PDA

View Full Version : Using Leave in - Wet or Dry?

Jennwith4
September 30th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Is it better to use leave ins when your hair is wet or is it ok to add it to dry hair as well?

stringy
September 30th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Try both and see what works best.

I use a serum (kind of like a leave-in) after shampooing and conditioning. I've used it on sopping wet hair, came out strange. Works best on damp, towel-dried hair. I've heard that a serum on dry hair will come out too greasy, but I haven't tried it.

I did try regular conditioner as a leave-in once before. My hair seemed waxy and dull afterwards. I don't recall if my hair was wet or not.

sourgrl
September 30th, 2014, 10:43 AM
This is one of those what works for one doesn't work for all kind of things so experimenting will be the only way to figure out what works for you. I use my rinse out condish as my leave in; just a smidge of conditioner worked through soaking wet hair.

Larki
September 30th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I've done it both ways and it makes no difference for my hair.

skeletonous
September 30th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I think either could work, though it seems more common to have leave-in applied to damp, towel-dried hair.

TrapperCreekD
September 30th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I do both, actually. On wash day, right before I get out of the shower, I squeeze out about half the water and scrunch in a dollop of regular conditioner before turbie-ing. If I want to refresh my wurls or give the length a moisture boost between washes, spritzing diluted cone-free conditioner works quite well.

sarahthegemini
September 30th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Putting conditioner on dry hair would result in a sticky gunky mess for me! Plus I'm pretty sure the ingredients in conditioner are formulated to bond/stick to wet hair (someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

GetMeToWaist
September 30th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I think wet because dry makes my hair sticky and tangly.

divinedobbie
September 30th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I just tried MO as a leave in yesterday on dry hair and today on damp, and they seemed to work the same for me. I've just started experimenting with leave-ins though.

swords & roses
September 30th, 2014, 12:41 PM
YMMV, but I like to use my leave-in on wet hair, right out of the shower. By the time my hair is dry, the leave-in has left my hair a little crunchy, but then I brush & it magically gets rid of that issue.

jeanniet
September 30th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I use it on soaking wet hair right after washing, but then also use it diluted with a little water to refresh dry hair. You really have to experiment a bit to figure out what works for you, especially in terms of when and how much. This is definitely a YMMV. :)

Nadine <3
September 30th, 2014, 02:03 PM
I cannot stand putting a leave-in on dry hair. Makes my hair feel YUCK! I use a glob of my regular conditioner diluted in a spray bottle on wet just out of the shower hair. Unless I do a deep treatment I dont add anything else to my length until my next wash day.

teacupterrors
September 30th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Like other people have said, leave-in conditioner in dry hair just makes my hair tangled and sticky. On days that I don't wash my hair, I use a serum, which feels a lot lighter and isn't as sticky and creamy.

lapushka
September 30th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I have to absolutely have mine added to damp hair. On dry hair it somehow ends up a greasy mess.

TSwan
September 30th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Personally, if I use a leave in with dry hair my hair looks like I rubbed crisco on it!
That being said, my sister does both and her hair looks awesome.
So it really depends on your hair!

If it matters
I have fine thick hair, my sister has coarse, super thick hair.

velorutionista
September 30th, 2014, 04:47 PM
I use different leave-ins on wet (well, damp, really) and dry hair. The one I use on my wet hair is a little heavier/more liquid-y than what I use on dry hair, the one I use on dry is more of a cream (Nightblooming panacea). I also only do my ends when dry (usually it's applied to dry hair to chill my hair out and calm down static, less for conditioning effects)

tokugawa.miyako
September 30th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I've done both. I used leave in on dry hair last winter when my ends got SUPER dry. I didn't have any problems with stickiness or tangles and, at the time, it was fairly helpful.

Sharysa
September 30th, 2014, 09:00 PM
For my Mixed Chicks leave-in: Wet hair, just out of the shower.

For my almond and sweetgrass oil mix: Damp/half-dry hair.

Oiling my hair dry just flattens my roots, so I only do that in a pre-shower treatment.

Marika
September 30th, 2014, 09:21 PM
I use leave-in on wet hair but oils on dry hair.

LadyCelestina
October 1st, 2014, 12:00 AM
Oils are ok on dry hair,for some reason,regular conditioner works better on wet or damp hair.