PDA

View Full Version : Asymmetrical woes

tlang
September 23rd, 2014, 07:46 PM
I have a beautiful "bob" that is about chin length on one side and shoulder length on the other, I got this style to appease my husband who misses my SHORT SHORT hair (pixie cut over the ears clippers in back -Short). I thought if i "freshened up" my look he would like it. Neither of us do lol. I had it cut in June and have not touched it since, but now that one side is around my chin i'm debating cutting to even it up and just make a nice blunt bob... the disappointing thing though is that i REALLY love how my shoulder length hair looks now!! ah the woe of hair mistakes!!

Any advice? just let it keep growing? cut it? what next

molljo
September 23rd, 2014, 10:01 PM
I'd say grow it out. It'll take the same amount of time to grow from chin shoulder whether it's one side or both sides. At least with the growing out option you have a longer side of hair.

elsieivy
September 23rd, 2014, 10:05 PM
I'd trim your growth each month from the shoulder length sections while letting the shorter parts grow.

Santi
September 23rd, 2014, 10:25 PM
I'd wait for the cut & see how you feel in a few weeks. Last year I had a bob & now it's Apl. I intentionally cut it in the fall so that I can go into the winter months covering it up. I was able to put most of my hair in a bun by the time Spring arrived. Have you tried twisting or braiding the shorter side & pinning it up?

hanne jensen
September 24th, 2014, 01:24 AM
If it were me, I'd cut to one length and start over, but that's just me. I've had uneven hair before and I thought it was difficult to work with.

And, your Hubby could gradually get used to your longer hair.

pixldust
September 24th, 2014, 03:05 AM
I've been in a similar situation before and found it easier to cut it to one length. But unless you're 100% on board with the idea of cutting the longer side to chin length, I'd second elsieivy's suggestion of maintaining the shoulder length side while letting the other side catch up. And after doing this for a while, you may decide to cut anyway.

Lady Mary
September 24th, 2014, 08:37 AM
I would wait until I could get it all into a claw clip, then even it out, if it was me. Unless you really don't like the way it looks. You have to be happy with your appearance, you know? Either way it will grow back :)

UniqueWabbit
September 24th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I'd keep it like it is. Just love the longer part and let the other part stay. I believe with all my heart that if you cut the one side to match the other, you'll hate it. The shorter side won't match perfectly, then it'll be the "just one more tiny bit off to match" and it'll end up shorter and shorter. I have the same type of husband. I cut my hair for him. Now I resent him. I've pretty much gotten him straightened out on the fact that if he wants a short haired woman, then he wants somebody else. If he ever mentions liking the 'short and sassy look' again, I'll get him a poster of Twiggy or something.

AmyBeth
September 24th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Microtrimming is always my standard answer. You get to keep your length while evening it out. I don't know what your goal length is, or if you even have one, but if you want long hair, you're in it for the long haul. It will only grow as fast as it can, and I would be discouraged if for some reason I had to cut it all off at once. I truly understand wanting to please your husband. If my husband wanted me to cut mine, I'd think about it for a long time... and then tell him no way! But I think it would bother me-a little.

tlang
September 27th, 2014, 09:33 PM
I should clarify, my husband fully understands that it is my hair and i will make the final say, he loves me like that:)
And I cant believe i never thought of "microtrimming" it... as an ex-hairdresser i suggested that to people often when trying to even out their "oops" cuts.... Ah ... thank you ladies!

spidermom
September 27th, 2014, 09:49 PM
I'd have to get it evened out. Funny - I don't mind two-toned and even more-toned hair from dye growing out, but asymmetrical cuts make me crazy.

Johannah
September 28th, 2014, 02:34 AM
I'd trim your growth each month from the shoulder length sections while letting the shorter parts grow.

Yup, exactly this. :)

tlang
September 29th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Had a friend do the trimming in the back and it looked beautiful, decided to trim the front right (the long side) a bit and ended up making it *amost* even, a touch off but it looks really nice now, and i feel good about letting it just grow. So i'm counting October as my "start" month and i'll just check its growth each month and go from there:)

patchoulilove
September 29th, 2014, 07:14 PM
For what it's worth, as someone who had an asymmetrical bob in early 2013, I let mine grow and now I really love the little long piece. Mine was originally blended as an asymmetrical side-part fringe. Today that piece doesn't look out of place and can be kept hidden in an updo. Otherwise, it serves as great inspiration for my future growth. Basically, all I'm trying to say is: if your longer piece is mostly a blended fringe, don't worry about it. Particularly as a 2a/2b, your wavies will help to mask excess length.

Just wanted to share my :twocents: as someone who let the asymmetrical cut be.

:blossom:
patchoulilove

patchoulilove
September 29th, 2014, 07:17 PM
oops, just realized OP made a follow-up post. Don't I feel :doh: Carry on :D

tlang
September 30th, 2014, 06:39 AM
oops, just realized OP made a follow-up post. Don't I feel :doh: Carry on :D

lol, its fine, its still a bit "lopsided" so i will let *this* grow now:)