PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with classic hair - should I cut?

Teazel
March 20th, 2008, 04:49 AM
For all of May I'm going to be travelling in Europe with my mother. And I'm worrying about my hair: would it be less hassle if I cut it to waistlength, or even BSL?

It's in good condition, has a few splits but nothing out of the ordinary. However, at this length I have to have it confined in a bun or a plait all the time, or it just tangles. Using 'cones helps, but I still have to detangle after I've worn it down, and damage is inevitable. I usually do scalp washes, which is easy and quick, but again, detangling afterwards is time-consuming and damaging if I have to do it quickly.

Also, I've seen a few photos of myself recently, and I don't like the look of my face when my hair's all dragged back. It's much better when softened and framed by loose hair... especially now that silver's mostly taken over up there. In photos, all I see is a blob of pale face blending into a thin rim of equally pale hair.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has travelling tips for me, or advice. I've been dreaming of a cut for some time now... maybe even layers. Maybe even covering up those silvers! :bigeyes: Maybe this is the time to do it.

Snowblood
March 20th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Please donīt cut your hair that short!! Itīs so beautiful and I think you can easily put it up or wear it braided while travelling. I donīt understand your problem.. Europe is in deed beautiful and Iīm sure there is no danger for your hair. ;)
But if you really want to cut.. please think about it for a few weeks. BSL and layers are decisions which are very grave in your case!

Mi-chan
March 20th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Hmm, it's not like we europeans are going to try and cut your hair, you know? ;)
So there's no need to cut it, really. Just keep it braided or in a bun.

If you really don't like the look of your face with your hair all tied back, maybe you should consider bangs? I dunno.

Hugs, Mi-chan

Mitzy
March 20th, 2008, 05:16 AM
My hair is no where near as long as yours, I am only approaching BSL. But...but...but. I was having some of the same issues due to work and it being so fricking hot here in Australia and my doctor telling me to get back to exercising for my back. My hair is really thick and coarse and was getting close to all one length, except for my fringe, which was down to my nose. I just got back from the salon and I have layers, a long blended side swept fringe and some highlights. I love it and will probably keep the layers. I am loving the length, which I kept, but I am sure I have the patience to get it all one length and all natural and all. I am woefully un-patient! I am not much good at advice, but I guess it depends on what type of traveling you will be doing and how much bother you want to put up with. Are you going to be staying in luxury hotels where taking care of yourself is easier or staying in hostels and such? Will layers make it easier or will you totally lose the ability to tie it back and forget it?

Teazel
March 20th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Snowblood and Mi-chan - no no, I'm not scared that something terrible will happen. ;) I'm just concerned that caring for my hair at this length will be too much trouble while travelling; having to take time to detangle, for instance. It's not exactly something I can do while on a train or plane - I need lots of arm-room! And I don't think my fellow passengers would appreciate my shed hairs all over them. :D

And I'd like to look nice, you know. :o

Mitzy - We'll mostly be staying in B&Bs, so taking care of myself shouldn't be too difficult. *touches wood* And if I got layers, I'd try to be sure the shortest ones were still long enough to be tied back.

Just_Isabel
March 20th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I don't understand what coming to Europe has to do with cutting your hair? We're quite civilized here. :D

Not being happy with one's hair and wanting a change - that I understand. But I can't imagine that a trip is the real/main reason why you're considering cutting your hair. ;)

ETA: we cross posted.
I don't think you'd be thinking about cutting because of this trip if you didn't have other reasons (which you mentioned in your OP already), and if you want to keep your length, I'm sure there are ways to solve the problems that come with the traveling. :agree:

Sarahmoon
March 20th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I agree with Mi-chan. If you really don't like the look of pulled back hair and you thought a lot about it already, maybe bangs would be a good solution.
And if you really want to cut I would go for hip length first. From classic to bra strap is a lot!

sapphire-o
March 20th, 2008, 05:29 AM
If you really want a change, don't cut it too short all at once. Try tailbone first and see how you like it. My hair is tailbone now and I still wear it down a lot without problems. A few inches might make you feel like enough difference. :)

Ursula
March 20th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I see two issues here, for you. One is the issue of convenience while traveling, the other is the issue of how you look with your hair up, which is an issue wherever you are.

