PDA

View Full Version : Potato water

Knifegill
September 25th, 2014, 12:14 AM
http://hair.allwomenstalk.com/natural-remedies-to-make-your-hair-grow-faster/8/

For lolz

hanne jensen
September 25th, 2014, 12:24 AM
I might drink the potato water, but wouldn't put it on my head.

mz_butterfly
September 25th, 2014, 12:53 AM
I imagine it would be very gunky and sticky. It also adds a whole new meaning to "Mr or Mrs Potato Head"

GetMeToWaist
September 25th, 2014, 10:15 AM
lol each to their own ^_^

Eastbound&Down
September 25th, 2014, 10:28 AM
I'm doing a 6 week coffee mask experiment right now but after that's done I would probably give this a try. What's it going to hurt? Lord knows I've put weirder things on my hair in the name of health and growth!:joy:

sarathar
September 25th, 2014, 10:34 AM
This method is really old actually, my grandmother told me about this. I've never tried it myself but I can totally understand where the benefits of it come and who knows maybe I'll try it one day myself too. :)

Chromis
September 25th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Ah, this one again! It comes around every so often :lol:

Catatafish
September 25th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Is potato water just the water left over from boiling potatoes? I sometimes use that for soup, is that odd? Sure, why would you waste the goodness of the potato?!

DreamSheep
September 25th, 2014, 12:03 PM
I accidentally dipped my ends in some gravy today at lunch. Verdict: not nice. :p

Eastbound&Down
September 25th, 2014, 01:30 PM
We really do need a "like" button for this site haha

ladonna
September 25th, 2014, 03:59 PM
Would potato water turn hair blue? Maybe it would make a good toner?;)

gthlvrmx
September 25th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Potato water? I've never heard of that one!

meteor
September 25th, 2014, 04:33 PM
My short answer is "I don't know", but I wouldn't be really surprised if it turned out to be beneficial. I've never seen any research into this, so I can't tell.
However, potato juice is rich in skin-friendly vitamins A, C, B, and it's known to be an old homemade "treatment" for skin lightening, softening, etc...
Also, don't forget about rice water and fermented rice water being extremely popular as an old-fashioned conditioner or rinse in Asia, as well as a skin moisturizer: http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/433572-ancient-hair-care-rice-water-shampoo/

So I have no clue, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'd love to see some research into this, as well as many other natural products... :)

FallingDarkness
September 25th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Would that actually work...? :/
Or even benefit the hair?

chen bao jun
September 25th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Russian/Polish/Ukrainian women do this, and use burdock oil and wash in rye bread crumbs--I wouldn't laugh at anything they do traditionally as they have amazing hair. maybe its genetic, but just in case, I've been using the burdock oil. Don't know if it works but my hair is even thicker than it was with this mixed with castor oil (increased thickness was not my goal, I just want more length but its happened anyway). I might try this one. On the other hand, the bread crumb washing is probably not for me, I used a banana for a hair mask once and couldn't get it out of my hair for days, since then I avoid solid food in the head area.

Panth
September 26th, 2014, 12:56 AM
Potato water is just starch water with maybe some vitamins/minerals from the potatoes (if they haven't been destroyed by the boiling process, in the case of vitamins).

It's touted as good for the skin, probably primarily because the starch means that as it dries it pulls the skin slightly tighter, causing somewhat of a smoothing effect. It's not going to do that for hair.

Vitamins and minerals in general are fairly useless as topical applications, so that aspect won't help much either. You'd be much better off to ensure you are consuming adequate vitamins and minerals, preferably through a healthy, varied diet rather than supplementation (which should be a back-up / last recourse, not a patch for a bad diet).

maria_asa
September 26th, 2014, 03:58 AM
Potato water is just starch water with maybe some vitamins/minerals from the potatoes (if they haven't been destroyed by the boiling process, in the case of vitamins).

It's touted as good for the skin, probably primarily because the starch means that as it dries it pulls the skin slightly tighter, causing somewhat of a smoothing effect. It's not going to do that for hair.

Vitamins and minerals in general are fairly useless as topical applications, so that aspect won't help much either. You'd be much better off to ensure you are consuming adequate vitamins and minerals, preferably through a healthy, varied diet rather than supplementation (which should be a back-up / last recourse, not a patch for a bad diet).

These are my thoughts exactly.

Plus, I can only imagine the tangles I would get from putting strachy water in my hair. shudder: