PDA

View Full Version : Itchy head and Dandruff out the wazoo

Sammie_holms
September 28th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Hello friends,

So it has been a while since I posted anything but I have come across a serious issue.
Ever since I got rid of all the damage on my hair, it has been snowing from my scalp. As far as I know, I have not changed anything in my rootine, so I don't know why my scalp is giving me a premature winter. Also extremely itchy

Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch,

Sam

Plus side, my hair is uber thick and soft. :joy:

Anje
September 28th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Honestly, your best bet is to get a doctor to take a look and tell you what it is, because there are several possibilities ranging from dry skin to an infection.

Realistically, though, I'd probably start shampooing with a dandruff shampoo about twice a week (roughly my wash frequency anyway), scalp only (those shampoos can be rather harsh on hair), and see if that fixes the problem. If yes, great, problem fixed! If no, then it's time to get this thing actually diagnosed.

Panth
September 29th, 2014, 01:31 AM
Definitely see a doctor. There's a variety of conditions that result in dandruff+itchies and the treatments for one can exacerbate the others, e.g. scalp eczema does well with moisturising/oil treatments, but those same treatments would just provide food for the yeast that causes seborrheic dermatitis...

As Anje says, an anti-dandruff (2% ketoconazole) shampoo is likely what you'll be prescribed in the first instance. Used exactly as instructed, it is usually very effective. They are often very SLS-heavy and thus a bit harsh on the hair, but you can get around that by making sure you only use it on the scalp. As you don't typically use it for that long, it'll be fine. If you really are concerned, you can buy SLS-free 2% ketoconazole shampoo on the internet but it is very expensive.

Panth
September 29th, 2014, 01:32 AM
Double post - dratted server...