PDA

View Full Version : Surgery and hair care

Sparklylady82
September 21st, 2014, 10:34 PM
Hello! I'm having surgery on Friday (I'm having my tubes tied). I will be able to wash my hair before but I'm not sure what to expect regarding recovery. It should be a pretty speedy recovery time if all goes well. Is there any advice on how I should wear my hair the day of and after? I'm just picturing a matted mess! My husband can braid pretty well and I have daughters so I can always have them care for it. It might be nice to have a hair care thread regarding surgery or illness where people can talk and share stories or hair tips.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 21st, 2014, 10:38 PM
I'm thinking a French braid will hold up pretty well for several days without allowing too much tangling. Best of luck with your surgery!:)

Nadine <3
September 21st, 2014, 10:42 PM
I'd say wash the night before the surgery and put it into some sort of braid. French braid, or twin french braids. Whatever you find most comfortable for laying around in. I'm not sure what recovery all entails but if you get greasy and it bothers you you can have your husband or your daughter help you wash it and re-braid, but I would just try and leave it be until I was up to showering. Having a dry shampoo handy could be nice and you could always give yourself a scalp massage to help spread sebum.

I hope the surgery goes well and recovery time isn't to long!:blossom:

RapunzelKat
September 21st, 2014, 11:09 PM
Another vote for the French braid here. :) I had an emergency appendectomy a few weeks ago - by chance my hair was in a French braid that day. The braid stayed for about three days if I remember correctly, before I took it out. (It was super-messy, but still hanging on! :lol:) My hair and scalp did act up for about ten days after, but that was probably at least partially due to the fact that I was too sore/weak to care for it properly. Sounds like you're well covered there! :D

I hope your surgery goes smoothly, and you have a quick and easy recovery! :flowers:

Rushli
September 22nd, 2014, 12:49 AM
If recovery is anything like a c-section, I could take a shower within 24 hours with no assistance. (I believe it was closer to 12 hours with my first 2; complications prolonged the second.) It was only that long because I had to wait for the spinal to wear off. The hospital had walk in showers. Help might be needed with stepping over a tub wall when you are wet and slippery. This last time I french braided my hair. It kept it out of the way nicely. My hair is slippery so the part not on my head slips out when it rubbed on the pillow in bed, so I french braided it myself after a couple hours of recovery with no trouble.

Hope all goes well with your surgery!

Phexlyn
September 22nd, 2014, 01:09 AM
If you'll be on your back for a longer time during the surgery, a single French braid may be uncomfortable beneath your back. So if that is a concern, try using two French braids. They don't necessarily look very nice after a couple of days, but you won't have to mess with them! Or you could try a bun right on top of your head.

How do you wear your hair at night? If you are used to a braid/bun anyway, I'd do something similar because you want to get some good sleep after the surgery!

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery :flower:

Madora
September 22nd, 2014, 07:26 AM
I'd say stick with simple..dual side braids. No having to mess with "French" braiding. Easy to redo if needed. Good luck with the surgery!

jacqueline101
September 22nd, 2014, 09:19 AM
I'd wash the night before and braid my hair either French or English braids. I'd pick them because they hold well and if you get greasy hair braids help hide it.

joflakes
September 22nd, 2014, 10:37 AM
When I went into hospital, I did four french braids and they help up for about five days and weren't painful on my head. I just did them the night before when I washed my hair! :) Good luck!

embee
September 22nd, 2014, 12:44 PM
You should have no problems with your hair. I had a tubal some 30+ years ago and the next day we left on vacation... I don't even recall any question of baths or hair washing, but I know there were a couple of bandaids and I was concerned they might fall off and my insides fall out. They didn't. ;)

I wear my hair in a topknot at night and that's what I'd plan for surgery.

My biggest problem was a headache from anesthesia, but surely in 30+ years they've improved *that*!

Be well!

gthlvrmx
September 22nd, 2014, 12:51 PM
Twin english braids are good it's simple and good to do.

Federica
September 23rd, 2014, 05:47 AM
Twin regular or french braids, it's a comfortable style and it's easy to redo!

Angela_Rose
September 23rd, 2014, 07:55 AM
Every time I've had surgery (three nose reconstructions, one knee repair), I've put mine into two French braids and used a satin pillowcase. Thankfully I have stretched my washes so going without a shampoo/condition for a week (two, in the case of my knee surgery) wasn't a problem.

Good luck and may you have a speedy and uneventful healing!

