PDA

View Full Version : Shall I trim it and how much?

Honigwein
September 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Hi! Itīs the first time my hair reaches this lenght.My hair is thinner in the end and I donīt know if I shall trimm it or not,or how much and if itīs normal or not. Iīve read somewhere that it might mean my hair wonīt grow longer!!:sad Is that true??

spidermom
September 24th, 2008, 08:46 AM
For almost everybody who grows hair without trimming it, it will get thinner at the ends. Some people grow very long hair like this, so it does not mean your hair will stop growing. I don't like very thin ends, so I trim mine. I get about 1/2 of an inch (a little more than 1 cm) trimmed off every 3 months to keep my ends thicker.

Tapioca
September 24th, 2008, 09:00 AM
You have fairytale ends, and many people around here love their thinner ends. However, some others (myself included) like the hemline more blunt. It's really up to you and what you think looks nicer. You hair will continue to grow, as long as it's in good condition. If you notice that the split ends are getting out of control, however, it may be time for a trim.

xrosiex
September 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I prefer small trims. About every 3 or 4 months. It keeps my hemline alittle thicker.

mjm4
September 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM
i have the same problem of trimming it or not... but not for the same reasons! i'm trying to regrow my hair (it used to be BSL but now it's just about touching my colarbone when i stretch it - it's slightly wavy - so i'm trying to get it back to BSL)

so most of the advise points to starting afresh from a healthy base... how can i even tell? because if i know then i know how much i need to cut or trim...?

sorry hongwein if it feels like i am pushing your topic out of the way... i don't mean it at all. it's just that it feels like every time i click on somethingforum/make a i "do not have the priviledge" to do it :(

jojo
September 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM
If you don't like the look of fairy tale endings then I agree with the others of regular trims every 3 months or so but if you do then just leave them.

I like fairy tale endings on other people if their hair is fairly thick elsewhere on me unfortunatelly my hair would not look right, so I do regular dustings to keep my ends looking thicker. But regardless of what you decide, your hair will grow.

Honigwein
September 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
First of all, good night! And thank you all for your words of experience! My question may sound a little strange but since I don´t believe what they say in saloons over here(things like: you should trim it to grow stronger and blabla) my best and safe choice to reach the final hair lenght I dream of is the forum of course! Ah, mjm4, it´s everything ok! I am glad you can get a good answer as well! By now I think I´ll trim the minimum not to keep feeling something here is ugly(Oh my God it´s 4 cm! huahuahua). Now I feel encouraged by the ladies here! And I hope you can do the same and feel fine after all. Let´s keep growing!!

cindy58
September 27th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I think your fairy tale ends look great with your curls.

Honigwein
September 27th, 2008, 07:40 AM
cindy58
Re: Shall I trim it and how much?
I think your fairy tale ends look great with your curls.:

:D My day started just fine after your gentle comment! Thanks!!!

I didnīt have courage to trim more than 1 cm... :p Thatīs what I did.. maybe I should be more patient and cut another 1 cm in some months instead of staying years without trimming it at all.

Xandergrammy
September 27th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I think your fairy tale ends look great with your curls.

I agree!! :inlove:

FrannyG
September 27th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I agree!! :inlove:

So do I! :cloud9:

Tressie
September 27th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I believe you have found your answer! With only tiny trims, spaced out over time, you probably won't even notice much length lost at all! Good luck! Your hair is lovely! (o:

Aditi
September 27th, 2008, 10:56 AM
If you cant do trim by yourself then you should approach your reliable salon and should firmly tell the stylist that she should trim your hairs in such a way that maximum length of you hair is maintained. Just today i got my hair trimmed and i am not fond of thin ends so that's the same thing i said to my stylist and she see to it that only trimming was done and not over chopping my hair.

Honigwein
September 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Hi, nice people!! Thanks you for your answers!! Everyday I like TLHC more and more for its members! Lovely ones!

