PDA

View Full Version : Growing out layers support thread

kelseyxface
October 1st, 2014, 08:22 PM
Forgive me if this has already been posted, but I didn't see a current formal thread for this. (:

Growing out layers: who else is struggling?! Currently my bottom layers are down to my collar bone but my top layers end at just the tip of my ear lobe. :cry: It makes my hair look a lot more damaged and thin than it already is. Putting my hair in a ponytail depresses me because I know my hair used to be thicker than this. Braids and buns are a total nightmare, too, because all the layers just poke out at random points. :justy: I'm too stubborn to do a big chop to even out the layers. I hope my hair gets better soon, the whole thing just depresses me. :-(

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 08:26 PM
I look the same! I can't wear a pony tail without wearing a headband and there's always hair that never stays tied up..I so hope that it grows out fast..:pray:

tokugawa.miyako
October 1st, 2014, 08:29 PM
I was just thinking about this today! I hate the fact that my braids always have shorter parts that kind of stick out where my layers are. They need to just... not.

kelseyxface
October 1st, 2014, 08:38 PM
Speaking of wearing head bands to pull back hair that doesn't fit into your pony tail - baby hairs. The moment you start taking care of your hair they sprout up everywhere and it's like OH YAY! Until they're an inch to two inches long and you can't get them to stay down for the life of you! Or when your hair is down and they just stand up straight, flapping around in the wind making you look like a crazy person. ):

Mitzy
October 2nd, 2014, 12:45 AM
I am sure there used to be a thread on this, but I am happy to join you all in this one!

My hair is just at collar length in back but I have bangs, which I am growing out, and some weird layer thing right below my ears in front. To make it even worse, those layers are different lengths and thicknesses on either side! Yuck! I can get most of my hair into an updo, but sometimes those weird layers fall out so I have a huge bobby pin collection. I almost have my bangs long enough to be able to french braid them off my face. I have tried and tried to grow out my bangs and never have had any luck, but I am pretty determined this time! I hate headbands because of my glasses.

Signing on for the long haul.

dogzdinner
October 2nd, 2014, 04:51 AM
Layers are annoying at any length. My hair is just below waist now but the bottom 6ins are layered (Im growing out from a mega short cut). Im currently sporting an english braid that has so much hair sticking out the sides it looks like Ive slept in it for a week, despite only doing it this morning!

hannabiss
October 2nd, 2014, 05:24 AM
My hair looks like $#!+ growing out from shaved bald. And it's just a mess a year and 3 months later. I'm not going to cut even though I'd like to. Gonna cut an inch at new years. Then let it ride out 2015.

lilelf
October 2nd, 2014, 06:39 AM
Yes!! I am in!! My layer back story : I decided to treat myself to a proper hair cut after ds was born. The hairdresser cut in insane layers. I was ticked when I got home and couldn't pull all my hair back. Loose bits are a calling card for little hair pulling fists. Been growing out for 8 months and they are only just past my ears!! Eck.

Rushli
October 2nd, 2014, 09:38 AM
Here is the layers- a place to complain (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351) thread.

I have waist length hair and my layers are in the BSL range. I am just now finding that the disc bun allows me to be able to put all my hair up and not have strange layers slide out. If I get it up right anyway. Braids still don't work well for me for long periods of time.

gustavonut
October 2nd, 2014, 10:19 AM
The problem with my hair is, I have to grow out layers AND bangs. Ugh...

kelseyxface
October 2nd, 2014, 06:18 PM
I am sure there used to be a thread on this, but I am happy to join you all in this one!

My hair is just at collar length in back but I have bangs, which I am growing out, and some weird layer thing right below my ears in front. To make it even worse, those layers are different lengths and thicknesses on either side! Yuck! I can get most of my hair into an updo, but sometimes those weird layers fall out so I have a huge bobby pin collection. I almost have my bangs long enough to be able to french braid them off my face. I have tried and tried to grow out my bangs and never have had any luck, but I am pretty determined this time! I hate headbands because of my glasses.

