PDA

View Full Version : noticing people's hair growth

Ricky22
September 23rd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Hey theres something I've been noticing alot about myself, like at school I find myself noticing peoples hair alot, like over the gradual weeks and months that go by I'll I guess you could say watch and see how much their hair grows and look at the growth rate, lol yeah I'm nosy, do you all ever find yourself doing this sometimes too?

Ricky22
September 23rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
lol yeah I know it sounds crazy

SHELIAANN1969
September 23rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
No Ricky, it doesn't sound crazy....I do it ALL the time!!

You are now officially obsessed!! Welcome to Obsession....:D

Ricky22
September 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
lol nooooo I REFUSE to call it an obsession :D

Magicknthenight
September 23rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
haha yea I do that. One of the first things i look at on a person is their hair. :p
I enjoy it though :D

dorothea-brooke
September 23rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Me too, definitely. Especially folks whose hair is around the same length as mine -- I'm always noticing who's winning the "race" (even if they haven't told me they're growing, and it's all in my head! :silly:).

FrannyG
September 23rd, 2008, 09:01 PM

Ah, denial can be such a soothing thing, Ricky. :)

I don't so much notice people's growth, but I do tend to hairtype people since joining LHC. :laugh:

spidermom
September 23rd, 2008, 09:08 PM
I've done this for so long, I can't even remember when it started. I'd get disappointed when someone I had been watching would show up with a new haircut. It's like "back to square one; drats!"

Ricky22
September 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM

I don't so much notice people's growth, but I do tend to hairtype people since joining LHC. :laugh:

lol I'm not in denial!!

grrrrrrrr :D :mad:

Tressie
September 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Laughing out loud! Yes, we are a tad into hair, aren't we??? As someone said in another similar thread, when you see a long haired person, you can't help wondering if they are a member of LHC! It would be so cool, to meet someone who turned out to be a regular poster here! (o:

Gumball
September 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Haha another person sometimes guilty of that here. We're members here for a reason! It's something a lot of us just can't help but notice. Enjoy the fact you have yet another thing in your life to keep occupied with. :D

Juneii
September 23rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Ricky!! Hi :]

yes, I noticed that after promising myself to lay off the hair straightener and grow out my hair once I joined LHC I've been obsessively looking at people's hair. it's really bad actually, I would look at my friend's hair and compare it to mine >___< they have no idea though so I haven't been labeled as a stalker yet ahaha

PeaceWithTrees
September 23rd, 2008, 10:37 PM
Yeah.....Unfortunatly I became obessesed 2 years ago, It started off being just, you know, a goal.....then it quickly became something that I thought about all the time. It started kind of normal, just washing my hair with more care and handleing it better, but then I started noticeing other girls' long hair, and the rest, it has become more than a goal, it is now officially an obssesion, Im glad to not be obessesed all by myself....:bigeyes: MuST....Groo0oW ........HAiR!!!!!!!:bowtome:

Honey39
September 24th, 2008, 12:08 AM
There's a girl I work with who has the most beautiful hair I have ever seen in my life - it's incredibly thick, and black (black hair is so rare!) and has this sheen on it that's unbelievable. Incredibly straight too. She doesn't like it, and keeps it in unflattering bowl crop, because "it's too heavy" when it gets to her shoulders. So I notice when it grows slightly, and then it's cropped back to the pudding basin look!

I know, it's her hair etc, but honestly, I have never seen such beautiful hair. I did ask her once had she considered growing it because it was so gorgeous, but no more than that, lol.

Shanarana
September 24th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I'm always checking out hair at my job. I hair type them and have them all categorized. It's a hard job, but someone has to do it. :)

Arctic_Mama
September 24th, 2008, 01:45 AM
It's purple dodge syndrome. Now that I am focusing on hair health and growth I am seeing it everywhere and it's the first thing I notice, whereas before it was barely a passing mental note if someone had unusually pretty hair.

mortiziia
September 24th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I do this all the time, bur hey I'd never thought of it as an obsession - I've always been keen on others' hair, way before I even knew what "cone" or "BSL" was (which admittedly only happened a few days ago! I thought cone was short for conditioner and BSL was the British Sign Language to me :D). So certainly being observant with other people's hair is not limited to haircare addicts!

30isthenewblack
September 24th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I definitely look at other people's hair and how much it's grown. I was looking at an advertisement where the model had long hair & I didn't even realise it was a lingere advertisement. Must have looked a bit strange!

