PDA

View Full Version : The most protective hairstyle for the night

Edelweiss
September 28th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Do you have any idea of the most protective (and comfortable) hairstyle during the night ?

I usually do a basic braid or a cinnamon bun but if anyone has a better idea please tell me !

Thanks !

Nadine <3
September 28th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I like putting my hair in a sock bun right on top of my head at night or a french braid.

Zesty
September 28th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Well, in my book, loose hair in a silk sleep cap wins for ease, protectiveness, and comfort. But pretty much unanimously loses in the attractiveness category, and there can be a bit of a learning curve for keeping it on all night, but if I can do it, with how rough I sleep, then I think anyone can. Anyway, when my hair was hip to tailbone length my sleep cap was a lifesaver! Right now I'm just wearing my hair loose on a silk pillowcase until I can get a new one.

lapushka
September 28th, 2014, 02:08 PM
I don't like it up as I believe styles at night might cause breakage (from the hair being up in something "immobile" and you tossing and turning, thus causing friction in the style and how it's held (tight by a scrunchie or elastic band)).

I sleep with it loose, but folded up underneath my head. Since I generally don't move much, this is an excellent solution. A sleep cap might also be an excellent idea.

Zesty
September 28th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I don't like it up as I believe styles at night might cause breakage (from the hair being up in something "immobile" and you tossing and turning, thus causing friction in the style and how it's held (tight by a scrunchie or elastic band)).

I always felt this way as well. I can easily see a top-of-the-head bun causing breakage around the hairline and back of your head. But I guess for some people it's a tradeoff between that and horrible tangles? :shrug: Or their hair is more durable than mine!

Johannah
September 28th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I don't like braids or buns. It gives me tangles like crazy. Right now I sleep with my hair loose, but I bought a satin sleep cap. Maybe this is something to try.

Madora
September 28th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Personally, I love the single braided bun on top of my head, which I learned about here. It's comfy, holds like a rock, and can be used the next day. It protects my very long hair, and I am convinced that because of its protective nature it has enabled me to reach my goal of knee. Detangling is a breeze the next morning...all of 3 minutes with my faux tortoiseshell comb.

My braided bun: http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/32414Singlebraidbuntop.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/32414Singlebraidbuntop.jpg.html)

Amapola
September 28th, 2014, 07:39 PM
I coil my hair straight on top of my head and use a couple of spin pins to hold it in place. I tried a sleep cap but could not keep it on. I thrash around violently all night long; I suppose it's a weird way to stay in shape but man is it ever hard on hair styles. Coiling it up at the very top of my head is the only thing that works for me. And as I don't have the Bun That Ate My Head like Madora does, the edges of it really don't touch my (gorgeous slippery) pillow case. :D

Creagan
September 28th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I do a single english braid and call it good. It needs to be braided otherwise I get the worst tangles ever, and my hair throttles me in my sleep.

DweamGoiL
September 28th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I also coil my hair on top of my head into a top knot and hold it in place with 2 large claw clips at each side and I sleep with a sleep cap as well.

Amapola
September 28th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Ooh claw clips... GREAT idea DweamGoil! Thanks for the tip!

DweamGoiL
September 28th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Ooh claw clips... GREAT idea DweamGoil! Thanks for the tip!

You're very welcome. Let me know how it works out for you :)

Chiaroscuro
September 28th, 2014, 09:23 PM
An idea I don't see posted is to wear a horse tail protector. Depending on your needs.... I love it for when I am lazing around in bed or around the house but don't want to put my hair up. They sell them on ebay and in tack shops. These and a silk pillow case are good for when I don't want to bundle my hair up, or I'm just lounging.

Sharysa
September 28th, 2014, 10:47 PM
I just do one or two braids (often Dutch) when I'm sleeping.

Thick hair means a giant, heat-retentive cape. Once my hair reached midback, I started sweating within minutes. Plus, my hair is wavy and I'm an active sleeper, so it needs restraining to keep the tangles away.

animetor7
September 28th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I vary types of braids, twin braids single braids etc. and I also use loose buns on top of my head. I believe this helps prevent wear and tear on one small piece of hair.

