PDA

View Full Version : oiling hair

mamaherrera
October 1st, 2014, 04:21 AM
Having medium-coarse hair, I am wanting to try pre-poo oiling to see if it helps with detangling/lubrication, because I've been finding lots of snarls, especially on top of the head, close to part when I lowpoo. But having coarse-er hair, is coconut oil a good choice, or would jojoba oil be better?? I don't think I need more protein help! Also, how do you all get it in your hair?? I tried just finger combing it in on dry hair, but had lots of shed hair come out (maybe it's just the fall shed) but is there a better way to get it in and with more slip, maybe dampening the hair?? Just curious as to what works for others. Also, do most of you oil the scalp as well?? I find even when I deep condition, I have to keep oils and conditioner away from my scalp because it gets irritated, but I do want to get it as close to the scalp as possible, although I know that by doing this, when I put my hair up for the day, that oil will get on my scalp whether it wants it or not. But was hoping for others experiences and what works for you, especially people with my hair types. Thanks

Bambi
October 1st, 2014, 05:30 AM
I always make a mixture of olive oil, honey, ACV and conditioner as a treatment before schampooing( with a sulphate-free schampoo).
Leaves my hair super soft, shiny and tangle-free. :)

Ting32
October 1st, 2014, 06:47 AM
I don't put oil on my headhair as a prewash. It doesn't really make a difference.
The evening before washing I dampen my hair with a leave-in spray (you can use water too) and put a generous amount of coconut oil and evoo in it. Then I braid it and use a different pillowcase in bed so that I can throw in the wash the day after. Sometimes when I wash my hair dureing the day, I do the oiling in the morning, twist it in a bun and no-one will know.
After the wash I put a bit of babyoil, coconut oil and jojoba oil in my wet hair. I only detangle when its dry. Putting jojoba in dry hair makes it look oily for me.
Between washes I put coconut oil on the ends on days I remember to :) Combines with a bit of moisture (water or leave-in) it makes my ends supersoft.

schnibbles
October 1st, 2014, 06:58 AM
I would suggest that you shouldn't be afraid to experiment, there might be some trial and error but that's ok!
I pre-poo at night with about a nickel-sized blob of coconut oil, length only, in dry hair. I don't oil my scalp. I don't pre melt the oil or anything, I just rub the blob around in my hands and work it into my length when it becomes viscous. Some shed hairs do come out at this time. Then I sleep with it in a top knot and wash in the morning with diluted Nature's Gate or Tresseme Naturals. I wash 2-3 times a week and pre-poo with the coconut oil every time, my hair loves it. Hope this helps :)

arr
October 1st, 2014, 07:05 AM
I think you might do well with olive oil, it really softens and adds shine. I actually mix equal parts olive oil and coconut oil. Clip up your hair and just work with one part at a time. Rub the oil onto your palms and then glide them down your hair, pressing your hair between your palms. You can also comb in between if you want. Its up to you how saturated you want it to become, but just keep adding oil until its how you want it. My hair will look definitely oily but not dripping. Then leave it in as long as you want; overnight is ideal. I personally only apply to lengths because i have an oily enough scalp as it is. Just the motion of applying the oil is going to cause hairs to shed; i wouldnt worry about it, its normal. Also, i find it works better on dry hair, not damp. If its damp, you cant really tell where you put the oil or how much you have used. When the time comes to wash it out, i highly recommend using conditioner to get it out, it works much better than shampoo. Wet your hair thoroughly and then generously work conditioner through the oiled lengths, let it soak a bit, then work more through it. I use the same motion i used to apply the oil to work the conditioner through. Then rinse it out and continue with your regular hair routine.