PDA

View Full Version : Flaky and sometimes itchy scalp :(

Mymlan
October 2nd, 2014, 02:28 AM
Hi everyone, hoping for som input here.

I've been having problems with my scalp on and of for some time, but I really ran into trouble about a year ago. Sense then I've stopped using schampos containing SLS which have helped a lot but I still experiences som flakiness and itching. I've tried using a gel, with vitamin B5 and castor oil, when my scalp is already flaking. This does help some, but it also makes my hair oily and I need to wash it more frequently. My last two hair washes I've finished with a ACW rinse, hoping to restore the pH-balance but so far it haven't helped much :(

Anyone with tips on what to do?

tigereye
October 2nd, 2014, 03:08 AM
Ok. A few questions first.
1) When does the itching start or get worse? Is it straight after washing, between washes, does it get worse shortly before a wash?
2) What is your routine? How often do you wash, what do you wash it with, and what do you use between washes/as leave ins/as treatments etc. ?
3) What surfactant does your current SLS-free shampoo have in it instead of the SLS? (The most common as SLES, sodium myreth sulphate, ammonium lauryl ether sulphate, ammonium lauryl sulphate, cocamide DEA, and cocoamidopropyl betaine. Because most of these are related, the only one in that list I'm not allergic to is cocoamidopropyl betaine, and a few more obscure, milder ones that you dont come across often.)
4) Do any of your products have 'cones in it, and if so, which ones? (I ask, because this partly relates to the surfactant question above, plus, not some cones build up while others dont)
5) Do you use conditioner near your scalp?
6) When was the last time you clarified?
7) Do you have hard water in your area? When was the last time you chelated?
8) Do you have any known allergies or other medical conditions (such as eczema, or dermatographia) which could be affecting the itchiness?
9) Do you have dry skin in general (ie, on your face, elbows, hands, soles of feet) ?

I'm sorry I'm not much help at the moment, but answering some of these questions might at least be able to narrow things down so we can try to figure out what the cause is, and hopefully help to find an answer for you.

Mymlan
October 2nd, 2014, 04:07 AM
Alright lets see,
1) When the flaking occurs it usually start about a day after washing and mainly at the top and front of my scalp, the itching is less frequent and starts a few days after washing.
2) I used to be a simple SC washer but the last few times I've done a CSC wash, about every five days or so, sometimes once a week. I don't use any leave ins or special treatments at the moment, and haven't really for a long time.
3) *Staring at shampoo bottle* None :S Right now I'm using a shampoo from Shea Moisture http://www.sheamoisture.com/Raw-Shea-Butter-Moisture-Retention-Shampoo_p_799.html and the conditioner in the same series.
4) No, no silicones. My hair spray does contain denatured alcohol though which I guess could make my scalp dry, but I use it very moderately.
5) Well, both yes and no. I never put co on my scalp but I do pile my hair on top of my head during the rest of my shower routine.
6) OK, I have to admit; I'm totally at a loss what this means and why I should do it. Same with the chelation :oops:
7) No, soft. 4-6º dH according to my city's web page.
8)9) No allergies, medication or skin conditions. And no dry flaky skin anywhere else.

Mymlan
October 2nd, 2014, 04:08 AM
Alright lets see,
1) When the flaking occurs it usually start about a day after washing and mainly at the top and front of my scalp, the itching is less frequent and starts a few days after washing.
2) I used to be a simple SC washer but the last few times I've done a CSC wash, about every five days or so, sometimes once a week. I don't use any leave ins or special treatments at the moment, and haven't really for a long time.
3) *Staring at shampoo bottle* None :S Right now I'm using a shampoo from Shea Moisture http://www.sheamoisture.com/Raw-Shea-Butter-Moisture-Retention-Shampoo_p_799.html and the conditioner in the same series.
4) No, no silicones. My hair spray does contain denatured alcohol though which I guess could make my scalp dry, but I use it very moderately.
5) Well, both yes and no. I never put co on my scalp but I do pile my hair on top of my head during the rest of my shower routine.
6) OK, I have to admit; I'm totally at a loss what this means and why I should do it. Same with the chelation :oops:
8)9) No allergies, medication or skin conditions. And no dry flaky skin anywhere else.

tigereye
October 2nd, 2014, 06:56 AM
Alright lets see,

Ok, so it's unlikely to be a skin issue if you don't get the issue elsewhere.
Because the itching doesn't start immediately after washing, it's also unlikely to be a sensitivity to any ingredients.

