PDA

View Full Version : I need help

Baby_doll
September 24th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure if this is where I pose this question or if there's a different place, but I need advice on what could be causing my hair to grow so slow. When I was like 11 it used to grow like a inch a month, now that I'm 16 I'm lucky if it grows a inch in 6 months. I have a decent hair routine. I wash 1-2 times a week with mane and tale or suaves sleek, I deep condition once a week though sometimes I skip. I use a damage erasing balm once a month (it has A LOT of protein.) I moisturize my hair at least every other day. I also use coconut and olive oil after I moisturize. And I braid my hair up at night. So what could be hindering its growth??? I mean I only ever use heat every like 3 months and when I do it's a heat protectant.

Madora
September 24th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Ditch the heat! That is a major culprit for creating damaged hair.

What is your diet like? Do you eat sensibly? Get enough water? Exercise moderately?

Lay off on conditioners and moisturizers! Do it once a month! You don't want to weigh your hair down.

Hair only grows so much per month..and that can vary widely.

Try daily gentle scalp massage in the bent at the waist position to encourage sluggish hair follicles.

Be sure and detangle gently, with a wide tooth comb. Daily brushing with a bbb can yield wonders when it comes to healthy hair.

Ease off on the protein stuff. Instead, EAT protein.

Be patient! Learn how to do hairstyles so you won't become bored with your hair. Check out Torrin Paige's vid tutorials on You Tube!

Hair grows at faster/slower speeds during different stages of life. It also grows faster/slower in different months.

Keep your hair trimmed slightly (once every 4 months). Do S and D every week, with SHARP SHEARS.

Wear a silk cap, or use a silk pillow case cover to protect your hair at night. Wearing your hair in a braid is a good idea.

Wash your hair when it needs it! Once a week is usually enough, unless you have an oily scalp..or work in a dusty environment.

Remember: Less is more! Good luck!

Baby_doll
September 24th, 2014, 08:25 PM
I eat we'll and even started taking hair skin and nails gummy vitamins. I only use the heat when it's a special occasion, and I moisturize my hair so much cuz it's insanely dry. I don't excerise a lot but I do spend a lot of my time walking and standing. I also use a silk pillow case already. Thanks for the advice!

Madora
September 24th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Walking is good! Your hair will thank you for that silk pillowcase!

But remember, supplements do not take the place of nutritious meals. Food is what nourishes hair. I found out that fact the hard way..and nearly died because of it. Eat sensibly.

You might want to look into using Mineral Oil (baby oil) to moisturize your hair. It is very lightweight, has no after scent, helps tame frizzies, and moisturizes. You only use a drop or two, and the oil is always put in your hands, never directly from bottle to hair. Just smear the MO on your palms and fingers, then run your hands through your hair several times until the oil sheen has almost disappeared from your hands. Washes out easily in the next shampoo

Works best on hair that has been clarified first, but you can put it on DAMP hair as well. I use 4 drops as a detangler. It is also dead cheap! A bottle will last forever!

darklyndsea
September 24th, 2014, 10:32 PM
Are you eating healthy, especially getting enough protein?

Do you get your hair trimmed?

Knifegill
September 24th, 2014, 11:05 PM
Eating more and engaging in daily exercise (even a quick jog across your lawn!) will increase your cellular turnover rate and cause your hair and nails to grow a lot faster. I use bicycling because I had a great time in my teens with it.

And definitely get a little more protein than you think you need. It will still probably be less than you need! Do you use a nutritional calculator? Try Fitday or similar, they are game changers all the way. Protein aside, total caloric intake should also be high to encourage growth.

YvetteVarie
September 25th, 2014, 12:25 AM
What's your hair type? Some of the advice does differ with hair type. For example, if you have very tight curls like me, combing actually leads to breakage. Use a wide tooth comb, or just finger detangle. If you do use a wide tooth comb, don't use it too much.

Also is your hair fine, medium or coarse? Is your hair low or high porosity? Answering these questions will lead you to threads with people with hair similar to yours and you can get advice that is much more tailor made to your hair. Hope this helps :)

Phexlyn
September 25th, 2014, 01:57 AM
I agree we need to know more about your hair texture. Do you get your hair trimmed regularly or is it just growing? Maybe your ends are breaking off because they are too weak or your stylist is cutting off too much.

