PDA

View Full Version : How do I make my hair the same color all over?

gustavonut
October 3rd, 2014, 12:14 PM
I want my hair to be the same color as my roots all over, does anybody know how to achieve this? Here's what my hair looks like: http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k626/ImprintedLittleGirl/91a5e0a149325d40dbb5d9fa75051834_zpsa295fdaa.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k626/ImprintedLittleGirl/8bad2189742feb0084c7d56692dde277_zps457fec82.jpg
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k626/ImprintedLittleGirl/697afbb32196b7ddebb150b9abd15bdc_zps63286142.jpg
The pictures are really grainy because I only have an iPad to take pics with.

It's a greyish-ashy-blonde color and I want my hair to be that color all over. Any suggestions on what could help? :confused:

Larki
October 3rd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Is it your natural color? If so, the sun kinda just does that. :p

leilani
October 3rd, 2014, 12:20 PM
I would go to a salon and ask them to do it for you and avoid your virgin roots if you are trying to grow out virgin hair. I was in nearly your exact situation about six months ago and I was so loathe to put anything damaging on my hair but I wanted it all uniform and I have gone through everything and every color and I wish I had just gone to a salon and let them match my length to my roots. One peroxide treatment isn't the end of the world if it's your last...

gustavonut
October 3rd, 2014, 12:23 PM
Is it your natural color? If so, the sun kinda just does that. :p

My roots are my natural hair color. And there hasn't been any sun here lately D: it's been raining constantly and tornadoey

I would go to a salon and ask them to do it for you and avoid your virgin roots if you are trying to grow out virgin hair. I was in nearly your exact situation about six months ago and I was so loathe to put anything damaging on my hair but I wanted it all uniform and I have gone through everything and every color and I wish I had just gone to a salon and let them match my length to my roots. One peroxide treatment isn't the end of the world if it's your last...
Well, what would they do to help it? I don't want to bleach, dye, or do anything that will dry it out or ruin it again. I'm still recovering from my first bleaching disaster.

ghost
October 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
Visit a salon and ask them to do it for you. Since your hair is light to begin with and you want to go a little darker to match your roots, ask about using semi-permanent color on the blonde sections. Usually the highest amount of developer you'll need for that is 10 volume, which isn't terribly bad for your hair.

gustavonut
October 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM
I'll try anything natural, just no dyes or anything damaging please!

ETA:

Visit a salon and ask them to do it for you. Since your hair is light to begin with and you want to go a little darker to match your roots, ask about using semi-permanent color on the blonde sections. Usually the highest amount of developer you'll need for that is 10 volume, which isn't terribly bad for your hair.

Well that's the problem. I don't think I'll ever go back to a salon again. I want to go all natural. But thank you for the tip. If nothing natural helps then I'll resort to dying it... I really don't want to dye it again though :(

Nightshade
October 3rd, 2014, 12:30 PM
You could try a walnut dye. One of our LHCers did it with some success:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112907

Just make SURE you allergy test with walnut.

gustavonut
October 3rd, 2014, 12:33 PM
You could try a walnut dye. One of our LHCers did it with some success:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112907

Just make SURE you allergy test with walnut.

Huh that's pretty cool! But will it make my hair brown? :/

divinedobbie
October 3rd, 2014, 12:34 PM
How about trying a deposit only dye like Adore or I think Wella is one too? You'd have to reapply it every few weeks or so but it's not damaging at all.

lapushka
October 3rd, 2014, 12:48 PM
It's perfectly normal for your ends to be lighter than your roots, it's the markings of "natural" and "virgin" hair. Only hair color is even throughout.

Nightshade
October 3rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Huh that's pretty cool! But will it make my hair brown? :/

Can't say for sure :) You'd have to strand test with shed hair on your brush. I think the suggestion of a deposit-only dye is good, those won't hurt your hair at all :)

gustavonut
October 3rd, 2014, 02:21 PM
How about trying a deposit only dye like Adore or I think Wella is one too? You'd have to reapply it every few weeks or so but it's not damaging at all.

Ah.. Do you think there's a henna that would do the same thing?

