PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Shred

TheBlondieDream
October 2nd, 2014, 09:33 AM
I've tried and search something similar but miserably failed, so i decided to open this thread.
As fall comes, there's this terrifying moment where you seem to shred hair as you were bond to be bald in a blink, so....how do you cope with this period of the year? how much hair you usually shred?

ladonna
October 2nd, 2014, 09:39 AM
I shed a lot of hair in the fall/winter, but the resulting thinness is only noticeable to me. I tend tend to shed a lot regardless, this is is also the time of year where my hair grows faster, maybe an inch a month. From spring through summer it seems like my hair hardly grows.

maskedrose
October 2nd, 2014, 11:48 AM
I think I'm experiencing a seasonal shed right now....I shed a kitten in the shower this morning :( At least I hope it's seasonal...

mamaherrera
October 2nd, 2014, 12:31 PM
I too, am shedding a lot more right now. Since I used to count my hairs, I can guesstimate it's like 100-120 per day. Hoping it slows down before my ponytail goes down!

lapushka
October 2nd, 2014, 02:40 PM
Yep, started for me too. I like how the title says "shred" instead of shed. Maybe we should call it the bi-annual shred? :lol:

neko_kawaii
October 2nd, 2014, 02:42 PM
Yep, started for me too. I like how the title says "shred" instead of shed. Maybe we should call it the bi-annual shred? :lol:

I keep misreading shred as sherd. *sigh*

brickworld13
October 2nd, 2014, 02:46 PM
I keep misreading shred as sherd. *sigh*

It's your ladybrain. You've used it too much.

Stray_mind
October 2nd, 2014, 02:46 PM
Ohh, i shed TONS of hair compared to summer.. :( How do i cope with it?.. I gather it up from the shower floor, roll it into a ball that is a size of a mouse, cry inside a little and throw it away, then i put my hair up and try not to think about it too much...
I think it also has to do with my rare combing... I comb only once a day.

lapushka
October 2nd, 2014, 03:00 PM
Ohh, i shed TONS of hair compared to summer.. :( How do i cope with it?.. I gather it up from the shower floor, roll it into a ball that is a size of a mouse, cry inside a little and throw it away, then i put my hair up and try not to think about it too much...
I think it also has to do with my rare combing... I comb only once a day.

My hair's only combed once a week, I get about two of those big "hairballs". Right now it's more like 3 every weekly wash, but hey... it's just a recurring theme, right? Happens every year. :shrug:

Stray_mind
October 2nd, 2014, 03:03 PM
Yeah. All of those hairs will be replaced by new strong and healthy strands :)

two_wheels
October 2nd, 2014, 03:06 PM
I have it too. I just avoid measuring circumference or anything like that. Nothing you can do short-term, after all!

dancingpoet
October 2nd, 2014, 03:11 PM
I don't know if my recent shedding was seasonal or because I switched shampoos, or both. Anywho, I remember shedding a lot this time of the year last year, so it's probably that. Most of my shedding is found in my hair brush. I figure it just looks like a lot more hair because it's significantly longer than it was last year. Nothing kitten sized, thankfully, but I tend to get a strand or two (or more... I think it's slowing down) every time I run my fingers through my hair.

Begemot
October 2nd, 2014, 03:15 PM
I had it already and the shedding has slowed down back to normal. I always shed at the end of the summer, when it's just turning to fall season. This is also the time when my scalp gets upset so there's shed hair everywhere and then some flaking that makes me crazy insecure.
I always try to not stress about it and I don't even know how much excatly I shed (normally and on the shedding season). I'll just comfort myself thinking this is normal, nothing to worry about. I also try to treat my scalp, moisturise and keep it clean.

mamaherrera
October 2nd, 2014, 03:38 PM
I want new, long, healthy strands, but I hope the new one's come in with color, I don't need more white ones! Not now!

tokugawa.miyako
October 4th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I'm beginning to think that this is happening to me too. I woke up one day and was rather surprised at the amount of hair I was losing when I combed. I've bee told, though, that my hair doesn't look any thinner to anyone else, so I'm just trying to push the thought out of my mind.

Chocowalnut
October 4th, 2014, 08:40 PM
It seems I've been shedding a ton of hair recently too. I thought it might be from stress or something else but the season makes sense too. And I am getting all these tiny little curly hairs in on top now which can be annoying but I am hoping it is new growth and not broken hairs..

gustavonut
October 4th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I've read that cowashing helps. Can anyone fill me in on this?

Aurum
October 4th, 2014, 11:30 PM
I just recovered from a bad 'shred' this summer. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there was a hairball blocking the shower drain every time I finished showering, which was horrible to try to grab with a disintegrating tissue. Thankfully the worst seems to be over, though just in time for my follicles to go into winter hibernation! Can't win, can we? :rolleyes:

Ferngear
October 5th, 2014, 01:36 AM
I get a lot of shedding this time of year, but in addition to that we also get hot dry winds in October that somehow make my hair super static-charged no matter how moisturized it is or how much oil I try to tame it with. So besides losing some of it, the rest of it clings to itself to lie flat and close to my head, making it look uber-thin. Can't wait for the weather to turn cold and damp (for Southern California, anyway) since that's when my hair really grows and curls.

two_wheels
October 5th, 2014, 01:56 AM
I've read that cowashing helps. Can anyone fill me in on this?

Co-washing helps some people (if SLS irritated their scalp) but others (incl me) get massive shedding when they co-wash. I think it's worth trying - but just be aware that this happens to some people, don't try to power through if your scalp really hates it.

hanne jensen
October 5th, 2014, 05:03 AM
I'm not shedding more than normal, but I sure am shredding. No matter how careful I am with my hair it's breaking.

lapushka
October 5th, 2014, 05:26 AM
Co-washing helps some people (if SLS irritated their scalp) but others (incl me) get massive shedding when they co-wash. I think it's worth trying - but just be aware that this happens to some people, don't try to power through if your scalp really hates it.

Yes, some people shed even worse than a seasonal shed on CO. So look out for that. I wouldn't test-drive it for that reason while undergoing a shed already.

Edelweiss
October 5th, 2014, 05:50 AM
I shed a lot of hair during all the year so I'm used to it