PDA

View Full Version : Hair "pouf" achieved in front

Madora
September 23rd, 2014, 01:36 PM
I've always intensely disliked hairstyles that were "skinned back", making the wearer look like an otter. After several attempts, I finally learned of a way to do a slight "pouf" at the front (and a trifle on the side). I am one happy camper!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/92314Poufachievedonnightbraidedbun.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/92314Poufachievedonnightbraidedbun.jpg.html)

How to "pouf" ..would probably work best on hair that is at least waist length

1) Bend at the waist
2) Bring all hair in front of you, like a curtain
3) Detangle all hair carefully
4) Bend head down so it is facing the floor
5) Grasp hair in hand, then divide in 3 parts for braiding.
6) Do not start the braid too close to the scalp! Try to start the braid half an inch or an inch up from scalp. This helps create the "pouf" at the end
7) Braid hair down to ends/secure with hair friendly elastic
8) Hold braid flat on top of head (a trifle towards the back of the head), coil. Pin with hairpins at the 4 directions.
9) With any luck, you have a braided bun..with a little "pouf" in front!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 23rd, 2014, 02:10 PM
Thanks for this, Madora. I wonder if it would work for other buns....

Sarden
September 23rd, 2014, 02:20 PM
double post

Sarden
September 23rd, 2014, 02:23 PM
making the wearer look like an otter.

Hahaha, this literally made me laugh out loud. I'm not ever going to see one of these women again and not think of an otter....

Thanks for the instructions though, they sound good. Will be attempting a non-otter style sometime soon!

Madora
September 23rd, 2014, 02:28 PM

I haven't the foggiest idea, Sarahlabyrinth. The secret is to have your head as far down as possible, and then when you do the braiding, start to braid an inch or so from the scalp, so that the hair next to the scalp is the teensiest bit "saggy". The "sag" is what creates the pouf when you are finished.

I don't know for certain, but I bet this might have been used by Victorian and Edwardian ladies, many of whom had beautiful poufs (much taller than mine).

@Sarden, please post your "pouf" picture when you can! I'm curious to see how it turns out on other long hairs.

meteor
September 23rd, 2014, 02:55 PM
Great stuff, Madora! :thumbsup: Thank you so much for sharing! :D

Yes, you can do poofs in different buns, just use accent braid/twist in the front for that effect:
1) make a small-ish braid or twist with front hair as if you are making a half-up of sorts - but don't braid/twist too close to your hairline;
2) push the twist/braid forward (to your forehead) a bit and either just leave it there or pin it down with bobby pins or a small barrette in that position for better hold;
3) incorporate that braid/twist into your bun;
4) if the accent braid/twist got flattened, pull it out gently forward (to your forehead).
It holds better on freshly washed hair or with some dry shampoo in the roots area.

If you do it in a braided bun, it will look a little bit like the simplified Ellingwoman bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14032), but it works with any bun! :)

rags
September 23rd, 2014, 03:11 PM
As an "otter woman" (that made me laugh!) I'm going to try this. My ultra fine and thin hair doesn't "poof" very well however. But maybe I can escape the drowned rodent look? :lol:

Kitten1030
September 23rd, 2014, 03:41 PM
Otter checking in:waving: Might have to try this. I always cheat and use one of those teeny tiny claw clips but then when my gray roots start to show you can see them on the sides. Like an otter with racing stripes.

embee
September 23rd, 2014, 03:45 PM
embee=otter

My stick straight thin fine hair does not poof nicely. :(

My best bet is to make a part, either center or on the side.

Lyv
September 23rd, 2014, 03:55 PM
Ohh I'll have to remember this for the future! When I could do a bun I rarely did it because I couldn't stand how flat it was in the front.

two_wheels
September 23rd, 2014, 03:59 PM
I am also an otter. Sadly, my weird cowlicks make the pouf a non-starter :violin:
Oh well, otters can be cute too!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 23rd, 2014, 04:02 PM
I am an otter too. Sigh. From the front I look bald.

Entangled
September 23rd, 2014, 04:24 PM
I just did this(unknowingly) before a scalp only wash...never again. I should have foreseen the tangles.