In my opinion, the likely culprit is either the shampoo or amount you're washing.
The shampoo does have a surfactant - without one, it wouldn't foam. It uses decyl glucoside (which is not coconut oil, as it may look on the package, but a derivative of it, as many surfactants are, including SLS). Decyl glucoside is an extremely mild surfactant.
It is possible that the flaky scalp isn't actually dry skin, but rather shed skin sticking to the surface due to excess oil. That would also explain the itching. Some people when they're stretching washes get an itchy scalp coming up to wash day because the scalp is irritated by the sebum and all the shed skin and fluff that gets caught and dissolved in it. Decyl glucoside is so mild that it was effectively useless for washing my hair with. It was worse at cleaning my hair than CO was, and that was a disaster in itself.
If you can find something with cocoaminopropyl betaine, maybe try it. Or try washing more often. Not everyone's scalp is happy with infrequent washing.

LindaLocks
October 2nd, 2014, 07:17 AM
is the flaking and itching really bad? I have psoriasis so it's really bad all over my scalp and can result in some pretty bad dandruff. I use Regenepure DR (http://www.biotinconditioner.com/product/regenepure-dr-hair-scalp-treatment-8-fl-oz-bottle/) from time to time. It's free of parabens and sulfates and contains ketoconazole which is an antifungal ingredient so it totally clears my scalp of flaking. I would definitely recommend trying it. :)

lapushka
October 2nd, 2014, 07:26 AM
I have more than "just" flakiness and itching, I have seborrheic dermatitis. From the sound of it, you might benefit going to a dermatologist to have your scalp looked at properly. If it is SD, then proper washing hygiene is key. I have to use harsh sulfates to keep it at bay.

UniqueWabbit
October 2nd, 2014, 07:42 AM
Have you tried tea tree oil on your scalp? Some on fingertips and rub in, or put a drop in your shampoo or add a drop to your shampoo lathered up from a shampoo bar and wash with that. I have troubles with itchy places, mainly my scalp too but for me it's nerves. I have a place on the outer back of my left knee that itches when I get nervous, too. I don't have flakes though, thank God. That would drive me nuts and I'd be carrying a vacuum with me wherever I went. Tea tree oil really helps me. I had a haircut 4 years ago at a salon. I had to walk there and it was really cold out. I had woken up with a headache already so I was really hurting when I got there. I told the stylist who used a special tea tree shampoo and she literally took my headache away. I'm eternally grateful for learning about tea tree oil.

I sure hope you find the solution soon, I know it can drive a person batty.

Mymlan
October 2nd, 2014, 08:13 AM
Ok, so it's unlikely to be a skin issue if you don't get the issue elsewhere.
Because the itching doesn't start immediately after washing, it's also unlikely to be a sensitivity to any ingredients.

In my opinion, the likely culprit is either the shampoo or amount you're washing.
The shampoo does have a surfactant - without one, it wouldn't foam. It uses decyl glucoside (which is not coconut oil, as it may look on the package, but a derivative of it, as many surfactants are, including SLS). Decyl glucoside is an extremely mild surfactant.
It is possible that the flaky scalp isn't actually dry skin, but rather shed skin sticking to the surface due to excess oil. That would also explain the itching. Some people when they're stretching washes get an itchy scalp coming up to wash day because the scalp is irritated by the sebum and all the shed skin and fluff that gets caught and dissolved in it. Decyl glucoside is so mild that it was effectively useless for washing my hair with. It was worse at cleaning my hair than CO was, and that was a disaster in itself.
If you can find something with cocoaminopropyl betaine, maybe try it. Or try washing more often. Not everyone's scalp is happy with infrequent washing.