Yenn
September 28th, 2014, 11:35 PM
I used to have it in one braid, but now that my hair is shorter and has layers I've been doing twin braids. I'm a hit concerned that crunches might be damaging my hair, but its that or horrifying animal of tangles at the nape of my neck :rant:

memeow
September 28th, 2014, 11:36 PM
I vary types of braids, twin braids single braids etc. and I also use loose buns on top of my head. I believe this helps prevent wear and tear on one small piece of hair.

I do this too. I do sometimes sleep with it down as well but I think that results in more tangles. Sometimes I try out new fancy braid styles as sleep styles, since it gives me the chance to practice without really caring how it comes out :D

Zebra Fish
September 29th, 2014, 01:39 AM
One loose braid at the top of my head (literally top of the head - lay on the pillow, toss the hair over and braid), little bit (drop or two) of oil on the end of braid and tassel and put it over the pillow. It stays there all night and I DO toss ans turn. And for now the oil trick is working so I don't need to tie it (no greasing from that at all).

sarahthegemini
September 29th, 2014, 03:18 AM
I just wear a french twist secured with a claw clip. Works great for me. Obviously I can't lay on my back with this but I'm mostly a side sleeper anyway. I make sure to take it out carefully so hairs very rarely get caught/broken.

Mimha
September 29th, 2014, 05:00 AM
Hi Edelweiss.

In the past, I had quite long hair (about tailbone) and used to make a simple braid. By this time I didn't know about LHC. Since I came here, I get to realize a lot of little things were damaging my hair. For example, I am pretty sure that my tight braid did protect the hair INSIDE of it, but was very bad to those rubbing the sheets. Indeed, when hairs are prisoners of a tight braid, and when the braid moves against your back and rubs the clothes or the sheets (or worse : when it is cought underneath your body when sleeping), the hair in contact with the sheets cannot "escape" by bending or freely sliding away : they harshly rub the surface of contact. That's how I explain the lot of taper I had : the thickness of my braid diminished a lot with the length, which by that time I did not understand ! Now that I grow my hair again (now APL) I just pull it up on the top of my bed and leave it loose to the other side of the pillow. It is confortable : no braid at my nape or heavy weight on the top of my head. And when my hair will be longer, I may do same as Zebra Fish : make a very loose braid on the very top of my head without attaching it, so rubbing against the sheet will not be as rough as with a low thightly attached braid.

... :hmm: I feel my explanations a bit messy... I hope you understand what I mean ! :)

MHM

LadyCelestina
September 29th, 2014, 05:34 AM
^Mimha how beautiful your hair is ! :bigeyes:

I can't bear sleeping with anything but a braid.I do get breakage from it on the roots where the hair isn't braided,but it's much better than sleeping with it loose.

DreamSheep
September 29th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Recently I've been doing two english braids, sticking the ends inside a sock and putting a rubber band on top. Not perfect, not attractive, but I'd like to think it protects my ends without getting in my way

lunasea
September 29th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Wrapped around my head and covered with a silk scarf.

Edelweiss
September 29th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I'm so surprised to see that many of you sleep with your hair loose, I always thought it was causing a lot of tangles and breakage !

DreamSheep
September 29th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Before I tried the sock-on-braid (which I don't always do...) I always slept with my hair loose. I'd scoop it and lie it in a straight line away from me, so I wouldn't get tangled up in it. I'd say my hair usually fairs well with this treatment (I don't usually get much tangles, unless I've shared with my bf, he always manages to tangle my hair!), but I do find it gets dry and picks up any lint on the bed :(

jacqueline101
September 29th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Put mine loose with the ends on top of my head with my sleep cap on top.

Natalina
September 29th, 2014, 01:07 PM
I sleep with loose hair nowadays.

I used to sleep with a bun on top of my head or a braid. But ever since my hair touched TBL, it's gotten heavy and uncomfortable. All the pulling just hurts my scalp and cause me to have a hard time sleeping. Plus I don't have a regular sleep pattern so I can't be bothered to fix it comfortably.

