PDA

View Full Version : Good Karma

DweamGoiL
September 25th, 2014, 03:20 PM
I didn't know where this post should go, but it's hair related so I stuck it here :)

Basically, in July, my family and I went to Hershey Park in PA. After the park day, we went to visit the Amish, but because it was Sunday, most of the stores were closed although we did get to see some families on the highway and some horse and buggies. So while the rest of my family was curious about Amish culture, I was secretly on the hunt for Amish pins. I had heard so much about them and have wanted to try them for so long since so many LHC'ers swear by them. As luck would have it, I didn't find any :( But, we did stop in this adorable shop were they sold Shoofly Pie. Got one of those and started chatting up the nice lady behind the counter. In passing, I mentioned that I was disappointed I could not find the pins and asked if they had any in the shop. She told me she didn't carry them, but she asked me to leave my name and address and she would send me some and a bill for whatever she was out of pocket. She was so nice and I didn't want to say no and risk offending her so I wrote down my info. Honestly, I didn't t really think I would hear from her again, but it was a very nice gesture.

So now it's been how long? Totally forgot this ever even happened. I got home last night, and wouldn't you know it, I got a suspicious looking padded envelope with no sender name on it. I squeezed it and felt it up trying to figure out what it was, and then finally decided to open it. It was a pack of Amish pins and a card from the place she got it from with a nice little note. It's funny because yesterday was a really crappy day at work. I was so upset on my way home, and that just made my day. It was so super sweet for a total stranger to do something so nice for me!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pFWne_Oh1w8/UcITeXX6vCI/AAAAAAAAD5M/BLGkVNYw0VQ/s1600/snlverklempt.jpg

gthlvrmx
September 25th, 2014, 03:45 PM
That was very nice of her to get you the pins! Do they work well? I've never seen any myself.

LongCurlyTress
September 26th, 2014, 07:05 AM
I just purchased 3 packs of the 3 inch straight Amish hairpins from Mennonite Maidens. They have a website but also have an Etsy shop. Excellent customer service. My 1st order never arrived, so I called them and they shipped out another order the same day! I did get that order a couple of days later. Highly recommend Mennonite Maidens. No need to travel to Penn. ever again (for Amish hairpins!! ;):joy:

DweamGoiL
September 26th, 2014, 07:05 AM
That was very nice of her to get you the pins! Do they work well? I've never seen any myself.

I haven't tried them yet but the concensus is they last forever and will hold any updo despite how heavy your hair may be. They are definitely thicker than standard U shaped pins, but I will give you mote feedback once I try them :)

Chiaroscuro
September 26th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Yes, feedback, please. Particularly, they don't fall out despite being straight? And, you don't mind the steel color against your rich brown hair color? I, too, am on a perpetual search for the perfect metal pin. I just bought ballet pins in brown (Capezio Women's 3" Comfort Super Heavyweight Hairpins found on Amazon) but the ends aren't rounded so I hear a little crunching going in.:( My favorite so far are these types: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beadable-Hair-Pins-Silver-Plated-5-Loops-956-12-Hair-Stick-/301295962882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4626a38b02
The ones I bought come only in gold and silver color; they are very well finished so they don't catch any hair. However, they are meant to be beaded so the loops tend to add fanciness, and the gold/silver stands out, which can be good or bad...

DweamGoiL
September 26th, 2014, 08:49 AM
My favorite so far are these types: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beadable-Hair-Pins-Silver-Plated-5-Loops-956-12-Hair-Stick-/301295962882?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4626a38b02
The ones I bought come only in gold and silver color; they are very well finished so they don't catch any hair. However, they are meant to be beaded so the loops tend to add fanciness, and the gold/silver stands out, which can be good or bad...

Interesting...I actually have a few packs of these at home. I started experimenting with beading them and finished 2 of them in my last coupleof RAOK's. I tend to make things and give them away and then move onto something else so I can't speak from experience how they work out. I didn't get mine from Ebay, but they are exactly the same. For the most part, I use the smaller size black coated U shaped pins you get at the local beauty supply, but you do make a good point as far as the color and being able to hide the pin in dark hair instead of having it boldly show. I didn't even think of that :)

Aime33
September 26th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Definitely good hair karma :) When you are generous and kind, you are generally treated generously and kindly :)

Chiaroscuro
September 26th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Oh well, I missed the point of the thread. You brought a lot of joy into my day by sharing that a total stranger worked really hard to make a connection with you. In this day and age, making the human connection takes purposeful effort. Really uplifting that you were willing to voice what you wanted, she was willing to offer, you were willing to share your coordinates, and she was willing to go to the trouble of follow-through. It takes TWO willing to open up to make a connection--applause to both of you!

Federica
September 27th, 2014, 02:36 AM
Awww, it's so nice when something unexpected and positive happens from a stranger! Most of all if hair related!

Johannah
September 27th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Such a nice gesture! I'm happy for you!

Gertrude
September 28th, 2014, 10:55 AM
What a lovely gesture, and what a lovely thread (-: It's wonderful you got this surprise. Good Karma indeed.

On the Amish pins, I have very fine slippery hair and the straight Amish pins do not hold on me at all. Just fall out. The wavy Amish pins are duplicates of the old hair pins I inherited, thick steel with rounded ends. They hold on me like a rock.

I used them like mini hair forks really, as in I squeeze the pin before I put it in my bun, then place it so I gentle pivot it into place, still squeezing and then release so the pin opens up. And that holds and holds.