PDA

View Full Version : Curly hair question

mamaherrera
September 23rd, 2014, 12:18 AM
I am a 2C with M/C hair and medium density. My clumps are bugging me because they are all transparent. I vary, as having thick clumps/skinny clumps, doesn't matter, it's like either I"m lacking hair (i get paranoid) or the hairs are not sticking together. I'll link my pics of my curls/straightened hair, but you can't see what I'm describing when all the clumps are together, because then it looks all full, but if you lift up a single clump, it's transparent and it bugs me, especially the ends are terrible, but at least I understand why the ends would look like that. But like I said, even if I straighten it, the hairs all are transparent/separated. Just wondering if it's a curly think, a "lack of hair" thing or something my hair needs/doesn't need thing. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12006
My daughter who has 4.25" ponytail, and is a 1C/2A has big thick clumps, but completely filled in, no transparency and I get jealous. I might have poofier hair, bigger volume, but it's obvious to everyone that it's all air because you can see the clumps are "airy" Thanks for any ideas!:golf:

diddiedaisy
September 23rd, 2014, 01:56 AM
Sorry to be of no help but I think your hair looks like normal curly hair. I don't think you can compare it to your daughters 1c hair as the curls are completely different and will clump very differently. If your hair didn't clump as it does and clumped like a 1c you would have frizzy hair instead. Someone with 2c curls like yourself may come along and say otherwise, but I think your hair looks nice.

mamaherrera
September 23rd, 2014, 02:33 AM
Thanks for your opinion, but the people I see with 1C hair, don't have frizz, they have big "stretched out" waves, but they are not see-through, almost like "straight hair" all together, but in big S waves, so they clump, but mine clump and like clump only to the halfway point, they don't clump completely.

Hootenanny
September 23rd, 2014, 07:33 AM
I think your pictures look lovely, mamaherrera. Your hair looks great and you look great! As far as your question goes, I'm not totally understanding it. What part of the clump looks transparent? The ends? Could you maybe take a pic of just one clump with a sheet of white paper behind it, so that we can see what you are talking about?

lapushka
September 23rd, 2014, 07:42 AM
*Again*, I see nothing wrong with your hair. At some point, it's going to have to come down to accepting your mane, hun. ;)

Santi
September 23rd, 2014, 07:59 AM
I understand what you mean by "airy". I have virgin hair that has more density than my permed ends.

I like the way my Denman brush clumps my curls. I use it on wash days after my hair is detangled & i've applied product. I scrunch the ends & air dry. If I feel that any clumps need to be separated then I will do so when it's completely dried.

Knifegill
September 23rd, 2014, 10:18 AM
That's great hair! Don't fuss! ;P

mamaherrera
September 23rd, 2014, 12:15 PM
No not fussing, just like to play with my curls and that's a good idea about taking a picture of one against a white paper. I will do so in a day or so, but not now because I just mastered my first braided bun with no ponytail holder :applause. but yeah it's like it starts far up clumped nice together (I do think it's not a "lack of hair thing") because like I said, it can be a skimpy clump or a thick one, but like once it gets to eye level, the clump almost starts coming apart, the hairs, which makes it look "airy" My husband says that the people who have these "stuck together" clumps use tons of product, which keeps the hairs together, maybe that's it. I use no product. But my daughter uses no product and her clumps stick together. But he says that's because she's more "straight" hair than curly. Just thought other curlies would chime in. In a day or so I'll post a pic of the clump. I thought maybe it's a moisture thing or a "need Product" thing.

ladonna
September 23rd, 2014, 12:30 PM
My hair look very similar to yours. You have very pretty hair!
Are you wanting more like ringlet clumps or are you meaning that hairstyle where the person uses a bunch of gel and scrunches to make kind of crunchy waves?
My waves and curls tend to be all over the place and the hair at the top of my hair has waves/curls that are a lot bigger than the back of my head. I bun or French braid so my hair looks more uniform throughout and not big and crazy.