Nadine <3
September 23rd, 2014, 04:33 PM
I've been making poufs for years! I just grab my growing out bangs and comb them up with a fine toothed comb, twist them and pin them down with bobby pins. I probably did a bang up job explaining that haha

LongCurlyTress
September 23rd, 2014, 06:56 PM
I've always intensely disliked hairstyles that were "skinned back", making the wearer look like an otter. After several attempts, I finally learned of a way to do a slight "pouf" at the front (and a trifle on the side). I am one happy camper!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/92314Poufachievedonnightbraidedbun.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/92314Poufachievedonnightbraidedbun.jpg.html)

How to "pouf" ..would probably work best on hair that is at least waist length

1) Bend at the waist
2) Bring all hair in front of you, like a curtain
3) Detangle all hair carefully
4) Bend head down so it is facing the floor
5) Grasp hair in hand, then divide in 3 parts for braiding.
6) Do not start the braid too close to the scalp! Try to start the braid half an inch or an inch up from scalp. This helps create the "pouf" at the end
7) Braid hair down to ends/secure with hair friendly elastic
8) Hold braid flat on top of head (a trifle towards the back of the head), coil. Pin with hairpins at the 4 directions.
9) With any luck, you have a braided bun..with a little "pouf" in front!

Hi Madora! I love this! It's also kind of a Gibson Girl look too. Thanks for posting the directions! Hope you are doing well!! :):blossom:

dellad
September 23rd, 2014, 07:46 PM
Another self confessed otter here. I sometimes twist a small section of hair at the top of my head and secure with a bobby pin to escape the otter look.

Madora
September 23rd, 2014, 07:47 PM
Great stuff, Madora! :thumbsup: Thank you so much for sharing! :D

Yes, you can do poofs in different buns, just use accent braid/twist in the front for that effect:
1) make a small-ish braid or twist with front hair as if you are making a half-up of sorts - but don't braid/twist too close to your hairline;
2) push the twist/braid forward (to your forehead) a bit and either just leave it there or pin it down with bobby pins or a small barrette in that position for better hold;
3) incorporate that braid/twist into your bun;
4) if the accent braid/twist got flattened, pull it out gently forward (to your forehead).
It holds better on freshly washed hair or with some dry shampoo in the roots area.

If you do it in a braided bun, it will look a little bit like the simplified Ellingwoman bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14032), but it works with any bun! :)

Thanks, Meteor. I also get great mini pouf when French lace braiding across my forehead (about an inch back from edge). Makes my day!

Madora
September 23rd, 2014, 07:50 PM
Ladies, no offense meant to you who are "otters" (which are cute!). The thing about slicked back hair is that it looks so severe and "schoolmarmish" (no offense, teachers!). Of course the severeness can be tempered by little whisps around the face (or bangs), but I loathe hair in my eyes, or blowing about.

Phexlyn
September 24th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Schoolmarm Ms Otter proudly checking in. Wasn't there a "thight-bunned mean ladies club" somewhere on the boards?

Thanks for the lovely instructions, Madora. The size of the pouf depends on where I part my hair, I'm not sure if this is true for others as well. If I take more hair from the front (like from temple to temple) in one section, it gets bigger than if I only take a section from eye to eye. Does that make sense?

I don't know for certain, but I bet this might have been used by Victorian and Edwardian ladies, many of whom had beautiful poufs (much taller than mine).

I think at least some of these ladies cheated by using hair rats, but for daily styling this is an easy option.

LadyCelestina
September 24th, 2014, 07:03 AM
This doesn't work for me with LHC buns,Sarahlabyrinth,it falls down and I end up with a kind of a 'sag' look not 'pouf' look.

Madora
September 24th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Otter checking in:waving: Might have to try this. I always cheat and use one of those teeny tiny claw clips but then when my gray roots start to show you can see them on the sides. Like an otter with racing stripes.

:D"...Like an otter with racing stripes." Oh, God, that is hysterical, Kitten! I needed that chuckle! Thanks!

Madora
September 24th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Schoolmarm Ms Otter proudly checking in. Wasn't there a "thight-bunned mean ladies club" somewhere on the boards?

Thanks for the lovely instructions, Madora. The size of the pouf depends on where I part my hair, I'm not sure if this is true for others as well. If I take more hair from the front (like from temple to temple) in one section, it gets bigger than if I only take a section from eye to eye. Does that make sense?