My hair has minimal tangles and I've no problems with breakage.

Yenn
September 29th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Put mine loose with the ends on top of my head with my sleep cap on top.

I read this as "...on top of my head with me STEEL cap on top" = extreme protection :misskim: XD

rags
September 29th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I do an English braid in the height of summer when my sleep cap is just too hot (I live in the American South and it can get quite hot and humid!). The rest of the year (all but about two months), it's loose inside of a sleep cap. I can only sleep with it totally loose if it's either been coned to death (deep treatment plus leave-in of cones), or full of oil (and then usually I don't WANT it loose to get all over my pillow!). My hair is an absolute tangle monster past about BSL (it's almost hip now).

Stormynights
September 29th, 2014, 02:39 PM
An idea I don't see posted is to wear a horse tail protector. Depending on your needs.... I love it for when I am lazing around in bed or around the house but don't want to put my hair up. They sell them on ebay and in tack shops. These and a silk pillow case are good for when I don't want to bundle my hair up, or I'm just lounging.
I am curious about this. I googled and there are so many. What kind do you use?

bustang65
September 29th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I find this really interesting. I have always slept with my hair down, including when it was permed (and fried) at BSL. I'm APL-BSL right now and it won't tangle sleeping, but I thought it would damage it having it down? I just get it in a top bun, but now I'm worried about the breakage after reading all this. Is sleeping with it down something I should consider since my hair doesn't get tangled?

lapushka
September 29th, 2014, 03:01 PM
I find this really interesting. I have always slept with my hair down, including when it was permed (and fried) at BSL. I'm APL-BSL right now and it won't tangle sleeping, but I thought it would damage it having it down? I just get it in a top bun, but now I'm worried about the breakage after reading all this. Is sleeping with it down something I should consider since my hair doesn't get tangled?

Maybe try a satin bonnet if you're wanting some protection but not wanting to put the hair up.

LadyLongLocks
September 29th, 2014, 04:40 PM
A satin sleep cap or just down hanging over the side of the bed. Buns are a no no and I regret it in the morning.

DarleneH
September 29th, 2014, 07:22 PM
.... lay on the pillow, toss the hair over and braid.....
This is exactly my favorite way to wear mine to sleep. If I don't braid it this way, then I start it in the wrong spot so it's uncomfortable or painful all night.

nerdymomma
September 29th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I normally have it loose and curl it around my head like a halo so DH doesn't roll on it. I am so used to doing this that when I switch sides in the night I move my hair in my sleep. I am not an active sleeper though, and can lie in one position for most of the night.

tokugawa.miyako
September 29th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I used to just put my hair in a braid at night, but I got a satin cap to sleep in about a month ago and I've found that it's quite a bit more comfortable to sleep in it with my hair loose. It doesn't make my hair as wavy as the braid did though. ;)

bustang65
September 29th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Maybe try a satin bonnet if you're wanting some protection but not wanting to put the hair up.
This is different than a cap? But better than sleeping with hair loose or in a bun? My hair is so thick that my shortest pieces are APL and longest a out BSL that a braid doesn't work well. Just interested in what is the best to prevent breakage taking into consideration that my hair doesn't tangle! :)

captaincrunch
September 29th, 2014, 09:41 PM
I get bad tangles if I wear my hair down but my head is sensitive so braids are uncomfortable. I put rubber bands along the length every 8 inches or so. I put the top bands in low so it doesn't pull my hair.

neko_kawaii
September 29th, 2014, 09:47 PM
I expect a bonnet is another name for a sleep cap. There are many different styles. I find a braid annoying to sleep in these days. I end up with a dead spot in my back or whatever where I have been laying on the hair tie. Perhaps I am a princess after all. My sleep cap is very comfy. Occasionally it will fall off during the night (I toss a lot), but mostly it stays put. Like Rags said, it isn't comfortable when the temperature rises and I resort to a braid. (My scalp revolts if I bun my hair at night as well as during the day.)

NormaJean
September 29th, 2014, 10:27 PM
I do braided pigtails, a braid on one side, or just leave it loose.