mamaherrera
September 23rd, 2014, 12:59 PM
Yeah who knows. I don't know if it's the coarseness of the hair or the curliness of the hair, but I would like ringlet clumps, but that stick together. I get no curl at the top of my head. So you're lucky there, but no. . . I want the bouncy ringlet curl, not the weighed down look, BUT . . . I want that look with the "Stuck together" clumps, so I don't know if that's only achievable with gel or more moisture, so my hairs stick together more, I don't know! Just was brainstorming it out.

ladonna
September 23rd, 2014, 01:10 PM
Have you tried doing small buns all over you head or overnight heatless curls? There are lots of YouTube videos. Maybe use some mouse when you hair is damp, the do whatever curl technique you choose, and then a bit of hairspray before you separate the curls.

mamaherrera
September 23rd, 2014, 01:47 PM
Thanks, we'll see if it helps. I'll post a pic of virgin hair in a clump in the next day or so.

McFearless
September 23rd, 2014, 05:44 PM
Your hair is beautiful. Strands of curly hair don't lay on top of one another the way straight strands do. They clump together, forming little gaps of space from where you can see through to other curls or your clothes underneath. It is totally normal.

mamaherrera
September 24th, 2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks, but my transparency issue isn't from one clump to the next, it's the clump itself, that doesn't stay compacted, but rather the clump itself is transparent. Hope that makes sense, I'll put a pic up soon of one of my clumps freshly washed.

CurlyCap
September 24th, 2014, 01:07 AM
Your hair is more wavy than curly, and so it's going to have shape and body, but not necessarily the structured curl that holds it's shape through hail and lightening. This isn't a bad thing. It's just how your hair is and there isn't a thing wrong with it!

Also, remember that the "perfect" curl is a myth. No matter the hair type, LHC is a testament that it often takes product, practice and technique to figure out exactly what each head of hair needs. For people with very curly hair, people assume the curls are just perfect when in actually it takes work to make every ringlet uniform, dense, and a perfect spiral. Usually, it's dozens of frizzy, weird, broken curls for every naturally occurring perfect curl on our head. With waves, even more coaxing is involved because, it seems, you can sneeze oddly and change the way your hair is going to dry.

One of the key things about having hair that isn't 1A is realizing that your hair can and likely will do something different every single, freakin' day. In some ways, that's cool. It's what gives the hair life and movement. But it can also be frustrating because it means that you have to get very good at just rolling with non-perfect hair.

Fira
September 24th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Your hair is more wavy than curly, and so it's going to have shape and body, but not necessarily the structured curl that holds it's shape through hail and lightening. This isn't a bad thing. It's just how your hair is and there isn't a thing wrong with it!

Also, remember that the "perfect" curl is a myth. No matter the hair type, LHC is a testament that it often takes product, practice and technique to figure out exactly what each head of hair needs. For people with very curly hair, people assume the curls are just perfect when in actually it takes work to make every ringlet uniform, dense, and a perfect spiral. Usually, it's dozens of frizzy, weird, broken curls for every naturally occurring perfect curl on our head. With waves, even more coaxing involved because, it seems, you can sneeze oddly and change the way your hair is going to dry.

One of the key things about having hair that isn't 1A is realizing that your hair can and likely will do something different every single, freakin' day. In some ways, that's cool. It's what gives the body life and movement. But it can also be frustrating because it means that you have to get very good at just rolling with non-perfect hair.

I haven't seen your pictures because I am a new member, but my hair clumps too, so I can relate. Also I have fine and thin hair - and it clumps... Soooo... ;)

But I totally agree with CurlyCap!!! That is so so so true with waves and curls!!! :D

lapushka
September 24th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Yes, CurlyCap said it right! I have non-perfect waves all over, making my head of hair appear wild. I just embrace it. What else can you do? Complain? ;) It's not going to make it any different!

mamaherrera
September 24th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I like my crazy waves/curls, . .. and yes I know I'm not a true curly, just a "wanna-be" :-)) but please do look at my pics when I put them up in a couple days so that you all can let me know if maybe my curls are lacking moisture or something. Thanks

lapushka
September 24th, 2014, 02:22 PM
If you think you're lacking moisture, add more conditioner into the mix, try it and see if it makes any difference.