Can't say for sure :) You'd have to strand test with shed hair on your brush. I think the suggestion of a deposit-only dye is good, those won't hurt your hair at all :)

Is there a henna I could use to help? I'll look up the deposit only dyes but I want to try to stay away from anything drying.. I've never done henna before but if it would help with the two color situation then that would be nice.

brickworld13
October 3rd, 2014, 02:25 PM
Ah.. Do you think there's a henna that would do the same thing?

Henna is always going to be red or orange. Especially in the sun. Mixing it with other herbs will give different colors in different lighting, but it's almost always orange or red in the sun.

Nightshade
October 3rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
Aye, henna is going to be orange. You could try a blend of cassia and walnut, but it's going to be a process of experimentation to find what you want.

leilani
October 3rd, 2014, 02:30 PM
Henna is exactly the thing I would not recommend. You'll end up with stark roots again, 6 weeks later, since you don't have red hair. If you want to try to do something once and then grow out natural and your own color, ask a salon to do low-lights to blend in your natural color with the dyed blonde and then grow it out like a trendy ombre. It's just one time. Do lots of gelatin protein treatments before and after and coconut oil the night before the salon. A bit of peroxide will not ruin your hair, just baby it and lots of SMTs after each protein treatment.... Your hair will be fine.

gustavonut
October 3rd, 2014, 03:02 PM
Aye, henna is going to be orange. You could try a blend of cassia and walnut, but it's going to be a process of experimentation to find what you want.

I'm going to try this out before doing and dyeing. I hope it turns out well!
I hope this isn't a stupid question but..if I use honey and cinnamon will it lighten the roots if I just apply it to the scalp and roots? I'm just mainly looking for a more natural looking haircolor instead of the bleached kind of look. :/

Henna is exactly the thing I would not recommend. You'll end up with stark roots again, 6 weeks later, since you don't have red hair. If you want to try to do something once and then grow out natural and your own color, ask a salon to do low-lights to blend in your natural color with the dyed blonde and then grow it out like a trendy ombre. It's just one time. Do lots of gelatin protein treatments before and after and coconut oil the night before the salon. A bit of peroxide will not ruin your hair, just baby it and lots of SMTs after each protein treatment.... Your hair will be fine.

It just seems like it would fry my hair because I've had it bleached once before and it was a horrible experience. I want to be natural..so maybe if I just let it grow out that would help. Who knows really. Thank you though, and wish me luck..I'm going to need it.

Nightshade
October 3rd, 2014, 03:03 PM
I hope this isn't a stupid question but..if I use honey and cinnamon will it lighten the roots if I just apply it to the scalp and roots? I'm just mainly looking for a more natural looking haircolor instead of the bleached kind of look. :/

Worth a try! It doesn't work for some and works for others :)

turtlelover
October 3rd, 2014, 03:19 PM
I don't think I'd color again if I were you, to be honest. I would just use a purple/blue shampoo and conditioner to tone down the brassiness a bit.

DreamSheep
October 4th, 2014, 03:44 AM
I've heard of LHC do coffee rinses to darken their colour if you dn't want to dye (although, as others have said, I think deposit only dyes or veggie dyes should be fine and non-damaging!).

That said, you can definitely pull off an ombre!

Panth
October 4th, 2014, 06:20 AM

The lightening agent in honey is ... peroxide. It may be "natural", it may be at a lower concentration, but it's still peroxide, which is what you're trying to avoid, yes? It's just that honey is also a humectant, so you get a bit of a moisturising effect too. Also, it is certainly possible to damage your hair with honey lightening (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91938) (as with any form of lightening).

The addition of cinnamon seems to be ktani's idea (http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/part-4-of-4-on-innovativee-approaches.html). However, I can't understand her reasoning. She links to a book that supposedly lists the peroxide value of various spices (type "peroxide" into the search bar on the left if the table doesn't come up immediately). However, what the table lists is "POV", which it explains is peroxidase value. That is not peroxide, that is an enzyme that breaks down peroxide (hence why it is an antioxidant). In any case, I wouldn't use powdered cinnamon as it is a skin sensitiser. Not a good idea, IMO.

lapushka
October 4th, 2014, 07:08 AM
In any case, I wouldn't use powdered cinnamon as it is a skin sensitiser. Not a good idea, IMO.

Some people use it in face masks. It *can* burn your scalp & skin.