PDA

View Full Version : What's a good brush for tender headed people/tangle-heads?

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 11:12 AM
Right now I have a conair boar bristle brush (not the best..) and a normal generic comb from Sally's.
Since I'm looking to grow my hair, I want a brush that won't rip my hair to shreds.
Any suggestions? And yes, I know about the wet brush, but I don't really want to spend 10 dollars on a brush.

Panth
October 1st, 2014, 11:20 AM
A wide-toothed comb is great for detangling, especially for straight-haired people. Plastic (seamless) ones are good if you like to comb your hair in the shower or when it's sopping wet. Wood or horn ones can't be used on wet hair but are great if you suffer from static as they won't cause more static.

The BBB (if your hair likes that sort of thing) can be used with the George Michael method - it should be used for distributing sebum down your length and smoothing hair prior to updos only, never for detangling. As you're straight-haired, you may get on well with that method.

Some people like the Tangle Teaser as an alternative to a wide-toothed comb.

Generally, brushes are not a good idea for detangling, especially ones with ball-tips to their bristles. They tend to rip through tangles, resulting in pulled-out hairs and broken hairs.

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 11:23 AM
A wide-toothed comb is great for detangling, especially for straight-haired people. Plastic (seamless) ones are good if you like to comb your hair in the shower or when it's sopping wet. Wood or horn ones can't be used on wet hair but are great if you suffer from static as they won't cause more static.

The BBB (if your hair likes that sort of thing) can be used with the George Michael method - it should be used for distributing sebum down your length and smoothing hair prior to updos only, never for detangling. As you're straight-haired, you may get on well with that method.

Some people like the Tangle Teaser as an alternative to a wide-toothed comb.

Generally, brushes are not a good idea for detangling, especially ones with ball-tips to their bristles. They tend to rip through tangles, resulting in pulled-out hairs and broken hairs.

Yeah I stopped using brushes a while ago, and I never brush/comb my hair when it's wet. I'm currently looking on amazon for a good boar bristle brush. Do you have a suggestion for a good brand?

brickworld13
October 1st, 2014, 11:25 AM
I have a Conair brush that is pretty stiff and one I picked up from Sally's that I'm not sure of the brand. The one from Sally's is really soft. It sounds more like you need a brush with softer bristles. The stiff ones can damage fragile hair.

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 11:28 AM
I have a Conair brush that is pretty stiff and one I picked up from Sally's that I'm not sure of the brand. The one from Sally's is really soft. It sounds more like you need a brush with softer bristles. The stiff ones can damage fragile hair.

Right now I'm just wanting to stick with combing my hair. And use a soft boar bristle brush before going to bed. But I just can't find the right one for my hair. The BBB I have now has a mixture of soft and hard bristles.

brickworld13
October 1st, 2014, 11:32 AM
They should have a variety of stiffnesses available at Sally's. Run the bristles over your hand and pick up a nice soft one. I know it was less than $10. Probably closer to $5.

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 11:34 AM
They should have a variety of stiffnesses available at Sally's. Run the bristles over your hand and pick up a nice soft one. I know it was less than $10. Probably closer to $5.

Yeah I don't know when I'll be at Sally's again though, probably not any time soon since I went there two days ago hah. I'm looking at amazon for a nice brush.

brickworld13
October 1st, 2014, 11:37 AM
Yeah I don't know when I'll be at Sally's again though, probably not any time soon since I went there two days ago hah. I'm looking at amazon for a nice brush.

Baby brushes are really soft, maybe too soft, but you never know unless you try one. Just make sure that it's not plastic or some form of synthetic. My grandma had to get one when she had brain surgery because it made her scalp very tender.

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 11:41 AM
Baby brushes are really soft, maybe too soft, but you never know unless you try one. Just make sure that it's not plastic or some form of synthetic. My grandma had to get one when she had brain surgery because it made her scalp very tender.

Hm, yeah I've thought about that. My nana used baby brushes because she only had short hair from chemo. I'll just keep looking!

Anje
October 1st, 2014, 11:56 AM
If you're willing to spend a little more, check Sally's for the Tangle Teezer. A lot of us swear by that one. (However, ignore the instructions that say you can start from the top. Like all combs and brushes, you'll do better if you do the last few inches, then add a few more and work your way up to the scalp.)

