PDA

View Full Version : Damage or natural taper?

dogzdinner
October 3rd, 2014, 07:40 AM
Is there any way of knowing for sure why your hair is getting thinner or is it just a question of protecting it and having a 'wait and see' approach?
I just measured my circumference the other day and was quite surprised to find that my 3.25in ponytail goes down to 2ins about a third of the way down and about 1in two thirds of the way down.:( The last 6ins or so are growing out from a short crop so I expect alot of tapering there but I dont understand why it thins out much higher up, I certainly cant see any damage although I do have alot of sticky out bits in my braids!

Could my old habit of wearing a half pulled through ponytail have had an effect? :confused:

velorutionista
October 3rd, 2014, 10:16 AM
I think it could be damage from half pulled pony-ing, but I could also be from the shape of your hemline (I know you said you're growing out a short crop, but look and see--do you have a v-shaped or more blunt hemline?...if it's more v-shaped, then that could explain the smaller circumferences).

In any case, babying it and taking the wait and see approach won't hurt.

Anje
October 3rd, 2014, 10:42 AM
I got a lot of taper when I initially grew my hair out. I don't think it was damage nearly as much as the fact that my hair just doesn't all grow the same speed. It's thickened up significantly, and while my hair won't ever by thick, my braids don't taper unreasonably anymore.

Updos help, though, especially if they're held with something secure and non-damaging. (Think forks, sticks, amish pins, spin pins, and ficcares, not elastics.) Wear and tear takes its toll, and leaning against hair when sitting down is surprisingly damaging.

dogzdinner
October 3rd, 2014, 11:59 AM
I def dont have a v hemline, its more or less straight, just abit wispy looking at the very ends! I suppose I'll just have to wait and see if it thickens up.
Luckily after a certain length protective updos just seem much easier so now I rarely use hair elastics/ties and stick to just braids or buns.

LongCurlyTress
October 3rd, 2014, 06:14 PM
Hi dogzdinner,
I am at the same length as you-- 31 inches (just reaching hip length with stretched out tips!)are and I am noticing the same braid taper which drives me crazy. I think the way the hair grows at different rates, along with growing out layers, etc. all play a part. Eventually, the hair will grow thicker in the braid tassel as the layers grow out and micro trimming takes place every so often or at least I am sure hoping so! My pony circumference measures at 4+ inches but the tassel is an inch! I just measured a second ago! GAAAAH!! Oh well. growing out those layers is taking along time! ;/ But, at least it is still growing! You are not alone in your frustration! :justy::popcorn:

Madora
October 3rd, 2014, 10:35 PM
Is there any way of knowing for sure why your hair is getting thinner or is it just a question of protecting it and having a 'wait and see' approach?
I just measured my circumference the other day and was quite surprised to find that my 3.25in ponytail goes down to 2ins about a third of the way down and about 1in two thirds of the way down.:( The last 6ins or so are growing out from a short crop so I expect alot of tapering there but I dont understand why it thins out much higher up, I certainly cant see any damage although I do have alot of sticky out bits in my braids!

Could my old habit of wearing a half pulled through ponytail have had an effect? :confused:

Yes, the half pulled through ponytail could be a major contributor to your taper. Ponytails are not hair friendly and a half pulled through ponytail is even worse. Try and find a style that is more friendly..and that isn't a ponytail.

A bit of taper is to be expected as the hair grows longer. It pretty much boils down to how gentle you are (less mechanical damage) and your hair growth pattern (some hair grows faster/longer on a certain side of the head than the other side). The more protective your are with your hair (in all aspects) the better for the health..and growth..of your hair.