Trying to avoid the loose bit for a while to preserve the fresh ends off my last trim for as long as possible though.

I am a very active sleeper and have cats that come steal my pillow and end up all wrapped up in my hair. Bad combo for tangles.

Chiaroscuro
September 29th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Chiaroscuro View Post

I am curious about this. I googled and there are so many. What kind do you use?

I apologize---I now realize there are so many, and I didn't describe mine well. I use a 'horse lycra tail bag'. It is a soft, rectangular, lycra sack with either self ties or a separate tie of lycra running through a turn of fabric at the top; about 7 x 27". Here is an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRETTY-Light-BLUE-WHITE-ZEBRA-HORSE-LYCRA-TAIL-BAG/121161081498?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D333001%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20131227121020%26meid%3D1497ef30ec4a49bcb24 7040dffc90164%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D2013122712102 0%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D121321010127

Sharysa
September 30th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Huh, it looks like you could make those from any rectangle of cloth and cord.

DarleneH
October 1st, 2014, 07:58 PM
I wonder how milkmaid braids would work for sleeping? Hmmmm....

Madora
October 1st, 2014, 09:10 PM
I wonder how milkmaid braids would work for sleeping? Hmmmm....

Milkmaid braids work just fine for sleeping, DarleneH. Just be sure to braid loosely. Makes the braids more comfy to sleep on.

Ferngear
October 1st, 2014, 10:04 PM
What would be best for the sides of your head? I usually just pile my hair up on top of my nest of pillows since I'm not an active sleeper and it stays up there all night -- I think have anti-tangle hair, never a problem. But I'm a side-sleeper, and reading this thread made me wonder if the reason I have so many shorter hairs around my temples might be because that's where all the friction is? I tried a cap, but my head got too warm. Haven't tried a satin pillow case yet, mostly because I'm not a fan of satin in general -- using 100% cotton right now, including some pillowcases that I made myself to match my quilts, not sure how much difference that makes. Thoughts?

NormaJean
October 1st, 2014, 10:06 PM
What about silk? If you don't like satin, a silk pillowcase is supposed to be hair friendly as well I think.

Undomiel
October 1st, 2014, 11:00 PM
I also like the cinnabon. I use 3 or 4 medium claw clips and it stays in place. I would probably like to sleep in a sidebraid more often if I could (I love the waves) but my fiance and I shared a double bed and he's 6'2 so there's only so much room for two people and this much hair. My hair down and thrown to the side takes up his entire side of the bed so I don't really have a choice unless I want to have it tugged (yay! lol)

Ferngear
October 1st, 2014, 11:55 PM
That's a thought...might look into that!

mamaherrera
October 2nd, 2014, 12:30 AM
I would love to see how you put this on your hair. Is lycra safe for the hair?? Doesn't it cause friction???
PICTURES PLEASE OF THIS IN YOUR HAIR!!! Sounds like a great idea!

I apologize---I now realize there are so many, and I didn't describe mine well. I use a 'horse lycra tail bag'. It is a soft, rectangular, lycra sack with either self ties or a separate tie of lycra running through a turn of fabric at the top; about 7 x 27". Here is an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRETTY-Light-BLUE-WHITE-ZEBRA-HORSE-LYCRA-TAIL-BAG/121161081498?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D333001%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D20131227121020%26meid%3D1497ef30ec4a49bcb24 7040dffc90164%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D2013122712102 0%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D121321010127

TheBlondieDream
October 2nd, 2014, 09:13 AM
i usually take up my hair in...guess what? a bun.
But i was wondering if it may be the cause of my breakage issue, as i end up wear the bun all the day, every day as for now....and i noticed lately my scalp turns to be itchy and i simply need to let my hair down for a while to make it feel better....

catamonica
October 2nd, 2014, 03:53 PM
Madora, I have to try your protective style. My hair is just past hip length. I hope my hair grows a little more. You are truly blessed, having hair that long!