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 12:06 PM
If you're willing to spend a little more, check Sally's for the Tangle Teezer. A lot of us swear by that one. (However, ignore the instructions that say you can start from the top. Like all combs and brushes, you'll do better if you do the last few inches, then add a few more and work your way up to the scalp.)

Yeah I did see it at Sally's and I said to myself that it looked like a dog brush haha. I wonder if I could use it to replace my crappy BBB. I'll have to give the tangle teezer a try!

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 12:14 PM
If anyone can post a link of good boar bristle brushes/tangle teezers that you've bought on amazon please do so! I'm currently looking for one on amazon right now.

Panth
October 1st, 2014, 12:47 PM
You'd want to ask Madora about BBBs. She is the expert! You could look on the "George Michael Philosophy" thread to see if she's already posted a list of good BBBs.

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 01:01 PM
You'd want to ask Madora about BBBs. She is the expert! You could look on the "George Michael Philosophy" thread to see if she's already posted a list of good BBBs.

Alright, I'll check that out. c: thank you!

lapushka
October 1st, 2014, 01:03 PM
I absolutely swear by my Tangle Teezer, it doesn't pull on the scalp, you know the hairs that get stuck in a brush and then you pull (ouch). The TT doesn't do that at all. Worth every penny.

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 01:10 PM
I absolutely swear by my Tangle Teezer, it doesn't pull on the scalp, you know the hairs that get stuck in a brush and then you pull (ouch). The TT doesn't do that at all. Worth every penny.

Did you happen to buy it from amazon? And if so, could you possibly link me to the one you use. (There are so many knock-offs) I want to be sure I get the real deal.

ExpectoPatronum
October 1st, 2014, 01:14 PM
Do you have a Target nearby? I got my TT from there.

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 01:28 PM
Do you have a Target nearby? I got my TT from there.

No but I got a credit card recently so that's why I'm wanting to get stuff from amazon(I have prime free shipping)

Madora
October 1st, 2014, 01:32 PM
Right now I have a conair boar bristle brush (not the best..) and a normal generic comb from Sally's.
Since I'm looking to grow my hair, I want a brush that won't rip my hair to shreds.
Any suggestions? And yes, I know about the wet brush, but I don't really want to spend 10 dollars on a brush.

First of all, if you are not a regular brush user, you are going to need to "acclimatize" your scalp to brushing.A little at a time.

Start slowly, in the head down position. Detangle all your hair FIRST (with a wide tooth comb). Then take the boar bristle brush and brush SLOWLY from the nape to the ends of the hair. After each pass with the brush, slide your other hand down the hair you just brushed. The brush creates static. The palm of your hand helps tame it.

Number of strokes: start out slowly..with 10 strokes, and see how your scalp reacts. If you get dizzy or dislike brushing "upside down" then stand erect and brush (center part your hair first).

If your scalp doesn't hurt, increase the number of strokes by five. The next day, increase by 5 again, until you reach your goal.

The boar bristle brush...the best type of brush because it is made from wild boar "hair" which is the closest thing in nature that mimics human hair.

Not all bbbs are created equal! It all boils down to:

1) length of bristle
2) thickness/thinesss of bristle
3) how bristle clumps are place on the brush
4) stiffness or softness of the bristles

Other important considerations:

1) Size of brush and shape of brush. You want brushing to be a pleasant thing to do. You don't want a big brush that is too heavy.
2) The handle of the brush: should be ergonomically suited to your hand. The place at the neck of the brush should allow your thumb enough "wiggle room" to get a good purchase on it when you brush your hair
3) I found the most reliable brush is a brush that is elongated in shape
4) Number of rows of bristles: at least 5, preferably six rows of bristles, well placed apart! Bristles packed too closely together are hard to get through hair

Softness/Hardness of bristles:

Pretty much a matter of personal preference. The stiffness will eventually fade, depending on how much you use the brush.I prefer a moderately stiff bristle, with a little bit of flexibility.
If you are looking for soft bristles, then perhaps a baby brush might be more your style. But be warned, baby brushes don't really work on adult hair. Soft bristles can't really do much (at least they never worked for me).