I'm curious, Phexlyn, where do you place the part? Is it more towards the front (right in front of the ears, running from one ear, up and across the head to the front of the other ear?). That would be an interesting variation.

Yep, those ladies cheated with all kinds of hair helpers, the "rats" in particular. Some of the Edwardian cabinet photos I've seen on the 'Net are positively preposterous with the height of some of the styles! I always liked a good "Gibson girl", but while the style was wildly popular, not everyone knew how to pull it off so that it looked stylish.

I think at least some of these ladies cheated by using hair rats, but for daily styling this is an easy option.

Yes, there was a thread a long time ago about the "tight bunned, mean ladies club". Very funny!

Gertrude
September 24th, 2014, 07:30 AM
The Edwardian pouf was made with rats and frizzing the hair with a curling iron and back-combing it. There was a practical reason for it in that hats of the era were huge and needed several hat pins, of very stout nature, to hold the hat on the wearer's head. Those lethal pins were then stuck through the rats and helper hair pieces. The hair was built up to support the picture hats.

You can easily and less painfully buy two of those foam doughnuts for sock buns, with the press-studs. You undo both, join their press-studs to make a long sausage, have lots of your hair at the front over your face, then pin on the sausage and carefully arrange your hair over the modern rats and hey presto, Gibson girl.

Works really only in thick hair, and preferably wavy hair but when it works it's amazing in a good way.

I hope I am a cute otter as well, my hair does not pouf and it separates revealing the rat/doughnut/sockbun form (-;

Madora
September 24th, 2014, 07:38 AM
The Edwardian pouf was made with rats and frizzing the hair with a curling iron and back-combing it. There was a practical reason for it in that hats of the era were huge and needed several hat pins, of very stout nature, to hold the hat on the wearer's head. Those lethal pins were then stuck through the rats and helper hair pieces. The hair was built up to support the picture hats.

You can easily and less painfully buy two of those foam doughnuts for sock buns, with the press-studs. You undo both, join their press-studs to make a long sausage, have lots of your hair at the front over your face, then pin on the sausage and carefully arrange your hair over the modern rats and hey presto, Gibson girl.

Works really only in thick hair, and preferably wavy hair but when it works it's amazing in a good way.

I hope I am a cute otter as well, my hair does not pouf and it separates revealing the rat/doughnut/sockbun form (-;

Thanks for the interesting info, Gertrude. Those Edwardian ladies were clever in how they used artifice to create such stunning updos. Yes, the craze for picture hats (especially The Merry Widow hat) was something else in that era! The hatmakers had quite a field day concocting ever more extravagant creations for their patrons. Kind of sad that hats have pretty much vanished from the scene ... except at Ascot and special occasions, like the Royal Wedding. I think Mrs. Jacqueline Kennedy was the last American to really have much interest in hats. Her pillbox chapeau was famous.

Majorane
September 24th, 2014, 07:46 AM
I love poufs! And I will pouf like this when I braid in the future!
But does anyone know of a way to pouf (without clippies) when doing a stickbun? Because I love my stickbuns and I don't have enough hair for braided stickbuns, so i look like an otter onna stick. Which is a look that can be very flattering, but alas not so much for me.

Also: Pouf! Pouf! Phhooouf! I love the word pouf.

stachelbeere
September 24th, 2014, 08:03 AM
haha! this is how I do my paranda top knots :D

velorutionista
September 24th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I love poufs! And I will pouf like this when I braid in the future!
But does anyone know of a way to pouf (without clippies) when doing a stickbun? Because I love my stickbuns and I don't have enough hair for braided stickbuns, so i look like an otter onna stick. Which is a look that can be very flattering, but alas not so much for me.

Also: Pouf! Pouf! Phhooouf! I love the word pouf.

I just tug (gently!) at the top front section of hair (tugging away from bun, toward face) once the bun is up, and that usually gives me a little pouf/height in front (unless it's very dirty hair). I also find it helps to dry my front section of hair twisted and poufed (using a mini claw clippie while drying), as that sets me up for good poufage (that's a word, m'kay?) till next wash.