Knifegill
September 24th, 2014, 11:14 PM
My hair clumps ahead of and behind my ears fresh out of the shower. I have to manually separate these lobes or I end up with what look like dog ears and a scalp window above each ear.

It's true about the sneezing. Curls all set, and then the humidity climbed today and now my head looks like a ball of feathers. Wurly's can't win. At least tight curlies know what to expect.

mamaherrera
September 25th, 2014, 02:39 AM
delete
repeat

mamaherrera
September 25th, 2014, 02:40 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/128165614@N08/15162317128/https://www.flickr.com/photos/128165614@N08/15162192410/
These are two pics of my curls, against white paper, they look full, but against my hand is what they look like to me, very transparent or very separated.

mamaherrera
September 25th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Obviously click on the link to see the other one. I'm new at flicker.

Here are two pics, against white paper they look more "full" but against my hand is how I see them. Thoughts, opinions??
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3843/15162317128_1a6f496c5d_s.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3886/15162192410_052aef64cb_s.jpg

lapushka
September 25th, 2014, 02:53 AM

Here are two pics, against white paper they look more "full" but against my hand is how I see them. Thoughts, opinions??

Yes? And? I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at. Those are nice wurls. That's it. :shrug:

Fira
September 25th, 2014, 06:21 AM

I think your wurls are lovely.
I did remember something - years ago they styled some model's hair that had relaxed curls/wurls in this way: when you wear them down you use some light conditioner/oil thing (or whatever suits you), rub it on the palms of your hands and rub it to each wurl (to the length). You somehow turn it around your fingers to make it stay together and it becomes more elaborate and tight. Man I am having a hard time explaining... It is just so that it doesn't frizz or clump and so on. It should work with your M/C hair. It does take some time. I don't know if that helps at all. :o

mamaherrera
September 25th, 2014, 12:37 PM
so just to understand, it's more the texture of the hair, not the curliness that can cause it to not want to stick together?? I just thought it was interesting, so thanks for taking a look. Cuz my daughter, like I said, she has M and C hair, but also Fine strands, but her little curls in front (around her face) are so tight, "way less hair in those little curls" but they are tight and not "see through" Maybe it does have to do with the "relaxed curl" (I mean, the fact that I"m not curly), probably a 2B no, or a 2C? I see what you're saying, I saw a woman in the pool bathroom, she was good at it, but it's like she grabbed each curl (don't know if she had product) and twisted each one and threw it back. Maybe if they were tighter curls, they would "stick together" more, and maybe that's why my hair tends to just look big, even though it's not really that much hair, just a normal density. Here's my second attempt at "flicker pics" it's the same picture, but I just want to try and get better at them coming up here. Thanks https://www.flickr.com/photos/128165614@N08/15162317128/in/set-72157647951440156/

spirals
September 25th, 2014, 12:44 PM
If I understand you correctly, you want more clumped, fat wurls/spirals. What worked for me previous to LHC was to rinse out my conditioner while bent over at the waist and then scrunch a mix of leave-in and gel (with castor oil and glycerin in it) into my sopping-wet hair. The extra water helped distribute the products. Then I'd squeeze out the excess water a bit. The product would still stay in. I would do all this while bent over and then wrap in a microfiber towel while in the shower. I would take it down and not comb out at all and airdry. I'd get fat, shiny, not transparent spirals.

mamaherrera
September 25th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Thanks Spirals, I will try. I know that upside down really helps me. Like I said, I just want some buffed up, fat/ "full" spirals", so I don't look like I"m just air, no hair!!

PS Can anyone tell me how to get pictures consistently transferred from flicker to here?? Thanks