Remember: A brush is only as good as HOW you use it! There's a proper way to brush that is hair friendly and it does not take that much time to do. Always detangle your hair with a comb before you start brushing!

For the sake of your hair: keep your brush and comb squeaky clean. It is a waste of time to put a dirty, hair filled brush on clean hair. Remove the hairs stuck in your brush every time you use it. There are "hair rakes" available on line that work perfectly for this task.

And, speaking from bitter experience (to the tune of $80!), try to choose your brush IN PERSON so that you can heft the brush and feel the bristles (test them on the inside of your wrist).

I believe in the power of brushing with a pure bbb..and have been doing so for over 40 years, with great results!

While you mentioned you didn't like your Connair bbb, have you seen the Connair Classic Wood Natural Shine Booster boar bristle brush? (Available at Target for about $9.99. Has 7 rows of nicely placed black bristles, shiny brown wooden handle, with a small black neophrene rubber band around the neck of the brush (to give the thumb a better purchase on the brush when you are using it. I cut it off because the rubber was not meshing well with my hair). I liked it so much, I bought a back up copy.

In conclusion: daily brushing gives you so many benefits: distributes your hair's natural sebum down the strands, removes dust/lint trapped in your hair/ leaves your hair silky and shiny. If you brush in the bent at the waist position, you'll reap even greater benefit because brushing helps stimulate your follicles, promoting better growth.

Happy brushing!

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 01:38 PM
First of all, if you are not a regular brush user, you are going to need to "acclimatize" your scalp to brushing.A little at a time.

Start slowly, in the head down position. Detangle all your hair FIRST (with a wide tooth comb). Then take the boar bristle brush and brush SLOWLY from the nape to the ends of the hair. After each pass with the brush, slide your other hand down the hair you just brushed. The brush creates static. The palm of your hand helps tame it.

Number of strokes: start out slowly..with 10 strokes, and see how your scalp reacts. If you get dizzy or dislike brushing "upside down" then stand erect and brush (center part your hair first).

If your scalp doesn't hurt, increase the number of strokes by five. The next day, increase by 5 again, until you reach your goal.

The boar bristle brush...the best type of brush because it is made from wild boar "hair" which is the closest thing in nature that mimics human hair.

Not all bbbs are created equal! It all boils down to:

1) length of bristle
2) thickness/thinesss of bristle
3) how bristle clumps are place on the brush
4) stiffness or softness of the bristles

Other important considerations:

1) Size of brush and shape of brush. You want brushing to be a pleasant thing to do. You don't want a big brush that is too heavy.
2) The handle of the brush: should be ergonomically suited to your hand. The place at the neck of the trust should allow your thumb enough "wiggle room" to get a good purchase on it when you brush your hair
3) I found the most reliable brush is a brush that is elongated in shape
4) Number of rows of bristles: at least 5, preferably six rows of bristles, well placed apart! Bristles packed too closely together are hard to get through hair

Softness/Hardness of bristles:

Pretty much a matter of personal preference. The stiffness will eventually fade, depending on how much you use the brush.I prefer a moderately stiff bristle, with a little bit of flexibility.
If you are looking for soft bristles, then perhaps a baby brush might be more your style. But be warned, baby brushes don't really work on adult hair. Soft bristles can't really do much (at least they never worked for me).

Remember: A brush is only as good as HOW you use it! There's a proper way to brush that is hair friendly and it does not take that much time to do. Always detangle your hair with a comb before you start brushing!

For the sake of your hair: keep your brush and comb squeaky clean. It is a waste of time to put a dirty, hair filled brush on clean hair. Remove the hairs stuck in your brush every time you use it. There are "hair rakes" available on line that work perfectly for this task.

And, speaking from bitter experience (to the tune of $80!), try to choose your brush IN PERSON so that you can heft the brush and feel the bristles (test them on the inside of your wrist).

I believe in the power of brushing with a pure bbb..and have been doing so for over 40 years, with great results!