Yeesha
September 24th, 2008, 03:47 AM
I do it too...^^
And I see much more long hair now, that I'm hair-crazy...^^In the past I didn't notice it, but now I see it everywhere... And always hair, that's longer than mine... *sniff*

Ricky22
September 24th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Ricky!! Hi :]

yes, I noticed that after promising myself to lay off the hair straightener and grow out my hair once I joined LHC I've been obsessively looking at people's hair. it's really bad actually, I would look at my friend's hair and compare it to mine >___< they have no idea though so I haven't been labeled as a stalker yet ahaha

lol I take it your friend has the exact same hair texture as you?

ClareDee
September 24th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I do this occasionally now...
A friend of mine who always had longer hair than me recently had hers cut to a little shorter than mine is.
Before joining this place and starting my "quest", I would have just thought "Oh, nice cut" and nothing else. But because of my new interest... I got this slight feeling of ridiculous triumph: "Now I'm the longest. Mwahahaha!"

:p

FrannyG
September 24th, 2008, 06:26 AM
lol I'm not in denial!!

Oh, Ricardo. :shake:

:rollin:

I'm always checking out hair at my job. I hair type them and have them all categorized. It's a hard job, but someone has to do it. :)

Exactly!!! :)

SHELIAANN1969
September 24th, 2008, 06:36 AM

haha, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck---it must be a duck! :cheese:

so so true!! ;)

lol I'm not in denial!!

Ricky, the first step is admitting you have an obsession!! lol :D

You are now the offical "Hair typing Ambassador" :cool: :D

Honigwein
September 24th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I can tell you one of the many reasons that made me come closer to marry my husband was his beautiful hair... puff!

LaurelSpring
September 24th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I definately notice. I ran into a woman at a restaurant that I knew from a church that I had attended awhile bak. I dont even know her name, I knew her by her hair. She had beautiful long waist length white hair. When I saw her this weekend at the restaurant she had cut it into a layered above shoulder length style and I was so upset I could have cried.
Isnt that crazy?

I also notice people's hair at work.

Jean_Grey
September 24th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Ha, me too. Now he's bald. :(

I adore hair, and make sure to compliment people with lovely hair. Especially those friends of mine who obsessively straighten, and then have a rushed (aka "bad") hair day, and I can see the actual texture of their hair! They always look at me strangely when I compliment them, like I'm just taking pity on them for having a bad day. :) Of course, if they like their hair straighter, I'm cool with that too, I just know that I have had so much self-consciousness for having unruly hair that it would have been nicer to hear those kinds of things myself. I could have saved my hair a lot of frying over the years.

ChloeDharma
September 24th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Oh i definately notice peoples hair, i always have done.....growing up in a household of hairdressers, then being one, i thought leaving that i might calm down a bit but no....i hairtype people, try to work out what chemical processes they have done, work out what styling methods they use. I also look at peoples scalps if i'm up close enough, especially if there seems to be any thinning....the temptation to give advice is so hard to resist i can't even describe!
One time, i saw a girl with my natural colour, same thickness and similar texture as me walking up the local high street....but hers was trimmed at classic length but was very thin in taper by the time it reached there....i was still blown away by how lovely it looked and because i wanted to really take in the details for inspiration i made my dad who was with me at the time literally chase her up the high street with me while i was going "OMG! ooooh! Look at her hair!..." I'm so glad i somehow managed not to be noticed by her because we must have looked so dodgy at the time!
Oh the other thing i find, especially in queues or on the bus is i tend to really look at peoples ends (that includes layers ends etc) and look for splits.....which is so bad because i normally have hair scissors on me and so the compulsion to sneak my scissors out and snip them off is torture!
And, just to make myself sound even more mental, i also find myself investing my energy in the hair of those around me.....one sister in particular i find myself asking for length updates, what treatments she's done, if she's remembering to oil....etc. Though it's ok because she loves it and encourages me by asking for new ideas and even phones me after a DT has been particularly successful to tell me about it. Wow reading that i really am quite sad! :p

sky
September 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM
We really should get around to creating a little pin or something, so we'd recognize each other in person.

Maybe a teensy hair brush or some such!

LOL

SHELIAANN1969
September 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM
We really should get around to creating a little pin or something, so we'd recognize each other in person.

LOL

You have Tabithas avatar!! It took me a minute to realize it was a different user.