ReneeG
September 23rd, 2014, 09:11 AM
I got for French braid or 2! I had emergency surgery 2x last year with my hair down and it sucked. Granted, my surgery was on my chest and I was unable to lift my arms enough to French braid my own hair, the English braid I put it in was inadequate as laying on the pillow pulled the shorter canopy hairs out of the braid throughout the day. If you'll have someone available to re brush and braid your hair then any braid should do, but I would definitely recommend one or two French braids otherwise. It is a really good opportunity to stretch washes though if you're trying to right now! I was unable to shower for a week due to the nature of my surgery, so I just kept re rushing the sebum down the strands and was able to stretch my washes out quite a bit after that (every other day stretched to every 4 days).

Good luck on the surgery, I hope that all goes well and that you have a speedy recovery!

Sparklylady82
September 26th, 2014, 12:43 AM
If you'll be on your back for a longer time during the surgery, a single French braid may be uncomfortable beneath your back. So if that is a concern, try using two French braids. They don't necessarily look very nice after a couple of days, but you won't have to mess with them! Or you could try a bun right on top of your head.

How do you wear your hair at night? If you are used to a braid/bun anyway, I'd do something similar because you want to get some good sleep after the surgery!

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery :flower:

I usually do a bun on top of my head or a single french braid because I sleep on my side and double braids annoy me! I think I'll go for the double braid for surgery though. That way it'll be flat while I am in surgery. Thankyou for the well wishes!

Sparklylady82
September 26th, 2014, 12:45 AM
You should have no problems with your hair. I had a tubal some 30+ years ago and the next day we left on vacation... I don't even recall any question of baths or hair washing, but I know there were a couple of bandaids and I was concerned they might fall off and my insides fall out. They didn't. ;)

I wear my hair in a topknot at night and that's what I'd plan for surgery.

My biggest problem was a headache from anesthesia, but surely in 30+ years they've improved *that*!

Be well!

Ah good to know! I am glad it was an easy recovery for you and hopefully for me too! I think I am more nervous about the anesthesia than the actual surgery. Drugs in general make me panic :(

Sparklylady82
September 26th, 2014, 12:48 AM
I got for French braid or 2! I had emergency surgery 2x last year with my hair down and it sucked. Granted, my surgery was on my chest and I was unable to lift my arms enough to French braid my own hair, the English braid I put it in was inadequate as laying on the pillow pulled the shorter canopy hairs out of the braid throughout the day. If you'll have someone available to re brush and braid your hair then any braid should do, but I would definitely recommend one or two French braids otherwise. It is a really good opportunity to stretch washes though if you're trying to right now! I was unable to shower for a week due to the nature of my surgery, so I just kept re rushing the sebum down the strands and was able to stretch my washes out quite a bit after that (every other day stretched to every 4 days).

Good luck on the surgery, I hope that all goes well and that you have a speedy recovery!

Thankyou for the well wishes! I am hoping to be able to stretch my washes and let my hair go a little with this surgery, at least for the weekend!

spirals
September 26th, 2014, 12:59 AM
I'd say stick with simple..dual side braids. No having to mess with "French" braiding. Easy to redo if needed. Good luck with the surgery!

I second this. Laying on a french braid can be annoying to the scalp. Twin side braids are easier to undo and comb out and re-braid. Plus, they're cute. You can look cute while recuperating.

Would it be ok if I prayed for you?

lilin
September 26th, 2014, 01:05 AM
I'm assuming you're having it laparoscopically. I had a tubal about 2 years ago, and I was perfectly capable of performing basic self-care as soon as I got home (and it's usually out-patient surgery, so you will likely go home within a few hours barring complications). Pottering around the apartment, making a snack, whatever. I'd throw it in a braid or two so you can forget about it if you want to, and I would stretch a couple days before washing (I'm pretty sure they tell you not to bathe the wound for a day or two). But it's a very simple surgery and you should feel reasonably decent afterwards. No worries. :)

Best of luck, and speedy recovery!

Dreams_in_Pink
September 26th, 2014, 03:13 AM
I think a top knot would be best. Make sure you use a few U pins as well as a scrunci, for extra staying power. With a top knot, all possible friction damage from wearing the same style will be done to the under layers; canopy area will be up and protected.

ETA: Oh, forgot to add. A few years ago i got down with a bad case of flu, i couldn't wash my hair for 3 days straight. I oiled my scalp with castor oil and had to let it stay during the illness. After 3 days of looking like an oil slick, i got a huge growth spurt and had minimal shedding for a week :)

Quahatundightu
September 26th, 2014, 03:26 AM
For my last surgery I did a top knot bun although they wouldn't let me wear the claw clip I had it held with and I had to use a hair elastic instead. So there may be some toys, pins etc that you cannot wear into surgery. If I was doing it again I would do a braided topknot bun. I didn't want to do a braid that left it down because I was worried that they might get it somehow caught in their tools or that it could get in the way. I wouldn't want my hair to be damaged whilst unconscious.