Travel:

At the longer length, it is probably less big a deal if you miss washing your hair for a couple of days, while the shorter hair would probably need to be washed every day to look good.

With shorter hair, you loose the option of buns and braids, which, if the weather is hot, means that you'll always have your hair hanging down around your neck.

In general, when I've traveled with a group, that being able to put my hair up is far more convenient than what I see shorter-haired women having to deal with.

General looks:

If you aren't happy with how your hair looks when worn conveniently at this length, or if you find maintanence (washing, detangling) to be a problem at home, then I suggest the usual two-week rule when contemplating a cut, and also doing the cut in stages, a few inches at a time (use Feye's method, to keep costs down) with weeks between each trim, so you can find the length that is right for you. There is a lot of different options between where you are now and where you are thinking to cut to, I expect.

(It would help if you put your length and hairtype into your member info form, so we could see what it is - the info didn't migrate to the new boards.)

wendyg
March 20th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Have you tried keeping it braided while doing a scalp wash? Wouoldn't that limit the amount of detangling you have to do?

wg

Xandergrammy
March 20th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I really, really love your hair and would hate to see you cut, but that's pretty selfish of me, isn't it? I think you should do whatever pleases you. I'd hate for you to cut and then regret it.

Teazel
March 20th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks for all your replies. :flower:

True, I wouldn't be considering cutting now if I hadn't already been tempted. There are a variety of reasons. Cutting a bit at a time isn't a bad idea! I remember tailbone; quite user-friendly.

Ursula, I've just re-entered my length/type statistics, as near as I remember them. And I've put a photo in my profile.

It's 1:15am and I'd better get some sleep now! :sleep:

Teazel
March 20th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I really, really love your hair and would hate to see you cut, but that's pretty selfish of me, isn't it? I think you should do whatever pleases you. I'd hate for you to cut and then regret it.

Aww, Xandergrammy. Thank you. :love:

lora410
March 20th, 2008, 06:38 AM
You said you so scalp washes only? you said cones help so why not just cone the whole length and save yourself the agony of de-tangling if cones do your hair well,or do your scalp wash and do a light oiling on the length to make it easier to de-tangle. If you really want to cut please don't go past waist.

Kittee
March 20th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Well I did a trim myself last night using the self trim method and I'm currently going through a regret phase lol. The reason I trimmed mine was because I have about a foot of bleach damage to my ends and they were getting horribly snaggly and straw like. I miss my hair lol. I'm such a baby.

So please consider that before you cut. =)

Ria
March 20th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I would say if you have been wanting to make a change the trip is as good of a time as any although I would second the going slowly advice.

On the other hand my hair is similar to yours in type, if a bit more wavy, and at waist I would not travel with it loose. Too much snagging and tangles for me, especially in trains, buses and tourist hot spots which can get quite crowded at times, so I don't think that cutting to waist would necessarily make the difference you are hoping for. BSL would be far better for wearing down easily (in my opinion) but that is a huge chop so cutting a few inches at a time is great advice.

If you just need a visual change and more color around your face (you mentioned being tired of the gray) maybe a temporary rinse would help you out for now. Either way, have fun on your trip!

EbonyCurls
March 20th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I would trim a few inches off of it, it may make you feel better psychologically. It sounds like you just want a change ( I got this from you mentioning a different shape, length, color etc.). Shape up the ends at mid-way b/t waist and classic (you might regret cutting it any more) and getting *just* frace-framing layers (as opposed to all-around layers). Of course this is just my opinion after looking at your hair. Oh, and another opinion...don't touch the color/gray lol. I think that pewter color is absolutely stunning.

