PDA

View Full Version : Menopause and Oily Scalp - Does It Get Better?

UP Lisa
September 25th, 2014, 05:40 AM
I've had an oily scalp since I was a teenager, and I'm wondering if there is any hope of it getting better after menopause? I'm not there yet, but it's getting close. I'm so tired of dealing with oiliness! Has anyone had it get better?

lapushka
September 25th, 2014, 08:25 AM
My mom has had dry scalp for her entire life, that stayed the same through menopause. She can go a month without a wash, and still there'd be no hint of sebum. She usually washes a bit before that, due to product build up (mainly hairspray).

proo
September 25th, 2014, 08:37 AM
My sebum slowed waaay down from NW/SO.
And I'm 55, went through my menopause at 48,
so 5years of post-menopause oiliness before NW/SO.
I'm convinced now products caused it.

UP Lisa
September 25th, 2014, 08:57 AM
My mom has had dry scalp for her entire life, that stayed the same through menopause. She can go a month without a wash, and still there'd be no hint of sebum. She usually washes a bit before that, due to product build up (mainly hairspray).

My Mother has never had oily hair, either. Apparently I took after my Dad, who still had it at 87. So I don't know if there's much hope for me getting over it.

lunalocks
September 25th, 2014, 11:03 AM
For me EVERYTHING got dryer after menopause. I am fine, now with washing twice a week, or even once, and I remember washing much more frequently years ago. But my hair was shorter too (mid back to BSL compared to TB now) and I have also stopped using conditioner after washing.

Carolyn
September 25th, 2014, 03:00 PM
No I'm still oily, both my face and my scalp. Remember that oily skin is supposed to not get as many wrinkles are dry skin. I'll take the oiliness over more lines on my face any day.

UP Lisa
September 25th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Well, I guess everyone's body is different. Time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath.

spidermom
September 25th, 2014, 06:43 PM
I'm not as oily as I used to be.

hanne jensen
September 26th, 2014, 12:34 AM
My oiliness has been the same.