Do you measure your hair? I suggest that you start measuring every month and thereby keep track of how much your hair really grows. If you have wavy or curly hair, sometimes the curl eats up all the growth and you just think it isn't getting longer (which is again why we need to know your hair type).

LadyCelestina
September 25th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Any chance you just sort of ,grew up taller since you were 11?Do you measure that inch in 6months on a tape or just guesstimate it?

lapushka
September 25th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Do you get your hair trimmed?

Yes this! ^^ If you are getting trims every 6 to 8 weeks, "as you should" (no you don't) then no wonder.

Baby_doll
September 25th, 2014, 08:55 PM
I don't trim my hair often. I tend to just go through section by section and snip split ends and damaged parts. I only ever get a real trim once or twice a year and that's just to even it out at the ends. I'm not sure my porosity but my hair is thin but looks thick because it fuzzes out a little but its straight and very dry. I don't excerise often but I walk a lot and am constantly going up and down the stairs. I've only been measuring so far by pulling it down on my body and seeing the ends. When I was 11 it went from neck length to arm pit length in one summer. And I wasn't much shorter than I am now (5"2) I eat a lot of protein. And drink about 60 oz of water (I know cuz I only drink it out of my water bottle and I drink about 4 of those a day) brushing my hair I start out with a wide tooth comb then go to my wet brush to smooth down the fuzzies alittke.

elsieivy
September 25th, 2014, 09:28 PM
I don't trim my hair often. I tend to just go through section by section and snip split ends and damaged parts. I only ever get a real trim once or twice a year and that's just to even it out at the ends. I'm not sure my porosity but my hair is thin but looks thick because it fuzzes out a little but its straight and very dry. I don't excerise often but I walk a lot and am constantly going up and down the stairs. I've only been measuring so far by pulling it down on my body and seeing the ends. When I was 11 it went from neck length to arm pit length in one summer. And I wasn't much shorter than I am now (5"2) I eat a lot of protein. And drink about 60 oz of water (I know cuz I only drink it out of my water bottle and I drink about 4 of those a day) brushing my hair I start out with a wide tooth comb then go to my wet brush to smooth down the fuzzies alittke.

Are you able to tell if your hair is literally not growing or if it is just breaking off a lot causing it to stay the same length? Do your ends look healthy or are there a lot of splits?

Baby_doll
September 25th, 2014, 10:17 PM
My ends seem healthy when I go through and snip the splits there are only about 30 through my whole head. And when I find hair in my brush most all of it seems to be shed hair cuz it had the little white bulbs.

Wildcat Diva
September 25th, 2014, 10:55 PM
I mean, from what you are saying, nothing is jumping out at me. Maybe you are in a bit of a stall. It's so hard to wait, but please hang out here and time will tell. Maybe take progress pictures every three months and post them. I am shocked when I look back at mine from a year ago, and two years ago. Maybe you will notice some growth that way.

If you have wavy hair, it can take longer to see growth though.

Phexlyn
September 26th, 2014, 01:18 AM
I mean, from what you are saying, nothing is jumping out at me. Maybe you are in a bit of a stall. It's so hard to wait, but please hang out here and time will tell. Maybe take progress pictures every three months and post them. I am shocked when I look back at mine from a year ago, and two years ago. Maybe you will notice some growth that way.

If you have wavy hair, it can take longer to see growth though.
Sounds like a good plan to me, you don't seem to be doing anything wrong that should affect your growth rate in such a way.

Majorane
September 26th, 2014, 03:09 AM
I have no idea if things work like this, but since you're 16, your body is now very busy with developing and growing. Not heightwise per se, but you're still not a finished project. So, maybe your body is focussing on that more, and that leaves less energy etc for the hair? Can that be a possibility?

lapushka
September 26th, 2014, 04:36 AM
I have no idea if things work like this, but since you're 16, your body is now very busy with developing and growing. Not heightwise per se, but you're still not a finished project. So, maybe your body is focussing on that more, and that leaves less energy etc for the hair? Can that be a possibility?

I'd say that doesn't sound bad - at all! :)