I think it also comes down to just wanting to look nice and new on vacation..I would too! spending a month in Europe! do what is ultimately going to make you feel confident and happy while you're experiencing this time. Good luck.

eta: what I'm thinking of style-wise would be OleGrayMare's style/length, which her long face/body framing different lengths. I think that looks gorgeous on wavy, long, gray hair.

morningstar
March 20th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I cut some face framing layers just around my face. That softened my look. I think using henna on my hair was a good choice for me. I was not ready for gray hair although I love and admire it on others. Perhaps a color would give you a lift. Have you colored before and do you think you would want to maintain roots. That is a lot of work. It is important to look good for esteem and also easy styles are important although what could be easier than a braid or an updo? Good luck in what ever you decide.

Carolyn
March 20th, 2008, 08:00 AM
IMO bangs and layers are nothing but a giant PITA. BSL also requires much more washing and styling than waist or below. Do you want to deal with all that on a trip? Braids and buns seem like the ideal solution to not having to wash and fool with your hair while you are traveling. Baby steps are always safer then thinking of a change. Remember you can always cut more and you can't glue the cut hair back on. Regrets suck big time. Perhaps you could cut a few inches off now and see? Go slow with it.

spidermom
March 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Coloring your hair is a big commitment. Besides, your natural colors are beautiful; I don't think you can improve upon them. Try a temporary color that comes out in 6-8 shampoos before/instead of taking the leap into permanent color and root upkeep.

When I saw a picture of how I looked with all my hair scalped back from my face, I got some face-framing fringe, and I love it. It expands my style possibilities so much, and when I need it back and out of the way, it's long enough that I can easily braid or clip it back.

If you really need a change, though -- DO IT/EMBRACE IT. Then try not to look back with regret; that's such a waste of emotional energy.

Shell
March 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I see two issues here, for you. One is the issue of convenience while traveling, the other is the issue of how you look with your hair up, which is an issue wherever you are.

Travel:

At the longer length, it is probably less big a deal if you miss washing your hair for a couple of days, while the shorter hair would probably need to be washed every day to look good.

With shorter hair, you loose the option of buns and braids, which, if the weather is hot, means that you'll always have your hair hanging down around your neck.

In general, when I've traveled with a group, that being able to put my hair up is far more convenient than what I see shorter-haired women having to deal with.

General looks:

If you aren't happy with how your hair looks when worn conveniently at this length, or if you find maintanence (washing, detangling) to be a problem at home, then I suggest the usual two-week rule when contemplating a cut, and also doing the cut in stages, a few inches at a time (use Feye's method, to keep costs down) with weeks between each trim, so you can find the length that is right for you. There is a lot of different options between where you are now and where you are thinking to cut to, I expect.

(It would help if you put your length and hairtype into your member info form, so we could see what it is - the info didn't migrate to the new boards.)

What Ursula said!

But really, I think it'd be much more of a hassle to have to style your hair daily than to detangle and put it up. Maybe you just need to trim back to tailbone to get rid of old ends, and that would help with the tangles? Maybe just a few shorter locks of hair around your face would help with the look of your updos? I don't know, I really wouldn't cut it for a trip, especially to a civilized place like Europe :wink: I thought you were going trekking in Nepal or to an African safari or something that would demand that you rough it a bit, forgo showers, sleep outside, you know.

Delenn
March 20th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I always thought pulling my hair back in a bun was too harsh, too, so I understand where you're coming from. I cut a few wispy bangs around my face so it just looked like happy little flyaway bits to soften the hairline a bit. They do their own thing, require no styling, do not interfere with updos or with my hair being down.

Blueglass
March 20th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I would suggest face framing layers also. I'm a fan of you color, but if you really don't like it you could get a temporary raise and see if you like it. I use Morrocco method henna, and for some reason it doesn't stick to my silvers, but it warms up the rest of my hair. However always test strand. It comes in a variety of colors, shades of brown and even Marigold blond which is yellow. I personally have always liked waist lenght, if you don't like it it is easier to go longer or shorter.

Ursula
March 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I'd be cautious about layers. One of the nice things about hair in your length/style is that when it goes up, you can put it all up, and it all stays put. It may not look the best on every occasion in your eyes, but there are a lot of times when one is more concerned about convenience than looks.