Majorane
September 24th, 2014, 11:02 AM
I just tug (gently!) at the top front section of hair (tugging away from bun, toward face) once the bun is up, and that usually gives me a little pouf/height in front (unless it's very dirty hair). I also find it helps to dry my front section of hair twisted and poufed (using a mini claw clippie while drying), as that sets me up for good poufage (that's a word, m'kay?) till next wash.

I'll try that! Less vigorous than I am now doing! So my bun doesn't get yanked to shreds. Thanks!
Poufage poufage poufage

Savvyhorsez
September 24th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Looks really great Madora!

Madora
September 24th, 2014, 04:00 PM

Ah, ha, someone else does the slight tugging towards the front, away from bun! I did this too, years ago, but was very, very careful with those front hairs because they are so delicate! You have to be sure that the back part of the hair has enough "give" to allow you to pull those tiny hairs forward. But yes, a pouf was worth the risk!

Hmmm...poufage. Can we give it a French twist and call it "Pouf-ahge"? A little bit o class!

@Thanks very much, savvyhorsez!

TrapperCreekD
September 24th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Another otter checking in! I've started experimenting with poufs, but most of the time I'm sporting the otter look because I'm clueless in the part department. I'll have to try this.

Phexlyn
September 25th, 2014, 02:48 AM
I'm curious, Phexlyn, where do you place the part? Is it more towards the front (right in front of the ears, running from one ear, up and across the head to the front of the other ear?). That would be an interesting variation.
Okay, this is kind of hard to explain so I made a little sketch:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13267&d=1411634495
The arrow is basically where your nose should be. I leave the front section in one piece, but someone with thicker hair could get away with parting the front section and leaving the back in one piece (which would make it easier to combat the sag in the back). I'm still experimenting with the width of the front section, but yes, from ear to ear seems like a good starting point. Choosing a narrower section results in a smaller pouf on me.

Ingrid
September 25th, 2014, 03:21 AM
Hehehe, Poufage... nice one, Madora :lol:

Mimha
September 25th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Ha ha ha Madora, I am sad to inform you that I love otters and otter-like looks :D :D :D I hope that this will not hamper our LHC friendship^^

In fact I have a very high hairline (due to a very large forehead), and trying to take some part of my hair to poof it reduces still more the quantity of hair able to carry the weight of my updoes, so I gave up poofing strategies (for updoes, at least). My mother - who was young in the 60ties with ultra poofing backcombed hair - often told me that I should poof mine a little bit "because I look bold, severe, too old, too much classic dancer, and gnagnagna". So I ended up being anti-poofing as a protest reaction, and Jennifer-Lopez-like bun lover, hi hi hi hi hi :D

Madora
September 25th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Okay, this is kind of hard to explain so I made a little sketch:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13267&d=1411634495
The arrow is basically where your nose should be. I leave the front section in one piece, but someone with thicker hair could get away with parting the front section and leaving the back in one piece (which would make it easier to combat the sag in the back). I'm still experimenting with the width of the front section, but yes, from ear to ear seems like a good starting point. Choosing a narrower section results in a smaller pouf on me.

Thanks for the terrific diagram and explanation, Phexlyn! I'm gonna have to play around with that!
@Mimha .. I commiserate with you about your high forehead problem! Nice to read that you have found other ways to deal with your hair. I think poufing is an acquired taste..either you like it..or you don't. That's what makes hairstyling so much fun. Your imagination can run wild!

Mimha
September 25th, 2014, 09:10 AM
I don't dislike poofing as such, actually. On the contrary, I like to see a nice hairstyle with volume, that fits the person well ! It is just that it doesn't work well on me^^
Concerning hairstyling, I still have so much to learn !! You long-haired godesses will sure inspire me !.. ;)

Madora
September 25th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I don't dislike poofing as such, actually. On the contrary, I like to see a nice hairstyle with volume, that fits the person well ! It is just that it doesn't work well on me^^
Concerning hairstyling, I still have so much to learn !! You long-haired godesses will sure inspire me !.. ;)

Oh, yes! Inspiration from so many corners! It's great!

GetMeToWaist
September 25th, 2014, 10:01 AM
haha i look perpetually like an otter! will be trying this one.

hanne jensen
September 26th, 2014, 01:10 AM
I always try to have a little pouf as I have a horse face. I like more poufage at the sides than at the front as it widens my head. For other buns than braiding I brush my hair forward and start the twist or fold about 5 centimeters from my head. The pouf forms it's self.