Tressie
I believe you have found your answer! With only tiny trims, spaced out over time, you probably won't even notice much length lost at all! Good luck! Your hair is lovely! (o:

Yes, Tressie, by watching long hair pictures in this forum and reading the threads, specially the answers in this one I can feel safe in doing tiny trims! Thank you! (It´s you who has an angelic hair! It looks so healthy and natural!!! )

Honigwein
September 29th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Aditi

If you cant do trim by yourself then you should approach your reliable salon and should firmly tell the stylist that she should trim your hairs in such a way that maximum length of you hair is maintained. Just today i got my hair trimmed and i am not fond of thin ends so that's the same thing i said to my stylist and she see to it that only trimming was done and not over chopping my hair.

Hi, Aditi!
Thanks a lot for your answer!! It would be easier if I could trust a good salon professional. Iīm living in a new city, in a new state and I had a bad experience in here last time I went to a salon. Soon I shall be moving again, this time to Germany and I hope there Iīll be able to find a hair professional I can trust! If not Iīd better start learning how to trim my hair myself and thatīs a hard thing even for an 1 cm trim!!:D Uff!!

Ohio Sky
September 29th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Honigwein, I just went and had a look at your profile pic and I think your hair is gorgeous. The fairytale ends and the deep V shape are very flattering on you. If there's no obvious damage or split ends, I wouldn't worry about trimming much very often at all. :)

spidermom
September 29th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Honigwein, I just went and had a look at your profile pic and I think your hair is gorgeous. The fairytale ends and the deep V shape are very flattering on you. If there's no obvious damage or split ends, I wouldn't worry about trimming much very often at all. :)

I looked, too. Very beautiful and flattering hair; you look great.

Aditi
September 30th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Hi, Aditi!
Thanks a lot for your answer!! It would be easier if I could trust a good salon professional. Iīm living in a new city, in a new state and I had a bad experience in here last time I went to a salon. Soon I shall be moving again, this time to Germany and I hope there Iīll be able to find a hair professional I can trust! If not Iīd better start learning how to trim my hair myself and thatīs a hard thing even for an 1 cm trim!!:D Uff!!
Hii dear, if that is your situation then i have a suggestion for you. If your moving to germany then i m sure there must be many members who belong to Germany and particularly of the city you are moving too, you can ask them about there preferable salons. Or you can ask the locals or your new friends over there about the best salons. Hope my suggestion works for you :)

Katze
September 30th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Hm, haven't had much luck with salons here, but German is not my native language. Many people seem to think that hair should be bleached and blowdried and at BSL until about age 30, then it should be cut off and dyed magenta or bleached further.

Most German LHCers, as well as the 4 or 5 longhairs I know personally here, trim their own hair; yours is certainly long enough to do so with a little care and practice!

Slug Yoga
September 30th, 2008, 04:39 AM

Yes, I agree, I think your hair looks great now, so it is just a matter of what YOU prefer. If you want a thicker or blunter hemline rather than fairytale ends then you can keep up with the small, gradual trims, I think that is a good solution.

Honigwein
September 30th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I still didnīt have enough time to look around the groups and itīll be helpful to start a contact with members in Germany section.(Thanks for the tip, Aditi) Anyway its safer for me to know how to trim my hair myself, noone knows if Iīll find good indications in the city of Rostock and surroundings!(Another nice tip, Katze) Anyway I never felt so happy with my hair as now and if I havenīt entered this forum I would always think Iīm an ugly duck! Thanks to you all I can see myself different!! :D :puppykisses:

Aditi
October 1st, 2008, 03:42 AM
Your welcome dear glad to be helpful :)

Arctic_Mama
October 1st, 2008, 03:46 AM
As everyone else mentioned it's totally a matter of preference. I don't know WHAT I like on myself yet, for example, because my hair is a gentle U shape but fairly blunt since it's short. I have one more normal trim to deal with some damage next week and then I figure I'll wait maybe six months worth of growth to see how I like it. If I find no damage and it doesn't look 'ratty' I don't see why I would trim it. I really have no clue if I will like thinner ends or not so I figure time will tell.

That's my method anyway! I'd hate to keep it permanently blunted and never see what I like, I can ALWAYS trim it back, if need be :)