DarkChocolate
September 24th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I do this too:)
I notice things about people's hair all of the time and am now able to talk at length about how to take care of it and look for split ends and such:)

jojo
September 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I do this all the time and I also know other people do this who are not as obsessed as us!

Its normal .

xrosiex
September 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I do this all the time. A girl I work with has amazing hair. It seems effortless for her to grow and grow. It was waist length. She came into work last week and she had shaved half of it off :agape: It's now long in front and gone in the back. Her bangs are chin length. She said she just felt like being different. And different she is.:)

EvaSimone
September 24th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Yep I am a hair watcher... It's usually really bad for me if someone has gorgeous hair or if someone has hair that is in terrible condition. I either want to talk to them about their hair or be like "Give it more moisture!!! It's too dry! Oh and stop ripping through it with your plastic brush!" :lol:

Juneii
September 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM
lol I take it your friend has the exact same hair texture as you?

yup, but she dyes and highlights it. makes me a bit sad because her hair is so long

Ricky22
September 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM
yup, but she dyes and highlights it. makes me a bit sad because her hair is so long

well how long is yours now?

RavennaNight
September 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Oh boy. I dont even want to go there. I'm always looking! I'm constantly checking out hair. Is it natural? I wonder if she uses cones? Oh no! Why did she cut it all off!? Does she henna or dye? The worst one is when someone with really long hair cuts. For some strange reason, before I found LHC, before I made a concerted effort to grow, even as a teen, when someone cut their hair really short, I'd ask "why?" It never made sense, since I have gone short myself a few times in my life.

Addy
September 24th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I've had fun watching my pregnant co-worker's hair grow.

I'll admit it! I love hair! There's no shame in my game! :D

*BelievingAgain
September 24th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I've done this for so long, I can't even remember when it started. I'd get disappointed when someone I had been watching would show up with a new haircut. It's like "back to square one; drats!"

I'm the same! There's two sisters that work next door to my work, they both had really, really healthy tailbone-length hair, they both went and had quite large chops the other day, I was like (in my head), "Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Don't you know you're my hairspiration??" Lol. No, not weird at all. :D :flower:

Beatnik Guy
September 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Notice people's hair? No.
OK, all the time. :frog:

kittymomma
September 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Oh yeah. ALL the time. I have total hair envy because mine is so thin...and most of the hair I envy here in town (aside from on this forum) is MALE hair!

Tangles
September 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
This is weird, but I don't usually notice unless it's a) a family member, b) a classmate/friend with really pretty hair that I've been watching closely, or c) a guy whose hair has gotten "overgrown" and messy looking (you know, awkward stage between short and long).

angelthadiva
September 24th, 2008, 09:02 PM
lol I'm not in denial!!

Psssssssssssst! Denial is a river in Egypt! :spitting:

I do the same thing! There are so many I just want to take over their hair and save the hairs from all the abuse.

It's purple dodge syndrome. Now that I am focusing on hair health and growth I am seeing it everywhere and it's the first thing I notice, whereas before it was barely a passing mental note if someone had unusually pretty hair.

I always admired a lovely head of hair, but now I'm much more aware of it when I see it. Sadly, I'm seeing way more flat ironed and bleached w/in an inch of the poor hairs life...Then they wonder why their hair falls out in clumps?! :rolleyes:

LOL

Somebody was talking about a secret hand shake or gesture a while back, not sure what the status is on that...Someone also mentioned code words like cheese or cones?! :D

You have Tabithas avatar!! It took me a minute to realize it was a different user.

BFF, you totally saved me there...I thought the user was Tabitha...Whoa! :eyebrows:

Ricky22
September 24th, 2008, 09:07 PM
lol I don't know the meaning of the word DENIAL!

just kidding just kidding

Vivien'
September 25th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Oh ! I thought I was the only one, too :p
All the time. I especially notice it on men (because I'm a man and long hair is more common on women, I suppose). It also disappoint me a lot when someone suddenly cut his hair. Too common these last weeks, by the way [sigh]

LadyMoon11
September 25th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I always look at people's hair. I love to study the color, try and hair-type them, guess what type of styling they may or may not do to their hair, etc. I do also watch to see if a favorite longhair has decided to trim, cut or grow.
I think of it as a nice pastime. :D

Honigwein
September 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM
ÊEE!! I am normal!!! :D:cheese: I even thought I was not normal after I wrote a poem about a beloved person´s hair. if i won´t feel shy maybe one day I can translate it and publish it in here.