Signing on for the long haul.
ugh same!!! I was doing a microtrim last night and realized the right side of my head has top layers that go down to a centimeter or two below the tip of my ear, and my left side has layers in the same spot past my ear lobe. ): When I split my hair into two sections my left is considerably thicker and longer than the right. Putting it into a braid to sleep in at night is a nightmare because because I wake up in the morning and all the shorter top layers have fallen out.

ugh yes same. ): It's like you know once your bangs are grown out your hair will be thicker and less bleck looking. And to relate back to my original reply, my bangs naturally want to site on my left side as I grow them out - the side that's thicker and longer. It only exasperates the look of me having no hair on my right side. :-(

Little miss
October 3rd, 2014, 07:05 AM
Layers are annoying lol. My longest layer is almost down to my tail bone, the shortest one is right below my shoulder

Mitzy
October 3rd, 2014, 01:00 PM
I don't understand why my layers are the way they are. I am growing out from an angled bob, so in theory my hair should be longer in front and on the sides, not SHORTER. I guess the back must grow faster? I don't know. At least, except for my bangs, it's all long enough to go in a pony tail and sometimes, if I start when it's damp, I can even muster up a decent sock bun.
My bangs don't add much to my thickness as they are pretty thin. I have stupid thick coarse hair anyway, so I don't need my bangs for additional thickness. I might cut them again, though because I do like them, but my husband doesn't. I am indecisive.
I think I look better with them. And, it's coming on winter and my forehead gets cold.

tokugawa.miyako
October 3rd, 2014, 06:23 PM
I took this picture yesterday after reading this thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13619&d=1412382058

I hate this so much. :rant:

dancingpoet
October 3rd, 2014, 06:40 PM
I've almost grown my layers out... but there's still about a six inch difference between the shortest layer and the length. I had my hair in a loose braid and my brother commented that I was going for the "hay" look. :( The longest is at tailbone, and the shortest is around my elbows. The layers looked nice when I wasn't braiding my hair and I was still using heat on it... now they're just sort of... there... I just want a thick braid all the way down.

kelseyxface
October 3rd, 2014, 08:00 PM
I took this picture yesterday after reading this thread:

I hate this so much. :rant:

It's times like those I have the fleeting thought to just chop it all off to get rid of the problem. But then I know I'll just about die with short hair I can't put out of my face. Hair struggle so real ):

kelseyxface
October 3rd, 2014, 08:04 PM
I've almost grown my layers out... but there's still about a six inch difference between the shortest layer and the length. I had my hair in a loose braid and my brother commented that I was going for the "hay" look. :( The longest is at tailbone, and the shortest is around my elbows. The layers looked nice when I wasn't braiding my hair and I was still using heat on it... now they're just sort of... there... I just want a thick braid all the way down.

It's funny you mention that your hairs layers looked better with heat - I feel the exact same way about my hair! I just had the thought today, actually. I thought, "Jeez, were my layers really this sad and obvious before I started taking care of my hair? Am I doing something wrong for it to get worse?" And then I realized with heat you're manipulating the layers to turn in and look a certain way. When they air dry they do not dry/braid wave your hair looks the way it should, and since layers are just a trick of the eye to make your hair look a certain way, not manipulating them to keep up the illusion just makes it look like a toddler got a hold of some scissors and your hair.

tokugawa.miyako
October 4th, 2014, 08:58 PM
It's times like those I have the fleeting thought to just chop it all off to get rid of the problem. But then I know I'll just about die with short hair I can't put out of my face. Hair struggle so real ):

So real! Thankfully, the braid is behind my back so I can't glare at it all day. :p

heyitsmiriam
October 5th, 2014, 05:42 PM
The struggle is so real, ugh. My stylist about 6 months ago gave me very choppy layers because that was my first actual trim and cut in years. I used to despise trimming, but now I see how much I hate my gross splits. My layers are ALMOST fully grown out..but the ones in front near my face are still struggling to grow. It's nearly impossible to have a nice ponytail or a nice braid with all the little layers coming out from the back :( Alas, the time has come for me to chop off those gross splits and put in some longer layers, not nearly as choppy. Don't get me wrong -- I adore layers, but they're such a pain to grow out and replace!

I feel that "hay" look pain as well...my hair just does not agree with me if there is no heat!

NitaB
October 20th, 2014, 08:24 AM
My shortest layers don't quite reach my shoulder, and my longest one just barely grazes my bra strap, it's so incredibly frustrating! I've only ever had layered hair for about a year, I just don't know what to do with them. Currently, I use a lot of half-up dos

kelseyxface
October 20th, 2014, 10:08 AM
@NitaB same!! My layers are the same as yours and all over the place!

I've also very recently reached a growth point with the layers where my hair does not. look. good. down. at all. It's so disheartening. I've been wearing it up, and that just makes me even more sad because I have barely enough hair to even make good updos. I just have about an inch wide cinnabun with the bobby bins very obviously poking out, and some kind of head band to keep back the bangs that are still too short to reach into the bun.

The other frustrating thing about my layers is that I have far too much hair dedicated to my bangs, so my hair looks like it has even less hair than it already does. I can't wait until my bangs grow out. wahhh!

