PDA

View Full Version : Bio Hair Care routine question

TheBlondieDream
September 24th, 2014, 03:06 AM
Okay, first post ever. I apologize if there was another thread about and for any kind of mistake i'll make writing in english, as it's not my motherlanguage:
Here in italy, it's really popular to switch to a completely Bio haircare routine and putting a lot of care in controlling ingredients of shampoos, conditioners and so on.
I decided to give it a try, like a week ago, switching to a shampoo/ conditioner and leave in wich are "acceptable" (girls here told not to switch to a completely Bio haircare without a transition period) and since then, i noticed my hair (already thin -hypothyroidism fault i guess-) becoming much thinner and prone to breakage even if i only use a wide tooth comb (ok, not a good one, i had it in a mall not putting much attention to seams or whatsoever) and try to be as gentle as i can.
Someone here has had the same experience? Any piece of advice?

lapushka
September 24th, 2014, 06:49 AM
The only piece of advice that I can give you is stick to what works for your hair. It doesn't *have* to be bio, surely, and most assuredly if it doesn't work for you! The important thing is to do what your hair wants not what *you* want!

TheBlondieDream
September 24th, 2014, 07:20 AM
The only piece of advice that I can give you is stick to what works for your hair. It doesn't *have* to be bio, surely, and most assuredly if it doesn't work for you! The important thing is to do what your hair wants not what *you* want!

Thanks for your advice, hun, fact is that i don't really know what works for my hair...i'm merely going by guessing by now

MsPharaohMoan
September 24th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Is your hair noticeably thinner or is this just anxiety? Have you been shedding more than usual lately? How is your scalp reacting to the change in routine?

lapushka
September 24th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Thanks for your advice, hun, fact is that i don't really know what works for my hair...i'm merely going by guessing by now

Ow that's too bad. It's trial and error, especially at first, and this can be really tricky. The key is to try something else now. Maybe a regular shampoo would work for you, or you could always try CO-washing (especially if you have waves/curls).

UniqueWabbit
September 24th, 2014, 08:25 AM
No "like" button here. Anyways, I'm looking for hair care, too. What is Bio? Is that no cones or laureth sulfates?

TheBlondieDream
September 24th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Is your hair noticeably thinner or is this just anxiety? Have you been shedding more than usual lately? How is your scalp reacting to the change in routine?

I think it's not so noticeably, my bf didn't spotted any difference, except that they're softer now. I haven't been shedding more than usual, considering that i usually wear a bun like all day, every day (not a firm bun, but kinda a loose one, just to keed hairs up and away from my face). My scalp is reacting kinda good even if i feel a little itchy from now and then like if i have to wash my hairs. (usually on day 2/3) but nothing more.

Ow that's too bad. It's trial and error, especially at first, and this can be really tricky. The key is to try something else now. Maybe a regular shampoo would work for you, or you could always try CO-washing (especially if you have waves/curls).

I was indeed thinking about co-washing because i'm curly and i've read a lot about how good it seems to be on curls, maybe i will give it a shot, switching one of the 2 weekly Shampooo/Conditioner days to a CO-Wash day

No "like" button here. Anyways, I'm looking for hair care, too. What is Bio? Is that no cones or laureth sulfates?

Yeah, that it. Only natural things or things approved as Veg. (sorta...but i don't really know how to explain it)

Fira
September 24th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Here in italy, it's really popular to switch to a completely Bio haircare routine and putting a lot of care in controlling ingredients of shampoos, conditioners and so on.

It is the same where I live. ;) (And I live in a country next to Italy, so no wonder...)
I have had the same experience although I completely switched to organic etc. What I know or rather has worked for me is this: if you have hair dyed with a chemical color it is much more likely that organic or natural products are not going to work for you. Your hair may feel and look like straw and you may shed more hair. I have had this experience. What I did is I looked for and found other organic products that work better for me and I started to use conditioner on my length before I wash (so I put conditioner on, wash and condition). This has made a great difference with the same products. So it may be the method too, not only the products.
I also use plant (natural) hair colors (henna etc.) but I still have some previously chemically dyed hair.
You will have to try and find products that are good for you and a routine that works for you. (It takes some time... and money.) :)

TheBlondieDream
September 24th, 2014, 08:46 AM
It is the same where I live. ;) (And I live in a country next to Italy, so no wonder...)
I have had the same experience although I completely switched to organic etc. What I know or rather has worked for me is this: if you have hair dyed with a chemical color it is much more likely that organic or natural products are not going to work for you. Your hair may feel and look like straw and you may shed more hair. I have had this experience. What I did is I looked for and found other organic products that work better for me and I started to use conditioner on my length before I wash (so I put conditioner on, wash and condition). This has made a great difference with the same products. So it may be the method too, not only the products.
I also use plant (natural) hair colors (henna etc.) but I still have some previously chemically dyed hair.
You will have to try and find products that are good for you and a routine that works for you. (It takes some time... and money.) :)

Ohw thanks for sharing your experience, Fira! i was worried to be the one and only having this sort of troubles xD
I'll take your piece of advice and try and find the method and the products that fits me. As i was saying i'm gonna give a try to CO-Wash and see what happens.
have you ever heard about adding sugar to the conditioner for the co-washing? if it fails, i'll try your method XD LOL...experiments.

Fira
September 24th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I have not heard about adding sugar to the conditioner (or anything else to do with the washing). But I am not very familiar with the ways of the CO-washing method...
Personally I am contemplating trying to use the "no shampoo" washing method - sometime in the future (because I have no time for such an experiment right now and my scalp feels dirty and stinky after a week although the length of my hair is not oily or even dirty sometimes). If it was possible I would wash my scalp twice a week and my length every two weeks. But it is not - so the CWC helps with that. I might try CO-washing sometime too. :)

Fira
September 24th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I have not heard about adding sugar to the conditioner (or anything else to do with the washing). But I am not very familiar with the ways of the CO-washing method...
Personally I am contemplating trying to use the "no shampoo" washing method - sometime in the future (because I have no time for such an experiment right now and my scalp feels dirty and stinky after a week although the length of my hair is not oily or even dirty sometimes). If it was possible I would wash my scalp twice a week and my length every two weeks. But it is not - so the CWC helps with that. I might try CO-washing sometime too. :)

Fira
September 24th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Sorry for the double post. I don't know why this happened and I cannot edit yet. :o

lapushka
September 24th, 2014, 09:29 AM
have you ever heard about adding sugar to the conditioner for the co-washing? if it fails, i'll try your method XD LOL...experiments.

Try asking that question in the co-washing thread, much more likely you'll get an answer there.

TheBlondieDream
September 24th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Yeah i'm gonna do that as sono as i get home :)