Vrindi
October 2nd, 2014, 04:36 PM
I have fine, TB+ length hair. I put it in a loose braid, and then loop it over the top of my pillow and then tuck it under. This keeps it in place all night, even if I'm rolling around. I don't have silk pillowcases, but they are very soft and lint-free, so almost as good. :) I can't do buns without feeling it pull all night.

roseomalley
October 2nd, 2014, 05:36 PM
My hair is very fine and APL. I had been bunning it high on my head , held with two spin pins. Then, I thought I was wearing it in the same style night and day. I was worried about damage. Lately, I french braid it and loop the tail up a bit and use a claw to hold it together. (I am a side sleeper). I have a silk pillowcase, which I have come to love. So comfy, even in summer. I tried a silk, sleep,cap, but I could not get it to stay on.

Robot Ninja
October 2nd, 2014, 06:59 PM
But I'm a side-sleeper, and reading this thread made me wonder if the reason I have so many shorter hairs around my temples might be because that's where all the friction is? I tried a cap, but my head got too warm. Haven't tried a satin pillow case yet, mostly because I'm not a fan of satin in general -- using 100% cotton right now, including some pillowcases that I made myself to match my quilts, not sure how much difference that makes. Thoughts?

I've been wondering that myself. I sleep on my face and my pillowcases are cheap, so they're not even smooth cotton, but silk is expensive and satin isn't an option because, well, I sleep on my face.

I keep my hair in an English braid for sleeping, tied off with strips of pantyhose.

Chiaroscuro
October 2nd, 2014, 08:13 PM
I would love to see how you put this on your hair. Is lycra safe for the hair?? Doesn't it cause friction???
PICTURES PLEASE OF THIS IN YOUR HAIR!!! Sounds like a great idea!

Hi there, mamaherrera! Potential lycra damage is a great point. Well, you know what they say, "Your mileage may vary." The mane you see in my avatar is really my hair, all 6" circumference of it, so I don't think the bag is causing me damage. I just turned my bag inside out, and I couldn't find a single hair in it. But everyone's hair is different and lycra can cause static. I never have had a static problem with my hair, but if your hair is prone to static, lycra could create a tangled mess for you. So if you like the bag idea, but fear static, you might try making your own out of silk charmeuse or a polyester satin weave, etc. You can search online using the term 'horse lycra tail bag,' and I am sure you will very quickly find a photo of a horse wearing a protective bag.

Torily
October 2nd, 2014, 09:00 PM
I braid and clip it up.

mamaherrera
October 2nd, 2014, 10:26 PM
Now I need someone creative to help me make one!! I love and own silk caps but I don't like the thought of elastic on my edges and forehead. I have enough wrinkles.

Hi there, mamaherrera! Potential lycra damage is a great point. Well, you know what they say, "Your mileage may vary." The mane you see in my avatar is really my hair, all 6" circumference of it, so I don't think the bag is causing me damage. I just turned my bag inside out, and I couldn't find a single hair in it. But everyone's hair is different and lycra can cause static. I never have had a static problem with my hair, but if your hair is prone to static, lycra could create a tangled mess for you. So if you like the bag idea, but fear static, you might try making your own out of silk charmeuse or a polyester satin weave, etc. You can search online using the term 'horse lycra tail bag,' and I am sure you will very quickly find a photo of a horse wearing a protective bag.

Adiro
October 2nd, 2014, 10:37 PM
I have a lot of breakage ( at all levels) on the underside of my hair! I always blamed my gold chain that holds my cross, which I never remove. the chain does cause some tangles and breakage, but now I am wondering if actually braiding my hair causes all the breakage on the underside...... up to now i always did a low simple braid for sleeping, and rarely two braids.... since a couple of month ago I added a silk bonnet to my sleep routine, and I have to say it helped with tangles, but it mostly helped to protect me from my 9 month old breastfeeding baby who tries to scalp me alive.
anyway, back to sleeping, so in the end the braid is not so protective..... btw, my hair is past hip length now

mamaherrera
October 2nd, 2014, 11:10 PM
I have the 8 month old baby too, who's number one goal is to leave me without hair!