Clarkie
October 20th, 2014, 10:16 AM

Yes ^^this! My last haircut was in March. For whatever reason I thought it would be a good idea to get bangs...:wail: and the hairdresser decided to add some "face framing layers"
ARRRRRGHGHGH!!!
My longest layer is just past BSL, my face framing layers are now at collarbone and my bangs just reach my top lip.
Thank goodness for buns! I still have to pin my bangs back but I'm hoping that in a couple of months they will fit into a high bun.

Clarkie
October 20th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Speaking of wearing head bands to pull back hair that doesn't fit into your pony tail - baby hairs. The moment you start taking care of your hair they sprout up everywhere and it's like OH YAY! Until they're an inch to two inches long and you can't get them to stay down for the life of you! Or when your hair is down and they just stand up straight, flapping around in the wind making you look like a crazy person. ):

I think Madora recommends a drop of mineral oil (baby oil) to smooth down the flyaways. Maybe give that a try? :)

hennalonghair
October 20th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Hey Kelseyxface*
I really feel for you. At the moment I don't have any layers: just bangs but two years ago I went to a hairdresser/ stylist for an inch off my length and she decided to give herself permission to give me 6 to 8 inches of layers.*
So I ended up getting exactly what I didn't want because this hairstylist decided my hair would look better with layers. Meanwhile I just wanted to thicken my ends and she thinned them out disastrously. Even while writing this it still ticks me off and it is the last time I will ever let anyone near my air again.
All my braid dos had pieces sticking out and my ends just frizzed up big time. With my hair type I need my outer canopy to be the same length as the rest of my hair in order to protect the rest of the hair underneath which isn't as resilient.
I really feel for all of you who are going through this stage in your hair journey as it CAN be most annoying.
What I did was I kept my hair up and protected, deep conditioned my ends and gradually self trimmed the layers off. It took me just over a year but except for my bangs, my hair is all one length now.
For all those others going through this I strongly suggest learning to self trim. Just do a search at LHC and you'll find some threads showing (with pics ) and explaining in detail how to do this and you'll save yourself both money and regret. I think its called Faye's self trimming guide, but not sure. :shrug:
It does take a lot of patience but in the end you'll be more in control of your own hair growth.
Good luck to all of you

kelseyxface
October 20th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I think Madora recommends a drop of mineral oil (baby oil) to smooth down the flyaways. Maybe give that a try? :)

I thought I's read somewhere that mineral oil is bad for hair? I could be wrong, however.

kelseyxface
October 20th, 2014, 02:32 PM
@hennalonghair
yes I have been learning how to microtrim and it's helped me out a lot! I have noticed a huge difference in my hair. I usually microtrim every 2-3 weeks. I know that's a lot but my ends are pretty dead from bleach so I get split ends like no ones business right now. As much as it sucks that I'm not seeing a whole lot of growth because of this, I am noticing that my hair just looks better with the frequent trims and I can see my upper layers (slowly) coming down to meet up with my bottom layers.

lapushka
October 20th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I thought I's read somewhere that mineral oil is bad for hair? I could be wrong, however.

Nope, MO is not bad for hair, nor is it bad for skin.

Clarkie
October 20th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Hey Kelseyxface*
I really feel for you. At the moment I don't have any layers: just bangs but two years ago I went to a hairdresser/ stylist for an inch off my length and she decided to give herself permission to give me 6 to 8 inches of layers.*
So I ended up getting exactly what I didn't want because this hairstylist decided my hair would look better with layers. Meanwhile I just wanted to thicken my ends and she thinned them out disastrously. Even while writing this it still ticks me off and it is the last time I will ever let anyone near my air again.
All my braid dos had pieces sticking out and my ends just frizzed up big time. With my hair type I need my outer canopy to be the same length as the rest of my hair in order to protect the rest of the hair underneath which isn't as resilient.
I really feel for all of you who are going through this stage in your hair journey as it CAN be most annoying.
What I did was I kept my hair up and protected, deep conditioned my ends and gradually self trimmed the layers off. It took me just over a year but except for my bangs, my hair is all one length now.
For all those others going through this I strongly suggest learning to self trim. Just do a search at LHC and you'll find some threads showing (with pics ) and explaining in detail how to do this and you'll save yourself both money and regret. I think its called Faye's self trimming guide, but not sure. :shrug:
It does take a lot of patience but in the end you'll be more in control of your own hair growth.
Good luck to all of you

Thanks for the tips! It's always good when someone who has "been there" can offer some encouragement. :)

hennalonghair
October 20th, 2014, 04:56 PM
You got it Kelseyxface
You're welcome Clarkie, my pleasure :)

Voqque
October 20th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Oh man, I struggled with this. I fried my hair in 2012 and it literally snapped off to the root, so everything was uneven and I had to wear my hair up all the time. It has took me all this time to grow them out, when I had to cut my hair to my shoulders, because I went ahead and fried it all over again, it was all the same length. So hang in there, you'll get there in the end.