Well the frequency has been the same the last then years or so, but the shampoos have differed this year as I'm trying to find my new favorite. The back up shampoo I have at home already is PHD from Living Proof, this contains cocoaminopropyl betaine so I guess I'll give that a go for a few washes and see if there's any differens :)

Mymlan
October 2nd, 2014, 08:19 AM
@lapushka and @LindaLocks
Yeah, I should really gets this checked by a professional I know.. Always takes me to long to do so. But so far it really hasn't been that bad after I stopped using SLS shampoos. The last time I did (last fall) it was awful and I remember my scalp being flaky and sore, it's never been that bad during the last year.

Mymlan
October 2nd, 2014, 08:25 AM
Have you tried tea tree oil on your scalp? Some on fingertips and rub in, or put a drop in your shampoo or add a drop to your shampoo lathered up from a shampoo bar and wash with that. I have troubles with itchy places, mainly my scalp too but for me it's nerves. I have a place on the outer back of my left knee that itches when I get nervous, too. I don't have flakes though, thank God. That would drive me nuts and I'd be carrying a vacuum with me wherever I went. Tea tree oil really helps me. I had a haircut 4 years ago at a salon. I had to walk there and it was really cold out. I had woken up with a headache already so I was really hurting when I got there. I told the stylist who used a special tea tree shampoo and she literally took my headache away. I'm eternally grateful for learning about tea tree oil.

I sure hope you find the solution soon, I know it can drive a person batty.

No I haven't tried tea tree, or any other oil for that matter, other than the gel I bought at the pharmacy (that I don't really like). I guess I could look in to that :)

For me the itching really isn't that frequent, it's more a flakiness issue :/ And yeah, it does drive me nuts!

ladonna
October 2nd, 2014, 10:30 AM
Shea moisture also make a shampoo for itchy scalps, it works awesome for me. It's the African black soap one.

Panth
October 2nd, 2014, 12:58 PM
Flakes and itchiness that develops a few days after a wash sounds a bit like seborrheic dermatitis to me - it is usually caused by an overgrowth of yeast, which feeds of oils including sebum. Thus, it's usually best immediately after a wash and gets worse the longer you prolong it between washing. In addition to the flakes and itchies, if left untreated it can cause considerable hair loss.

IMO, you should go see a doctor. A GP will be able to diagnose most common scalp conditions. This is important as the treatments for one condition (e.g. moisturisers for scalp ezcema) can exacerbate other conditions (e.g. seborrheic dermatitis) and vice versa. Most likely, your doctor will prescribe 2% ketoconazole shampoo. When used exactly as per the instructions this is very effective at treating and preventing yeast infection-based scalp conditions.

Mymlan
October 2nd, 2014, 11:37 PM
Flakes and itchiness that develops a few days after a wash sounds a bit like seborrheic dermatitis to me - it is usually caused by an overgrowth of yeast, which feeds of oils including sebum. Thus, it's usually best immediately after a wash and gets worse the longer you prolong it between washing. In addition to the flakes and itchies, if left untreated it can cause considerable hair loss.

IMO, you should go see a doctor. A GP will be able to diagnose most common scalp conditions. This is important as the treatments for one condition (e.g. moisturisers for scalp ezcema) can exacerbate other conditions (e.g. seborrheic dermatitis) and vice versa. Most likely, your doctor will prescribe 2% ketoconazole shampoo. When used exactly as per the instructions this is very effective at treating and preventing yeast infection-based scalp conditions.

Thanks for your advice! I don't feel like it gets worse and worse over time in-between washes, but you're right, I should go get it looked at. I guess I don't want anything to be wrong, but if I don't go I won't know now will I.

Mymlan
October 3rd, 2014, 12:19 AM
Ok, got my self together and have now booked an appointment. In the meantime I'll try out my shampoo with cocoaminopropyl betaine and hope for the best!

lapushka
October 3rd, 2014, 05:14 AM
Ok, got my self together and have now booked an appointment. In the meantime I'll try out my shampoo with cocoaminopropyl betaine and hope for the best!

