PDA

View Full Version : Just when I almost started flat ironing again...

muddblood21
September 29th, 2014, 12:37 PM
First off, let me say thank you all so much for letting me lurk and skim advice and tips. My hair is so much more healthy and happy with my new bleach free heat free attitude! However, I have been pondering just how worth it not using heat tools really is for me. I know, I know... heat=damage. I have been restraining myself from using it, I promise! After struggling with the longing to use my fire tongs, I finally had the little boost of encouragement I needed. I was visiting a friend, who happens to be a hair stylist, and she talked me into a microtrim after I had mentioned that I was cutting my own hair now (God bless the internet and Faye's self trim method!). She was really nice about it and insisted I let her dust my ends and that she would take off 1/4 inch and no more than that. So I let my hair down and she took a look. She was impressed! She told me that it was the most even self cut she had ever seen and I had basically no dead ends...even after a mega bleach disaster (which is still not all the way grown out/cut off). She even told me that I had the best "ombre" she had ever seen and asked if I did that myself. I explained that it was just the old stuff growing out and that I was going natural. She also noted that it was so soft and had lots of shine, even in the bleached parts. She asked what kind of flat iron I had and I told her it was a cheap Revlon one but that I was no longer using it. She was baffled but impressed. LOL She said "Well, what you are doing is definitely working for you, keep it up!" She also confirmed my suspicions about Pantene and my big shed I have been suffering (I have already switched shampoos and it is slowly getting much better, thank God!)...I know a lot of people enjoy Pantene, but my scalp/hair apparently hate it with the fire of a thousand suns, so you all can have my share ;)

Anyway, I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all you guys and gals on here for the help you have given! :toast:

Quasiquixotic
September 29th, 2014, 01:43 PM
:hifive: What a fantastic thing to happen. Sounds like it was just what you needed to hear and from the right person to hear it from.

SkyChild
September 29th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Isn't it brilliant when this happens?
Just confirming all your good hair karma! Especially nice to hear from hairdressers!
(Bin the straighteners - or give them away to someone less worried than you)

lapushka
September 29th, 2014, 02:34 PM
LOL fire tongs. Good one! :D :lol:

Glad your routine is working for you! :D

winship2
September 29th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Congratulations! How nice to have someone else be so enthusiastic about the results of your efforts! And Pantene makes me shed too, it's awful.

muddblood21
September 30th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Thank you all! It was exactly the boost I needed to stay committed! I have since banished my heat tools to a box in the attic, my mom likes to use mine when she visits so I won't trash it altogether. lol I do find some comfort in knowing Pantene was the cause of my massive shedding and not a real health problem. I was worried for a while that I might be dealing with something much much worse. Hopefully my boost can encourage someone else who might be itching to slip back into habits that got them in trouble in the past. Stay strong! It sure pays off! :D

Phoe
September 30th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Awesome!

I too have changed my ways and have seen great improvements. The rare salon visit usually got me a comment like "your hair is really healthy!"

The last time, however, the lady said "wow, your hair is so dry and damaged, it needs treatments" LOL what a load of crap. My hair is not dry in the slightest. Dunno what kind of trick she's trying to pull, but I won't be heading back to her again. Haha!