If you want to soften your look, perhaps you could try leaving a couple of locks from around your face out when you make your bun? Then bring them back gently, and pin them up, letting them flow a bit, and perhaps giving a bit of a twist to them. This could soften the look from the front, while still letting everything be well-anchored in back.

physicschick
March 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I just went on a trip and roomed with someone who has short hair (not quite shoulder length). Like me, she is also a physicist and isn't the sort of person who looks extremely coiffed and styled all the time. Still, she showed up with her curling iron, and in addition to washing her hair every night, she spent 30 minutes styling it each morning. I just did a quick detangle each morning (or skipped it if I was in a hurry) and threw my hair into a bun or braid. Classic length seems to be much easier than short length. :) However, if you're having a lot of trouble with tangles, trimming an inch or two might help.

So please don't cut your hair just for the trip. On the other hand, if you want shorter hair for other reasons, that's a different issue.

maskedrose
March 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I'm just going to say that I agree with most of what everyone else has already said. I love your color though, so I would be sad to see that go :( Your avatar is absolutely gorgeous! If you want a change, please consider just going to waist. I'm at BSL now, and let me tell you - styles are still very difficult! Especially when you are used to being able to do a myriad of styles, I would assume that BSL would take some getting used to again. I would think that longer hair would actually be easier to travel with. I'm going to Ireland for a month in June, so I can kind of see where you are coming from. However, if you are staying in B&B's rather than hostels (like me), I would think that taking care of waist length shouldn't be a problem.

LifeisAdventure
March 20th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Teazel, I completely understand your travel concerns since I do a LOT of traveling myself -- crowded trains, strange cabs, backpacks, unpredictable weather (do I need a coat? umbrella? tank top? chap stick? sunscreen? moisturizer? all of them?), windy cliffs, tramping around old buildings, falling asleep on planes... there's a lot of hazards to your hair, and a lot of inconveniences that your hair can cause. E.g., I am terrible at braids so I usually keep my hair up with sticks, but that's simply not comfortable on a long flight, especially when you expect to nod off.

A trim to tailbone or hip length might help avoid some of those problems, but if you're really proficient at and comfortable with braiding, even classic could be kept up well. On the other hand, if you're not happy with it now, take some time to think on that decision and if it's still the same, go in the spirit of your trip -- be free, adventurous, and beautiful. I must say though that I DO love the silver coming in, even though I totally understand why you may not love it so much. Anywhoo, best of luck and please bring back pics of your trip to share! :)

spidermom
March 20th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I traveled around Italy by train one winter. My hair was BSL, and I kept it braided most of the time. You can do that at classic. I never had occasion to have to comb out tangles on the train or anywhere around other people, I did that in my room. Plus they do have restrooms on those trains.

However, if you need a fun new look for your fun new trip - get one. I see people talk about regret all the time like it's some huge burden, but I've never seen it that way. You might miss the length. You might decide that you like the old look better than the new look. But hair grows - you can get the old look back (most probably). At least you will have found out for sure. A lot of times, our biggest regrets are about the things that we wanted to do but didn't.

harpgal
March 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
It's so nice to "see" you again, Teazel!

I travel a lot with thigh length hair and it really is easy. The trick is to prevent tangles in the first place. I comb out, braid, and put it into an updo for the day. Then I simply let the braid down at night for sleeping. You mentioned that you can scalp wash, so that is going to be "a piece of cake" for you.

As far as not liking it pulled back, I don't like a really severe look on myself either. After I have it put up, I take both hands, place them on either side of my head and gently move them forward. It seems to soften things up and stops any pulling on my hairline.

If you are ready for some kind of change, just go for it. Hair always grows back. Just be sure you give it some thought before you actually do the deed.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy! :)

HairColoredHair
March 20th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Whenever I travel my hair is in braids, usually double or heidi. :)

Laululintu
March 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I normally travel with my hair braided. It helps reduce the tangling, keeps it from getting into too much mischief and unless I braid it tightly, I can get the front to frame my face a bit (I normally have a centre-ish part). Also, I find that braids are far more comfortable when sitting against a headrest than updos are.

