PDA

View Full Version : How to massage scalp without root matting?

Fimu
September 29th, 2014, 10:35 AM
If I massage my scalp, I get mats at my roots :/.

Is there a certain scalp massage technique that prevents root tangling?

Lyv
September 29th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Ive never gotten matts from massaging. I just put my fingers right onto the scalp (never on top of the hair) and rubbing gently in small circles.

Anje
September 29th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Less scrushing your hair everywhere, more insert your fingers under the layer of hair, press and move the scalp around in little circles, then move your fingers a bit and repeat. Massage a little deeper instead of rubbing your fingers across the surface.

Fimu
September 29th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Thank you for your answers :). Now I know how to adjust my technique.

Madora
September 29th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Fimu, it is better for your hair if you detangle it first (with a wide tooth comb) before you begin to massage. Also detangle afterwards.

lapushka
September 29th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Massage in small increments, don't rub your fingers around, taking the hair with you. Insert, rub a tiny bit, take fingers out. Insert in another location and repeat.

gthlvrmx
September 29th, 2014, 03:26 PM
You're supposed to move your scalp and apply pressure with your fingers to your scalp. It's not like you're trying to scratch your scalp.

Fimu
September 30th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Fimu, it is better for your hair if you detangle it first (with a wide tooth comb) before you begin to massage. Also detangle afterwards.

I noticed it's for me a bit tricky to detangle my dense curly hair when dry, especially with a wide tooth comb, since the clump pattern may be disrupted. But during rinse-outs it's fine for me :)

chelsea89ms
October 1st, 2014, 09:03 PM
When I first started massaging my hair would knot up terribly in the back near the scalp. But it was only until I started detangling both before and after with a a wide tooth comb that it didn't get so bad (I read this advice on another forum, thanks Madora!). But I do this before I shower so that I avoid the puffy hair and also don't clog the drains. But just like lapushka said, try to keep from moving the hair around and massage the scalp in small sections. Also a little mineral oil helps me a ton when detangling, especially on the ends (I think this means I need to clarify...). Best of luck :)

Madora
October 1st, 2014, 09:06 PM
When I first started massaging my hair would knot up terribly in the back near the scalp. But it was only until I started detangling both before and after with a a wide tooth comb that it didn't get so bad (I read this advice on another forum, thanks Madora!). But I do this before I shower so that I avoid the puffy hair and also don't clog the drains. But just like lapushka said, try to keep from moving the hair around and massage the scalp in small sections. Also a little mineral oil helps me a ton when detangling, especially on the ends (I think this means I need to clarify...). Best of luck :)

Glad I could help, Chelsea89ms! That's some head of hair you have! Glad you like MO too!

chelsea89ms
October 1st, 2014, 09:35 PM
Well thank you! Yes MO was a wonderful discovery, I even found that I don't need as much leave in these days. But its thanks to you all that I found that out :)

Fimu
October 2nd, 2014, 04:44 AM
I haven't tried out MO yet for dry-detangling, but the oil I usually use for dry-detangling is coconut oil.

Off-topic: chelsea89ms, I have the idea that your hair looks more loose 3b than 2c if I look at your avatar (cannot acces profiles yet). Do you also get ringlet-y ends on wash day?

chelsea89ms
October 2nd, 2014, 05:29 PM
I haven't tried out MO yet for dry-detangling, but the oil I usually use for dry-detangling is coconut oil.

Off-topic: chelsea89ms, I have the idea that your hair looks more loose 3b than 2c if I look at your avatar (cannot acces profiles yet). Do you also get ringlet-y ends on wash day?

I think I do, that picture is second day hair but on wash day the ends will have a little corkscrew but its mostly this S pattern. Do you really think my hair type is more 3b than 2c? I have really just guessed based on the hair type guide. I apologies for the hijack by the way :)

spidermom
October 2nd, 2014, 06:56 PM
Ive never gotten matts from massaging. I just put my fingers right onto the scalp (never on top of the hair) and rubbing gently in small circles.

I'm completely unable to do this. My hairs grow in so close to each other that's it's impossible to somehow slip my fingers through hair to scalp without being on top of hairs.

Fimu
October 3rd, 2014, 01:43 AM
I'm completely unable to do this. My hairs grow in so close to each other that's it's impossible to somehow slip my fingers through hair to scalp without being on top of hairs.

I see you also have dense hair. I guess it's less easy for dense hair to go directly onto the scalp.

[off-topic]
@ chelsea89ms: I get boticelli ends on wash day, so I think the S-patterns at my hair are caused by the weight (I use a lot of conditioner). But after 3rd day my curls are getting loose and become more wavy-like because of overnight braiding.
I cannot send private messages yet, so I understand the off-topic hijack :p.

Laurenji
October 3rd, 2014, 02:39 PM
I could see it being more tricky with curly hair. Whenever I massage my hair, I'm standing bent over so my head is down with my hair hanging towards the floor. I find it easier to "slip my fingers through my hair" that way.