Dreams_in_Pink
September 26th, 2014, 03:35 AM
So there may be some toys, pins etc that you cannot wear into surgery.

This is probably because they might need to do an MRI or xray anytime if something bad happens.

lapushka
September 26th, 2014, 04:33 AM
Since you have to be on your back for surgery, one braid is annoying. I'd wash before, as said earlier, and braid in two French braids.

AlexDig
September 26th, 2014, 05:14 AM
Here are my two cents as an anesthesiologist in training: I would do the two French braids like other ladies have suggested so you're not laying on the braid but I would bun the ends of the braids at the neck or possibly pin them over your head if you have really long hair because there's so much stuff going on at the head of the bed, you're hair could end up getting roughed up unnecessarily.

Angela_Rose
September 26th, 2014, 06:12 AM
One more tidbit- check and see if they're putting a surgical cap on you. Most of the time they will, and the pre-surgical team will probably be fine making sure your braids are tucked into it so they don't wildly flop around during surgery, or get caught on stuff. You'll probably be intubated and on a ventilator, and since you're having abdominal surgery, I can't imagine there being too much happening around your head that would endanger your tresses. Obviously there's monitoring of your breathing, but why that would interfere with your hair, I can't figure.

ARG
September 26th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I second the twin braids, but for myself I find dutch braids hold hair way better than french. I used ribbon hair ties to hold them.

Good luck, and speedy recovery!

Sparklylady82
September 26th, 2014, 12:12 PM
I second this. Laying on a french braid can be annoying to the scalp. Twin side braids are easier to undo and comb out and re-braid. Plus, they're cute. You can look cute while recuperating.

Would it be ok if I prayed for you?
I'd love it if you prayed for me, that is so sweet :-) surgery time is 1:30pm!

omgitssarah
September 26th, 2014, 01:28 PM
I just had arm surgery 2 days ago. my hair is still very short, so i dont have styling advice. i know bending forward at the waist is very uncomfortable for me, so having someone wash it over the sink is out of the question for me. im going to be taking a trip to great clips with my boyfriend because they will wash your hair for only a few dollars and it will be much more comfortable.

Sparklylady82
September 26th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Just checking in! My surgery went perfect and I'm now resting at home. I ended up doing two French braids an they put a surgical cap on over. I will be practicing some benine neglect this week just cause I can! Haha! Thanks so much for all of the advice here :-)

Sarahlabyrinth
September 26th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Glad to hear it all went well, I was hoping you would give us an update!:)

embee
September 26th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Good! Glad it all went well. I didn't think it would be a big deal. :) Laproscopy is miraculous, just amazing. Did they go in through your bellybutton? ;)

Lady Mary
September 26th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Just checking in! My surgery went perfect and I'm now resting at home. I ended up doing two French braids an they put a surgical cap on over. I will be practicing some benine neglect this week just cause I can! Haha! Thanks so much for all of the advice here :-)

Hey, that's great! Speedy recovery :)

Sparklylady82
September 26th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Good! Glad it all went well. I didn't think it would be a big deal. :) Laproscopy is miraculous, just amazing. Did they go in through your bellybutton? ;)

Yes they went through the belly button bit I also got two small insicions on my lower abdomen. They removed the entire tube! I guess they can cause cancer so they just remove them now when doing the tubal. So far the recovery is very easy. I have some cramping and I'm just really tired :-)

Sparklylady82
September 26th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Here are my two cents as an anesthesiologist in training: I would do the two French braids like other ladies have suggested so you're not laying on the braid but I would bun the ends of the braids at the neck or possibly pin them over your head if you have really long hair because there's so much stuff going on at the head of the bed, you're hair could end up getting roughed up unnecessarily.

You are right! They put a surgical cap over my head. I did the two French braids and since my hair isn't too long yet I just tucked them into the cap.

spirals
September 26th, 2014, 09:32 PM
That's good to know, that the surgery is simpler than it used to be. I'd be oiling my braid tassel every other day.

Rushli
September 26th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Glad it all went well!

lilin
September 29th, 2014, 08:25 PM

Glad it all went smoothly, and sending cookies!

Sparklylady82
September 30th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Thank you! You all are sweethearts!

lapushka
September 30th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I'm glad it went smoothly, have a good recovery time! :) :flower: