PDA

View Full Version : Chopped my hair

BambooBeauty
October 1st, 2014, 09:59 PM
After lots of damage this summer I decided to cut my hair to a just above shoulder length bob. I am hoping to grow my hair back healthy and strong. I would love to get to waist but I feel like that is never going to happen. What are some of your top tips to help this happen, what are some protective hairstyles for this length? and what things should I start doing now?

My routine is wash every other day with sls shampoo and condition with a coney conditioner. I usually use herbal essences. I use a leave in argan oil from Josie Maran.

My hair is coloured and I have lot of bleach underneath. I am not going to be colouring anymore as I'm trying to grow my colour out.

Any tips and suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

skeletonous
October 1st, 2014, 10:29 PM
Kudos for being so brave :) I'm glad you cut away the damage!

I would suggest doing weekly coconut oil (or another oil) treatments on a wash day before you shampoo. I also suggest wrapping your hair up in a shower cap or a plastic bag after you put the oil in, and leave it in for at least half an hour. Let me know if you're interested in coconut oil, I can give you a few tips if you're not familiar with it. :o

I would also suggest putting your hair up with a claw clip if you can during the day, or try doing a french twist with a hair stick if you can.

As far as sleeping, silk pillowcases are great (though some dislike the feel, I personally love it) and silk sleep caps are also great if you don't mind wearing them. I got my silk cap in the ethnic hair section at a local store, though the more silky part is on the outside so I just wear it inside out. :p

Also if you're interested in SLS free and non-coney shampoos and conditioners (respectively), I personally recommend the Organix line of shampoos and V05 conditioners.

Khristopher
October 2nd, 2014, 04:32 AM
skeletonous already gave you great advice. I would switch to a non-coney conditioner if you're going to oil. Put your hair in an up-do at the beginning of the day and forget about it until sleep time. Being neglect is one of the best things you can do to your hair!
Also watch for any change in your hair. Keep an eye in the balance between moisture and protein (bleached and colored hair often needs more protein threatments than virgin hair).
I hope that helps and good luck growing your mane!

lapushka
October 2nd, 2014, 07:35 AM
I think switching to no-cones in your conditioner is not the smartest move, if there's left-over bleach damage. It's going to be a rough detangling road without silicones.

slynr
October 2nd, 2014, 07:37 AM
Protein has helped my damaged ends tremendously. Just be sure not to overdo it.

brickworld13
October 2nd, 2014, 07:52 AM
With dye damage, you are probably going to want to still use cones in some way. I had to use a coney serum for a couple of years because of grabby ends that I didn't want to cut.

You can also do double Dutch or double French braids at that length. You might even be able to do a single braid. The more styles you learn now while it's short, the easier it will be later. I didn't learn very many, and now in the abyss between tailbone and classic, I have awful braid and bun skills.

UniqueWabbit
October 2nd, 2014, 07:55 AM
If you like sls and cones, I suggest Paul Mitchell's super strength line of hair products. Damaged hair responds really well and fast to this line. And your new growth will be strong too. And eat healthy. No processed foods. Whole grains and lots of vitamin C foods. Peanut butter is great for growing strong hair. Best of luck!

kganihanova
October 2nd, 2014, 09:44 AM
Do a light oiling before every wash. Not too much oil but enough to make it look like you put shine serum on! I find this benefits my hair greatly. Try olive oil :)