PDA

View Full Version : Pixie cut? (pics)

DancingGirl
September 28th, 2014, 05:54 PM
My hair is pretty damaged and multiple colors (messed up bleach) and I'm considering just chopping most of it off. For a while now I've gone on and off with the idea of a pixie cut. I'm thinking with the current situation now may be the time to go for it.
Do you think I could pull it off.
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a534/pricelaura66/WP_20140928_003_zps4d8a537c.jpg
And a picture with my bangs pushed to the side to see my face shape better
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a534/pricelaura66/WP_20140928_014_zps062c83b1.jpg
Sorry for the weird look. Any ideas about what style to go with?

lapushka
September 28th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I'd not go for a pixie, you might regret it, especially for growing it back out, which is very hard to do. I'd instead microtrim! Take a bit of your growth off every month or every couple of months. You are at a length where you can use Feye's self-trimming method!

Becs
September 28th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I agree, I would not go for a pixie. Not because I think you couldn't pull it off, but because like lapushka said you might regret it. And speaking from experience, pixies are a pain in the butt to grow out...all those different lengths to contend with shudder: . So if you want a pixie, make sure you are really really committed to the idea if you are planning to grow it back out from there. I would concur that microtrimming is a good idea. You get rid of damage slowly but surely but can still either maintain at a certain length, or even keep growing a bit depending on how much and how often you microtrim

LauraLongLocks
September 28th, 2014, 06:46 PM
If you want to do a big chop to get rid of a lot of damage, I would not go shorter than a chin length bob because pixie cuts are not fun to grow out. If you want your hair to be long, then you will most certainly have cutter's remorse.

divinedobbie
September 28th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't do it.The shortest I'd ever cut is a bob if I absolutely had to is a bob and then maintain there cutting the rest off.

ceruleanlove
September 28th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I ended up chopping to a pixie back in July 2012 to get rid of a TON of bleach damage....and it was the biggest pain to grow out. Of course, this is because I trimmed regularly to avoid a mullet; I've known many ladies on this forum to grow a pixie with far less cutting than I did (I just had no patience for it!). If I could do it over, I would drown my hair in coconut oil and protein, and do smaller trims. But, I also understand the want to get as much of the damage out as possible.

Long story short, it's all about what you feel comfortable doing. If you want to rock short hair, do it! It's definitely a different experience, and a lot of people have fun with it. But, if you're hesitant about losing length, my recommendation would be to start with a 1-2" trim or so, and go from there. You can always cut more afterwards if you want, you know?

DancingGirl
September 28th, 2014, 07:08 PM
The only thing holding me back is I'm not quite sure if I could pull it off. With already having bangs I can't really do any of the looks with longer sweepy bangs.

78Whispers
September 28th, 2014, 08:09 PM
If it were me I would not cut, because gaining hair length is a race of how fast your hair grows versus how much the ends get damaged, so being able to put it up would be important to me to protect the ends. But it sounds like you want to try a pixie, and I think it would be adorable on you. Hair grows and I would rather try a pixie, hate it, hate growing it out, than always wonder if I would have liked it. And you may love it, in which case it is a win-win.

So, since the question is can you rock a pixie, I say most assuredly you can. Like a rock star.

Sparklylady82
September 28th, 2014, 09:09 PM
From looking at your picture I don't think the damage looks too bad! If your goal is long hair just microtrim every month until it's healthy again :-)

robin000
September 28th, 2014, 09:31 PM
If your ultimate goal is to have long hair, then a pixie is probably going to drive you nuts once the novelty wears off. But if you've always really wanted a pixie and you're thinking "if not now, when?", then maybe give it a couple of weeks and then go for it. Maybe both of those sentences is true for you, then you just have to weigh which matters more.

You could totally pull it off. It's true that your current bangs add a certain constraint, but they could still work with the right cut. With the swept, longer pixies, you usually have hair coming forward at an angle from much farther back on your head than your bangs start currently. Since your bangs aren't that heavy, they may not interfere with your options all that much. You could also start with a pixie-ish bob as a safer starter cut. Good luck!

cherrybird
September 28th, 2014, 09:42 PM
You could pull off a pixie, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're only doing it because of the damage. Have you thought of doing a pageboy instead? You'd keep your bangs the way they are now. I've grown out from both a pixie and a chin length bob and the bob was much easier to grow out.

Fufu
September 29th, 2014, 04:16 AM
When in doubt, don't do it.

I had pixie before and I enjoyed it because I know I will not regret it.

Micro-trim first :)

hannabiss
September 29th, 2014, 08:11 AM
I say if you really want to cut out damage just do a Bob. The layers of a pixie are a pain in the butt.

lazuliblue
September 29th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Only get a pixie if it's something that you will regret NOT having done in years to come. I am glad that I had really short hair, but it was more of a necessity because I had lost so much hair.