Spinder
October 20th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Years ago I was stupid and allowed a know-it-all hairdresser to talk me into getting layers, saying oh they'll look so much better, help frame your face, etc etc! I should have known better. :(

Have regretted it and been trying to grow them out ever since. They've always looked awful, because they cowlick at the top, or form waves in a way that does not mesh with the rest of my hair. It's been a long and hard process trying to fix it, but it is coming along, however slowly. :(

Spinder
October 20th, 2014, 08:17 PM
PS: Needless to say, I do not go to hairdressers anymore.

fiğrildi
October 21st, 2014, 04:37 AM
After a year, I think I have almost grown up all of my layers :D
But I'm still struggling with growing out a short lock of hair that I trimmed off to pixie (now it's almost shoulder length), where I used to have a dreadlock. So if it counts as a layer, I think I have 3 or 4 years until this lock of hair reaches the rest of the hemline.
Layers are a pain in the neck, fortunately now that I know how annoying they are, I'm not going to ever cut my hair this way again (I'm a self-trimmer now, so no hairdresser will try to cajole me!) :p

RachelRose
December 27th, 2014, 10:25 PM
I seen all the "trendy" girls hair amd was like yeah layer it this way (shows pictures) I didn't truly understand what that entailed :( list my thickness at the ends, looks strange growing out , and is so frustrating .

wilderwein
December 28th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Growww layers! GROWWW!!!!

kitcatsmeow
December 28th, 2014, 04:49 AM
Hey ladies just thought I would drop in and offer some words of support and encouragement! It's WORTH being patient. It took me about 3-4 years to grow out my layers (some pieces were just short broken stubs at the crown....yeah bad). Now my hair is all one length save for the very front pieces (bangs) which are still about 1 inch shorter than the rest. I'm so pleased and glad I was patient. I have never had such a beautiful straight hemline. No rat tails. No V's. Eventually I'll get the very front even but really more focused on growing now.

Stay the course it's worth it!!!

hollygraham43
December 28th, 2014, 09:11 AM
I'm with you ladies!! Had layers cut in almost 2 years ago and I'm still dealing with them. Shortest one is about mbl where as the rest of my hair is a hip. So of course I have little stick outters when I braid or bun it. I have thought about cutting back to that shortest layer, but quickly decided against that. It might be worth the loss of length to get a good even hemline.

Garnetgem
July 23rd, 2016, 10:48 AM
Thought i would bump this thread rather than start a new one on the same topic..

anyhow i am in the middle of growing out layers and finding it a pain from how i wear it to how i wash it..i had major shedding last year after some meds and am still finding new growth,i can even tie the new growth into a single new ponytail that's how bad it is in fact i could make several pony tails all over my head! some are 4 or 5 inches long so to have them catch up with my classic hair is going to take a long time i cannot condition those ends or it will get on my scalp a big no no for me..am sure many of you here are struggling with layers isn't it a pain!

Doom
July 23rd, 2016, 04:40 PM
Growing out layers here too... layers I had decided to get last April because I saw an emo hairstyle and wanted to try it. I even liked it, but then I saw another hairstyle, all one length, that still frames the face like drapes, so I decided to try that to know which one looks better on me.

Decoy24601
July 23rd, 2016, 04:47 PM
I'm growing out layers too. I never wanted them before, but after years of stylists asking "can I thin out your hair? Are you sure you don't want layers?" I caved. Layers make my hemline look uneven and clumpy because of the slight wave in my hair. My hair also does not look nearly as thick as it actually is anymore because of it, and I have a lot of damage from layers that weren't maintained, since regular trims don't cut any splits that aren't on the longest ends.

As soon as I get to my main goal of classic length I'm going to start microtrimming off layers. I'm thinking I'll keep a nice blunt hemline until my hair reaches just past mid-thigh, and then I'll cut it to a u-hemline.

school of fish
July 23rd, 2016, 09:48 PM
I can't wait to be rid of my layers! 2-1/2 years of microtrimming have re-established a blunt hemline but I have a face frame and an undercut yet to grow out. The undercut was actually strategic to help me grow out a scraggly nape section - knowing that my quality of growth is better with a blunt hemline than a fairytaled one (ends protect each) I deliberately cut the most uneven and tangly section at the nape in a blunt layer somewhere around APL last year. It's working - that undercut is now about 2-1/2" north of my waist and growing strong! The blunt hem on the undercut is really helping that hair to grow strong. But I'm feeling impatient for that layer to just hit the hemline already!!