While you mentioned you didn't like your Connair bbb, have you seen the Connair Classic Wood Natural Shine Booster boar bristle brush? (Available at Target for about $9.99. Has 7 rows of nicely placed black bristles, shiny brown wooden handle, with a small black neophrene rubber band around the neck of the brush (to give the thumb a better purchase on the brush when you are using it. I cut it off because the rubber was not meshing well with my hair). I liked it so much, I bought a back up copy.

In conclusion: daily brushing gives you so many benefits: distributes your hair's natural sebum down the strands, removes dust/lint trapped in your hair/ leaves your hair silky and shiny. If you brush in the bent at the waist position, you'll reap even greater benefit because brushing helps stimulate your follicles, promoting better growth.

Happy brushing!

Wow, thank you so much, Madora! I've been waiting for a post like this with so much helpful information. I will definitely buy my brushes in person. Also, I've recently heard of the George Micheal philosophy and I can't wait to start brushing 100 strokes every day. I always brush my hair before going to bed and when I sleep, I put my hair behind me when I lay on the pillow. It may not be the most comfortable position, but it helps with my bed head.
I'm going to copy and paste your post to my notes! And again, thank you :D

Madora
October 1st, 2014, 02:03 PM
Wow, thank you so much, Madora! I've been waiting for a post like this with so much helpful information. I will definitely buy my brushes in person. Also, I've recently heard of the George Micheal philosophy and I can't wait to start brushing 100 strokes every day. I always brush my hair before going to bed and when I sleep, I put my hair behind me when I lay on the pillow. It may not be the most comfortable position, but it helps with my bed head.
I'm going to copy and paste your post to my notes! And again, thank you :D

:)Whoa there, gustavonut!

I love your enthusiam but hold up a bit! There are varying schools of thought on how much to brush every day. Some folks can't brush the full 100 strokes because they've got kids to get to school, or a bus to catch, or they just don't want to brush that much.

Also, for the sake of your scalp, go SLOWLY when you begin to brush. Start out with 15 strokes, preferably in the morning (the best time to brush, right after you get up. Dr. Michael said it had something to do with that time being optimum for brushing).
Always detangle your hair with a COMB before beginning to brush.
Start at the nape (in the bent at the waist position) and SLOWLY brush to the ends. etc. etc, as set forth above

As for how you wear your hair at night..if you're comfy with your current routine, fine.
A lot of us wear our hair confined somehow because that protects it..either in some sort of braid, or bun, or confined in a sleeping cap. Being protective means healthier hair...and a lot less time dealing with tangles in the morning!

Last, but not least, I would not let a Tangle Teaser, or any brush containing nylon or rubber, near my hair. Dr. Michael, told me personally when I visited his salon in NYC in 1982, that synthetic brushes were murder on hair. I know people here rave about them...but they don't last as long as a real bbb does, which should tell you something. My bbbs have lasted, on average, about 10 years each.

And a good bbb doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg! My standby for years was a $7.00 Goody bbb that I purchased in the 70s (they don't make it any longer). I've now purchased a very nice Connair Classic Wood Natural Shine Booster brush - at Target - for $9.99. Very nice, and meshes well with my knee length hair.

If you have any other bbb questions, I'll be glad to help! Ditto for any questions about the brushing method...or air drying naturally. Feel free to pm me! Good luck..and happy brushing!

lapushka
October 1st, 2014, 02:33 PM
Did you happen to buy it from amazon? And if so, could you possibly link me to the one you use. (There are so many knock-offs) I want to be sure I get the real deal.

No, actually got mine off of ebay, years ago. Can't recall or find the shop in my purchase history. It was many years ago! It was the original, this one:
http://prettywelldressed.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/20130823-151422.jpg

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 04:10 PM
Madora: Thank you so much for all the help. You've really opened my eyes about using a BBB. :p Also I did see the forum topic asking about wearing a hat before going to bed after oiling your scalp. Would you recommend doing this? I don't have a satin or silk pillowcase and rarely do overnight oilings/treatments because of this. I would just love any help if possible, because I'm looking to grow my hair as long as I can.

gustavonut
October 1st, 2014, 04:12 PM
No, actually got mine off of ebay, years ago. Can't recall or find the shop in my purchase history. It was many years ago! It was the original, this one:
http://prettywelldressed.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/20130823-151422.jpg

Aha, I have a brush very very similar to that, I'll give it consideration (: