PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Someone Else's Hair

swords & roses
September 30th, 2014, 05:50 AM
What's your favorite method for cutting someone else's long hair? :) Faye's Self Trim works fine for when I cut my own, but I'm not sure how best to go about giving someone else a trim, and making sure it's not lopsided by the time I'm done.

ETA: I'm wanting to get rid of DH's damaged ends (several inches) on his waist-length hair, keeping a simple, U-shaped, blunt hemline.

lapushka
September 30th, 2014, 06:11 AM
My mom cuts my hair; used to do so by using Feye's self-trimming method, but now she uses one of the compact-cut layering methods out of the book "Haircutting for dummies" (a rec BTW). She uses the method where the ponytail rests on the top of your forehead (for the shortest layers). She hasn't cut my hair since November 2013, though. :)

Amapola
September 30th, 2014, 08:13 AM
I like to have the person stand with their back to me, then I use a spray bottle to spritz a little water on there to just sort of dampen the ends. This is assuming: you mean cutting someone else's LONG hair; and the hair is already detangled. I use a good comb: a wooden one or horn or something, and then use my really sharp scissors. Pretty simple.

Lady Mary
September 30th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I cut my husband's hair, and used to do my own (trying not to cut it at all now, of course.) I use scissors and an electric razor to cut his hair. I don't know if I am doing a particular method but the cut looks a bit business/WWII/military kind of thing.

swords & roses
September 30th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Just to clarify my original post, I'm wanting to get rid of DH's damaged ends (several inches) on his waist-length hair, keeping a simple, U-shaped, blunt hemline. :)

lazuliblue
September 30th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Just to clarify my original post, I'm wanting to get rid of DH's damaged ends (several inches) on his waist-length hair, keeping a simple, U-shaped, blunt hemline. :)

I just wet it, comb it out and then cut! It isn't really that difficult if all you're doing is a blunt u-shape. Once done I stand in front of the person and pull forward the front bits of hair to check that they are even.

AmyBeth
September 30th, 2014, 10:22 AM
I would do it just like I do Feye's method, only cut it for him. It's so goof-proof, once he sees how simple it is, he may do it himself in the future. Or perhaps he might make use of a crea clip.

Sharysa
September 30th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I just adapted Feye's method to work on my sister's hair.

Just keep in mind that you're viewing it from the side instead of the front, and you'll still be cutting the hemline straight across.