Beatnik Guy
March 20th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I can confirm that travel and long hair do mix very well. I've been all sorts of places and it's never been an issue.

aprilmay
March 20th, 2008, 04:17 PM
If you feel you need to cut it take little steps! I had a trim over a year ago that ended up taking 6 inches off and I mourned the loss of my hair until it grew back out. LOL

Islandgrrl
March 20th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I cut my knee-length hair off in stages, trying to find a "convenient" length and make things easier on myself. I discovered that the longer it is, the easier it is. Even traveling. Horrible regret. Just horrible.

If you're going to cut your hair, do it because you want shorter hair. Not because it'll perhaps be easier or more convenient. And do it in small stages - at each stage really ask yourself, "Is this better? Is this what I want?"

Whatever you choose to do, do it to be happy with your hair.

Missy
March 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Your hair is beautiful. I felt the same as you, my hair was near classic and I wore it up all the time and I was tired of pulling my hair back. So after thinking about it for a long time I had 5 1/2 inches taken off bringing me to tailbone and had light layering in the front. It's been a week since my cut and I love love love it. It's still long but now I can wear it down and don't get caught on things. And my hair feels so much better. I'm sure you'll make the right decision, good luck!!!!

prosperina
March 20th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I've detangled my hair on not crowded trains. No one cares or minds. And if you have a compartment with say just you and your Mom, you can do that there and no one would even see. The bathrooms are too icky for my taste, so if I need to detangle on the train, I do. Otherwise, braids are a must.

snowbird
March 20th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Wow- your hair is GORGEOUS!

I understand not wanting it pulled back all the time, perhaps a solution is finding updos that are softer- such as a gibson girl tuck, crown braid, or even twisting the sides loosely before bunning?

Have fun travelling!

Teazel
March 20th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Your hair is beautiful. I felt the same as you, my hair was near classic and I wore it up all the time and I was tired of pulling my hair back. So after thinking about it for a long time I had 5 1/2 inches taken off bringing me to tailbone and had light layering in the front. It's been a week since my cut and I love love love it. It's still long but now I can wear it down and don't get caught on things. And my hair feels so much better. I'm sure you'll make the right decision, good luck!!!!

Missy, I would be foolish indeed if I made the wrong decision after all the great advice I've been given. :) Your solution sounds very much like what I'm leaning towards now: a few inches off, and maybe some shaping at the front.

Thank you for all the replies, everyone - I'm sorry there are too many for me to reply to individually, but I've read them all and have thought about them.

Have you tried keeping it braided while doing a scalp wash? Wouoldn't that limit the amount of detangling you have to do?

wg

Yes, it's always braided while I do a scalp wash, but there is always a bit of a snarl to sort out around my head, however much I try to avoid it. Le sigh.

EbonyCurls, thank you in particular for your post. :flower: I'm relieved to see that most of you understand my concerns. I will check out OleGrayMare's style!

morningstar and spidermom, I've used a temporary dye in the past, but eventually the greys became too numerous to cover, so if I dyed now it would have to be permanent. Indeed, the thought of maintaining that is quite a deterrent - let alone the problem of growing it out whenever I decided to stop!

I don't know, I really wouldn't cut it for a trip, especially to a civilized place like Europe :wink: I thought you were going trekking in Nepal or to an African safari or something that would demand that you rough it a bit, forgo showers, sleep outside, you know.

Actually, I've just done such a trip, walking with a pack on my back for 4 days in the mountains without the luxury of showers etc. :grin: I coated my length with coconut oil before we left, and put it up in Harpgal's pinless braided bun during the day, and just let the braid down for sleeping. In the mornings I'd comb it out (easy because of the oil), braid it and put it up again, and I was good to go. If the wispies annoyed me, I'd slick them back with water from pure alpine streams. So my hair as it is at present is perfectly convenient for such a trip. But what's convenient in the wilds is not necessarily the best look I could have while visiting the sophisticated cities of Europe....

