PDA

View Full Version : NW/SO Scalp Psoriasis

Kivamaki
October 2nd, 2014, 12:43 PM
I've been attempting No Water Sebum Only for about a year and a half now, and water only for about 3 years before that, and typical organic shampoos before that. Durring ALL of this I've had pretty bad psoriasis. Red, really itchy and white flakes that are endless. The only thing is haven't really tried is Coal Tar. But ive stayed away from chemicals for nearly 6 years so im just worried.

Things I've tried:

Neem Oil
Castor oil
Neem wood comb
Apple cider vinegar
Nizoral 1%
Tea tree oil
Coconut oil
Shea butter
Hemp oil
And the list goes on

Any help? Im just at a loss. I dont want to shave my head either because i know it'll still flake.

Panth
October 2nd, 2014, 12:49 PM
In short: go to a doctor.

Leeloo
October 2nd, 2014, 01:09 PM
Have you tried selsun blue shampoo? You have to wet your hair and leather up with this shampoo and leave it on your scalp for 5-15 minutes for medicine to work. That's what the doctor most likely is going to suggest you do first, but going to see a dermatologist is always a good idea. This is not a one time deal. You'll have to use this shampoo every time you wash your hair if you keep seeing the flakiness though.

Kivamaki
October 2nd, 2014, 01:11 PM
In short: go to a doctor.

Been. Prescribed to a lot of different foams and shampoos that i researched that didn't seem to do much for people

brickworld13
October 2nd, 2014, 01:12 PM
Have you tried selsun blue shampoo? You have to wet your hair and leather up with this shampoo and leave it on your scalp for 5-15 minutes for medicine to work. That's what the doctor most likely is going to suggest you do first, but going to see a dermatologist is always a good idea. This is not a one time deal. You'll have to use this shampoo every time you wash your hair if you keep seeing the flakiness though.

Yes, you do have to use the shampoo pretty much all the time. I had it under control after years, but then I moved and the water here is full of something that brought the flakes back so I had to resume using Selsun Blue. My scalp loves it. The rest of my hair doesn't so I try to keep it out of the length.

Kivamaki
October 2nd, 2014, 01:18 PM
Yes, you do have to use the shampoo pretty much all the time. I had it under control after years, but then I moved and the water here is full of something that brought the flakes back so I had to resume using Selsun Blue. My scalp loves it. The rest of my hair doesn't so I try to keep it out of the length.

How do you just wash your scalp without it getting in your hair?

brickworld13
October 2nd, 2014, 01:22 PM
How do you just wash your scalp without it getting in your hair?

It's a pain in the butt. You either end up with hair in your face or shampoo running down your face. The easiest way that I used to be able to do was to kneel and wash in the tub. My hair is too long for this now. I would kneel, get everything wet, put conditioner on the length and tie it up in something messy that was out of the way, shampoo and leave it to soak for a while before rinsing everying and conditioning as usual. You could also just lean forward so the suds don't end up in the length. Only problem is that now they are in your face.

ETA: This would be easier in a mobility impaired shower, but I've never used one of those.

jeanniet
October 2nd, 2014, 02:18 PM
Been. Prescribed to a lot of different foams and shampoos that i researched that didn't seem to do much for people

Did you actually try any of them for the length of time it takes to see results? The problem with the scattered approach you're trying is that you may be making your scalp even worse. When you try a new method, you really have to keep at it for at least two months (barring any obvious and immediate negative reactions). So if you're jumping from one possible solution to another, you may be either aggravating your scalp or not giving things enough time to work. If you didn't try any of the medicated shampoos, I'd start with those. See if they work at all--if they do, great. If not, or if they're only partially successful, see if there's another medicated shampoo that will be better. Get your scalp calmed down, and then maybe see if more natural solutions will work. Chemicals/medications are not the enemy used judiciously, and you really don't want to end up with a serious skin infection. Obviously the approach you've been taking isn't working, so maybe it's time to try something else.

GetMeToWaist
October 2nd, 2014, 02:29 PM

Even if they don't work for some, they may work for you. It's definitely worth a try.

Panth
October 3rd, 2014, 12:33 AM
Even if they don't work for some, they may work for you. It's definitely worth a try.

This.

Also, how did you research it? If it was online (or even if it was off, tbh) you're going to encounter sample bias. Namely, when was the last time someone spontaneously came up to you (or started a thread on a forum, or whatever) and said "hey, you know what? my medication is working just fine!"? It just doesn't happen. Generally, the only people who talk about their medication are those who have problems with it. However, that's far from the whole population of people who are using that medication.

Ingrid
October 3rd, 2014, 01:08 AM
Your list of things that you've tried doesn't make it sound like it's SO... Maybe your scalp and hair needs clarified to remove everything you've put on it? I agree with the suggestions of a scalp wash at least.

Panth
October 3rd, 2014, 11:22 AM
Your list of things that you've tried doesn't make it sound like it's SO... Maybe your scalp and hair needs clarified to remove everything you've put on it? I agree with the suggestions of a scalp wash at least.

How would removing product by clarifying treat psoriasis? You don't get product build-up on skin - your skin naturally sheds its outermost layers all the time, preventing any possible build-up. I also don't see how treating product build-up on hair would affect the health of the scalp.

Psoriasis is an inflammatory skin condition.