PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on this braided hairstyle!

Vanilla
September 28th, 2014, 10:41 AM
I've got my brother's wedding in a week and I am trying to do this hairstyle of the braided half down by Lilith moon. When I'm starting the Dutch braid, I'm having some trouble bringing it over the top of my head. As I'm braiding my left side, I keep on braiding it back, not over. Maybe it's my part that's the problem?

Can anyone give me any tips?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LZkyq9iBBj4

bexcalo
September 28th, 2014, 11:30 AM
do you mean that you end up braiding down? I think keeping in tightish to the head will help with it
Maybe try doing a diagonal full dutch braid a few times just to get the feel of going in the right direction

Vanilla
September 28th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Hanks for the tip! I might try to do this one without a mirror first as well, to help my fingers feel for the right direction as well.

Madora
September 28th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Hanks for the tip! I might try to do this one without a mirror first as well, to help my fingers feel for the right direction as well.

This might sound silly but here goes:
1) Detangle and then comb all your hair back, away from your face.
2) Section off a small portion of hair at the front hairline (next to the corner of your eye). Divide in 3 sections
3) Make ONE crossover
4) Then Lace braid the next section of hair, being careful to hold your hands UP and back on an angle. Keep your fingers as close to your scalp as you can manage. When braiding, try to hold the strands tautly (but gently!) Hold them UP.
5) Work across your head, trying to visualize each section of hair that is coming down from the back of your head (like this: lllll)
6) Hold the fingers close to your scalp and add each section of hair, keeping in mind the way the strands fall from the back of your head. You want to add in sections as vertically as possible! You don't want to go off track ..like this: ///
7) When you get to the edge of the head, tighten the braid ever so slightly so that the curve crossover is anchored a bit.
8) Now continue lace braiding, doing it loosely.

Hope this helps. It is a very lovely style. Good luck!

Vanilla
September 29th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks Madora! I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. My braid is now starting to arc across my head (though in the front it doesn't look so great). I'll continue practicing this week and hopefully I'll have it down by Saturday.