Phexlyn
September 26th, 2014, 02:00 AM
You're very welcome, Madora. Have fun playing around!

Mimha, I think this is just a question of personal taste. I have a high forehead, too, but I prefer volume because it makes my hair look like there's more of it ;)
Have you tried hairstyles with side poofs? Like rolling in the sides with a middle or side part and getting a bit of volume there? Or rolling the sides like for a Gibson tuck?

Something like this style (http://www.thefrisky.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/21/Victory-Rolls.jpg), or that one. (http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Frapunzelsresource.files .wordpress.com%2F2010%2F07%2Fgibson-61.jpg%253Fw%253D300%2526h%253D400&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Frapunzelsresource.wordpress .com%2F2010%2F07%2F07%2Fgibson-roll%2F&h=400&w=300&tbnid=c33aoHnHLhj_AM%3A&zoom=1&docid=zt2-nB7W4NaPQM&ei=_hslVMruGIffPd2HgcgO&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=3824&page=1&start=0&ndsp=33&ved=0CHkQrQMwGw)

Just a suggestion, though, if you'd like to try something new :flower:.

Mimha
September 26th, 2014, 02:38 AM

Mimha, I think this is just a question of personal taste. I have a high forehead, too, but I prefer volume because it makes my hair look like there's more of it ;)
Have you tried hairstyles with side poofs? Like rolling in the sides with a middle or side part and getting a bit of volume there? Or rolling the sides like for a Gibson tuck?

Something like this style (http://www.thefrisky.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/21/Victory-Rolls.jpg), or that one. (http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Frapunzelsresource.files .wordpress.com%2F2010%2F07%2Fgibson-61.jpg%253Fw%253D300%2526h%253D400&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Frapunzelsresource.wordpress .com%2F2010%2F07%2F07%2Fgibson-roll%2F&h=400&w=300&tbnid=c33aoHnHLhj_AM%3A&zoom=1&docid=zt2-nB7W4NaPQM&ei=_hslVMruGIffPd2HgcgO&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=3824&page=1&start=0&ndsp=33&ved=0CHkQrQMwGw)

Wahou Phexlyn ! Those updoes are SO lovely !!!! Thanks for your concern ! I think indeed that they would suit me better than an "upper pouf" ^^
I will try to post a picture of my "lateral poufs" trial tonight, so that you can see and advise me.

Madora : I find this "pouf" concept so funny, lol. It will sure remain as part of the LHC technical vocabulary from now on !! :D

Agnes Hannah
September 26th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Ladies, no offense meant to you who are "otters" (which are cute!). The thing about slicked back hair is that it looks so severe and "schoolmarmish" (no offense, teachers!). Of course the severeness can be tempered by little whisps around the face (or bangs), but I loathe hair in my eyes, or blowing about.

Oohh! I'm an otterised teacher!!:poot::poot::poot::poot::lala:

Phexlyn
September 26th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Wahou Phexlyn ! Those updoes are SO lovely !!!! Thanks for your concern ! I think indeed that they would suit me better than an "upper pouf" ^^
I will try to post a picture of my "lateral poufs" trial tonight, so that you can see and advise me.

I'm glad you like them!! "Lateral poufs" is a great word for them. I enjoy doing the victory rolls (first one) every now and then, but it requires a bit of practice to get them even, so don't despair if they're not perfect on the first try. Looking forward to the pictures!!

Mimha
September 26th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Hi Phexlyn and Madora, my poufing advisors :)

Here are the pictures of my trial for "lateral and back poufing" ... you will notice that the top of my head has remained flat^^

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/674/Tf3uJA.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/iqTf3uJAj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/908/r3VzZk.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/p8r3VzZkj)

... and for a comparison, here is my usual ultra tight style of updo (which I feel "really myself" with) :

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/673/vDjzpv.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/ipvDjzpvj)

... and the cause of the problem : my very high hairline with which makes me lose a lot of surface of hair on the top of my head (and therefore not enough hair to support heavy updoes, all the more if I "pouf" a part of it). Actually, I could pouf a little bit if I let my hair down... but I am not convinced of my look, then... It does not fit with my "inner self", maybe, ha ha ha