Lyv
September 29th, 2014, 09:41 AM
I think you could pull it off! I cut mine to get rid of old bleach in January and don't regret it. It's almost shoulder now and the awkward stage didn't last me very long, I've done 3 trims so far to even it up a little bit. I still want my hair to be long but honestly I think I would have regretted not going for a pixie even though I was totally scared/unsure.

Tabamnoc
September 29th, 2014, 10:28 AM
maybe I'm new here so my opinion isn't as important but here goes ;) I recently cut my hair from bsl to pixie because I died my hair with henna and haaaaated it. For me the idea of two toned hair for years was far worse than short hair. i also have never had it this short, always kinda wanted it, and thought that I do want long hair for the majority if my life (have had it as long as waist before) so if not now then when? I DON'T regret it in the slightest and am having fun noticeably seeing my hair get longer. there are so many tips on growing pixies out gracefully it really hasn't been a big deal so far. I say go for it! think about it first but really consider the thought of growing out all healthy hair that you can baby from the beginning instead of trying to play catchup with the damage already done

DancingGirl
September 29th, 2014, 12:40 PM
I'm going to get my hair cut to a chin length bob. I've had it like that a couple times and thought it was cute. Later it I wanna still go for a pixie I'll go for it. A chin length bob will also get grid of most of my uneven coloring. My phone camera is not really good so it wasn't noticeable in the picture, but I have 3 different colors going on medium ash blonde, strawberry blonde, and a coppery color in the back. On top of that my hair is super damaged. I cut off a majority of the damage after I bleached it. I pretty much had to it was bad when I ran my fingers through it it was coming out in a gummy mess. Never again will I tough bleach haha!

Merlin
September 29th, 2014, 12:56 PM
The issue of whether you could pull it off isn't dependent on how short it is, it's dependent on how well your stylist can cut. There are pixie cuts and pixie cuts - a good hairdresser will give you the pixie cut which is right for you.

lapushka
September 29th, 2014, 02:19 PM
The issue of whether you could pull it off isn't dependent on how short it is, it's dependent on how well your stylist can cut. There are pixie cuts and pixie cuts - a good hairdresser will give you the pixie cut which is right for you.

Very good point. Some stylists can even mess up a bob, now bobs are hard to cut *right*!

Merlin
September 29th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Very good point. Some stylists can even mess up a bob, now bobs are hard to cut *right*!

A bob is actually one of those cuts which really has to be got right to make it sit properly - I suspect it's one of those supposedly simple things which is actually really hard.

Crumpet
September 30th, 2014, 01:14 AM
Can you pull off a pixie? Yes! I think it would look great on you, actually.

Should you get a pixie? As others have said, not if you want to grow out your hair. I have never had one, but there are lots of others here who have done it and it doesn't sound fun. Seek advice from them. If you want to have short hair for a bit and experiment, then go for it!

By the way, your hair doesn't look bad to me -- maybe try some extra LHC love on it for a while and see if it improves (if that's your pixie cut motivator)?

gnome82
September 30th, 2014, 03:04 AM
I cut my close to waist hair, short due to post natal shed (kept on finding hair on my premature baby) and damage. I wish I had it cut in a bob!!!! My hair grows fast but it is still a pain to watch it grow out!!!!

browneyedsusan
September 30th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Get a pixie if you want it long term.
Pixies are great fun until you want to grow them out, then they're SUPER frustrating!

IMHO:
Pixies are awesome! SL+ hair is tolerable. APL hair is pretty fun. BSL+ hair is awesome again!

lapushka
September 30th, 2014, 06:52 AM
If you really want a pixie (read you've settled on a bob), then go into the shorties thread on here and see how hard it is to grow it back out. Those ladies and gents can sure use the support! :flower:

DancingGirl
September 30th, 2014, 03:25 PM
If you really want a pixie (read you've settled on a bob), then go into the shorties thread on here and see how hard it is to grow it back out. Those ladies and gents can sure use the support! :flower:

Thanks I'll check it out :grin:

NormaJean
September 30th, 2014, 03:37 PM
I've done it and I didn't regret it..... and I have a weird face / strange cowlicks in my growth pattern / bumpy head..... all the reasons not to. It was so much easier than trying to deal with gradual cuts and dyed stripes regardless of all that, imo. Just powered through it and got rid of the last of the dye/damage all at once.

It really did look awful for a year or two there. Within a month or two, you get to the puffball stage where you have to style the crap out of it or live with being a human cottonball for a while..... then comes the mullet stage where you have to get trims more frequently than usual to keep the hemline in shape.... and then it's pretty clear sailing after that. I looked puffy more than anything else until it hit shoulders, but I have never been able to deal with the daily styling needs of shorter hair. Lots and lots of people are way more talented at keeping it all looking nice.

I'm also not very vain though, so my chances of regretting any of that are slimmer than someone who takes a great amount of pride in their appearance. YMMV.