PDA

View Full Version : A fun post I thought LHC would like....

CurlyCap
September 29th, 2014, 02:39 AM
http://thepragmaticcostumer.wordpress.com/2014/09/17/the-myth-of-a-myth-brushing-your-hair-100-times/

Enjoy!

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
September 29th, 2014, 03:32 AM
Thank you so much for sharing, I love the article. Its general tone reminds me of some books on beauty care I read as a child / young teenager and they came from my mum and aunts :-)

YvetteVarie
September 29th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Cool stuff. And very LHC friendly. I wonder if an LHC member wrote this...

Cania
September 29th, 2014, 04:43 AM
That picture half way down... :thud:
"Portrait of a Woman with her Hair Down, circa 1880"

Gertrude
September 29th, 2014, 04:55 AM
I loved this particularly as the top picture, the young girl with amazing sausage curls is wearing the unimpressed expression my 6 year old has for things she isn't really so keen on. Looks quite like her, so biased. The Victorian method as shown on the old photographs do show off brunette locks to great advantage. The whole sebum with oils added for styling never looked as good on blondes whose hair looks thinner, clumped and just greasy in the Victorian photos I have seen. Like my hair on day 5 (-; It's a nice article, very LHC friendly.

RapunzelKat
September 29th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Cool stuff. And very LHC friendly. I wonder if an LHC member wrote this...

I wondered the same thing. :) Very cool article, thanks for sharing CurlyCap!

DreamSheep
September 29th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Ohh, really like this :D And makes me happy to continue with my wash my hair just once a week regime. :-)

chen bao jun
September 29th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Love this post.
You mean--my tent hair is not a problem? Great!

Angela_Rose
September 29th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Oh, neat! I love the positive message in that article.

brickworld13
September 29th, 2014, 08:59 AM
This article is great. :) I often get frustrated when people ask about how I got such nice hair because they don't want to listen or don't believe the routine. Maybe this article will help that cause.

Lady Mary
September 29th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Oh, I enjoyed that post, thank you. I looked up those old curling irons too, I had no idea they had those, neat!

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n, I love your signature, very cute cartoon!

Nadine <3
September 29th, 2014, 09:32 AM
ohh, thanks for sharing this, I found it very interesting and I loved the pictures! :)

Edelweiss
September 29th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Great article ! The pictures are breathtaking

SkyChild
September 29th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Brilliant article. Makes me want to try a different kind of no-shampoo! (the bicarb rinse didn't work well for me)
The idea of brushing your hair through with a BBB and wide toothed comb, daubing it with scented oils and pomatums and powders sounds HEAVENLY to me. How luxurious!

hanne jensen
September 29th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Thanks for posting this, it's very informative.

Angelica
September 29th, 2014, 12:28 PM
The article is interesting. However, I don't like some of it. Boar Bristle brushes are cruel, and too harsh for my scalp anyway. So is there an alternative? Also it is ignorant and insulting for someone to comment that somebody who is vegetarian has thin/balding hair. My hair is genetic - both parents have this hair type and they eat meat and I am not anaemic! Unfortunately I don't know many vegetarians to absolutely prove this theory is incorrect.

RavennaNight
September 29th, 2014, 12:29 PM
I'm so enthused that I'm pondering if I can get this method to work despite that I hennindigo.

SkyChild
September 29th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Can I add one?
http://gibsonglamor.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/1890s-hair-wash-advice.html

skeletonous
September 29th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I love reading articles about older generation hair routines :) thanks for sharing!

Santi
September 29th, 2014, 02:39 PM
That was a fun read. Thanks, CurlyCap.

Robot Ninja
September 29th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I think the Victorian "tent hair" is mostly due to braid waves, which are then possibly brushed, rather than the washing routines. Cool article though.

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n, I love your sig.

winship2
September 29th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Fascinating article, thank you!

caromarpie
September 30th, 2014, 12:10 AM
thank you for sharing this I love it so so much

Larki
September 30th, 2014, 12:18 AM
I loved this particularly as the top picture, the young girl with amazing sausage curls is wearing the unimpressed expression my 6 year old has for things she isn't really so keen on. Looks quite like her, so biased. The Victorian method as shown on the old photographs do show off brunette locks to great advantage. The whole sebum with oils added for styling never looked as good on blondes whose hair looks thinner, clumped and just greasy in the Victorian photos I have seen. Like my hair on day 5 (-; It's a nice article, very LHC friendly.
Haha yes, being oil does not flatter blonde hair at all. :p Not a good look! I sometimes wish mine was brown so I might be able to stretch washes further.

AmyBeth
September 30th, 2014, 11:08 AM
That was great fun and quite interesting! Thanks for posting the link. One of the most interesting points the author made was the shift in thinking from Pantene commercial hair to natural healthy hair.

Frederikke
September 30th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Oh all that loveeeeelyyy Victorian hair

Lady Katherine
September 30th, 2014, 05:09 PM
That was so cool! Thanks for sharing!

CurlMonster
September 30th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Also it is ignorant and insulting for someone to comment that somebody who is vegetarian has thin/balding hair. My hair is genetic - both parents have this hair type and they eat meat and I am not anaemic! Unfortunately I don't know many vegetarians to absolutely prove this theory is incorrect.
One look at the great heads of hair on the Vegans and Vegetarians thread proves it wrong I think! ;)

MeowScat
September 30th, 2014, 06:26 PM
That was awesome, thank you! It took me a while to get through it because I couldn't stop staring at the pictures. Breathtaking.

AmyBeth
September 30th, 2014, 11:05 PM
One look at the great heads of hair on the Vegans and Vegetarians thread proves it wrong I think! ;)

I must've missed that part. I've been vegetarian for 45 years, vegan for the last 5 years and my hair is thicker and fuller than it's ever been, especially in the last 6 months since I dropped all processed foods. Vegetables and fruits are really good for growing hair!:)