th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Your hair is very pretty with the layers, which is complimenting myself also because my hair style is similar (less wavy).

lapushka
July 31st, 2015, 02:30 AM
Much like my before/after pictures when I did my compact cut (well my mom chopped it off for me). I like the results on you! :)

jen5972
July 31st, 2015, 07:58 AM
Thank you all for your kind words :)!!

turtlelover
July 31st, 2015, 10:16 AM
Jen, your hair is seriously beautiful both with or without the layers! Since I have wavy hair, you are my new long hair inspiration!!!! I'd be so happy if I could get mine to waist looking so amazingly thick and healthy. :-)

jen5972
July 31st, 2015, 12:41 PM
Aww, thank you turtlelover! You look even more wavy than me, and your hair is gorgeous! I did do a few styling videos. I did a vlog awhile back where I was talking about cutting my hair, but I changed it to private (although those who commented can still see it). That must have been the video you were talking about. With the tangles, I felt like it was either I chop it off or try layers. With the layers, I am able to keep the length (it is just about tailbone) without the massive tangles. It has been great :).

turtlelover
July 31st, 2015, 01:55 PM
Jen, I hope that you keep making styling videos! I'm only at APL, so that limits my options right now, but I am sure that it will get easier as it eventually grows longer even if I keep some layering. My hair has to be coaxed a bit to look as curly as it did in my profile pic, and I have to blowdry/diffuse it to bring out that quality. Air dried it just looks wavy, and I can brush out the waves and still have it look OK because they flatten out. I do have a significant amount of gray and go back and forth about coloring. That is probably the biggest battle right now at 40. I do also fight tangles when my hair is longer, which is what drove me to my last big chop, which I naturally regretted right afterwards!

jen5972
August 1st, 2015, 11:14 AM
Well, it is beautiful, so you are obviously doing something right :). I was getting lots of silvers for awhile, but they seem to be slowing down, thankfully. I'm not sure I could go gray or not. I know ladies who have, and they look amazing, but I don't know if I could be that brave :).

turtlelover
August 1st, 2015, 08:02 PM
Jen, I did stop coloring once and was OK w/ the silver itself but I felt like I didn't have quite enough to make it look good at that time. I felt like the few silver hairs that I had REALLY stood out because my hair is so dark. I think I am going to try weaning totally off color again soon, but for now, I think I will hit the roots w/ semi-permanent color for awhile (it really DOES seem to leave my hair quickly, unlike demi) so it will blend in to the lower parts where some demi color still refuses to leave. The problem with starting to color is that you can quickly begin to feel like a prisoner to it -- roots show QUICKLY in updos, etc., so I felt like I couldn't do much w/ my hair after like 10 days post color. That made long, tangle prone hair harder to deal with on a daily basis since I was constantly trying to avoid roots showing so felt like I HAD to wear it down all the time. Plus, if you ever want to stop coloring for good, it is hard to do that w/out looking awkward and/or a big chop. I want long, silver hair in my 50s -- a lady from my church has inspired me, so I suppose I'd rather dislike my hair somewhat now than deal w/ all of that in a decade! HAHA So much to think about that wasn't even an issue in our 20s and 30s! Oh, and your hair is much, much lighter than mine. I bet you will go gray FAR more gracefully than me!