If it's SD, then shampoo can't fix it, not one that's that feeble anyway. I have SD, and need the harsh cleansers. That's my experience anyway. I'm glad you're going to have it looked at. In the mean time don't mess with it so the doctor can see it as is!

maegalcarwen
October 6th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Ok. A few questions first.
1) When does the itching start or get worse? Is it straight after washing, between washes, does it get worse shortly before a wash?
2) What is your routine? How often do you wash, what do you wash it with, and what do you use between washes/as leave ins/as treatments etc. ?
3) What surfactant does your current SLS-free shampoo have in it instead of the SLS? (The most common as SLES, sodium myreth sulphate, ammonium lauryl ether sulphate, ammonium lauryl sulphate, cocamide DEA, and cocoamidopropyl betaine. Because most of these are related, the only one in that list I'm not allergic to is cocoamidopropyl betaine, and a few more obscure, milder ones that you dont come across often.)
4) Do any of your products have 'cones in it, and if so, which ones? (I ask, because this partly relates to the surfactant question above, plus, not some cones build up while others dont)
5) Do you use conditioner near your scalp?
6) When was the last time you clarified?
7) Do you have hard water in your area? When was the last time you chelated?
8) Do you have any known allergies or other medical conditions (such as eczema, or dermatographia) which could be affecting the itchiness?
9) Do you have dry skin in general (ie, on your face, elbows, hands, soles of feet) ?

I'm sorry I'm not much help at the moment, but answering some of these questions might at least be able to narrow things down so we can try to figure out what the cause is, and hopefully help to find an answer for you.

I have a similar problem, may I get your insight if I answer the questions?

1) Its usually between washes, starting 3-4 days after washing, mostly on the front of my head, a few centimeters around my hairline. If I really stretch my washes, and my roots become oily, the flaking stops and it just itches, but that is the "wash it already"-itch.
2) I wash 1-2 times a week, usually every 6-7 days. I use a mild shampoo (Alverde Sensitive), and whatever conditioner I can find. I tried switching my routine around, tried everything for a few washes but nothing changed the flakes.I started getting this a few months ago, but i cant recall any huge change besides not using henna or hairdye anymore.
3) I am not sure, but i think the problem is not product related.
4) No, maybe one conditioner, dimenthicone.
5) Sometimes, but it makes me have to wash my hair too often, so no.
6) I don't think I ever did, not really sure how to do it. Any advice? I don't speak the language of the country I live in, but I have never seen any claryfing product available.
7) What is chelating? The water is not hard.
8) To some metals, yes, probably nickel, but I never really got it tested, its just based on earring-problems.
9) No. Sometimes on my legs and soles, but its not super dry.

tigereye
October 6th, 2014, 12:06 PM
I have a similar problem, may I get your insight if I answer the questions?

1) Its usually between washes, starting 3-4 days after washing, mostly on the front of my head, a few centimeters around my hairline. If I really stretch my washes, and my roots become oily, the flaking stops and it just itches, but that is the "wash it already"-itch.
2) I wash 1-2 times a week, usually every 6-7 days. I use a mild shampoo (Alverde Sensitive), and whatever conditioner I can find. I tried switching my routine around, tried everything for a few washes but nothing changed the flakes.I started getting this a few months ago, but i cant recall any huge change besides not using henna or hairdye anymore.
3) I am not sure, but i think the problem is not product related.
4) No, maybe one conditioner, dimenthicone.
5) Sometimes, but it makes me have to wash my hair too often, so no.
6) I don't think I ever did, not really sure how to do it. Any advice? I don't speak the language of the country I live in, but I have never seen any claryfing product available.
7) What is chelating? The water is not hard.
8) To some metals, yes, probably nickel, but I never really got it tested, its just based on earring-problems.
9) No. Sometimes on my legs and soles, but its not super dry.

Again, there's a few things that it could be. Depending on what kind of flakiness you have going, it could be plain old fungal dandruff. It could also simply be dry skin, not washing enough, or a vitamin issue - lack of vitamins B and D can affect sebum production, resulting in flaky skin that's a good next for yeast and which gets irritated easily. If it's dry skin, it would ordinarily be all over the scalp, while the fungi responsible for dandruff is more likely to start in one spot and spread over time. In terms of washing enough, my scalp has very little oil production, yet I have to wash my hair once a week, not due to sebum, but because otherwise fluff, dust, particles from car fumes or other people's perfumes, or just general city pollution get into my hair and it makes me itch and flake like mad because my skin gets irritated.