PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here wash their hair every day?

sunnylove
September 28th, 2014, 11:57 AM
My scalp and roots get super greasy. I hate how my hair looks in between washes (I wash it every other day). Would it hurt my hair that much to wash every day? And yes, I've tried to 'train' my scalp for three years to produce less oil and it hasn't worked at all. So can I just give in and wash it every day?

ExpectoPatronum
September 28th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Plenty of people here are unable to stretch washes super long and wash every day. I've been trying to stretch washes for years and the longest I can do consistently is every other day.

Washing your hair every day is fine IMO. Some people's hair doesn't mind being washed so often, and some do. The key is to do what works best for you and your hair.

If you're worried about damage, you could try CWC, oiling before a wash, or COwashing. Those will help protect your length from shampooing so often.

divinedobbie
September 28th, 2014, 12:07 PM
The longest I was able to stretch was three days but I was miserable doing it. I was paranoid of damage so I kept it up. Then I started shedding like crazy and I thought it was due to stretching washes (would shed the most on third day) so switched to every second day. It didn't stop the shedding (by much) but I was so much happier. Since about a week ago I went to daily washing and I finally feel comfortable with myself. I tried stretching for a year and just couldn't do it. I use very gentle shampoos and I might switch and alternate with cowashing so it's even gentler.I've learned not to be so obsessive over damage, if this works for me, I'll do it.

sunnylove
September 28th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Thank you! Yeah, stretching washes just does not work for me. I washed yesterday and I'm oily today and my scalp itches and my hair just looks awful. I do CWC thanks to this site, and it's done wonders for my bleach damaged hair!

sarathar
September 28th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I say do whatever that makes you more comfortable about yourself but if you start to question if it's good or not to your body then it means nothing more than your body sending you signals to really analyse what you're doing, which you are doing right now and it's great. I really hope you find the best solution for yourself. :)

Hopeful65
September 28th, 2014, 12:39 PM
I wash mine every day. I love fresh washed hair. Mine is real fine, so if it gets greasy it is just limp and icky to me, so keeping it clean is how I achieve fluffiness. I'm not trying for mega long hair. I'm an inch from waist, which is my goal. I trim monthly, or sometimes skipping a month. Of course there are some days when I don't wash my hair out of laziness, and that's ok too. I just put it up.
I also wear it down most of the time. I'd say 90% of the time.

sunnylove
September 28th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Thanks Hopeful. My hair is finally recovering from two years of bulimia followed by pregnancy, so I want to keep it healthy, but I cannot handle the limp greasiness every other day. It's only just past my neck, so I have a long way to go (I'd like tailbone).

Zesty
September 28th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I tried to stretch washes to every three days for maybe two years and it never really adjusted. I felt self-conscious about it and I think it contributed to me getting frustrated enough with my hair to cut it short last year. I wash every other day now and I'm perfectly comfortable with that. I'd ideally like to wash once a week, but it's not a perfect world. Do what YOU are comfortable with.

(And if you hate how long it takes your hair to dry as it gets longer, then do scalp washes so you don't wash your length as often. Things I wish I could have told myself a year ago! Haha.)

I'm also sorry to hear about the bulimia, I hope you're doing better now!

sarahthegemini
September 28th, 2014, 02:31 PM
My scalp and roots get super greasy. I hate how my hair looks in between washes (I wash it every other day). Would it hurt my hair that much to wash every day? And yes, I've tried to 'train' my scalp for three years to produce less oil and it hasn't worked at all. So can I just give in and wash it every day?

You don't need to feel guilty for washing daily, if that's what you and your hair want!

Cania
September 28th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Don't feel guilty about it, wash it as often as you need to make you feel your best :)

How long is your hair? I will say that at waist washing my hair daily would have been fine, but at TBL I absolutely hate waiting for my hair to dry. It stays wet for too long and takes too long to blow dry for it to be practical, but I imagine with thinner hair it might not be so awkward. It's all just personal preference.

lapushka
September 28th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Some people just can't stretch washes. And length comes into play once again. When my hair was pixie length, I needed 2 to 3 washes a week. Now that it's almost TBL I can go a week! Big difference. At BSL I still needed the more frequent washes. So grow it out to a longer length, then try again (if you're not there already).

sunnylove
September 28th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info, everyone! I don't know the correct term, but my hair is just past my collarbone. On the days I don't wash my hair the only way it looks okay is in a ponytail with a giant stretchy headband covering the roots...I like to look a little more stylish then that! Haha. When I had waist length hair a few years ago I washed every day and my hair did fine. I just have read so many things about shampoo being damaging, try to stretch washes, etc, it made me nervous. But I just washed my hair and feel so much better, thank you all!