Teazel, I completely understand your travel concerns since I do a LOT of traveling myself -- crowded trains, strange cabs, backpacks, unpredictable weather (do I need a coat? umbrella? tank top? chap stick? sunscreen? moisturizer? all of them?), windy cliffs, tramping around old buildings, falling asleep on planes... there's a lot of hazards to your hair, and a lot of inconveniences that your hair can cause. E.g., I am terrible at braids so I usually keep my hair up with sticks, but that's simply not comfortable on a long flight, especially when you expect to nod off.

A trim to tailbone or hip length might help avoid some of those problems, but if you're really proficient at and comfortable with braiding, even classic could be kept up well. On the other hand, if you're not happy with it now, take some time to think on that decision and if it's still the same, go in the spirit of your trip -- be free, adventurous, and beautiful. I must say though that I DO love the silver coming in, even though I totally understand why you may not love it so much. Anywhoo, best of luck and please bring back pics of your trip to share! :)

Wind! Falling asleep on planes! Adding and removing clothing! Exactly - you end up with a fuzzy braid and scarecrow wispies. Does anyone have a way of dealing with that, without having to completely re-do your do? I'm okay with braiding, by the way, as I've been doing it since childhood. :) And I think they're definitely more comfortable than a bun when travelling. I just hate the way they fuzz with all that friction.

A lot of times, our biggest regrets are about the things that we wanted to do but didn't.

Oh, absolutely. :agree:

I travel a lot with thigh length hair and it really is easy. The trick is to prevent tangles in the first place. I comb out, braid, and put it into an updo for the day. Then I simply let the braid down at night for sleeping. You mentioned that you can scalp wash, so that is going to be "a piece of cake" for you.

As far as not liking it pulled back, I don't like a really severe look on myself either. After I have it put up, I take both hands, place them on either side of my head and gently move them forward. It seems to soften things up and stops any pulling on my hairline.

If you are ready for some kind of change, just go for it. Hair always grows back. Just be sure you give it some thought before you actually do the deed.

It's lovely to "see" you again, too, Harpgal! I've missed LHC and wise people like yourself. And your post is very encouraging. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Scarla/emoticons/hugs.gif

ETA: Harpgal, your hair is thigh length now?? Ooh! :thud:

kissedbyfyre
March 20th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I don't know if I may help but I can tell you what my experiences have been.

I spent all of 2007 traveling the US. I went from the west coast all the way to the east coast with hair that eventually ended up being a few inches beyond classic length.

My main complaint was that when I left it down, it attracted FAR too much attention. It was in 2007 that keeping it up or at least braided back became habit. Up or braided back I had no complaints what so ever. Attention was kept at a min, aside from the occasional "Oh my GOD your hair is long" paired with the typical questions. Otherwise... I honestly forgot about it and was shocked when I realized just how long it was.

Clearly because you'll be traveling Europe (you lucky woman!) the attitudes will be different. I honestly can't give you any better advice than you've already gotten here. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your journeys!! Traveling is a wonderful thing. Your hair is stunning so my advice would be to not even get near a pair of scissors, but you need to do what you feel is best.

Moiraine
March 21st, 2008, 03:44 PM
I don't know if I have anything to add, everybody above has given excellent advice. The 2 week rule is the best I've seen for long hair because it keeps a person from cutting in an emotional moment and regretting it after the fact (I've done this.) I would just get out a piece of paper, draw a line down the middle and put "pro's" on the left and "Con's" on the right and get it out on paper and then after you are done, maybe it might be clearer to you which way you should go. After all, it's your hair and you can do what you please with it, but I think all of us here are trying to say is, before you cut make sure that it's what you really want. Whatever you decide, I am so very envious of you because I always wanted to visit The Continent and from where I stand now, I don't think I will ever be able to! Take lots of pictures and share some with us!!!!!:)

Teacherbear
March 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
I hope you enjoy your travels with your long hair or with shorter hair.

I don't have any advice for you, but I want to share my own experience with something similar.