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/538/0qUTEA.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/ey0qUTEAj)

Madora
September 26th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Hi Phexlyn and Madora, my poufing advisors :)

Here are the pictures of my trial for "lateral and back poufing" ... you will notice that the top of my head has remained flat^^

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/674/Tf3uJA.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/iqTf3uJAj)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/908/r3VzZk.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/p8r3VzZkj)

... and for a comparison, here is my usual ultra tight style of updo (which I feel "really myself" with) :

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/673/vDjzpv.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/ipvDjzpvj)

... and the cause of the problem : my very high hairline with which makes me lose a lot of surface of hair on the top of my head (and therefore not enough hair to support heavy updoes, all the more if I "pouf" a part of it). Actually, I could pouf a little bit if I let my hair down... but I am not convinced of my look, then... It does not fit with my "inner self", maybe, ha ha ha

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/538/0qUTEA.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/ey0qUTEAj)

Thank you for the lovely photos, Mimha! I really like the pouffies! Very elegant and a soft romantic look.

Your tight style with your hair drawn back looks very elegant too. You have the bone structure to bring it off (so did Audrey Hepburn). You remind me of a flamenco dancer! Very chic and stylish!

SongofLove
September 27th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Ooh great thread! I have a high forehead too and would love to create a poof in this way-- nice tutorial! For myself I create a poof by clipping my bangs/fringe in a certain way with small clips hehe

Phexlyn
September 27th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Mimha, thank you for the lovely photos!
Your daily tight French Twist suits you really well - it really shows off your pretty face and elegant neck. But the lateral poufs are a great style for you, too, if you want a more romantic look. The earrings complement it perfectly!

Madora
September 27th, 2014, 07:06 AM

Phexlyn, do you have a link for a tutorial for the first photo, the picture of the blonde lady with the dark top? Most becoming!

Mimha
September 27th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Thanks for your nice encouragements and compliments, ladies ! :oops: :oops:
SongofLove : Yes, clipping a fringe backward and have it "poufing" up is a nice way to completely change your look with just a little thing ! :)
Madora... this evening I came across the "macros" thread and I could not resist to place you a special post... just about this so funny "poufing-and-otters" issue ! here is the link for you to enjoy ! ;) (hope you won't feel puzzled : it is purely friendly and for fun !!) and by the way, thanks for your very flattering comment :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121839&page=49&p=2832840#post2832840

Mimha
September 27th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Thanks for your nice encouragements and compliments, ladies ! :oops: :oops:
SongofLove : Yes, clipping a fringe backward and have it "poufing" up is a nice way to completely change your look with just a little thing ! :)
Madora... this evening I came across the "macros" thread and I could not resist to place you a special post... just about this so funny "poufing-and-otters" issue ! here is the link for you to enjoy ! ;) (hope you won't feel puzzled : it is purely friendly and for fun !!) and by the way, thanks for your very flattering comment :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121839&page=49&p=2832840#post2832840

Phexlyn
October 3rd, 2014, 07:23 AM
Phexlyn, do you have a link for a tutorial for the first photo, the picture of the blonde lady with the dark top? Most becoming!
I don't have a specific tutorial to recommend. Mostly because it's difficult with very long hair. The style you're going for is called "Victory Rolls" (that's the front part), and then some sort of rolling in the sides and bunning in the back. I've successfully done this with just rolling the front parts and then a cinnbun or flipped cinnabun at the back with the rest of the hair.

Here are a couple of links to get you started, but there's really a lot of variation out there, depending on where exactly you want to put the rolls, if you want a symmetrical look or not, and so on... just search for "victory rolls" and you'll find tons of suggestions (ignore all the teasing and spraying parts, it's not necessary in most cases)!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiNuMHD_vcM (you can skip the intro if you like, the first style starts at 1:41, and she shows a couple of different rolls)
http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2012/02/how-to-style-victory-rolls.html
http://careforhair.co.uk/jane-aldridges-low-ponytail-with-victory-rolls-hairstyle-tutorial
http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/11/diy-hair-friday-classic-casual-victory-rolls/

If you put the rest of your hair in a bun, you can forego the pin curl setting, of course. I'm not sure if curling the hair this way would even be possible with your beautiful mane. Have fun experimenting and let me know if it works for you!