MsPharaohMoan
October 3rd, 2014, 11:41 PM
I've been wondering that myself. I sleep on my face and my pillowcases are cheap, so they're not even smooth cotton, but silk is expensive and satin isn't an option because, well, I sleep on my face.

I keep my hair in an English braid for sleeping, tied off with strips of pantyhose.

What's wrong with sleeping on your face and satin? Hmmm...

Madora
October 3rd, 2014, 11:52 PM
Madora, I have to try your protective style. My hair is just past hip length. I hope my hair grows a little more. You are truly blessed, having hair that long!

Thanks, catamonica. I was able to reach this length due, in part, to being proactive in keeping it up and detangling gently..and of course my daily brushing..but you know how I am about brushing!:D

Just have patience and continue to gently care for your hair...and you can grow long too!

Madora
October 3rd, 2014, 11:59 PM
I have a lot of breakage ( at all levels) on the underside of my hair! I always blamed my gold chain that holds my cross, which I never remove. the chain does cause some tangles and breakage, but now I am wondering if actually braiding my hair causes all the breakage on the underside...... up to now i always did a low simple braid for sleeping, and rarely two braids.... since a couple of month ago I added a silk bonnet to my sleep routine, and I have to say it helped with tangles, but it mostly helped to protect me from my 9 month old breastfeeding baby who tries to scalp me alive.
anyway, back to sleeping, so in the end the braid is not so protective..... btw, my hair is past hip length now

Am at a loss to understand why braiding would not be protective (unless, of course, you braided to tightly, which is a no no). I've been braiding my hair and wearing it up in braids for a good part of my life, with no harm.

If you think that your gold chain is the culprit, then why don't you try wrapping it with a thin material (at least at night) so it doesn't catch/interfer with your hair.

That breakage might be connected with how you detangle your hair. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause the damage you describe.

What you might do to help protect your hair at night is to detangle it gently, then make a horizontal part from the top of one ear, around the back of the head, to the top of the other ear.

Take all the hair ABOVE the part, detangle it, then divide in 3 sections and LOOSELY braid it down to the ends
Take all the remaining hair BELOW the part and do the same. Since your hair is long, you could just braid it 3/4ths of the way down and not bother with tieing off with a hair friendly elastic.

You could even take the braids and wear them milkmaid fashion around your hair (pinning in place with crimped hairpins).

jacqueline101
October 4th, 2014, 11:44 AM

I love that. Like another person suggested I might try to make one.

Robot Ninja
October 4th, 2014, 12:13 PM
What's wrong with sleeping on your face and satin? Hmmm...

It tends to be made out of polyester and I'm prone to breakouts. I imagine polyester would only make it worse.

MsPharaohMoan
October 5th, 2014, 02:46 PM
It tends to be made out of polyester and I'm prone to breakouts. I imagine polyester would only make it worse.

Interesting! I too am prone to breakouts and have been suspicious of my satin pillow… Does anyone else have any thoughts or info on this correlation?

Larki
October 5th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Interesting! I too am prone to breakouts and have been suspicious of my satin pillow… Does anyone else have any thoughts or info on this correlation?
I dunno, I've been using a satin pillowcase for a month and my face is still very clear, like it has been for the last four months (ever since I started using argan oil on my face). Before four months ago, I was very prone to acne.

DarleneH
October 5th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Those sports tubes and motorcycle hair protectors might work. I can't remember the exact name of the sports ones to tell you what to google and the motorcycle ones I got at a Harley shop. I have thought about making the sports ones out of stretchy fabric but had forgot about them until this post reminded me.

Eastbound&Down
January 11th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Is there a difference between satin and silk sleep caps? I found a satin cap at the store and it was pretty cheap so I bought it but would a silk one be better?

Remi
January 11th, 2015, 05:43 AM
I have found satin will contribute to a sweaty face (on a pillowcase) and a satin sleep cap doesn't breathe for the hair and scalp. Silk is a natural fiber and has made a big difference in my hair (sleep cap). Most time I leave it loose in the sleep cap. Make sure to get one that does not have exposed elastic to rub off smaller hairline strands.