Several years ago I'd grown my hair to finger tip length. Then I cut it to BSL. It eventually regrew to tail bone. Then came last December. I'd been thinking about cutting back to BSL to allow my hair to thicken up and not have thin scraggly ends (which I had prior to the big cut). My hair was thicker, but still too thin to braid every night.

I was also going to have a medical procedure done in December. I figured it was a good time to cut my hair (so I didn't have to worry about it while in the hospital and at home recovering) AND I'd already been considering the cut. So, in early December I cut back to the bottom of BSL. I've now decided that I like my hair best between BSL and hip. I'll be keeping it there for a while. If my ends thicken up in the next couple of years, I might make another attempt at finger tip length.

Ok, I lied, I DO have some advice. If you know your hair tangles easily, then make sure you take your best detangling tool and conditioner (or whatever it is that makes it easier for you to care for your hair). And I recommend, even if you cut it back a bit, that you wear it up or plaited/braided most of the time. That'll be important when you are in crowds or outside in the wind.

Again, I hope you enjoy your travels!

jojo
March 21st, 2008, 11:08 PM
honey i dont know if you are aware but there are laws in Europe which state long haired lovelies visiting must not cut extremely long hair at least 6 months prior to traveling, okay i lied!

As the others have said put the 2 week rule into action before making any big decisions, but at the end of the day its your hair and you need to feel happy about yourself, if waist or BSL is what fits in with you right now, then go for it, but i would advise to do it in stages not all in one go if you do want to cut. As for colouring, again this is entirely up to you but in my opinion your hair colour is fantastic and unique to you, plus its a massive commitment as SM said, im so glad i dont have the hassle of dying every few months.

But more than anything, have a great trip, will you be visiting the UK at all? you must try our fish and chips if you do, out of the paper of course.

Have fun! xx

intothemist1999
March 22nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
Also, I've seen a few photos of myself recently, and I don't like the look of my face when my hair's all dragged back. It's much better when softened and framed by loose hair... .

For myself, too! I would consider a loosely pulled back braid. Then you can let the braid hang or double it over and tie with a ribbon (?)

I've angled the hair around my face so that when I pull it back in a bun or pony, I still have loose hair around my face. It was a home job so maybe isn 't the best looking, but it accomplishes what *I* want. If you have a stylist you TRUST you could ask him/her to cut in angles or layers in the front.

blue_nant
March 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
... As far as not liking it pulled back, I don't like a really severe look on myself either. After I have it put up, I take both hands, place them on either side of my head and gently move them forward. It seems to soften things up and stops any pulling on my hairline. ...

I'm with harpgal on this. I don't think I look good from the front with a bun, but remember that most people are *not* looking at you from the front.

Mirrors only give us one view of what we look like. How about looking at yourself in a tri-pane mirror, like stores have? Or have someone take pics of you from all kinds of different angles? You might find you don't really have a "severe" look at all ... like the mean library lady (just joking; library worker here).

I have also thought about bangs, to soften the look from the front, but where I live is very humid, and everything *everything* sticks to you in summer weather, and bangs most of all, so I gave up on that one almost before I thought of it.

Please think about it ... but yes, cuts are not irreversible! ... I think you'll look great anyway, and you'll have a great trip. And your hair won't be that big of a deal. If it gets less care for awhile, it'll be okay.

WritingPrincess
March 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
I don't know if this is something you might want to consider or not. You might think about mini braids. I'm able to put 20 braids in in 2 hours, and they can stay in for several days. They take about 30 minutes to take out. It would take you longer, of course. The smaller they are, the longer they will take, but also the longer they will stay in. I wore my hair in mini braids recently for several days, and I could still braid and bun my hair like normal, it just didn't tangle when "down". Just an idea. Also, with the braids in, I find that I don't need to wash as often, because my scalp is not being stimulated nearly as much.

tiny_teesha
March 23rd, 2008, 05:33 AM
I love your hair colour! Perhaps cut in some little findly bits on either side of your face so they hang loose when you have your hair in an updo, or bangs (face framing layers).
I think that longer hair would be easier. Perhaps cut it to TB or Waist. Plus if your hair is tied up you won't be spreading shed hairs on near by people!